• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag-my001

Cross posting from the BBQ-GAF topic:

My back deck:
tmp_28136-20160123_095154603512604_zpsjaqkjerh.jpg

Tonight's dinner:
20160123_113342_zps0hfc29op.jpg

Yard stick on the deck shows 23" here, NW of Baltimore.

We have almost two feet in DC now. Just got a call from my Barber saying that I have a haircut today, they are open, and they are going to charge a cancellation fee for people who no show.

Lol, did you let them know that's a quick way to lose business forever from a bunch of clients?

What kind of stupid business decision is that?

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
right by the airport in Philly...this is nothing , we got off easy so far , but its supposed to continue for a few more hours we got all the wind here but i wont even have to clean my car off much.

We have almost two feet in DC now. Just got a call from my Barber saying that I have a haircut today, they are open, and they are going to charge a cancellation fee for people who no show.
Id call them back and tell them if they try to pull that shit with you, you'll call your credit card company and report it as a fraudulent charge.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Tell them if they charge you, you'll never return. When they cave, tell them to fuck off and that you're still never returning.

georly

Loving the snow pictures

Jesus, the amount of powerlines there are crazy.

A bit off topic but America needs some major infrastructural upgrades if this is at all commonplace.

the older the town, the more likely it has powerlines, unfortunately. Our utilities companies are corrupt as all hell and will do whatever they can to make MORE money. Like not paying to update the power infrastructure.

Mahonay

Banned
In new jersey here, a travel bans been set, guess that means no work and more bloodborne...and shoveling.
One of the things I really enjoy about apartment living in NYC is never having to shovel, even though it sucks not having a yard. As someone who grew up in the suburbs of Chicago I don't fucking miss it. Then I did all of the shoveling exclusively when we moved to southern PA which got pretty nasty winters too.

Dicer

Banned
Loving the snow pictures

A bit off topic but America needs some major infrastructural upgrades if this is at all commonplace.

USA is in desperate need of an upgrade, but it's not sexy to talk about or fund, so it keeps falling behind, and it wont get fixed till we have a MAJOR grid failure I am guessing, sad state of affairs...

It's needed and it would create jobs, but I digress, keep the snow pics coming, as someone who is used to this stuff, it's nice to see people who aren't enjoying it :)

Malo

Banned
NY has issued a road travel ban at 2:30 pm and:

Andrew Cuomo

Above-ground exterior @MTA subways are icing over. 4pm will be last train on inbound or outbound on exterior subway routes. #Blizzard2016

WedgeX

Banned
Loving the snow pictures

The US has slowly been burying electrical lines the past thirty years. But its slow and not a concentrated effort. DC thankfully put a whole bunch of lines underground in the last five years. But not throughout the whole city. There are thankfully only a few outages at present, but I feel like the worst winds are yet to come? Unsurprisingly the only outage in DC at present is in a part of the city with exposed powerlines.

moojito

Someone should build an igloo, and post some pictures of the progress. It'd be awesome.
You know an igloo can keep a heat of 60 degrees f inside when it's -50 degrees outside if it has a fire in it. The fire melts a bit of the snow inside which gets frozen by the cold temps outside into a hard insulating layer.

The more you know, etc!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Thought I'd check the map for NY again to see if any changes have been made since it certainly seems like we're ahead of schedule so far with already a good foot or so on the ground.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Aww yeahhhh. Two and a half feet here we come!

In new jersey here, a travel bans been set, guess that means no work and more bloodborne...and shoveling.

They set one at 11pm last night then lifted it for whatever reason. There are some local towns that are taking it upon themselves to have one, like Hoboken just announced a travel ban.

I really don't understand what Christe is doing it's horrible on the roads.

Man, why couldn't this storm happen during the week. This would have been a day off, easy.

First NYC snowstorm in forever to go above and beyond the hype, and it falls on a Saturday.

Tendo

Any idea when this is supposed to start slowing down in central PA? I screwed up big time and forgot to fill my gas can. I think my poor blower is out of fuel until rescue.

Retro

Heh, looks like things have bottomed out for S. Jersey and Delaware, I doubt we reached a foot. Bummer.

Rayno is going to be looking at next week's storm in his next video, he said "We're going to do this whole thing over again," so... stay tuned.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Jealous of all the snow everyone got.

Pittsburgh got a glorified dusting, really.

It's not even close to being over in Frederick MD.

Forecast went down to 1-2ft now back up to 2-3ft. I'd say we already have close to 2ft on the ground and another 8'ish hours of heavy snowfall to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom