• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Damn I'm in central Jersey and it looks like we're still going to get blasted with over a foot of snow, maybe even worse.

I'm not too upset, I didn't have any major plans this weekend and I do enjoy one good snow storm a year. I know my dog will love it, she's a Malamute so she loves snow.

kirby_fox

Banned
Yeah can someone explain to me the need for those three items

Most likely items to be out of when stuck at the house. Bread and milk I would say more so, I never really hear anything about eggs.

Really hoping I can still go out Friday morning like I need to...but it keeps going from "just a little bit" to "A little bit more than that" and I'm too close to the "you gonna get stuck" for comfort.

Mully

NYC area totals continue to decline as newer models come out.

giphy.gif

What models? The NAM, GEM, and GFS have gone north for their 12z runs giving the NY metro more opportunity for large snow accumulation.

cwmartin

This storm has been suppressed (decreased in strength) for a number of days now. The high placement shown on Monday was initially worrying for snow lovers in New England, but now what's worrying is the strength of the system. This storm is going to give the Mid-Atlantic states significant snow, but for places like NYC, Boston, and Hartford, the storm needs to gain strength and not dip so far south over the next couple of runs. I'm not sure that will happen given the model trends over the last few days.

Is this statement intended to be read that places like NYC, Boston, and Hartford want snow? The part that says "the storm needs to gain strength" is confusing me, because I want ZERO SNOW.

If I want ZERO SNOW I assume I want the storm to weaken rather than grow.

Icefire1424

Ahhhhh Syracuse. Likely not to get hit by this storm, but hey, have some more lake effect snow for good measure. The 18 inches you got over the last 24 hours wasn't enough.

Thank Christ my snowblower is actually working this season and I have a man cave to hide away in.

NOAA and weather.com seem to be having a disagreement over whether or not it's snowing in Cinci right now :p

Sadly, UC seems to have fallen on the "not snowing" team.

Mully

Here's a video describing the formation of the 96 Blizzard. The development of this storm could be eerily similar to the Blizzard of 96. That said, similar development does not always mean similar results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdFl9ON-tY4

Is this statement intended to be read that places like NYC, Boston, and Hartford want snow? The part that says "the storm needs to gain strength" is confusing me, because I want ZERO SNOW.

If I want ZERO SNOW I assume I want the storm to weaken rather than grow.

That's why I said in the statement it was for snowlovers. lol.

Ahhhhh Syracuse. Likely not to get hit by this storm, but hey, have some more lake effect snow for good measure. The 18 inches you got over the last 24 hours wasn't enough.

Thank Christ my snowblower is actually working this season and I have a man cave to hide away in.

Lived in Syracuse and Rochester all the way up until my mid-20's - definitely don't miss that snow. I do miss the ability the gov't has up there for dealing snow, though. Just 6 hours south in CT if we get even a couple inches the roads take ages to be plowed.

DC has consistently in or near the jack pot zone since the weekend and the models are still agreeing on it. People need to disregard their "it won't happen" attitude and prepare. It's got the potential to be deadly.

DC has consistently in or near the jack pot zone since the weekend and the models are still agreeing on it. People need to disregard their "it won't happen" attitude and prepare. It's got the potential to be deadly.

It's got the potential for SNOW DAYS, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I feel like govt should close Friday, and all next week, just to be safe.

Icefire1424

Lived in Syracuse and Rochester all the way up until my mid-20's - definitely don't miss that snow. I do miss the ability the gov't has up there for dealing snow, though. Just 6 hours south in CT if we get even a couple inches the roads take ages to be plowed.

You are right on that count. Upstate NY DOT crews are damn good when it comes to removing all that snow from the roads. Makes those storms a bit easier to bear knowing you won't be stuck in your house for more than a day or so.

Personally, I actually enjoy getting lots of snow on occasion. Yea, it means I have to go out and snowblow the driveway and use the roof rake when it gets really heavy, but watching the snow come down hard from the comfort of my living room in front of a hot fireplace is something special too. Plus, if it gets really bad, I can work from home and not have to risk driving out there.

This storm has got me excited! Looks like MD's gonna get get hit hard. I don't think we've had a storm like this since five or six years ago.

Fuchsdh

This was, of course, the weekend we were supposed to go to NYC. Seems like getting out of DC might not be the problem, but getting back will be.

kaskade

NOAA and weather.com seem to be having a disagreement over whether or not it's snowing in Cinci right now :p

Sadly, UC seems to have fallen on the "not snowing" team.

Yeah, weather.com is basically saying snow showers for me but their maps for the snowstorm story put me at like a foot.

I'm hoping I get some snow. I want an excuse to stay in on Saturday and do nothing.

Yeah, weather.com is basically saying snow showers for me but their maps for the snowstorm story put me at like a foot.

I'm hoping I get some snow. I want an excuse to stay in on Saturday and do nothing.

Weather.com was, surprisingly, on the money for last years "SNOW STORM OF DOOOOOOOM". They all use the same models and maps, it just comes down to who is reading them the best. As well as who is handling presentation the best. Accuweather is horrendously bad with presenting information, whereas NWS is dry and to the point.

Agreed. I really hate that my fiance has to travel during this. Stupid fellowship match system. :(

Horns

I did my grocery shopping last night in case the predictions for a big storm became true. I was worried if I waited it would be crazy. I've got enough food and booze to last a week.

kaskade

I did my grocery shopping last night in case the predictions for a big storm became true. I was worried if I waited it would be crazy. I've got enough food and booze to last a week.

That reminds me, I need to get some booze. I'm good on food.

East Tn already has it pretty bad from another storm that moved in overnight and got stronger. I dont think anyone expected that and this will just make things worse. I was barely able to make a beer and grocery run without dying. Hope everyone plans ahead and stays safe.

crazyprac

Christ so many fucking people getting ready for the storm, I just wanted to get Costco hotdogs and it took me forever (DC area)

pdk27

I grew up in Fulton (just north of Syracuse). I moved to Jersey after college. I've already seen enough snow for a lifetime.

Matticers

I can't wait to see the reaction here in Virginia. People go crazy when there's an inch or two of snow. I can't imagine what they'll do with about a foot or possibly more. The place might shut down for a few days.

Kind of worried about the 40 MPH wind gusts that are supposed to come along with the storm though. Hopefully that doesn't knock out the power.

georly

I can't wait to see the reaction here in Virginia. People go crazy when there's an inch or two of snow. I can't imagine what they'll do with about a foot or possibly more. The place might shut down for a few days.

Kind of worried about the 40 MPH wind gusts that are supposed to come along with the storm though. Hopefully that doesn't knock out the power.

That reminds me, I should charge my 3DS systems, haha. That way i can cycle between them in case the power is out. I should also charge my cel phone backup batteries.

40 mph wind gusts shouldn't be knocking down power lines or trees

Selner

If you go to work in the afternoon you aren't getting home at night.

I remember my first day back to work after Snowpocalypse. There were abandoned cars all around the Dulles Toll Road Toll Plaza, it was a little crazy.

So Friday should be a day to stay home for everyone who can. I imagine the government will issue a telework day / liberal leave order for Friday either tonight or tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom