• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

psylah

Why does this always happen over the weekend? Can't get a snow day for shit around here, for the last several years.

I don't believe anything anymore.

It's been 6 years since the last Snowmageddon actually happened in the North East, and they GRADUALLY increased snow totals DURING the storm, as opposed to forecasting it before hand.

Bottom Line: Nature does whatever the fuck it wants to do and can never be 100% predicted. EVER.

I don't believe anything anymore.

It's been 6 years since the last Snowmageddon actually happened in the North East, and they GRADUALLY increased snow totals DURING the storm, as opposed to forecasting it before hand.

Bottom Line: Nature does whatever the fuck it wants to do and can never be 100% predicted. EVER.

What an unscientific conclusion to come to. Modeling has nailed several storms in the past. Nature isn't some sentient being. Of course it can't be 100% nobody has ever said it is. Somebody, likely in northern va, md, DC is going to get pounded.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Lived in Syracuse and Rochester all the way up until my mid-20's - definitely don't miss that snow. I do miss the ability the gov't has up there for dealing snow, though. Just 6 hours south in CT if we get even a couple inches the roads take ages to be plowed.

They do great on major roads and highways, but for some reason Rochester city proper refuses to plow most of the side streets. My landlord pays someone to plow our parking lot but I still need to make it to a main road before im sure I'm in the clear.

owlbeak

On the border line between 3-6, and 6-12" where I live, but the latest update to the NWS Winter Storm Alert changed from 4-8" to 12-16"! Oh no. :[

I'm seeing on Twitter that the euro bumped a bit north on the latest run.

Also got a watch for 12-16 inches in the i95 corridor here in philly.

Totals are higher for Philly on the 12Z compared to the 0Z.

fYozvWV.png

esms

My girlfriend works nights on the weekend. She's sleeping over if these Philly totals are to be believed.

idlewild_

supposedly 8-13" for this area (5-8" on Friday, 3-5" on Saturday accd to weather.com.) just hoping we don't lose power, last time we lost power for a day; had to go re-read old papers in crappy lighting and sleep in the lab since that was the only place with heat :(

Matticers

40 mph wind gusts shouldn't be knocking down power lines or trees

I don't think anything gets knocked down that I've seen but the power has gone out multiple times this past year due to winds in that range. And that's just with a little rain. Add some potential snow/sleet/ice into the mix to weigh things down some more and I'm almost expecting it to happen if we really do get winds like that for a while.

coopolon

I remember my first day back to work after Snowpocalypse. There were abandoned cars all around the Dulles Toll Road Toll Plaza, it was a little crazy.

So Friday should be a day to stay home for everyone who can. I imagine the government will issue a telework day / liberal leave order for Friday either tonight or tomorrow.

Maybe wife will be off work and then I can go in the morning! Like, early morning, this sounds scary!

Yes. I live in Manayunk, the roads are going to be totally unusable if we really get hammered.

Must suck not to be a five minute walk to the subway. I will be enjoying all of the #openinphl while you rot in Manayuck.

Snow storms when you are in walking distance to CC are the greatest.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
weather.com shows 3-5 in for NYC, I don't get why the other sources, like the Dark Sky app claim 12-18 inches.

Actually, if you click on it, weather.com is saying 5-8 inches during the day on Saturday and then a further 5-8 inches over Saturday night. That's 10-16 inches for NYC.

Not that I believe a lick of it, mind you.

Here's the latest NAM model out to 84 hours which is as far as the model goes. So there would be a bit more in eastern parts after this point if the model went further than 84 hours.

36 inches for DC. The biggest snowfall on record there is 28 inches in 1922. Would be an historic storm for some areas if this were to happen.

we5jQoN.png

Yes. I live in Manayunk, the roads are going to be totally unusable if we really get hammered.

Ugh man, I lived in Manayunk last year and it was an absolute nightmare whenever it snowed. God speed. You might want to park your car down by main street if you live up on one of the hills.

Plymouth meeting livin now. Shouldn't be nearly as bad

Maq, is it really smart to post NAM QPF maps right now? They're nice to look at, but c'mon man, you're muddying the water for what people are expecting. Most posters are going to look at that map and think they're getting 20 inches in NYC. It's one model run at the tail end of its range.

Think about what your posting.

Just wanted to say thanks for turning me on to that Bernie Rayno guy. He's great, and he reminds me of some of my uncles/cousins for some reason.

Edit: No wonder, he's from east PA. Accent and mannerisms are the same as a lot of my family.

Maq, is it really smart to post NAM QPF maps right now? They're nice to look at, but c'mon man, you're muddying the water for what people are expecting. Most posters are going to look at that map and think they're getting 20 inches in NYC. It's one model run at the tail end of its range.

Think about what you're posting.

Latest Bernie video going over the 12z runs of the EURO and GFS.

Eh, just posting what the models are showing man! We'll see what the 18Z GFS says shortly. But all the major models have been showing totals in that range or higher, it's just a question of where the jackpot areas will be, and that's still an unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom