• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired editor Ryan Singel: Cyclists are the n*****s of the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a reference to a John Lennon song, and honestly, the guy's right. Fucking sensitive twats. Anyone with half a brain should know what he means by that statement. I guess half a brain might be a bit too much to expect from people though.

Going off on a tangent here, but discrimination issues stick around because people prefer to turn a blind eye to them on the basis of political correctness rather than confronting them head-on.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Btw, you can get a scooter for as low as $500, the cost of gas for them is negligible, and you'll get around much faster than on a bike and piss off way less motorists.
I enjoy riding my bike places, why is this so hard for you to understand?

CrankyJay

Banned
It's a reference to a John Lennon song, and honestly, the guy's right. Fucking sensitive twats. Anyone with half a brain should know what he means by that statement. I guess half a brain might be a bit too much to expect from people though.

Discrimination issues stick around because people prefer to turn a blind eye to them on the basis of political correctness rather than confronting them head-on.

Not everyone gets the reference, which makes it a dumb move by the poster. There's nothing more to say.

agrajag

Banned
I, see. You're joyriding while the rest of us are rushing to get to our jobs. I'll keep that in mind when I see a bicycle in my lane next time. >:)

i mean the real question we're tiptoeing around is whether or not a white man can use the word nigger to make a point unrelated to racial issues.

agrajag

Banned
I figure the real source of his rage is that he's really jealous that some people actually like their commutes while he's just in a rush to get it over with.

No, I mean, I'm just speaking from a position of socio-economic privilege and to me cyclists are disposable subhumans like black slaves were, right Liu Kang?

xxracerxx

I, see. You're joyriding while the rest of us are rushing to get to our jobs. I'll keep that in mind when I see a bicycle in my lane next time. >:)

You should plan better so you are not in a rush and in being in a rush putting others at risk because you are not thinking clearly.

And just because I enjoy it doesn't mean I am lolly-gagging around weaving through traffic, but since you will never leave your car and try it, you are just stonewalling now.

To me there is a difference between a bicyclist and a cyclist.

A bicyclist is somebody forced to ride to work with his backpack on while wearing his McDonalds uniform. That guy, yeah I'll cut him some slack for biking during rush hour.

A cyclist is the person in the hard hat, wearing his cycling shorts, out toning his thighs during rush hour. That guy, gets very little sympathy from me if he gets plowed. Yeah, it's perfectly legal for him to be out there, and as I said, there is no law against inconveniencing other people. And there's also not a law for being stupid because you've decided to hold up drive-time evening traffic instead if taking your ride somewhere a little less congested at a time when people aren't in a rush to get home from work and pick up their kids. And there's also not a law that says I have to like you for it.

Protip: People change at work.

Protip 2: Many work places provide showers.

Protip 3: Cyclists ride during rush hour because thats when theyre going to/from work.

Do you think, maybe for a second, that those people....gasp....change? And that theyre wearing whatever it is that theyre wearing because its the best option for their commute?

Oh by the way, I've never honked at someone on a bicycle.

Doing so would most likely be illegal under your local laws, so congrats on following a law! So proud of you.

Now go read your DMV law book as you apparently know shit about the law and safe driving.

Bikes are cheap, you get exercise, and you can get where you want just as fast as in a car.

It's interesting how many of your arguments come from positions of privilege and deal with class and social issues. It's making this Wired dude's Twitter thing strangely relevant, despite his terrible choice of words.

Seriously, this guy has every other post proving the wired editor right.

"if they dont like the back of the bus, why not walk instead?"

xxracerxx

I so look forward to the days of $20/gallon. Gonna be hi-larious.

Well, there is nothing worse than fair weather bikers so I assume brand new cyclists will be the worse. But I expect a lot of internet angst whenever that happens about some other person inconveniencing them on their commute.

Well, there is nothing worse than fair weather bikers so I assume brand new cyclists will be the worse. But I expect a lot of internet angst whenever that happens about some other person inconveniencing them on their commute.

Whoever commutes in a way where any sort of traffic, bikes or slow down seriously inconveniences them is leaving too late anyway. Learn to be prompt and stop fucking whining.

FACE

Banned
So the Tour De France is like N****s in Paris?

tumblr_m2i1gtvd1p1qap3terw.gif

Whoever commutes in a way where any sort of traffic, bikes or slow down seriously inconveniences them is leaving too late anyway. Learn to be prompt and stop fucking whining.

THIS. As one who bike commuted for close to a decade without incident, it always struck me as odd the number of people I saw flying down the roads to get to work.

Ninja Scooter's post should be investigated for doping, its domination can't be natural.

Sometimes I wonder if NinjaScooter is an aspiring Stand Up Comedian who simply uses GAF topics for material and tries his jokes on GAFers, then he does his weekly/monthly stand up gig at his local Comedy bar.

Some of them are a lot funnier than others, but almost everything he posts could be followed up with Ba dum tssssshhhh

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
i mean the real question we're tiptoeing around is whether or not a white man can use the word nigger to make a point unrelated to racial issues.

My Irish brothers do all the time..

My favorite conversation was when I was in some bar and two Irish dudes saw me and instantly said lets drink! We drank and one looked at me and said "we Irish are the n***ers of Europe."

Couldnt say much to it considering the history..

This tweet, while a bit stupid, is not something to get bent about.. Out of context like the thread title it looks bad.. But in context you can see the point he was trying to make.. However in poor taste it may have been.

Gattsu25

Banned
Nah, the real question is why the word 'nigger', in your described contexts, is always used with a severely negative connotation.

Answer that and then you are getting to the root of your question.

jerry1594

My Irish brothers do all the time..

My favorite conversation was when I was in some bar and two Irish dudes saw me and instantly said lets drink! We drank and one looked at me and said "we Irish are the n***ers of Europe."

Couldnt say much to it considering the history..

This tweet, while a bit stupid, is not something to get bent about.. Out of context like the thread title it looks bad.. But in context you can see the point he was trying to make.. However in poor taste it may have been.

Irish in America way back when wee called Irish n---ers too.

Not everyone gets the reference, which makes it a dumb move by the poster. There's nothing more to say.

Not really. It wasn't smart to use the n word because most people find it extremely offensive in any situation unless it's in a rap lyric. That's why it wasn't a good move.

The average person is getting dumber and less well read, but that doesn't mean everyone should go catering to them. It's like the people that say you shouldn't use a large vocabulary because most people won't know what you mean when you use big words. Or we shouldn't teach Shakespeare or Algebra in High School anymore because many people are too stupid to understand it.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I don't know why he would say that but seriously, if you live in a major city and own a car, you most likely have wished for the genocide of bicyclists at one point or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom