• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 01•13-15•17 - Figures says Bye Bye to all comers, Affleck has a (bad) dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's funny is that even when Affleck was a bankable name as a director, WB wouldn't sell his movies using his name.

"From the director of _________" is what they'd do. Every time. They'd almost never actually say who that director was in the trailers or on the posters.

kswiston

Live by Night will end up being one of the bigger bombs of the year. At least going by domestic gross. We're likely looking at around $15M total domestic on a $65M film. I dont know how the film will perform overseas, but my guess is not very well.

J_Viper

Live by Night will end up being one of the bigger bombs of the year. At least going by domestic gross. We're likely looking at around $15M total domestic on a $65M film. I dont know how the film will perform overseas, but my guess is not very well.

d72889f47745b00ad0e29868afb89ad1.png

Slaythe

Yikes......

That's not even a bomb at this rate it's a super nova ...

BLACKLAC

WB starting the year off strong.

What is 'The Bye Bye Man'? I've never heard of it before this thread.

EDIT: Okay, apparently it's a bad horror movie. Again though, never heard of it before now. Did they advertise it?

I am tired of Marvel Stans wishing for DC's failure. Just because you don't understand BvS, get the extended cut, easily the DEFINITIVE comic book movie.

The movie is indeed much better now that the fans have finished writing the script. If only my movie ticket came with Bleepey's MS Paint flow chart for Lex's evil plan.

Live by Night I do not envy being Affleck now.

He went from a great streak of The Town-Argo-Gone Girl to this, and even he's not strong enough to redeem the DCCU by itself.

Ross61

He went from a great streak of The Town-Argo-Gone Girl to this, and even he's not strong enough to redeem the DCCU by itself.

I'd rather be a millionaire and acclaimed director with couple shitty movies than what I am now. Affleck is beyond fine.

gamz

It's one movie. Every director has a stinker every now and then. I don't know where he even found the time to make the movie.

It's not a big deal. Like at all.

I think Live By Night is definite proof of the power of Rotten Tomatoes over non-franchise films. Audiences care about quality more than ever; see: 1.) Hidden Figures beating Star Wars twice in a row 2.) Arrival making $150 million 3.) Hacksaw Ridge making $150 million 4.) La La Land on track to $150 million

A man can make a bad film, sheesh. Acting like he's Uwe Boll now or something.
It's not that as much as "Hello Darkness My Old Friend" must be his Mantra right now. He's gone from being a great director/actor making a comeback to tying his boat to the sinking ship of the DCCU. He's seemingly aware of this, what with his changing comments about the Batman Movie.

cj_iwakura

It's not that as much as "Hello Darkness My Old Friend" must be his Mantra right now. He's gone from being a great director/actor making a comeback to tying his boat to the sinking ship of the DCCU. He's seemingly aware of this, what with his changing comments about the Batman Movie.

And yet people said he was the best thing about the new DCCU(not wrong, give me a film with his Batman against Viola Davis and I'll be there day 1).

I think Live By Night is definite proof of the power of Rotten Tomatoes over non-franchise films. Audiences care about quality more than ever; see: 1.) Hidden Figures beating Star Wars twice in a row 2.) Arrival making $150 million 3.) Hacksaw Ridge making $150 million 4.) La La Land on track to $150 million

It often does play a part, yeah, but a rotten rating didn't stop The Accountant from doing well.

Sean C

I think Live By Night is definite proof of the power of Rotten Tomatoes over non-franchise films.
This is certainly true. Live by Night is being released in the middle of awards season; an adult-targeted drama that doesn't have any awards heat is pretty much always DOA in this part of the filmgoing year.

Audiences care about quality more than ever; see: 1.) Hidden Figures beating Star Wars twice in a row
I don't think that demonstrates anything. First, Rogue One was favourably reviewed overall, but more importantly, Hidden Figures "beat" Rogue One several weeks into its theatrical release, as its grosses decline like all films do.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Not sure if I catch your point...

Mostly because he's clarified what he meant re: Batman, but also I'm not sure - even if he hadn't - what people's problem is with him taking his time to do it right and make sure it's locked down script wise? Like isn't that what you children want, a good Batman film? Why is the guy taking his time to do it right a sign of apocalyptic intent?

kswiston

La La land will end up over $300M worldwide. Possibly higher.

As for WB, I'm impressed that Fantastic Beasts managed to crack $800M, even with the poor exchange rates. If exhange rates were the same as they were back with The Hobbit launched in Dec 2012, Fantastic Beasts' overseas gross would have been around $750M (instead of the current $570M), and we would be talking about how it came in just shy of $1B.

gamz

Not sure if I catch your point...

Mostly because he's clarified what he meant re: Batman, but also I'm not sure - even if he hadn't - what people's problem is with him taking his time to do it right and make sure it's locked down script wise? Like isn't that what you children want, a good Batman film? Why is the guy taking his time to do it right a sign of apocalyptic intent?

Exactly. It's like people want Affleck to fail or something?

Mimosa97

Why is Silence bombing so hard ? Why is no one talking about this movie ?

I have seen nothing about this movie. What a shame. Fuck the marketing team.

J_Viper

I wonder if Affleck jump ship to Marvel, what character is he going to play.
humor my pipe dream.

Moon Knight

Why is Silence bombing so hard ? Why is no one talking about this movie ?

I have seen nothing about this movie. What a shame. Fuck the marketing team.

Not really a topic with mass appeal. I'll definitely check it out.

I watched Last Temptation of Christ a few months ago. Now, THAT was an experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom