• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 01•13-15•17 - Figures says Bye Bye to all comers, Affleck has a (bad) dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if I catch your point...

Mostly because he's clarified what he meant re: Batman, but also I'm not sure - even if he hadn't - what people's problem is with him taking his time to do it right and make sure it's locked down script wise? Like isn't that what you children want, a good Batman film? Why is the guy taking his time to do it right a sign of apocalyptic intent?

Oh Boy, calling anyone who disagrees with you children, that's such a good way to have a discussion.

The thing is, Warner Brother's 2018 "DCCU" slate is a mess. They were planning for Batman/Flash/Aquaman to be in 2018, and the only film of those 3 that seems on schedule is Aquaman. Flash is still lacking a director last I checked, Batman has Affleck insisting he's still working on the script, etc.

I know Affleck is taking his time, but Live By Night flopping gives WB more leverage with his Batman film. It doesn't help anyone if Affleck is forced to rush the film, but WB is seemingly tone deaf to why their cinematic universe has been a mess so far.

Sing is going to cruise to breaking one of the longest standing records in the book: highest grossing film to never hit #1. It's stood since 2002 when My Big Fat Greek Wedding grossed $241M. If you've never looked at the run for that film, I'd highly recommend it! It's the most baffling BO performance of all time.

Its such an interesting performance, cuz the movie had a $5 million budget, no stars of any kind, didnt make much of anything for the first two months of its rlease...but then it just keeps pulling tens of millions of dollar every week because ???

Its such an interesting performance, cuz the movie had a $5 million budget, no stars of any kind, didnt make much of anything for the first two months of its rlease...but then it just keeps pulling tens of millions of dollar every week because ???

Karaoke musical with animals is a decent distraction for the kids I guess.

When Lego Batman mops up critically and financially, and Justice League tops out around 750mil worldwide, Affleck will quietly disengage, Flash & Aquaman will shutter, and either Shazam or Green Lantern Corps will serve as a soft reboot to this entire experiment.

Wonder Woman will be relegated to a one & done regardless its reception.

The most obvious way forward for WB (big budget CGI features based on the Animated Universe) will once again go completely ignored as an option that separates them from Fox's X-Universe and Marvel's Cinematic Universe, and they will flounder some more.

They might consider their only real way forward to be pushing all in on Lego DC movies.

Henry Cavill will join the cast of Arrow in it's 9th season.

cj_iwakura

Oh Boy, calling anyone who disagrees with you children, that's such a good way to have a discussion.

The thing is, Warner Brother's 2018 "DCCU" slate is a mess. They were planning for Batman/Flash/Aquaman to be in 2018, and the only film of those 3 that seems on schedule is Aquaman. Flash is still lacking a director last I checked, Batman has Affleck insisting he's still working on the script, etc.

I know Affleck is taking his time, but Live By Night flopping gives WB more leverage with his Batman film. It doesn't help anyone if Affleck is forced to rush the film, but WB is seemingly tone deaf to why their cinematic universe has been a mess so far.

WB are laughing all the way to the bank in regards to DCCU, especially after Suicide Squad.

7sqgjrO.png

b91c814999642c86c628e80e07f9bf21.jpg

NOT DAVID FINCHER

I'm not really a fan of Alien3, Panic Room, or Benjamin Button. I think Fincher can be amazing, but he's a bit too dependent on his script.

WB are laughing all the way to the bank in regards to DCCU, especially after Suicide Squad.
No, they aren't. Suicide Squad was a fluke in an otherwise Mediocre Cinematic Universe, especially with characters that everyone knows already as part of the Popular Culture.

Thor The Dark World came up 40 Million less then Man of Steel. Fucking THOR nearly beat the most iconic superhero at the box office.

Batman V Superman, made by any competent director, would have beaten Civil War in a fucking slaughter. The fact that two of Nolan's Batman films beat 1 Billion at the box office but not the team up between two of the most popular heroes is absurd. That's lost money right there.

Suicide Squad was a fluke from everything that we've seen so far, and I'm still not sure if it was even that profitable.

Ross61

No, they aren't. Suicide Squad was a fluke in an otherwise Mediocre Cinematic Universe, especially with characters that everyone knows already as part of the Popular Culture.

Thor The Dark World came up 40 Million less then Man of Steel. Fucking THOR nearly beat the most iconic superhero at the box office.

Batman V Superman, made by any competent director, would have beaten Civil War in a fucking slaughter. The fact that two of Nolan's Batman films beat 1 Billion at the box office but not the team up between two of the most popular heroes is absurd. That's lost money right there.

Suicide Squad was a fluke from everything that we've seen so far, and I'm still not sure if it was even that profitable.

giphy.gif

Schlorgan

When Lego Batman mops up critically and financially, and Justice League tops out around 750mil worldwide, Affleck will quietly disengage, Flash & Aquaman will shutter, and either Shazam or Green Lantern Corps will serve as a soft reboot to this entire experiment.

The most obvious way forward for WB (big budget CGI features based on the Animated Universe) will once again go completely ignored as an option that separates them from Fox's X-Universe and Marvel's Cinematic Universe, and they will flounder some more.

They might consider their only real way forward to be pushing all in on Lego DC movies.

I can see all of this happening. This is uncanny.

But what about CYBORG!

So Monster Trucks did as well as everyone expected lol.
Also, Sing has surpassed Moana's gross domestically now. Welp. Considering how Secret Life of Pets took a big bite out of Dory's intake, Disney/Pixar should be wary when Despicable Me 3 squares off with Cars 3.

firelogic

Zack Snyder is the most competent comic-book movie director there is. You can't name a single one in the MCU/DCEU era that's better. Any that you do name is wrong.

Slayven

Sure your name ain't Ronnie Raymond? Cause that take was hot.

Henry Cavil is just bad, the kid from My Secret Identity is a better clark and superman than him. What ever happen to that kid by the way, I hope he didn't slide into that kid actor death spiral.

They could never recoup that $900 Million budget

Nice way to completely disregard my points about Suicide Squad being the only film that has over performed relative to the character's popularity.

From Box Office Mojo, Suicide Squid's Budget for production was 175 Million. This does not include marketing. It made 325 Million domestically, which per varying different sites puts the Money WB made Domestically at around 162.5 Million. That's a loss based on Domestic just from the bloody Production budget, let alone anything else. Last I checked(and anyone with a source that proves me wrong I'd gladly accept) Foreign Box office tends to be worse for profits that Studios get. I don't see how Suicide Squad, which made 745 Million, is somehow exempt from this.

What false narrative?

That the only Black stories Hollywood pushes out are MLK and Slavery. If anything, Hidden Figures fits safely within Hollywood's love for historical drama, period piece, ensemble cast, civil rights era, prestige biopic. It really wasn't a big risk on there part.

Ross61

Nice way to completely disregard my points about Suicide Squad being the only film that has over performed relative to the character's popularity.

From Box Office Mojo, Suicide Squid's Budget for production was 175 Million. This does not include marketing. It made 325 Million domestically, which per varying different sites puts the Money WB made Domestically at around 162.5 Million. That's a loss based on Domestic just from the bloody Production budget, let alone anything else. Last I checked(and anyone with a source that proves me wrong I'd gladly accept) Foreign Box office tends to be worse for profits that Studios get. I don't see how Suicide Squad, which made 745 Million, is somehow exempt from this.

sUI8UnXSiKe5p7FmNDsA_Steve%20Harvey%20Face%209.gif

Sure your name ain't Ronnie Raymond? Cause that take was hot.

Henry Cavil is just bad, the kid from My Secret Identity is a better clark and superman than him. What ever happen to that kid by the way, I hope he didn't slide into that kid actor death spiral.

He was the most recent voice for Superman in Throne of Atlantis and JL vs Teen Titans, funny enough.

cj_iwakura

No matter how you slice it, it was a massive success, and that's going to be their template for success moving forward.

Schlorgan

Why isn't there a chalk board for "this will save the DCCU", I would sell Bronsonlee's soul for that.

Cyborg lol...fucking cyborg
Wasn't there one like a year ago? I could swear I saw one in the BvS review thread.

Zack Snyder is the most competent comic-book movie director there is. You can't name a single one in the MCU/DCEU era that's better. Any that you do name is wrong.
Wat.

Jon Favreau alone runs circles around him.

The Russos with Winter Soldier run circles around him.

firelogic

Wasn't there one like a year ago? I could swear I saw one in the BvS review thread.

Wat.

Jon Favreau alone runs circles around him.

Patently false and blasphemous. Favreau gave us Iron Man 2. That automatically disqualifies him from the discussion. Snyder bestowed upon us MoS and BvS. Masterpieces.

Ross61

To make a good Cyborg movie all you'd really have to do is make a good sci-if move.

One day we're going to talk about how there aren't a surplus of "interesting" black characters in comics because Cyborg ain't nowhere near a special case.

To make a good Cyborg movie all you'd really have to do is make a good sci-if move.

One day we're going to talk about how there aren't a surplus of "interesting" black characters in comics because Cyborg ain't nowhere near a special case.

Everytime I see Cyborg, it looks like Jax went full Robocop. LOL

Slayven

yEKnwOV.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom