• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 01•13-15•17 - Figures says Bye Bye to all comers, Affleck has a (bad) dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
DC got Walker to re-invent the character and then basically took a bat to that book's knees for every issue.

They coulda had a reinvention of the character on the level of what he did w/ Nighthawk, or even something retro-but-still-fun like w/ Power Man & Iron Fist.

Instead....

Ross61

yEKnwOV.jpg

I wouldn't consider either Luke Cage and Fury Jr. interesting.

Slayven

DC got Walker to re-invent the character and then basically took a bat to that book's knees for every issue.

They coulda had a reinvention of the character on the level of what he did w/ Nighthawk, or even something retro-but-still-fun like w/ Power Man & Iron Fist.

Instead....

I am still shocked Marvel published Nighthawk.

kswiston

Man, you guys still fighting over this fucking superhero thing?

Its a (bad) joke.
Hope the movie still manages the 1bn $

We can drop the hope part. Rogue one is $20M away from $1B coming off a $35M weekend WW. Just the remaining domestic gross will be enough to push it over.

Alrus

I think Superman's popularity overseas is overstated.

Also Passengers is doing okay overseas, might make some money with DVD/rentals/tv added in.

J_Viper

Guys, guys, we can all surely admit that both Iron Man sequels are hot garbage. No need to argue.

live by night didn't even make top 5 BO holy shit i'm going to see it right now i'm having a hard time believing this movie is that bad

It's not at all bad, just boring as hell, which one could argue is even worse.

There is a really neat shootout at the end, at least.

Why can't DC just stop trying to follow marvels footsteps and stop rushing for a shared universe. They have big enough IP's that they don't need to desperately rush to a shared universe. Batman has the potential to crack 1 billion alone and I feel like superman and wonder woman could go close as well. Flash could do pretty well as a standalone. They have big name characters they just need to make actual good movies.

I'd rather just see their individual movies then this shitty justice league attempt.

As for WB, I'm impressed that Fantastic Beasts managed to crack $800M, even with the poor exchange rates. If exhange rates were the same as they were back with The Hobbit launched in Dec 2012, Fantastic Beasts' overseas gross would have been around $750M (instead of the current $570M), and we would be talking about how it came in just shy of $1B.

It got closer to Star Wars than I was expecting. With the later films likely to link more in to Harry Potter I feel like there is a lot of potential for FB.

An actually great movie about Christianity, and it's not doing mega bucks? I guess the tone of the movie being super depressing compared to God Is So Deaded or whatever malarkey Lion Mandrake loves plays a big factor. No wait, Passion of the Christ was huge. Did they just not market it well?

2 had a likable, layered villain. 3 was just another corpse on the MCU pile. And the stuff with Pepper at the end, good god.

the villian was exactly what was terrible about it. Mickey Rourke chewing up scenery with his terrible accent is exactly what reminds me of Batman Forever and Tommy Lee Jones' Two Face.

Son Of D

What is 'The Bye Bye Man'? I've never heard of it before this thread.

EDIT: Okay, apparently it's a bad horror movie. Again though, never heard of it before now. Did they advertise it?
Not much advertisement. From what I know the posters emphasised the Friday the 13th release date over anything else. Probably trying to make people think that it's a new Friday the 13th film.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I just want to say that maybe Vinny's Passengers prediction of $100M domestically will ring true! It's holding much better than I think anyone would have thought!

Schlorgan

Maybe I am missing something, but I think that David Yates was the top grossing direcyor of 2016. Sorry Russo Bros.

Oh snap. Dark Horse Candidate.

Highest Grossing Directors list on BoxOfficeMojo is a fun list. Spielberg at #1 with double of #2 (Michael Bay).

That list is only counting Domestic Gross though.

Is there early tracking yet for the 2/10 weekend? Lego Batman, Fifty Shades 2 and John Wick 2 all opening that weekend.

I'm assuming Batman will win by a good bit but I'd like to know what the regulars here think.

emrober5

Live by Night was good. It wasn't great, but it was good. The final 10 minutes were a little heavy handed.

I find myself disagreeing with film critics more and more recently.

Also Passengers is doing okay overseas, might make some money with DVD/rentals/tv added in.

Yeah I mentioned it before, but in retro casting Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence was a damn good call for that film, as I doubt with those reviews the film would be anywhere near where it is. When all is said and done with home video release and streaming / TV rights the movie will actually probably make a little bit of profit.

Yeah I mentioned it before, but in retro casting Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence was a damn good call for that film, as I doubt with those reviews the film would be anywhere near where it is. When all is said and done with home video release and streaming / TV rights the movie will actually probably make a little bit of profit. I wouldn't have thought that when reviews first hit

Well by casting Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence the budget of the film went up substantially that they had to restructure the film to a blockbuster by adding action and appeal to a much wider audience, otherwise it would've been a modestly budgeted, romantic sci-fi fi film. If I'm not mistaken, Jennifer Lawrence alone was paid 20 million.

kswiston

Well by casting Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence the budget of the film went up substantially that they had to restructure the film to a blockbuster by adding action and appeal to a much wider audience, otherwise it would've been a modestly budgeted, romantic sci-fi fi film. If I'm not mistaken, Jennifer Lawrence alone was paid 20 million.

Lawrence was $20M and Pratt was $10M based on what was reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom