• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•09-11•17 - Wonder Woman deflects competition, Cruise cries for his Mummy

kmfdmpig

Estimates (for the numbers of viewers), I only briefly checked the archives, seem comparable to the first Captain America movie. About half compared the other DCEU movies. Not sure how reliable of course.

Do you think it's because Germany is opposing her in the film , or is it just a matter of BvS and Suicide Squad being worse than people expected, which leads people to shy away from this one?

Do you think it's because Germany is opposing her in the film , or is it just a matter of BvS and Suicide Squad being worse than people expected, which leads people to shy away from this one?

Wonder Woman doesn't matter here and DC's brand is not Marvel, also, female lead movies are a harder sell in a lot of countries.

Also. marketing has been really light.

El Topo

If I had to guess, I would say it is because the setting is just not too appealing for a superhero movie and because it is completely detached from the DCEU. It might also simply be that Germany still has to get accustomed to female superheroes and "grow up". I doubt the quality of the previous DCEU movies or the unfamiliarity with the character (who is essentially unknown over here) mattered much.

But then, for a proper analysis you need sufficient data, so this is all just my guesswork. I don't work in that industry and I don't really have data, nor am I in touch with German society as a whole.

Hyun Sai

Did Batman VS Superman likely helped Wonder Woman ?

Do you think WW would have made less if she didn't appear in that Martha Movie ?

Instro

Do you think WW would have made less if she didn't appear in that Martha Movie ?

I think it helped. Regardless of the quality, BvS was a big movie, and helped reintroduce the character in a modern context to a massive audience.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I think it helped. Regardless of the quality, BvS was a big movie, and helped reintroduce the character in a modern context to a massive audience.
Plus she was one of the best parts of the movie and most people enjoyed her brief appearances.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Wonder Woman doesn't matter here and DC's brand is not Marvel, also, female lead movies are a harder sell in a lot of countries.

Also. marketing has been really light.
Thats true. Wonder Woman ls the first DCEU movie that doesnt have a big poster campaign in the public here

It helped a little bit but not as much as it could (should) have. The character of Wonder Woman was introduced very poorly but BvS sold many people on Gadot at least.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

I feel like most people came out of BvS saying they'd watch Wonder Woman and Batman solo movies. Whether it helped or not I don't know but I certainly don't buy the idea that it hurt at all.

Great hold for #WonderWoman w/ $40.8M, off only 30% in 3rd wknd. Cume $274.6M, shd smash $300M on SAT. Upping my forecast to $370M+ final.
https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/status/876441773760970752

$40.8M 3rd wknd for #WonderWoman ranks #4 all-time for all comic book movies behind only #Avengers, #SpiderMan & #DarkKnight.
https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/status/876442942436782082

$39.5 million internationally/$574 million worldwide:

Gitesh Pandya‏ @GiteshPandya 1m1 minute ago
$39.5M intl wknd for #WonderWoman putting new totals at $297.2M intl & strong $571.8M global.#TheMummy $13.9M/$56.5M

Outstanding run for Wonder Woman. I really do hope it legs it out to $370 million domestically.

(Also, a few of the early board predictions look bad right now.)

kitzkozan

Same in France for the first week. Half of BvS and Suicide Squad, slightly above First Avenger. And way below Pirates so far. It was predictable but as I've said numerous times, now that the character has been established, the sequel could very well blow up internationally like Winter Soldier did.

I have a feeling that the same will happen with Captain Marvel and Black Panther, where international numbers take a hit. North america =/= the rest of the world. It's only recently that female empowerment has become huge in NA.

I can easily see Cpt. Marvel hitting 300m in NA if it's good, since women are starving for female superhero movies. Internationally, you have to build the audience since female led movies are a tougher sell in some regions. The first Hunger Games was huge in NA, but it did 70% of the domestic intake in the rest of the world. The same way that a black ensemble movie usually take a hit at the international box office. I'm looking forward to the worldwide reception toward Black panther.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Outstanding run for Wonder Woman. I really do hope it legs it out to $370 million domestically.

(Also, a few of the early board predictions look bad right now.)

Those few Power Rangers > Wonder Woman box office predictions fill me with joy every time I think about them.

I have a feeling that the same will happen with Captain Marvel and Black Panther, where international numbers take a hit. North america =/= the rest of the world. It's only recently that female empowerment has become huge in NA.

I can easily see Cpt. Marvel hitting 300m in NA if it's good, since women are starving for female superhero movies. Internationally, you have to build the audience since female led movies are a tougher sell in some regions. The first Hunger Games was huge in NA, but it did 70% of the domestic intake in the rest of the world. The same way that a black ensemble movie usually take a hit at the international box office. I'm looking forward to the worldwide reception toward Black panther.

You're not wrong but don't underestimate the power of the Marvel brand. That logo can sell anything, from Doctor Strange to Ant-Man. Outside of Batman, DC has yet to truly establish themselves internationally. Although they're actually doing a decent job so far, they're just not close to Marvel's level as of right now.

And Get Out, to my surprise, is a huge success in France. It will also make more than First Avenger when all is said and done. So I'm not worried about Black Panther at all, it will do great. Captain Marvel might end up on the low-end of MCU films but I'm sure it'll still do fine.

PIRATES: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES sailed past $500M int'l this weekend and has now hoisted up $650M worldwide.
— Exhibitor Relations (@ERCboxoffice) June 18, 2017

I hope y'all are ready for Pirates 6:
Davy Jones'
Revenge.

kitzkozan

You're not wrong but don't underestimate the power of the Marvel brand. That logo can sell anything, from Doctor Strange to Ant-Man. Outside of Batman, DC has yet to truly establish themselves internationally. Although they're actually doing a decent job so far, they're just not close to Marvel's level as of right now.

And Get Out, to my surprise, is a huge success in France. It will also make more than First Avenger when all is said and done. So I'm not worried about Black Panther at all, it will do great. Captain Marvel might end up on the low-end of MCU films but I'm sure it'll still do fine.

The Wonder Woman sequel will perform much better internationally as Warner Bros will have faith that it can make ton of money so they will increase the marketing budget on it. I can already guess that it could be close to what the first Hunger Games sequel did (800+m).

Otherwise, DC has to repair the damage that was done to Superman and his box office gross wasn't spectacular given how iconic the character is. It's true that DC aren't close to Marvel right now as they have to sell Aquaman to the masses, rehabilitate Green Lantern and get the Flash movie off the ground. I don't even know if Cyborg can work as a solo project, so the Justice League cast isn't anywhere near the carefully planned project that was the Avengers.

Schlorgan

Suicide Squad, to me, is really the outliner. It's crazy how much that movie did.
That movie had maybe the best movie marketing campaign I've ever seen.
It also had like a month with no competition.

I still feel that if something like Star Trek Beyond had come out two weeks after SS instead of two weeks before, those movies would have had very different runs.

Not true. Her being the best part of that film and her having a good film of her own both helped. BvS didn't damage shit.
We'll see when JL comes out whether or not that's true.

Those few Power Rangers > Wonder Woman box office predictions fill me with joy every time I think about them.

I'm pretty sure there were people predicting that Captain Underpants would make more than WW. It was pretty crazy how some people underestimated it. Even the foreign box office isn't all that bad all things considered. I always knew it would do well.

DeathyBoy

Banned
It also had like a month with no competition.

I still feel that if something like Star Trek Beyond had come out two weeks after SS instead of two weeks before, those movies would have had very different runs.

Nah. People just want to watch Star Wars style Star Trek. They don't give a shit about authentic feeling Star Trek. Two weeks wouldn't change that.

firelogic

nah, WW did well in SPITE of BvS

BvS most definitely helped because whatever everyone thought about the movie, even those that hated it applauded Wonder Woman's scenes and it was an awesome entrance. People thought she was amazing and wanted to see more of her. If she hadn't appeared in BvS and we got a Wonder Woman movie cold, I don't think the opening weekend would have been as big, even with the critical praise.

Boke1879

BvS most definitely helped because whatever everyone thought about the movie, even those that hated it applauded Wonder Woman's scenes and it was an awesome entrance. People thought she was amazing and wanted to see more of her. If she hadn't appeared in BvS and we got a Wonder Woman movie cold, I don't think the opening weekend would have been as big, even with the critical praise.

Yup. she had an awesome entrance and most people were hyped by that. A lot of people talked about it.

That introduction definitely helped spark interest in a solo movie. Now it helps that we actually got a good WW movie.

ArmGunar

WW : $274.6M dom / $574M worldwide

So 700M is pretty locked for me
At least 80M from dom --> 654M
46M overseas left is easily doable

Theorry

Lol
giphy.webp

Top Bottom