• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•09-11•17 - Wonder Woman deflects competition, Cruise cries for his Mummy

witness

1497712609-capture-d-ecran-2017-06-17-a-17-16-31.png

10.85M FRI for WW (+80% from THU), it increases from RTH's 10.7M and DHD's 10.6M

Goddamn an 80% increase! 40 million 3rd weekend in play! It'll fly past BvS domestically. At this rate, can it achieve a 4x multiplier? I would think it can get pretty damn close.

kswiston

The Mummy also had an 80% increase to $3.8M on Friday. Much stronger than I would have guessed. Pirates 5 was up 79% as well. I think that we should reign in our expectations for Saturday's bump.

kswiston

Still any markets left? 517 is considered a rather mediocre result for a superhero movie right now and I want to make it about 200 millions additional...

Just Japan, Spain, Egypt and Belgium. The likely domestic total keeps going up, so $700M is looking like a better possibility. Another $120M domestic is not all that unrealistic.

Overseas was about $40M in the past 5 days. That includes openings in Germany, Norway and the Netherlands. Domestic was $39M in the past 5 days.

BumRush

$700m doesn't seem nearly as important as the good critical reception that WW has gotten. Could you imagine going into JL if WW was received like SS or BvS?

I think WW BO will end up something close to 51% International 49% Domestic. Slightly above Suicide Squad when all is said and done.

The movie is having great holds in LatinAmerica and Australia, maybe that will extrapolate to the other regions?

$700m doesn't seem nearly as important as the good critical reception that WW has gotten. Could you imagine going into JL if WW was received like SS or BvS?

Arguably the money matters more for Hollywood. Suicide Squad helped convince Warners to move forward with Gotham City Sirens and Batgirl based off its box office returns. Plus you have guys like Ike Perlmutter saying no to female-led superhero movies by pointing at Elektra and Catwoman.

I believe Wonder Woman passing $700m puts it in the top 5 solo debuts.

GhaleonEB

A lot of schools had their last week of the school year this week, so there may be a WOOOO it's summer thing going on with those Saturday bumps.

kswiston

Solo debut ranking for Superhero films matters little on a worldwide basis, since anything before 2012 is not all that comparable.

I feel like I say this a lot, but every single live action superhero film released in China since 2014 has made more than The first Avengers. And that takes into consideration that the Avengers was by far the biggest comic film ever in China at release.

BumRush

Arguably the money matters more for Hollywood. Suicide Squad helped convince Warners to move forward with Gotham City Sirens and Batgirl based off its box office returns. Plus you have guys like Ike Perlmutter saying no to female-led superhero movies by pointing at Elektra and Catwoman.

I believe Wonder Woman passing $700m puts it in the top 5 solo debuts.

Of course money is important, but another critical failure would have damaged JL and future DCEU films. If I'm WB I'm incredibly thrilled at WW right now. No one expected $800M

FTF

Deadline continues to be bad at extrapolating off of Fri #s...I don't see how Cars 3 only does $51.5m off a $19.5m Fri. Especially with Father's day and kids "taking" their dads to the movies.

Nev

Banned
If I'm WB I'm incredibly thrilled at WW right now. No one expected $800M

Is 800 realistic though? It's at 517 after three weeks.

I don't understand why it was so big domestic but rather meh foreign. But whatever china is what usually saves trash like the mummy or transformers so not really surprised.

kitzkozan

700+m for WW is fantastic, rivaling origin movies like Suicide Squad or Guardians and Deadpool. It's a building block for a sequel which could get close to a billion depending on if WB play their cards right.

Marvel will put maximum effort in Captain Marvel with the confidence that they can make a ton of money (and they probably envision Cap Marvel to be their next Iron Man). Even in the comics world, they keep giving Cpt. Marvel giant pushes to make her the next big thing (the Roman Reign push for the wrestling fans out there). There's no doubt that since Hollywood is an industry, money matter more than quality / good critical reception.

What I'm curious to see is if there's a Wonder Woman effect for more "traditional" female led action movies such as the upcoming Atomic blonde. Early tracking numbers are way better than I expected, but it wouldn't surprise me if it perform above expectations. I'm eager to see a Korean action movie which seems to depict a John Wick-esque female character in crazy action sequences (The Villainess).

BumRush

I don't understand why it was so big domestic but rather meh foreign. But whatever china is what usually saves trash like the mummy or transformers so not really surprised.

No it's not. I meant that no one thought it was making 800 so it's not like WB was set up for disappointment

I don't feel it's been that bad on the foreign market, at least not as bad as some people make it sound.

kitzkozan

Female empowerment is gaining traction faster in NA and some other countries than in the rest of the world imo. Heck, the first Hunger game performed far better in NA than anywhere else. Female led movies can make ton of money, but you have to put in the effort to build awareness internationally. How many of these movies performed incredibly well worldwide to the point where the ratio is close to 20/80%? Probably 4-5 with the most extreme one being Resident Evil: The last chapter which is a staggering 9/91% split.

DeathyBoy

Banned

How dare you.

I saw The Mummy today and it was the most glorious rubbish. Like a shite film you'd find on late night TV but with a miscast Tom Cruise and Russell Crowe looming gleefully high.

It was schlock and I loved every terrible second of it.

Toa TAK

Banned
How dare you.

I saw The Mummy today and it was the most horrible rubbish. Like a shite film you'd find on late night TV but with a miscast Tom Cruise and Russell Crowe looming horribly high.

It was schlock and I hated every terrible second of it.
I feel you.

On a spiritual level.

DeathyBoy

Banned
It's sick to take joy in people's suffering.

I enjoyed it more than The Avengers.

I'm not even joking. Far worse technically and in every regard, but I was ridiculously entertained the whole way through right down to...

The Mummy being thirsty for Cruise's six pack.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'm pretty sure that was the moment my theater's audience finally started laughing.

How can anyone hate The Mummy?

It's so fucking terrible that I couldn't stop smiling. Right down to them casting Tom Cruise to play a role clearly meant for a Chris Pratt type. Like the female lead does not act for a second like she's playing off Tom Cruise...

Also dear God, dude from New Girl as Cruise's best mate...

How can anyone hate The Mummy?

It's so fucking terrible that I couldn't stop smiling. Right down to them casting Tom Cruise to play a role clearly meant for a Chris Pratt type. Like the female lead does not act for a second like she's playing off Tom Cruise...

Also dear God, dude from New Girl as Cruise's best mate...

The sub 2 hour runtime makes it bearable.

Apparently Jake signed on without hesitation after he heard he'd be Cruise's sidekick but got cold feet when he realized what the role really was.

I think the moment I knew how the movie was going to turn out was a shot during the town shootout where Jake fires his rifle like he's never fired a weapon before and then Tom does it like a pro.

Ed: Let's not forget the constant spark of fire that's repeated like 6 or 7 times.

DeathyBoy

Banned
The sub 2 hour runtime makes it bearable.

Apparently Jake signed on without hesitation after he heard he'd be Cruise's sidekick but got cold feet when he realized what the role really was.

I think the moment I knew how the movie was going to turn out was a shot during the town shootout where Jake fires his rifle like he's never fired a weapon before and then Tom does it like a pro.

I started laughing when the film about an Egyptian Mummy started in ye olde England. That and the ridiculous fucking Dark Universe logo.

I started laughing when the film about an Egyptian Mummy started in ye olde England. That and the ridiculous fucking Dark Universe logo.

I like how that it's never addressed how the English Crusaders found the
dagger
. It's so obvious that plot point is there because they needed a reason to justify filming in England.

DeathyBoy

Banned
dagger
. It's so obvious that plot point is there because they needed a reason to justify filming in England.

The film doesn't explain shit.

They even make a point of
Hyde saying he doesn't know what evil Cruise's powers are at the end.

It's the universe I'm most invested in because it takes itself more seriously than the 99 Mummy but is twice as goofy.

Toa TAK

Banned
dagger

The film doesn't explain shit.

They even make a point of
Hyde saying he doesn't know what evil Cruise's powers are at the end.

It's the universe I'm most invested in because it takes itself more seriously than the 99 Mummy but is twice as goofy.
Alex

Kurtzman

Failing up

kswiston

I think that I am now on board with Wonder Woman passing Deadpool domestically / having the best legs of any superhero film since 2000.

$350M is basically locked. GotG2 is now looking like a $390M film, so WW will fall short of #1 this summer (domestically). Not by much though.

Culex

Banned
I think that I am now on board with Wonder Woman passing Deadpool domestically / having the best legs of any superhero film since 2000.

$350M is basically locked. GotG2 is now looking like a $390M film, so WW will fall short of #1 this summer (domestically). Not by much though.

I wouldn't compare to Deadpool since it's rated R, and immediately having a higher hurdle to jump.

TyrantII

I don't plan to go into JL, as I don't think WW doing it's thing will fix a film that's already under wraps.

Oh, you meant the studio! :)

Lima

I don't plan to go into JL, as I don't think WW doing it's thing will fix a film that's already under wraps.

Oh, you meant the studio! :)

A film which started substantial reshoots last week and is rumored to include more WW because of its success. Justice League is far from finished.

Is Transformers 5 looking to be another one of these strong foreign/so-so domestic performers?

An aside, Valerian is opening the same day as Dunkirk, 2nd week of Apes, 3rd of Spider-Man. Yeah.

BumRush

Is Transformers 5 looking to be another one of these strong foreign/so-so domestic performers?

An aside, Valerian is opening the same day as Dunkirk, 2nd week of Apes, 3rd of Spider-Man. Yeah.

I believe Swiss said TF5 is estimated to get $400M in China alone. It won't get even close to that here in the states.

I thought Valerian was a week after Dunkirk tho. I'd like to see both of those specifically in IMAX tbh. Looks like that won't be happening

Also whew, Apes and Dunkirk and new Luc Besson sci fi back to back to back. This summer is insane

Top Bottom