• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

This game is really good, so so good. There is only one problem i have with this game and it's the enemy design at higher difficulties. I was playing on Uber and once i got to chapter 10 or 11, i just had enough. Seriously, the enemies are just bullet sponges and the encounters are so poorly designed. In the game, they just like to toss you in an area and stuff as many enemies as possible, it makes the game seriously unfun. I decided to drop the difficulty level down and i'm not going to waste my time getting a platinum in this game. I'm pretty good at fps games but this kind of bullshit is annoying. It also has that bs COD has where once you cross a line, the enemies start coming out of random ass places. I'm really enjoying the story though and i began to enjoy the gameplay once i dropped the difficulty down. Those enemies with the shot guns(you know the ones i'm talking about) are so annoying.

All the special enemies get a lot more manageable as you upgrade your perks and weapons. By the time you get the fully upgraded LKW and rocket launching attachments, it's just a matter of proper positioning and enemy priority. In fact, I'd guess repeat playthroughs would actually be easier because of all the tricks you have the 2nd time around.

Ending Discussion

So BJ is dead then? I heard talk there was an after credits sequence but all I heard was a helicopter and then it cut to the menu. Did I miss something?

Saganator

Taking a lot of will power not to buy this game. I already paid for Mario Kart 8 and Watch Dogs, on top of MLB The Show and Transistor that I've been playing, I just can't fit this one in. Looks so great and just my kind of FPS, but it flew totally under my radar until it was too late. Maybe in a month or two.

Ending Discussion

So BJ is dead then? I heard talk there was an after credits sequence but all I heard was a helicopter and then it cut to the menu. Did I miss something?
Hollywood logic:
Unless you saw specifically saw them die they'e not dead. And even if you did see them die they might not be.

For the purposes of this game I think ambiguity is exactly the intended response.

But in a way, like with Max Payne, I'd kinda feel better if the man was allowed to settle down at some point, considering all that he's been through. Its a certain kind of cruelty to throw him back into the meat grinder.

Edit:
On second thought though, the ending music "but not for us", along with an early quip of "but not for me" makes me think he's meant to be dead. But maybe not.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Well shit, now I can't decide between getting this or Watch Dogs...

Hell, I still haven't snagged MGS or Second Son either. Wolfenstein sounds like it commands the highest priority in here though.

Much like Call of Juarez Gunslinger last year, this game came out of nowhere for me, and so far has been one of my favorite games of the year. Going on to Chapter 11, and unless there are some serious missteps in the last handful of levels, I'm really impressed. The mix of old school gunplay with a well delivered story feels great.

JayEH

Hollywood logic:
Unless you saw specifically saw them die they'e not dead. And even if you did see them die they might not be.

For the purposes of this game I think ambiguity is exactly the intended response.

But in a way, like with Max Payne, I'd kinda feel better if the man was allowed to settle down at some point, considering all that he's been through. Its a certain kind of cruelty to throw him back into the meat grinder.

Edit:
On second thought though, the ending music "but not for us", along with an early quip of "but not for me" makes me think he's meant to be dead. But maybe not.

Well they chose an ending that they can go either way with. If the game doesn't sell well, the story is fine as it is but they can also say "Oh well Caroline went to pickup him up then the bomb was dropped." It's definitely the right way to handle it.

Making my way through chapter 10. The atmosphere is incredible. It's right there with Resistance 3 and Metro Last Light. Also, reading all the newspaper clippings in the game make me want a sequel set in asia along with the nazi Jurassic Park that's hinted at.

This was an incredible FPS and takes the likes of Killzone to school on how it should be done.

My one and only gripe was that they really ramped the difficulty up from an incline to pretty much getting out climbing gear. I don't play games as much anymore and wasn't too impressed by this. Check pointing in some parts was completely absurd and just felt like a waste of time than any form of challenge.

That aside great gunplay and I found for some reason sounds are much better through a set of headphones, not sure why there is such a dramatic difference.

Hopefully more FPS games can follow up with this kind of single player quality.

Just finished the game. Totally impressed. More fun than Bioshock Infinite, and I actually totally bought into the story and ate up everything they tried to do.

Helluva game!

spookyfish

So, the last few times I've turned on my PS4 with the Wolfenstein disc in it, I get an "uploaded data unsuccessful" notice, and it's time-coded with right when I turn my system on. If I upload again, it's successful.

Is anyone else getting this? If so, what is going on?

So, the last few times I've turned on my PS4 with the Wolfenstein disc in it, I get an "uploaded data unsuccessful" notice, and it's time-coded with right when I turn my system on. If I upload again, it's successful.

I had this once, but I rebooted and it was fine. So I can't help...sorry!

finalexit

I've been getting this for every game I've played since the 1.70 firmware update.

Prometheus Zero

Neo Member

Yes I get the same thing. I'm in the same boat, I have no idea whats going on.

I think he's talking about THIS. The guy is so likeable.

I saw the button prompt and figured it was meant as a distraction, I didn't go back after the encounter to press it :(

I feel that's been the bulk of my notifications for all games since practically day one. No idea.

Moofers

I wasn't going to buy this. I told myself I already have too many games that I own and I could save money by skipping this one. Then one of my best friends called me up Tuesday morning and talked me into it...

I'm glad he did.

It's really been a surprisingly good game. I don't want to spoil anything, but at first I didn't understand all the praise. It seemed kind of average in design but real pretty and with tight controls. But still, nothing special at the end of the day. Then "it" happened and the whole thing was turned on it's head. The game's story has captivated me since then and I can't wait for my next opportunity to play. I'm currently visiting my wife's family for the weekend and I'm praying they all go to bed early so I can fire up Remote Play on my Vita and get back into it. :)

Also, is that some great main menu music or what?

EBE

beat this yesterday and am playing through it again (second timeline - fergus). its a good game. had some issues with the game's poor boss encounters as well as some unfortunate audio problems (its oddly silent at times, almost as if sounds are missing) but i mostly enjoyed myself the whole way through. id give it a solid 7.5/10.

So any tips for the final boss on Uber? Had trouble just on normal due to not being able to see shit.

I figured I'd just jump right to the final chapter. I'm assuming I can't pick 999 mode and jump right there, right?

I feel like I haven't played a solid single player shooter in years. This is a genre I've enjoyed in the past but haven't really since most FPS's are catering to the COD crowd. The last few I've enjoyed are bulletstorm and rage. Will this game fill the FPS itch I've been craving for the past few years?

calder

Bought this game Saturday night and played it a ton since. Just very, very well executed in most ways and way more fun than I was expecting.

Based on the reveal trailer I had zero interest in this game and pretty much ignored all previews about it until the word of mouth and a few glowing reviews last week had me take a look.

I know theres a Wolfenstein performance thread here somewhere, but that doesn't seem like its getting too much activity.

I'm playing a 1620p Ultra settings, except when Screen-space reflections is set to high it murders the framerate, yet when i disable it, it stays at 60fps with the ocassional drops to 56-58fps.

As hard as I try to look, I have yet to see what Screen-Space Reflections does, does anyone know what difference it makes? I'm barely about 30 minutes into the games so perhaps it will be noticeable later on, will it?

Levyne

Banned
I know theres a Wolfenstein performance thread here somewhere, but that doesn't seem like its getting too much activity.

I'm playing a 1620p Ultra settings, except when Screen-space reflections is set to high it murders the framerate, yet when i disable it, it stays at 60fps with the ocassional drops to 56-58fps.

As hard as I try to look, I have yet to see what Screen-Space Reflections does, does anyone know what difference it makes? I'm barely about 30 minutes into the games so perhaps it will be noticeable later on, will it?

Off the top of my head, reflections from the floor in chapter 13. I'm not saying that's the only one, but most specific one on my mind. I didn't see a lot of it though since enabling MSAA in the console seems to disable it, and I was usually running 4x MSAA.

ILHASS

So, i think this game deserved 9/10, even with that ending. Beat on XOne, 1000/1000 done. Uber is not so hard, only have trouble in that damn 14 chapter..

Unit24

I feel like I haven't played a solid single player shooter in years. This is a genre I've enjoyed in the past but haven't really since most FPS's are catering to the COD crowd. The last few I've enjoyed are bulletstorm and rage. Will this game fill the FPS itch I've been craving for the past few years?

Absolutely.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Screen-space reflections causes surfaces that should be reflective, such as water, to accurately reflect the environment, as opposed to faking this effect with a texture (see Watch Dogs, for example) or having it be absent entirely. I wouldn't say SSRs are something you'll miss in Wolf14 due to the game being rather uneven visually and the fact you'll be spending most of your time causing chaos.

EBE

Two words that can make a man spend 60$ of his hard earned money. Sometimes I hate this forum :p

id say maybe. i actually kind of disliked my first few hours with the game. so much so that i had to put it down and come back to it a day later and restart from scratch. the game suffers from what i think is a bit too much stop and go gameplay. you get into a gunfight (which can be great) but then the pace of the game slows down to a crawl as you look around for secrets or ammo to collect (just let me walk over it to pick it up. i dont understand why i have to press x. same goes for armor). it has a pretty slow start and i dont think the story hits as many highs as people are letting on. i did enjoy it for it, for what thats worth, i just dont think absolutely and 'unquestionably' are wholly accurate. it has its problems. like i said, a solid 7.5 or 8.0

DocSeuss

Started back at the beginning to pick up some secrets. Uh... I'm at the bit where you're supposed to look through the crack in the door, but the prompt isn't coming up, and I NEVER used this mechanic while playing the game, so I actually don't remember what it is.

Anyone know the command to look under the door? PC, obviously.

Top Bottom