• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

ShutterMunster

Two words that can make a man spend 60$ of his hard earned money. Sometimes I hate this forum :p

I'm enjoying it immensely myself. It's a good ol fashion FPS romp. Out of the three games I'm playing right now (Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein, and Transistor) it's the one I'm having the most fun with. I'm surprised by how much I'm digging the story. It's wacky stuff over-the-top B-movie stuff, but they handle it well.

id say maybe. i actually kind of disliked my first few hours with the game. so much so that i had to put it down and come back to it a day later and restart from scratch. the game suffers from what i think is a bit too much stop and go gameplay. you get into a gunfight (which can be great) but then the pace of the game slows down to a crawl as you look around for secrets or ammo to collect. it has a pretty slow start and i dont think the story hits as many highs as people are letting on. i did enjoy it for it, for what thats worth, i just dont think absolutely and 'unquestionably' are wholly accurate. it has its problems. like i said, a solid 7.5 or 8.0

In comparison to recent FPSs in the past years how does it rank? I said it in an earlier post that I haven't played a solid FPS campaign in awhile. This is a genre I haven't found much in the past years and looking for my fix.

I'm enjoying it immensely myself. It's a good ol fashion FPS romp. Out of the three games I'm playing right now (Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein, and Transistor) it's the one I'm having the most fun with. I'm surprised by how much I'm digging the story. It's wacky stuff over-the-top B-movie stuff, but they handle it well.

Gonna pick this up tomorrow, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I usually end up enjoying games like this than the AAA stuff that releases. How long is the campaign?

Felensis

Banned
Chapter 09 for me ATM and totally addicted to it. Man, what an awesome, genious old-school shooter! Totally in the mood of the gorgeous The Darkness, one of my all-time faves. Playing on Über and til now it's not very hard at all. Everyone who loves good shooters, stories and characters should go get right NOW!

Unit24

In comparison to recent FPSs in the past years how does it rank? I said it in an earlier post that I haven't played a solid FPS campaign in awhile. This is a genre I haven't found much in the past years and looking for my fix.

Gonna pick this up tomorrow, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I usually end up enjoying games like this than the AAA stuff that releases. How long is the campaign?

My first two playthroughs took me about 9 hours each, and every subsequent playthrough has been shorter since I know the game so well now. Some people have reported having around 15 hours as their final time, but I really don't see how that can happen unless you're going really slow or dying a lot.

EBE

its a good reboot. it offers up some great moments and some solid shooting. im mostly just addressing the people that are making it out to be a near perfect experience. i bought it out of want for something that wasnt just a straight military shooter. if youre coming in fresh, you may want to consider what your 60 dollars means to you. the game has quite a bit of content at 11 hours for one play through, but without any interesting modes to keep you coming back, i dont know how youll feel about it in the long run
(i was dissappointed none of the extra modes were a score attack mode like halo or gears or even bulletstorm. the ones that are there are pretty throwaway)

tesqui

jesus why does the shooting in this FEEL SO GOOD.
How have I ever enjoyed shooters before this?

The last time I had this much fun with a singleplayer fps strictly because of gameplay was maybe BLACK or the Timesplitters games.

Jobbs

Banned
Okay, finally played this a good bit tonight. Initial thoughts, generically, the game is very well crafted, and better than I expected. In terms of story and characterization it's also way different and better than you'd expect.

I got on
the train and finally had sex with that hot nurse. Next morning she started telling me all the shit I had to go do. For some reason I wasn't as interested in helping her anymore and turned the game off.

finished it on über this weekend.
i can't say how much i love this game!
just wanna say thank you to machine games for one of the best shooters ever!

I feel like I haven't played a solid single player shooter in years. This is a genre I've enjoyed in the past but haven't really since most FPS's are catering to the COD crowd. The last few I've enjoyed are bulletstorm and rage. Will this game fill the FPS itch I've been craving for the past few years?

Most definitely.

In my opinion the game feels like a mixture of Half-Life 2 and BioShock, with the setting of Wolfenstein turned up to eleven.
It's that good.

EBE

also, i should have added that i didnt like the weapon select wheel. i just used the kinect. nice feature to have.

tenz0r

Just went out and picked this up, still planning on picking up Watch_Dogs tomorrow also. Going to juggle two games at once. I just couldn't hold out any longer on Wolfenstein with all the GAF hype.

notBald

I'm playing a 1620p Ultra settings, except when Screen-space reflections is set to high it murders the framerate, yet when i disable it, it stays at 60fps with the ocassional drops to 56-58fps.

As hard as I try to look, I have yet to see what Screen-Space Reflections does, does anyone know what difference it makes? I'm barely about 30 minutes into the games so perhaps it will be noticeable later on, will it?

Not made by me, but here's a comparison:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/75976/

Just move your mouse over the image to see it without Screen-Space Reflections.

Not much of a visual impact, but it does liven up the scene.

Best FPS right along with FEAR, Half Life 2, STALKER, Bulletstorm, Shadow Warrior, and Metro games. Some of those games don't even have as well-executed gameplay or not as great storytelling.

Great game, but the stealth sections don't even make sense. If you're seen no one raises an alarm, the guy who sees you just runs toward you, and then you stab them to death.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Maybe the DLC will have
Engel as the antagonist. She will probably be going after BJ as he messed up her face and killed her lover in front of her
. Or maybe they will save her for the sequel

DocSeuss

Best FPS right along with FEAR, Half Life 2, STALKER, Bulletstorm, Shadow Warrior, and Metro games. Some of those games don't even have as well-executed gameplay or not as great storytelling.

Replace Half-Life 2 with No One Lives Forever and you've got a fantastic list.

DocSeuss

I think those lists are pretty subjective.

I get really annoyed by people who bring up "subjective" because they disagree, but instead of saying "I disagree," they feel like putting down the other person's opinion by reminding them of the obvious "opinions are personally subjective" nonsense. Great. Thanks for that worthless statement.

Stratn

Most definitely.

In my opinion the game feels like a mixture of Half-Life 2 and BioShock, with the setting of Wolfenstein turned up to eleven.
It's that good.

I wanted to say I haven't had this much fun in a single player story since Half life 2.... The developers that made this game should give them selves a pat on the back, and they deserve the praise they are getting. I am really enjoying the engaging characters, the shooting mechanics, and the pacing is perfect. I was worried this wasn't going to be worth the 60$ price tag due to no multiplayer...... I was wrong!!

Question...how long is this game when you dont rush through it? :)
I dont want to pay 60 bucks for 8-10 hours.

If you're looking for secrets and stuff I'd say you're good for 15-20 hours.

I played 19 hours and haven't even found all secrets.

Also you have two different timelines to go through with some minor changes storywise and also some different paths through the individual levels.

If you're going for all secrets, both storylines and maybe even Uber difficulty, I think you're good for at least 30 hours. It's all worth the full price.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
About halfway through the campaign and I would say it is a decent FPS with solid performance, functional sound effects, and glorious gore that doesn't quite get to the head-popping satisfaction of Gears of War. I do enjoy the thrill of holding two machine guns at the same time and shredding enemies. I just wish the sound was fuller. Pleasantly surprised to see less over the top machismo being replaced by more human story lines. I wouldn't put this up there with Half-Life, but it is far better than Killzone: Shadow Fall. It certainly is refreshing to see a studio going all out for a dedicated single player shooter that isn't filler for a multiplayer game.

Only near the end of chapter 2 (I dont have a lot of gaming time and when I do I do it slowly), but I'll agree with the general sentiment that this game is awesome so far. It's just plain fun and I like the setting.

There are few games I think about and actually wanted to play while I wasn't, and this is one of them. Even as I'm playing it's fun enough that I may beat a section and then go back and replay from the last checkpoint just to kill the Nazis again. Maybe save a few bullets and some health the second time around. Or get one more headshot than last time.

3 complaints so far, one of them very annoying and the others slightly so. I can't hear what the hell people are saying (big issue for me), the tutorial text is stupidly small (not much of it so not a huge issue) the subtitles are too small, and I shouldn't have to push square to pick up ammo and armor. The rest I should have to, but not for those imo.

Basically though if you like FPS games and want to kill some shit, I don't think you could go wrong with this game.

eso76

what's going on here ?
i thought this was going to be an utterly forgettable game and gaf is calling it a classic ??
and old starbreeze members involvment ??
Damn.

Ps4 version good i assume ?

Ending Discussion

So BJ is dead then? I heard talk there was an after credits sequence but all I heard was a helicopter and then it cut to the menu. Did I miss something?

Between Frau Engel being alive still and the chopper noise, I'd guess Anya and co. came back to get BJ before the nuke dropped. Gotta set up that sequel!

DieH@rd

Banned
what's going on here ?
i thought this was going to be an utterly forgettable game and gaf is calling it a classic ??
and old starbreeze members involvment ??
Damn.
It's a very well made game with awesome gunplay/story/chars/world. Its a perfect continuation of what made Riddick/Darkness so great.

Ps4 version good i assume ?
Yes, it works [and looks] awesome.

I don't really understand the number of middling reviews with this game. I just finished it, and it's easily one of the greatest FPS's this side of HL2. It wasn't perfect, but its stumbles were short and forgivable.

I think the
Lunar
level was the worst offender. While it could have easily been one of the most memorable levels, it felt sparse and underdeveloped.

Very much looking forward to getting right into a second play-through with an alternate story choice and different playstyle.

Moff

cant understand the low reviews.
this is easily one of the top 5 shooter released after HL2.

so much diversity, great gameplay, great art design, world building and a story I could enjoy, although I usually dislike "cinematic experiences".
level design was surprisingly non-linear too, great replay value and lots of stuff do discover in the levels.

this is a shooter I will replay a lot. the wolfenstein franchise is very dear to me, because wolf3d sparked my love for my favourite genres many years ago, and I honestly think this might be the franchise's best game, yet. it does so many things right and I love how it combines old school and modern shooter elements and takes the best of both worlds.

2 downsides: all in all too much story, not enough gameplay, some levels feel incredibly short, too small and not enough to kill in them.

and then, idtech5, this is the second game this abysmal, pc-hating engine almost ruined for me. I didnt manage to ever run the game perfectly.

lingpanda

To those that have finished the game. Just got to
the moon.
Will I miss any must play moments if I don't finish it? Plan to trade this game in tomorrow. Thanks.

antitrop

I'm glad this game is getting the recognition it deserves on GAF. At least with something like Spec Ops, I understood the high 70s reviews, the gameplay was average and the story was exceptional, but Wolfenstein delivers on all fronts.

I just don't know what they want out of shooters.

KORNdoggy

Uh, so how am I supposed to go by figuring out th enigma codes? Is there some hint or trick to them?

Don't just give me the answer, I want to figure them out but I just don't know where to start.

One you get all the codes for a single puzzle, it should start with a specific number at the start of each row. Thats the clue as to the pattern the rest of them follow. So, if the row starts with 2, change the first number to 02, then the next number in that pattern would be 04, 06, and so on. The second row is typically just the first row in reverse.

Hope that kinda helps?

In my opinion it puts a lot of the recent FPS to shame. It's focus on story, and level pacing made it very enjoyable for me. The characters are great, and the soundtrack is good for the senerious you are put in. I also love the different locations you are taken too. It felt like I was on an epic journey, rather than some linear timeline. The first level was very generic though lol. Then after the first chapter or so, shit really starts to unfold when a choice needs to be made. I think I spent about 12-14 hours with the game, because I was really exploring and doing the side quest collectible things. All the news paper bits were very interesting, and painted a picture of what the world would be like with Nazi's in charge. Only a few bad points like difficulty spikes in the later levels, and a few cheap deaths. The sound was good, but not great like some people said already. Great game worth $60 IMO. 9/10 for not being COD/BF4/Killzone , but more like bioshock, dishonered, half life with its excellent pacing.

eso76

Yes, it works [and looks] awesome.

does it ?
in screenshots and videos i've seen it doesn't look that good, certainly not on par with stuff like Battlefield 4 or Killzone, which I believe is why the game has been getting a few low scores from more superficial reviewers.
Presentation really means a lot these days.

But man, after seeing a couple videos, the choice of music alone really speaks volumes.
Game has style.

DieH@rd

Banned
does it ?
in screenshots and videos i've seen it doesn't look that good, certainly not on par with stuff like Battlefield 4 or Killzone, which I believe is why the game has been getting a few low scores from more superficial reviewers.
Presentation really means a lot these days.

Its not the prettiest games, but artstyle is awesome [opening WW2 chapter is worst-looking] and from time to time game is stunning. Overall, it is more pretty than 90%+ of the games out there.

Replace Half-Life 2 with No One Lives Forever and you've got a fantastic list.

I really need to play that, just have only seen videos of it. I think I bought it a while ago when my laptop couldn't play games lol. Might have to give it a LTTP when I get around to it.

notBald

I really need to play that, just have only seen videos of it. I think I bought it a while ago when my laptop couldn't play games lol. Might have to give it a LTTP when I get around to it.
No one lives forever is a great game, but only for those that enjoy the humor. Might be an idea to look at some youtube videos before hunting down a copy.

If you enjoy the Austin Powers movies you'll probably have a great time. Obviously I didn't :)

So I'm literally at the main menu about to start this for the first time. Should I choose Uber difficulty first off or will it just hinder my enjoyment?

Raptor

Played till all night this weekend, reached to the
Prison Break Wyatt's Timeline
this is up there with Metro LL as best FPS ever created both compliment to form a perfect FPS of all time, this has the best gunplay ever and Metro LL has the best atmosphere and setting, I love them both equally for differetn reasons lols.

Goddamn man this game gunplay is so addicting and satisfying, the damn GORE, BLODD, GIBS EVERYWHERE, CHUNKS OF MEAT, CARNAGE, all super satisfying with ALL weapons.

While the sound is great for the most part with the Gold Wireless Headset still some gun sounds could have been better like the Auto Shotgun lacks punch, so as the pistol, but the AR is incredible, sound mixing is lacking overall though.

I really love it, well done Machinegames, well fucking done.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
To those that have finished the game. Just got to
the moon.
Will I miss any must play moments if I don't finish it? Plan to trade this game in tomorrow. Thanks.

You will be missing out the game's best chapters. Shit gets real after that level

Top Bottom