• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

cosby.gif

That clip should be on youtube as This Is How You Play Wolfenstein. Thanks zorbsie for that!

riflen

Reflections in this game also affect concrete, metal, and skin.

Edit: Why I'm here:
I am on PC and I have been getting bad performance on level load lately. I have to pause the game for a minute or so and let it smooth out or else it is unplayable. I also managed to make the 4xMSAA command stick somehow and now I have to turn it off every time I die. It sucks because I actually enjoy the reflections and I can simply downsample.

Shouldn't be a spec issue:
3570k @ 4.2 Ghz
GTX 780
16 GB system RAM @ 1600Mhz

MSAA was fixed with the latest patch, so you didn't do anything. This sounds like you are running out of VRAM. Have you enabled vt compression?

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm planning on buying a PS4 at some point over the next 6 months (probably closer to winter time).
Should I pick this up now for my X1 or wait unit I have a PS4? Is there much difference between the two versions?

Guy.brush

The weapons in the 1940's section are so much more satisfying to use than the ones in 1960, they kinda sound like crap in comparison. I wish you could have kept them.

Definitely true.
MG46 >>>>>> MG60 (laser variant)
Assault rifle 46>>> Assault rifle 60
You could switch the fire rate on the 46 assault rifle too!

Would actually have fit BJ's character nicely to use/dig up an older weapon that still works brute force against some futuristic power armor.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
holy mother of christ I just bet the hangar, on hard (not uber, the one below).

that was brutal.

this entire chapter was could have been the last chapter, as far as the difficulty was concerned.

Alpha_eX

Just spent over an hour on this section, Uber.

iv5hsec4Kagh5.gif

It check pointed me with only a pistol, 7 bullets in the scoped rifle and my laser cutter. Ridiculously hard but SO satisfying when I took down the shotgun dude who would instant kill me.

I was trapped in that tiny corner, only option was to poke out and use my pistol. If I ran out for another position I was dead.

Oh and I had about 40 health.

GOTY so far, it's the sort-of sequel to Rage that I always wanted.

iv5hsec4Kagh5.gif

It check pointed me with only a pistol, 7 bullets in the scoped rifle and my laser cutter. Ridiculously hard but SO satisfying when I took down the shotgun dude who would instant kill me.

I was trapped in that tiny corner, only option was to poke out and use my pistol. If I ran out for another position I was dead.

I managed to glitch myself past this section. If you leg it to the scaffolding ledge, when they finally kill you, you respawn with them all dead there.

Actually annoyed me as I wanted to complete it properly.

Cudder

iv5hsec4Kagh5.gif

This part took me a bunch of tries as well on Uber.

What I did was use a charged up shot from the laser rifle on the shotgun guy, go behind the corner again, pull out my pistol and stop and popped about 5 guys. By that time the shotgun guy would be right around the corner so I pulled out my double pistols and waited for him. As soon as I saw him I unloaded and that killed him.

Alpha_eX

How do you charge the laser shot, is this when you scope and it does the lock-on stuff?

I managed to take him down by loading him with pistol shots while he approached and then as he was turning the corner to me, loaded him with laser blasts until he fell / before he could shoot.

I then took everyone else out from behind the corner with pistol .

So I'm writing a few thousand words on why I love this game for a new thread. This thread will have a ridiculous amount of GIFs. I don't think GAF is ready.

iv5hsec4Kagh5.gif

Yup, got check pointed with that same setup on Uber. After too many tries of sticking to that first wall and failing, I decided to use all my ammo on the first few regular enemies (no helmets) so that I could clear enough of an area to pick up the assault rifle ammo they drop without getting hammered. It worked! Then I used the assault rifle to take out the rest, and left the shotgun dude for last killing him with 2 rockets. One of the most brutal yet satisfying sections. It was again another indicator that wherever you are in the game, it's better to be moving around than to be whack-a-mole'ing because you will get flushed out.

antitrop

I'm planning on buying a PS4 at some point over the next 6 months (probably closer to winter time).
Should I pick this up now for my X1 or wait unit I have a PS4? Is there much difference between the two versions?

The XBO and PS4 versions are almost exactly the same. Get it now for The Bone.

So I'm writing a few thousand words on why I love this game for a new thread. This thread will have a ridiculous amount of GIFs. I don't think GAF is ready.

Yup, got check pointed with that same setup on Uber. After too many tries of sticking to that first wall and failing, I decided to use all my ammo on the first few regular enemies (no helmets) so that I could clear enough of an area to pick up the assault rifle ammo they drop without getting hammered. It worked! Then I used the assault rifle to take out the rest, and left the shotgun dude for last killing him with 2 rockets. One of the most brutal yet satisfying sections. It was again another indicator that wherever you are in the game, it's better to be moving around than to be whack-a-mole'ing because you will get flushed out.

When you come to in the crashed spaceship, don't shoot at any of the enemies on the overpass advancing toward you because you'll use up a bunch of your ammo for nothing. Just duck down and wait and you'll go to the cutscene where you rope into the room where you smash the guys head against the wall. I tired this strategy on my second playthrough and it made that area a piece of cake.

MSAA was fixed with the latest patch, so you didn't do anything. This sounds like you are running out of VRAM. Have you enabled vt compression?
That is good news. I guess I will hop back in now for a replay. I haven't played it since release week. Compression was not enabled and it kind of fixed the problem.

Levyne

Banned
How do you charge the laser shot, is this when you scope and it does the lock-on stuff?

I managed to take him down by loading him with pistol shots while he approached and then as he was turning the corner to me, loaded him with laser blasts until he fell / before he could shoot.

I then took everyone else out from behind the corner with pistol .

Yeah, you scope and there's a charging indicator.

And yeah, I also had to restart the chapter at that point to get some better weapons given to me, weird bug.

netguy503

So this game is $39.99 at Best Buy this week ($31.99 for GCU) How is best buy at giving money back if you are still in the 45 day window? What do I need to do? I don't have the receipt but I am a mybestbuy reward member and a CGU member they could easily look my purchase up on computer, right? Also, do I need to bring in the opened game as proof? Thanks.

Levyne

Banned
You mean you want to get the sale difference back? Sometimes the window on that is independent of the return policy or whatever. They can look up receipts in store, and I think that's especially easy if you're a rewards member. I doubt you need to bring the item in but I'm not sure.

netguy503

You mean you want to get the sale different back? Sometimes the window on that is independent of the return policy or whatever. They can look up receipts in store, and I think that's especially easy if you're a rewards member. I doubt you need to bring the item in but I'm not sure.

Yes, I want to get the sales difference back. Thanks.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, sorry I can't be more help. I worked BB in early college but in the warehouse, lol. Being a rewards member always seems to make things 1000% easier when it comes to those sorts of customer service transactions so hopefully that helps a lot.

netguy503

Yeah, sorry I can't be more help. I worked BB in early college but in the warehouse, lol. Being a rewards member always seems to make things 1000% easier when it comes to those sorts of customer service transactions so hopefully that helps a lot.

I hope they can can give the CGU pricepoint to me since I am a member now (I either got CGU with Watchdogs or this game...I'm not sure) but since I'm a member now I hope I get those savings. Either way I'm getting $20 bucks back (hopefully $30). And then I'm definitely reupping my CGU for another two years since that sale ends on the 5th and I have a $10 coupon that expires next month while I'm on vacation.

lmbotiva

Does this game gets any better or what? I bought it on the GAF hype alone, I'm about an hour in to the game and it's very, how should I put it, boring? Uninteresting? Please tell me it gets better

Levyne

Banned
Does this game gets any better or what? I bought it on the GAF hype alone, I'm about an hour in to the game and it's very, how should I put it, boring? Uninteresting? Please tell me it gets better

Many people don't care for the first chapter (I thought it was fine). If you're at...I dunno...chapter 6 or so and still don't feel it, then maybe it's just not your thing :(

lmbotiva

Many people don't care for the first chapter (I thought it was fine). If you're at...I dunno...chapter 6 or so and still don't feel it, then maybe it's just not your thing :(
I'm at the part where you start
climbing a building, right after the robot dog catches the grenade
and it feels like an on rails shooter, I got bored and stopped there, will play more later

Cudder

It absolutely does. The first level, and a little beyond that, I was pretty unimpressed with. Game gets way better later on.

and it feels like an on rails shooter, I got bored and stopped there, will play more later

That's the first level. It's taken you an hour to get there?

riflen

Oh yeah, you've got nowhere. You're still playing the prologue. The game gets going soon enough.

antitrop

That's like saying you're bored with Chrono Trigger at the Millennial Fair.

Alpha_eX

So how many times did people die towards the end of the Bridge chapter trying to jump into the helicopter? You either jump short, or too high and hit it so that you fall.

Worst thing about that section is, the checkpoint is BEFORE the jump, so every time you die in the next section you have to make the jump and listen to the mini dialogue section while you fly around to the fight area.

Oh and when I finally did that, I fell into the water trying to jump from the helicopter... FUUUUU

So how many times did people die towards the end of the Bridge chapter trying to jump into the helicopter? You either jump short, or too high and hit it so that you fall.
I died so many times on the initial jump out of the helicopter that I had to stop and wonder whether the game was just too unforgiving or I've been a moron all of these years. After some careful deliberation I ended up blaming the game ;p

Was replaying some Wolfenstein last night on hard and holy shit at the very first encounter when you first make your way back from one particular motherfucking place. You start in a room full of alerted bad guys, both on your level and above, including one of those shithead shotgun troopers, you're low on health and ammo, and have shit cover. Go!

I replayed it maybe half a dozen times and couldn't believe that there's not a single health pack to be found on that floor, and nothing to help you when hiding behind the scant cover positions there are. Was just brutal.

I think I died once from failing to jump to or from said helicopter in my two playthroughs. Maybe you're all playing the secret "Helicopter six inches to the left" difficulty level?

someday

Banned
I had the dual wielded shotguns and died over and over again. As soon as I switched to a single weapon, I made it right on.

I haven't been paying attention to this game at all, but I recently got a PS4 and I'm looking for games to play. Is the general consensus for this game positive? As someone who typically likes the big triple-A shooters (COD4, MW2, BioShock) is this game worth checking out?

Obviously, I know that you guys can't tell me whether or not I'll like this game, but I still like hearing from people who might have tastes similar to mine.

I haven't been paying attention to this game at all, but I recently got a PS4 and I'm looking for games to play. Is the general consensus for this game positive? As someone who typically likes the big triple-A shooters (COD4, MW2, BioShock) is this game worth checking out?

Obviously, I know that you guys can't tell me whether or not I'll like this game, but I still like hearing from people who might have tastes similar to mine.

If you enjoy the big shooters like that I see no reason why you wouldn't enjoy Wolfenstein. Fantastic Gunplay, surprisingly good story and characters, decent to amazing level design depending on level, and RPG-lite level ups which are actually enjoyable to unlock

leng jai

PS4 version runs quite beautifully, 60fps most of the time and no noticeable tearing. As have been mentioned numerous times, they really nailed the gunplay in this. The way the guns rattle when fired and how the enemies react to being hit is very satisfying. Just shooting things alone in this game worth the price of admission. It's so nice to be actually be able to hit shit without having to use iron sights all the time.

Unfortunately the audio feedback is some of the worst I've ever heard in a FPS. What the fuck happened here? The first gun you get in the game is the most pitiful thing I've had the displeasure of hearing in a while. What makes it even more bizarre is that the rest of the game sounds quite satisfying and ultra loud in comparison. I'm only an hour or so in so perhaps the guns later on have more oomph? The mounted chain gun doesn't sound any good either. I wonder if anyone is working on a sound pack for this on PC, I remember Doom 3 had one. Might be worth picking up the PC version for cheap down the track if there is one.

Still downloading the 5GB patch though if that ends up changing anything.

someday

Banned

I play the same games and I really enjoyed this. It was a lot more challenging too. I play COD games on Veteran but I had a hard time with this on Death Incarnate. I am going to try Uber though.

If you enjoy the big shooters like that I see no reason why you wouldn't enjoy Wolfenstein. Fantastic Gunplay, surprisingly good story and characters, decent to amazing level design depending on level, and RPG-lite level ups which are actually enjoyable to unlock

I play the same games and I really enjoyed this. It was a lot more challenging too. I play COD games on Veteran but I had a hard time with this on Death Incarnate. I am going to try Uber though.

Great. I'll end up checking this out then. I was initially a little wary since I've steered clear of the console Wolfensteins in the past (never really considered them to be "purchase-worthy" games), but I'm really looking forward to playing something on the PS4.

Finally bought the uncensored version. I'm past the opening chapter and already starting to like this game.
Nazi killing is fun! Dual wielding weapons should me more common in first person shooters. I'm blasting my way through hordes of enemies only using two assault rifles.

Alpha_eX

Just finished it on Uber, god DAMN is the final boss tough! I would have straight given up if you didn't get a check point mid way through, was bad enough not getting one after taking out the first of two things you need too...

I liked the ending and was genuinely upset the game was over... so I started it again on the middle setting, it's a different game just running into rooms without being cautious, feel SO good.

Story and all aside, my favourite thing about the game is the lean mechanic, I love it to bits especially in heated fire fights where you literally dodge bullets and quickly poke in and out of cover.

Game of the year, for sure.

I feel this was the sequel to Rage and I was happy with that, I would another 'sequel' but with a different story/universe from Bethesda, this is how FPS should be.

antitrop

Picked it up as a last-minute purchase in the Steam sale, I enjoyed the prologue.

I had to rebind the crouch key, though, sliding was basically impossible by default.

I have Shift as a Toggle Sprint, so I only have to press it once and then I can easily tap Control to slide. Just have to slide your pinky down a key.

Now the real finger manipulation is trying to make the Lean work on Alt. My fingers rest on the keyboard like my hand is permanently mangled into a deformed claw when I'm playing Wolfenstein.

It's fine, though, I wouldn't want to play it any other way.

I have lean on ctrl since I'll never want to do it while sprinting (and that's on toggle anyway) and I have crouch on Q.

I can't say how pleased I am with the languages in the game. Characters speak in polish/german when it makes sense, so refreshing

Kadin

If my video card doesn't support Pixel shader 5.0 or Vertex shader 5.0, it supports both at 4.0, will the game just flat out refuse to play or is it still possible?

Top Bottom