• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolverine leaked again (new footage)

March Climber

Gold Member
care to explain?
Allow me to get that for you.

Its complete drivel.
If you want a clear example, posters like SlimeGooGoo and Fuz used to be seen as overly negative to the point where they were considered edgy and trolling. As a matter of fact that literally became Slime's whole 'character' for a while on this forum, where he used to be one of the first 10 posters into any thread possible to tell everyone how the thread's topic sucks and sometimes derail the entire thread with an out-there take to the point where I sometimes wondered if he had some sort of forum rule-immunity. I don't want to just say it was those two though. Back then however, it was clear which posters were doing this as a joke, which were edgy, and which were trolling.

Now, take what I just said above and over time apply that level of negativity to... I'd say maybe 2/3 of the forum's userbase. Now it's much harder to know who's telling a joke, who's being edgy, and who is trolling. Whereas before it was maybe 50/50, now there are so many 'SlimeGooGoo' and 'Fuz' types on GAF, that those two posters would seem like the norm today instead of the outliers. However, the big difference is that some of these posters are using culture war content as a shield to be as edgy as possible so as to not catch a ban.

This is a side tangent so if you want to discuss it more we can privately, but I don't want to derail this Wolverine thread with how I feel about the forum community.

Edit: Added clarky clarky so he can see this too.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
From the same leak of the build in the OP.

Something worth taking away from those images is that Insomniac are preparing themselves for what they're going to do after Spider-Man 3 in 2028. Unless something changes, that is the end of their Spider-Man run.

They do state that they are setting up small teams now for a future Ratchet & Clank, as well as new IP. They already began work on the next Ratchet game last year, according to the slides. Work on a new IP should start next year.

What will be interesting to see is if X-Men becomes their next 10-year Marvel IP run. I do wonder if they'll throw as much into those as they did with Spider-Man. As long as their timelines hold, Spider-Man games will have dropped every two to three years.

X-Men doesn't seem, as of right now, to mirror that release cadence. That makes me wonder if Insomniac's plan is to throttle back on being such a Marvel studio. Instead, putting more effort into their own, original creations.

But, there is a potential explanation for the reduced X-Men cadence versus Spider-Man. The latter is ongoing and sucking up resources that may have otherwise gone to the former.

So, I do also wonder if when Spider-Man is over that we'll see them take the same route with X-Men. Mainline games every three to four years, filled in with smaller spin-offs to bridge the gaps.

I do seem to recall something that came out of these leaks was the shock of the development budget for Spider-Man 2. Even internally. With a supposed conversation being had that a better path forward was to scale back a bit and put more emphasis on smaller games with lower budgets and faster release timelines. I could be misremembering, though.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
If you want a clear example, posters like SlimeGooGoo and Fuz used to be seen as overly negative to the point where they were considered edgy and trolling. As a matter of fact that literally became Slime's whole 'character' for a while on this forum, where he used to be one of the first 10 posters into any thread possible to tell everyone how the thread's topic sucks and sometimes derail the entire thread with an out-there take to the point where I sometimes wondered if he had some sort of forum rule-immunity. I don't want to just say it was those two though. Back then however, it was clear which posters were doing this as a joke, which were edgy, and which were trolling.

Now, take what I just said above and over time apply that level of negativity to... I'd say maybe 2/3 of the forum's userbase. Now it's much harder to know who's telling a joke, who's being edgy, and who is trolling. Whereas before it was maybe 50/50, now there are so many 'SlimeGooGoo' and 'Fuz' types on GAF, that those two posters would seem like the norm today instead of the outliers. However, the big difference is that some of these posters are using culture war content as a shield to be as edgy as possible so as to not catch a ban.

This is a side tangent so if you want to discuss it more we can privately, but I don't want to derail this Wolverine thread with how I feel about the forum community.

ah ok. Now I get what you are saying.

Lokaum D+

"Insomniac is PlayStations best studio" they said. Lol
Most devs on market are doing 1 game at the same time that Insomaniac made 5, the "bad" quality of their games atm is because Sony is milking them like crazy, while other Studios didnt announced shit.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member

Apologies i get what your saying now. No need to derail further.

That cannot be real. It just can't. Even as a pre alpha 'concept', that is just headed so far down the wrong path someone has to stop them, if they haven't already.

Insomniac are not capable of producing such trash (for balance, they also aren't capable of producing anything great anymore either - all of their PS5 output has been by the numbers bang average). I did and do think that Wolverine was a bad pick for them, but this looks like they aren't even trying.

Not buying it (literally or figuratively). If it is anything like that it will never get released.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
Wolverine is a character opposite to Spiderman in many ways, so the game should be different too. It's not about graphics, we know Insomniac delivers on that. Having Wolverine jumping around and climbing with claws is just dumb.

bender

What time is it?
giphy.gif

March Climber

Gold Member
Apologies i get what your saying now. No need to derail further.
No worries man. My time on this forum and other, edgier forums, has given me a skin as thick as Iron Man's armor. You kind of have to be when on forums as everyone has a certain level of jadedness.

Even when I point certain people out or get into heated conversations with them, I don't harbor any feelings towards them afterwards nor do I block them. I just accept that I'll never see eye to eye with them, so it's at least fun to debate them sometimes.

hinch7

Wolverine is a character opposite to Spiderman in many ways, so the game should be different too. It's not about graphics, we know Insomniac delivers on that. Having Wolverine jumping around and climbing with claws is just dumb.
Yeah I was expecting a more linear, GoW type game with adult themes. And less jumping/bouncing around.

Maybe Insomniac can make this the new Arkham that WB/Rocksteady left on the table. We shall see.

Last edited:

JayK47

My interest in this game is pretty fucking low at this point. That is not the Wolverine that I know and love.

YOU PC BRO?!

Gold Member
He moves more like I would expect the Hulk to move rather than Wolverine. When they announced Wolverine I expected the game to be more intimate... perhaps following a more traditional mission structure with a central hub or something like Xaviers mansion. Unless you give Logan his motorcycle or some other means of traversal I don't see how an open world game would work with this character. Then again, why would you want that in a Wolverine game?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
People getting all judgy about this is pretty gross considering this all comes from the same giant ransomware hack and wasn't meant for public consumption.

nial

Gold Member
I do seem to recall something that came out of these leaks was the shock of the development budget for Spider-Man 2. Even internally. With a supposed conversation being had that a better path forward was to scale back a bit and put more emphasis on smaller games with lower budgets and faster release timelines. I could be misremembering, though.
Yes, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Ratchet & Clank; Rift Apart, and Venom were thrown around in that conversation, IIRC.
Good analysis, do we believe that 2025-2029 is pretty much set in stone?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Any ideas how old the footage is?

We don't actually know if it's authentic or something a modder created using the stolen Spider-Man 2 assets. Could even be a complete fake.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
SIE & Insomniac need to make a playable demo for PS5 this holiday. Take back control of the narrative and make the PC leakers feel like shit. Show your loyal console owners some holiday love.

Better yet shadow-drop the demo at the VGAs. Bury that ransomware hack once and for all.

You want Insomniac to dedicate significant resources to create a playable slice for a game that won't be released for another two years? And it would have to be visually top-notch too because otherwise PS5 owners are going to lose confidence?

Don't you think that idea is perhaps a tad unrealistic to put it lightly? How many people are even aware of these crappy pre-alpha videos anyway?

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Most devs on market are doing 1 game at the same time that Insomaniac made 5, the "bad" quality of their games atm is because Sony is milking them like crazy, while other Studios didnt announced shit.
You are not wrong...but I would very much like to know how DEI is affecting Sony studios... probably years of hiring for the wrong reasons has finally reached its limits.. and shitter and shitter things are being pumped out the writing drain... not only this.. but incompetence can affect anything in development and its a good reason (as others) to why Sony is in such state and depending of Asian studios.

When Square Enix is putting out AAA games faster than you.. you know you fucked up.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Counterpoint: They'd be at risk for closure if Sony never hooked them up with the Spiderman IP. Incapable of thriving on their own merit.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Looks like a prototype, as expected. At this point Sony should show the game to stop people from saying more stupid things.

Varteras

Gold Member
Yes, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Ratchet & Clank; Rift Apart, and Venom were thrown around in that conversation, IIRC.
Good analysis, do we believe that 2025-2029 is pretty much set in stone?

I would never bet on anything being in stone, as far as release schedules. I think Venom is a safe bet for 2025, but that also seems to be a Miles Morales kind of scope. So, a bit easier to confidently pin that one down. Especially since it's certainly going to reuse a significant amount of assets and animations. The fact that it's only on a two-year development timeline is a potential issue. That is either going to be remembered as an impressive schedule, a disaster, or too optimistic at the time and it gets delayed. But, I'm gonna say this actually fits well with their goals of smaller budgets and faster timelines.

Wolverine is a bit trickier to say for sure. The slides cut off at Q4 2022, and Wolverine was in development before that. But we can't say for certain based on that slide how far back it started. It's being given a much larger timeline and resource allocation than Venom. But my concern stems from Wolverine requiring many new assets, maps, animations, and just trying to figure out the gameplay. Which will be considerably different from Spider-Man.

I don't believe this supposed leak is real. It looks like a modded fake. The actual, legit leak we saw had the game playing nothing like Spider-Man. Much closer to God of War. Meaning they have very little previous work to piggyback on for an easier development. I'm pretty sure that Wolverine is basically a "from scratch" development. Which gives me pause looking at that slide and being confident in a 2026 release.

For Spider-Man 3, I see both Insomniac and Sony doing everything in their power to have it hit 2028. Why? PlayStation 6. That is the year we've been hearing that Sony wants to release it. This would be a tremendous move by Sony to drum up excitement for the launch of the next console. With that in mind, I think that if SM3 looks to be in danger of not hitting the launch, they'll go all hands on deck to make the deadline. Which means delaying anything supposedly coming later. If Wolverine gets delayed, that would slow down the reallocation of resources to SM3. To me, a delay of Wolverine would tell me everything coming after, except SM3, is also going to miss the original timeline.

But, all of this is merely guesswork based on slides that are already a year old. More factors than I tossed out would be in play. For all we know, things already changed.

Zannegan

Gold Member
We don't actually know if it's authentic or something a modder created using the stolen Spider-Man 2 assets. Could even be a complete fake.
I feel the same way about the leaked
"Spiderman 3" footage. I'm enjoying both threads though.

AJUMP23

Where is the mask meme where you take off the mask and it is spiderman. Because this looks like a reskinned Spider-Man

Justin9mm

Looks absolutely awful in every way.
What do you expect from really early dev footage. There is so much missing from this footage, yet people still comment about how poor it looks like it's meant to resemble anything like a finished product. Look at every single Insomniac game, you really think it's going to look like this come release.. lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom