• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you pay 800 Dollars for the PlayStation 5 at launch?

Well, would ya punk?

• Yes

Votes: 93 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 606 86.7%

• Total voters

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If the launch lineup was good enough and exclusive (not just the timed bullshit), yes. But that won't happen, so, no.

DeeDogg_

Banned
I said that I'd pay as much as $999.99 if the MSRP were that high.
I stand corrected....
tenor.gif

Considering I paid much more for my Pixel XL via international shipping (and that's with the sale), this doesn't really bother me considering the specs and the usage.

ethomaz

Banned
I believe I will pay more.
I already paid way more for PS4 in 2013.

Said that $800 is basically a death sentence in US.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

The only hope of me paying that much is Demon's Souls at launch and I would still leave the store with a sore asshole.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Bankai

I've got a great sequel to this topic in mind: "would you pay $750 for the PS5?"

After that one, I would go crazy and check out "would you pay $700 for the PS5?"

Ofcourse, the story isn't quite finished by then. The next installment could be "would you pay $650 for the PS5?"

:messenger_grimmacing_

Redefine07

I would , I have an OK`ish PC with Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB DDR4 / RX570 4GB (go it for 90$ the GPU) so instead of getting something like RTX2070S I would get a PS5 , since I play only fail Dotka 2 on PC mostly.

shubik

I´m a die-hard Sony fan and will probably get the PS5 on day one (if possible). But a price tag of 800 bugs would be suicide!!! Never ever will they make this mistake. This sounds more like something Microsoft would do after a grreat game demonstration :D

REDRZA MWS

No way either console is over $499 USD. Sony tried that with the launch PS3 (going over 499 usd), and the PS3 crawled until the price dropped and hardware revisions aka features removed.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't think even Apple, does have fanbois, who asking how much more I could pay for something..... Some fucking Stockholm Syndrome if I ever see one.

Relativ9

I'll buy it day one if it's 550 or less, if it's 800 I'll wait for the "slim" version when they've worked out all the kinks and I get it cheaper on top of that.

Last edited:
Won’t pay a scalper, but will pay the going rate

And not what game (uk) think I should for their idea of a ‘console bundle’ with added game ‘overpriced tat’ !!!

Ideally max will be 600, I just can’t see how they can consider it a ‘value proposition’ above that. After all for all the talk it is still just a (highly desirable) games console. Even for The recent push and discussion of adopting an ‘Apple model’.

Personally I see one of the consoles for £500, I just hope it is the full fat one, but would probably pay more for more built in storage. After all, that is the true star of the show, with the I/o being pretty much the new gold standard and something they will lead the market on

Less than £500 would be stunning, for what you are getting in that box

But to Sony & Microsoft, bring it on. We are ready 👍

ZywyPL

Banned
800$ for 30FPS?

giphy.gif

I made a thread recently about beefed-up, 60FPS-oriented versions of PS5/XBX:

Now that's something I'd gladly pay 800$ for, even 1000-1200$, but not for this, 30FPS is just pathetic for video games, they all play like dogshit, not to mentions there's so little headroom for any potential frame pacing issues, which we could already see in the revealed games, before next-gen already started.

I built my PC for just a bit over that price tag and it can handle 1080p/60fps just fine. I better spend another 300 to upgrade the graphics card and get a faster rig rather than pay that much for a console. I will buy a PS5 eventually of course, but for a reasonable price.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
No.

Consoles are a supplement to my PC gaming. I use consoles mainly to play exclusives.

chigstoke

Anyone who pays 800 for a console, GBP, EUR, USD or whatever the fuck, needs frigging with a cactus.

I'd rather put that to a Ryzen 4000 series, X670 board and DDR5 ram as I'm due a big overhaul now spec wise (GPU aside, 2080 is still bossing it at 1440 for me). I'd go and play Xbox games on PC through game pass because I'd be done with consoles if they released at that premium.
I've got a DC, a Saturn and Retroarch, that would be plenty enough for me.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Not when the console has a filthy 10tf gpu.

Gimme a 3080 and 24gb of ram inside and i would pay even 1000 dollars with a smile on my face.

500 is the right price.

Last edited:

vdopey

I would pay 1K if it was the rumoured ~15TF and it had 24 or 32G RAM, without a second thought.

For what it currently is, no more than 600 (honestly 500) for the disc version, digital version ain't for me, I wouldn't pay anything for it.

I've never bought a console at launch, and with a heavy emphasis on cross-gen purchases with "smart delivery" purchases on the XSX for example then there's no rush to upgrade at launch either. I will have both systems at some point, but I have a lot of catching up to do before I consider investing in a new generation.

Senhua

Even if it free, I had to think twice before take it home cause without games I like it's wasting a space :messenger_beaming:

Reactions: Isa

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Hell fucking no. If they go over $500 on any model they're smoking that crack pipe, it won't sell very well even at $550. History has shown over and over and over and OVER again that people are most likely to buy a console at launch if it's $399 or less. Sony and Microsoft could pull off $499 and sell out their initial stock but it'll slow down after that.

Inflation? $400 in 2006 is roughly $500 today. $400 in 2013 is roughly $440 today. So what history are you referring to?

Top Bottom