• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you pay 800 Dollars for the PlayStation 5 at launch?

Well, would ya punk?

• Yes

Votes: 93 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 606 86.7%

• Total voters

Rudius

Nope.

But to put things into some gaming-related context: there are people paying Valve $1000 for their Valve Index VR headset (pc not included) and even $500 for a 128GB version of the Oculus Quest standalone VR headset (pc not required)

$500 may sound harsh for a console, but that's only because we're far more than 7 years in the $200-400 price range...
Already banned? What happened? 😥

On topic: a somewhat comparable PC would cost over 1000 dollars, and it still would not have the super fast loading, quick menus, 3D audio and specially the longevity of a PS5 for 500. Those who payed 400 for the PS5 in 2013 can sill play The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima in 2020, but a 2013 400 dollars PC is only good for retro gaming today.

HatefulShabbyCarpenterant-size_restricted.gif

VN1X

Banned
LOL my post actually got deleted saying that people who vote yes are delusional.

So this is really just SonyGaf then or what?

Cyborg

399/499 Magic combination!

Edit: yes I would pay for it but it would be quiet online.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
$800 is convincing, what would you pay for a gaming PC? We got to get a price out of SONY in these next couple of days, that was the one bad part of their conference was not telling us a price.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Not a chance. $600 is my absolute limit. And frankly that's still uncomfortable but I would suck it up because I want to be apart of that day 1 feeling.

Reactions: Isa

Caio

LOL my post actually got deleted saying that people who vote yes are delusional.

So this is really just SonyGaf then or what?

I would pay $800 for PS5, and also for XSX. I don't think to be delusional, I just have money and I buy any new Next Gen Console which offers me the performance and Games I want. Your comment doesn't make sense, that's why was deleted.

VN1X

Banned
I would pay $800 for PS5, and also for XSX. I don't think to be delusional, I just have money and I buy any new Next Gen Console which offers me the performance and Games I want. Your comment doesn't make sense, that's why was deleted.
Must be nice.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Naw. I'm willing to go $600 for a launch PS5. Anything higher and I'd rather just be patient and save for a PC.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I recall hardware being more solid and durable in older consoles. Remember how tough the original SNES was...or the body of the Atari 2600. I bought my wife a PS4 last year for our anniversary (she's more a gamer than I); the plastic doesn't feel very durable. I would even gripe about the flimsy plastic on the dock station for the Switch. So, unless the overall quality has somehow improved...then nothing can justify a 800/900 dollar price tag for PS5.

Yes.

I pay 800 bucks for smartphones and tablets, much more for laptops/PCs or just as much for GPUs upgrades alone (I won't be upgrading this year if I buy a console, though). I'm perfectly fine with 800 bucks, since the next gen consoles are comparable to a decent mid-range PC.

dcx4610

$800 crosses the line for a console. Even as a kid, I knew better than to ask for something like the 3DO or Neo Geo because of the price.

$600 is the absolute max you can charge for a console and even at that price, it's pushing it and better be beefy. $399-500 is the sweet spot for the consumer.

Last edited:

Katajx

I’m less worried maybe at where Sony prices the ps5 than the scalpers buying lots of them up and selling them at ridiculous prices while people wait for things to get restocked.

Mobilemofo

UK price. Max I'd go to is £550. Anything above that, Sony can get bent.. Will wait a year and stick with the Ps4 pro.

Dark Star

Nope. Absolutely not.

But you could make a case that many people are willing to spend a 1000 bucks on a new iPhone, so why not a bit less for an awesome console that WILL consume their time/life to a pretty great extent? Day 1 purchase, I mean. Sure, a gaming console can easily end up as a "Netflix machine" in most hands, but I'm confident that many users will get their money's worth after all the exclusive games run their course, in the long-term (7 years).

Even if the PS5 is 700 bucks, I can see myself waiting 1-2 years before getting one, at a reduced price / sale. At that point I'll still have many PS4 games to catch up on anyways. That being said, I don't think think PS5 will be even close to 600 bucks based on what I've seen. The graphical and hardware advantages over the PS4 will most likely not warrant a price over 500 dollars IMO.

Last edited:

20cent

Banned
Probably not.... but I'd ask myself the question if they announced a killer app (exclusive or not) for the day-1 release.

For a dlc/spin-off of Spiderman? Lol, no.

Fbh

No, at that point it would loose one of the main appeals of consoles which is the low price-decent performance ratio.

Not to mention that even if it launches at a regular price, waiting a year is still appealing since you'll probably be able to get one at a slightly lower price, with a better and more varied games catalog and avoiding any major hardware issue that might surface during the first year. An $800 pricetag would just make waiting a year or two a no brainer (at least for me)

RPSleon

Tbh, if consoles were silly expensive, i still would. Not that i WANT to.

How many people, even people who dont care about tech, drop up to £1200 on a phone every few years, and even dont mind paying more than that on contract. It seems crazy to me that something that offers you much better higher quality entertainment should cost so little in comparison.

I wouldnt be suprised to see sony and microsoft offer some sort of payment plan for easier access to the consoles for more people. Maybe even digital download subsidisation for people with payment plans.

Still, not something id be excited to hear about.

toker818

Banned
Of course not because playstation always has very bad game line up in the 1 - 2 years will have to wait till 2022 when finally Sony delivers on its first party 🥳

Trimesh

Banned
Absolutely not - no so much because of the price itself but for what it would imply for the size of the install base and hence the degree of interest that developers would have in making games for it.

Daymos

Price isn't really a factor for me unless it got over $1,000. The reason I'm not buying a ps5 at launch is because it takes time to work the kinks out of a new piece of hardware and even more time to build a strong library of games.

It's just illogical to preorder a console and play it on day 1. I've done it many times in the past 30+ years and every single time it was a dumb idea. I've had everything thing from red rings of death, to a red tinted video output on my n64 to just plain horrible launch lineups for a year+ (on many consoles). There's just no reason to do it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom