• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Switch fails to turn on investors, surprises unannounced

JoeM86

Come on, Nintendo isn't the developer nor the Publisher. I don't think the games showed up on any Nintendo page or Promotion

Their involvement doesn't really suggest that this is a Nintendo game

It's as much a Nintendo game as Smash Bros. and any Pokémon game, maybe even more.

Also, GO Plus was exclusively sold on Nintendo's European stores

Also: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Smart-device/Pokemon-GO-1112517.html

Nintendo had a big hand in conceptual development of it. They also did the GO Plus device and development of it in conjunction with the game.

Forkball

..but if something leaks, what is a company supposed to do? Change the entire thing so close to release just to 'surprise' people?
I think they could at least clarify a lot of common questions. People are wondering if there's no touch screen and Nintendo responds with silence for the rest of the year? I can understand not showing off the price or launch line up at this time, but it should at least be clear about what it can and can't do.

Meatyhooks

Neo Member
The market can be an incredibly fickle thing. We saw the record breaking growth with this stock in the light of Pokémon Go, and then investors found out nintendo didn't develop in. It'll be interesting to see if we see an altered perception if pro order number are respectable.

TLZ

Banned
I thought I was done speculating and here's Nintendo leaving us waiting for their surprises next year.

giphy.gif

13ruce

Banned
Investors generally are not the brightest around, watch the stock rise after Mario Run launches lol.

The trailer clearly shows Nintendo learned from the mistakes of the Wii U. It's already nearing 10m views within a day. And people are talking about it even a friend of mine mentioned it being cool and he does not care about Nintendo most of the time.

There is no way that the Switch will sell less or the same amount as Wii U, if they keep this up and market it good it's gonna be a pretty good success for them, no Wii numbers ofcourse but still a good amount of sales.

JoeM86

It is fucking news if your next flagship product announcement causes a fall in shares as opposed to a rise in shares.
Is this opposite day?

Sony's stock dropped following the PS4 announcement.
Microsoft's stock dropped following the Xbox One announcement.

This is how the stock market is. Buy on rumour, sell on news.

Mosse

Neo Member
I think nintendo pleased many of the fans waiting for news and I'm interested in the switch. But for a new console reveal it was imo kind of bad. 3 min trailer with only old games exept a few seconds of mario (which I think looks good btw) and no more info until next year is not the best idea to showcase your next system.

I think a nintendo direct or a live conferance with more info about hardware and software features and new games would have been better. I can also see how investors could be off put by only showing late ports of games since nintendo is known for weak third party support.

Seik

Banned
Shares drop after an announcement.

Fucking newsflash.

Yeah,it's always like that.

It is fucking news if your next flagship product announcement causes a fall in shares as opposed to a rise in shares.
Is this opposite day?

Dude, ok, go check like all the shares after a console announcement, Sony took a dive after announcing the PS4 too. This actually means nothing.

TLZ

Banned
Now it just overtook Legend of Zelda BotW E3 trailer and it hasn't been 24 hours.

Shift views approx. 9.4 million

BotW views approx. 9.3 million

How many views did the WiiU have?

EDIT: Nm you can't see my posts.

Circinus

As expected. I don't think Nintendo Switch is going to perform significantly better than Wii U (may be better, but not significantly). And I think it's definitely going to do much worse than 3DS (despite being a much more appealing device to me, but 3DS is not a high bar obviously)

I think it will resonate much better with a wider range of core gamers than the Wii U, but that's still not a very large market.

Just announce a Pokemon Go port to it.

Im actually shocked by this. I've had no interest in Nintendo since the N64 days and this console/handheld looks amazing to me.

Erm why would investors care about a Pokémon Go Switch port when it's already on the platform that matters most (mobile)? Pokémon Go port on Switch would very likely generate less than 1% of the total Pokémon Go revenue.

Just because you have interest in Switch doesn't mean the whole mainstream gaming audience suddenly does.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
LOL @ people pretending they are smarter than the stock market. If you actually knew better, you would
be silently buying all this Nintendo stock at a discount, not whining on a message board.

The fact that the stock sank because of investor's "lack of surprise" and not having anything to do with how much media coverage this thing is getting across the board just shows how damn fickle, feeling heavy, and just plain stupid the stock market is...

It didn't set the media in flames indeed.

jelly

Investors probably just want Nintendo to go AAA 3rd party plus Nintendo games and unique features for mass appeal. Who wouldn't buy a PlayStation or Xbox that played Nintendo games. Sure, it might not work but that's what a lot of people want to see.

ggx2ac

Old games, huh? Is that what you call a remaster, new Mario Kart, new Splatoon, new Zelda, new Mario, etc.?

Splatoon and Mario Kart could be ports of the Wii U games with new content since it'd be easier selling that compared to making a new game from scratch.

Especially with how bad Wii U did hardware wise, there are plenty of people that have never played any Wii U games so I wouldn't be surprised to see the majority of Wii U games ported to the Switch just like how Wii U games like Yoshi's Wooly World is getting ported to 3DS.

FZZ

Banned
Views on YouTube do not equate to sales.

I agree withthe analyst in the OP that it needs to be under $300.

That doesn't mean anything at all.

It's a cool idea. It really is. But being a good idea doesn't mean that people will want to buy it.

What exactly is Switch? A console-handheld hybrid that's - judging by yesterday's footage - doesn't seem to be much more powerful than a Wii U? So, a weak console, but a powerful handheld? Is that interesting for a platform that, according to Nintendo, is first and foremost a home system?

What will it cost? It doesn't look cheap. 250$? 300$? So, it'll be above the 199$ that's been established as the highest price a handheld should be sold for. Looking at it as a console, it would be roughly on par pricewise with a PS4 - maybe slightly cheaper or even more expensive - while offering less power and less games.

So, in order for someone to buy a switch over another platform, they either need to like premium handhelds (which is, as we know, a relatively small audience) or people who are really convinced by its hybrid concept.

But similar to the Wii U and its Off TV feature one question remains: How many people actually want to switch their game to a handheld device? Particularly in the west, playing big games on the go isn't really popular. And even if you like the idea to continue playing on a handheld when need be, the question is if people are satisfied with less hardware power for a feature they might only use every so often.

So, I don't know. If it's not cheaper than expected or doesn't yet have some pretty interesting features or a surprisingly great line up of games, I imagine this to he a hard sell.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

this really means very little these days

how much money has the number 1 trend on youtube made Nintendo today?

think a few of you have misread hype on neogaf for the real world

If only that transitioned into actual sales....

Will be beaten by a baby panda vid next week.

Got a number on unique views?

Y'all looking at this in the wrong way lol

ofc it doesn't translate into sales, but it translates into hella exposure figuring out target markets and getting as much feedback from potential consumers as possible.

In addition Nintendo's social media avenues have greatly benefited from this as well, before the video Nintendo's sub count was at 1.8 mil now its at 1.94 mil and about to hit 2 million subs.

Views don't mean sales, but exposure and getting eyes on your brand and figuring out what people want is something companies spend millions to find out. People are talking about Nintendo again, even if it is only temporary. It's on Nintendo now to either maintain the interest or at least learn from it.

Paracelsus

They know what an underperforming machine means regarding third party support. It was true for Wii, the Wii U, if NX isn't as powerful as og XB1 at the absolute least it won't escape that same fate
in before Wii got amazing (sloppy seconds shovelware) support
. They are waiting to be told whether the NX factually kills the portable entry of Nintendo consoles, taking all of its support.

N30RYU

Gold Member
At this point the only thing I want from nintendo is a Zelda WiiU release date to play it and burn anything nintendo related.

So it failed to turn me on too

Phamit

It's as much a Nintendo game as Smash Bros. and any Pokémon game, maybe even more.

Also, GO Plus was exclusively sold on Nintendo's European stores

Also: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Smart-device/Pokemon-GO-1112517.html

Nintendo had a big hand in conceptual development of it. They also did the GO Plus device and development of it in conjunction with the game.

They made sure to tell everyone the exact opposite and even the Page you linked has a big fat The Pokemon Company on top, unlike other Pokemon games

Edit: Nothing screamed Nintendo game before and after the game launched. I don't know where you have your Information, but nothing suggested Nintendo would get more than their little cut from owning 32% of the Pokemon company

Depending on price, I don't see the Switch doing well in the West beyond selling to the people who are already Nintendo buyers. It's cool as a high powered handheld, but the console element is probably the weak part of its design. All of its appeal lies in its portability, and it's not even that portable considering its size. We don't know any specs, but it's probably going to be about on par with the Wii U, if not slightly stronger, due to the portable nature.

Saying that I commend them for trying to appeal more to the hardcore market with stuff like Skyrim and offering portable versions of traditional, non-Nintendo games, with full controller support. Personally, I'm not sure the console will be for me, because I actually despise Nintendo games beyond Smash Bros, but depending on what games get announced I will be paying attention just in case they have something that does appeal.

Personal estimate on life time sales: 45 million units. Significantly more than Wii U, due to less novel appeal and potential stronger focus on third parties, but less than 3DS due to tablet competition, lack of portability options, and leaving room for any unforeseen inevitable fuck ups that Nintendo are prone to.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
They are waiting to be told whetherr the NX factually kills the portable entry of Nintendo consoles, taking all of its support.

I think this is key. If Switch is meant to be the successor to 3DS, its failure could destroy the one market that Nintendo is still strong in.

maxcriden

What makes you think it's even possible for it to be under 300 dollars without a loss? Did I miss something?

Well, there was the MCV rumor it'd be shockingly cheap, but I don't know what their track record with rumors is. And I believe Nintendo previously strongly hinted they planned for NX to be affordable. But, I dont know what the tech inside costs, so I'm just basing assumptions or possibilities on that.

nynt9

Doubt it.

This is how the stock market is. Buy on rumour, sell on news.

For a portable, the hardware is anything but weak. Just because it's not PS4 Pro level doesn't mean it's weak. Come the hell on.

It may not be weak for a portable, but Nintendo said it's intended as a home console, and in the west that will likely be its primary usage scenario, so by those standards it might be considered weak.

Matbtz

We are talking about investors who bought Nintendo shares thinking Pokemon Go was a Nintendo game so it's perfectly normal : they don't know anything about gaming.
The potential buyers reaction is the real factor here.

goldenpp72

Well, there was the MCV rumor it'd be shockingly cheap, but I don't know what their track record with rumors is. And I believe Nintendo previously strongly hinted they planned for NX to be affordable. But, I dont know what the tech inside costs, so I'm just basing assumptions or possibilities on that.

I mean, people are claiming it will be anywhere from half as strong to 'comparable' to an Xbox one, obviously this might be false, but if not, how would someone expect Nintendo to shove something like that into that tiny form factor while keeping it LESS than the cost of an Xbox one right now?

If the thing is really weak (2x Wii U, etc) then sure, 200-250 would be more practical but that would be a big bummer.

JoeM86

They made sure to tell everyone the exact opposite and even the Page you linked has a big fat The Pokemon Company on top, unlike other Pokemon games

Edit: Nothing screamed Nintendo game before and after the game launched. I don't know where you have your Information, but nothing suggested Nintendo would get more than their little cut from owning 32% of the Pokemon company

People assumed they'd be getting a crapload of money directly but they aren't. That's what they shut down.

It may not be weak for a portable, but Nintendo said it's intended as a home console, and in the west that will likely be its primary usage scenario, so by those standards it might be considered weak.

Can we get actual information before spreading around that it's "weak" please?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

There was a rumor several months before the leak that came out of nowhere and said the same thing.

Rappy

People assumed they'd be getting a crapload of money directly but they aren't. That's what they shut down.

Can we get actual information before spreading around that it's "weak" please?
And that's the whole point about it not being a Nintendo game. What the investors thought about it and how they're not always the brightest bunch. The point is that it's not a Nintendo game in the sense of a self published and in-house developed Nintendo game.

It's going to be weak in comparison to the other home consoles. But people shouldn't be doing that if they're trying to present issues as if it is only a home console or that it is only a handheld.

Not really surprising. While it looks like it could be a fine console, I have a hard time seeing the appeal to a broad market. Investors want Wii numbers, this is probably primarily going to sell to the classic Nintendo fans.

You mean the broad market is not millennial hipsters living in lavish condos?

Oersted

Come on, Nintendo isn't the developer nor the Publisher. I don't think the games showed up on any Nintendo page or Promotion

Their involvement doesn't really suggest that this is a Nintendo game

When I go right on the Nintendo page it asks me to download Pokemon Go

Triteon

This bumbs me out. Its the first time In a long goddamned time I've cared about Nintendo hardware, I preordered the thing while I was picking up BF1 today,

Top Bottom