• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1X 4K standard includes checkerboard and dynamic

reKon

Banned
I honestly don't think I could tell the difference between quality of 4K. What matters more to me is frame rate and 4K at 60 FPS isn't going to be a thing with the big games for the Xbox One X.

To me the strength of the Xbox One X doesn't have much to do with power advantages. To me it's the backwards compatibility across 3 generations, the console size/aesthetics, the 4K blu-ray player, and Xbox Live that are the main appeals.

GHG

MS hasn't said a misleading thing about the platform. "Arrogant"? Yep pretty clear what your thoughts are on competition.

What's this then?:

Phil Spencer said:
When I think about techniques to somehow manufacture a 4K screen like what some other consoles try to do, this is different than that.

Can you explain to be how that statement isn't misleading based on the facts presented in the OP?

"You realize you will see every game in 1080p- I mean 4k as your output right?"

ciwqsbg14oivl2g2s.jpg

Remember Phil Harrison in 2005?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/news131205harrison

Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios president Phil Harrison has claimed that Microsoft's Xbox 360 "doesn't have true HD functionality," saying that consumers seeking a HD experience will have to wait for the PS3 to arrive.

Speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz this week, in an interview to be published tomorrow, Harrison described the Xbox 360 as "a lot better than their [Microsoft's] first introduction to the console business," but questioned the console's claim to being a High Definition device.

"The true definition of HD is the three elements of the HD value chain - the display, the content and the hardware to play back that content," he explained, "and PlayStation and Sony is the only organisation that has all three bits of the value chain together."

Third party games usually looked better on X360, and key titles literally rendered in higher resolution on 360, but according to Sony they weren't HD because they weren't on the PS3.

The more the industry changes, the more it stays the same.

Digital Foundry threads are going to be reminiscent of years ago.

With the same assets, it's about the difference from 900p to 1080p, IMO. Once you start using higher res textures plus adding extra effects, I think the difference will actually be greater than XB1 to PS4, though.

Nah I don't think so, 900p on a 4k or even 1080p screen looks very blurry due to lower than native resolution that doesn't scale well. I'd say it will probably be more like 1600p vs 4k, depending on the algorithm. And if the games keep looking a lot better (Horizon, GoW, GT Sport) at that point that resolution difference is not really that important.

Fliesen

And they describe clearly on their website what that designation means? How is that arrogant lol.

Again, it's about the context that Phil Spencer calls their box a "true" 4k console, while the PS4 Pro is supposedly "competing with the Xbox One S".
While they're both in the same exact position - not with regards to raw horsepower, but with regards to their "trueness" of 4k rendering - i.e. 'not all the time'.

reKon

Banned
Grats MS, you built a console for the guy/girl who cares about AC Origins running at 2160c instead of 1800c on PS4 Pro.

Certainly there's $100 of difference there....

You're barely trying here. See my post for some of the other differences. In the end, the games matter the most, but you're being naive saying there's no other difference.

Can you explain to be how that statement isn't misleading based on the facts presented in the OP?

Because the One X was designed to allow developers to make native 4k games while the Ps4 Pro was designed to allow for checkerboard 4k games as stated by both companies who designed and marketed them. It's really not difficult to understand unless you try to interpret everything in the worst possible way.

nynt9

Again, it's about the context that Phil Spencer calls their box a "true" 4k console, while the PS4 Pro is supposedly "competing with the Xbox One S".
While they're both in the same exact position - not with regards to raw horsepower, but with regards to their "trueness" of 4k rendering - i.e. 'not all the time'

Indeed. That comment was just so bizarre. Their box is significantly stronger, why not focus on that instead of making silly comparisons that are certain to blow up in their face?

Remember Phil Harrison in 2005?

Yeah, only Phil Harrison left Sony 9 years ago.

Aaron Greenberg is still MS's main marketing guy.

Also, one was beautified PR speak to make themselves look more attractive without really saying anything concrete while the other one is lying openly to get around facts like resolution.

MilkyJoe

From their own site:

https://news.xbox.com/2017/06/11/new-packaging-icons-xbox/

4kv1u1b.jpg

Despite their claims about "true 4K" and thus not competing with the pro, they're using the same techniques.

The Assassin's Creed Origins director confirms here that the game will be dynamic 4k on XB1X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtllzLCt1WY

Edit: there seems to be some confusion. Yes, this is old news for some but clearly new to others going by posts in this thread. Also, this thread is a reaction to Spencer's comments from recent interviews, as explained here:

For the record, I don't think there's anything wrong with checkerboarding or even dynamic 4K. I think they're fine techniques. I also think a "native 4k mandate for all games" would be a bad idea anyway.

Are you going to take your ball home with you too?

Native 4K is a marketing/legacy trap for devs. The power needed to go from checkerboarded 4K to native 4K would be better used for other parts of the game. Unfortunately, marketing will push for it because it is easier to sell, and devs can't do too much else anyway because their games still have to run on the base console. Resolution is easy to scale between hardware with different capabilities.

GHG

And they describe clearly on their website what that designation means? How is that arrogant lol.

It's misleading. It seems that some companies think they can get away with saying anything as long as they asterisk it these days.

In marketing it's best practice to not use an asterisk unless it's absolutely necessary, especially if the information provided in the annotation contradicts the information provided above.

The vast majority of consumers do not read the asterisk and hence their only takeaway will be the initial bold statement.

Because the One X was designed to allow developers to make native 4k games while the Ps4 Pro was designed to allow for checkerboard 4k games as stated by both companies who designed and marketed them. It's really not difficult to understand unless you try to interpret everything in the worst possible way.

This isn't about what the consoles were designed for, it's about how they are being marketed to the public. He is saying one thing but the reality paints a very different picture, as usual. But hey, it seems to be working so brownie points.

Nah I don't think so, 900p on a 4k or even 1080p screen looks very blurry due to lower than native resolution that doesn't scale well. I'd say it will probably be more like 1600p vs 4k, depending on the algorithm. And if the games keep looking a lot better (Horizon, GoW, GT Sport) at that point that resolution difference is not really that important.

I mean... it's just an opinion, but I've seen games running at checkerboard resolutions with 1080p assets compared to 4K resolution with 4K assets, and it's pretty major to me. It looks much bigger than 900p to 1080p.

Also, what EvB said.

Checkerboard and Dynamic resolution are different things.

Get that.

Do you think third parties are likely to leverage entirely different rendering techniques for each console?

If those people paid extra to get a 4K TV, maybe they do care about resolution.

That's not what I said.

First, from the DF write up on PS4 Pro, talking about native 4K versus 1800c, then scaled up to 2160p

The comparison really is remarkable - I stood one foot away from a 65-inch Sony ZD9 display and the quality still held up. Checkerboard is a touch softer, but I'd be willing to bet that most wouldn't be able to tell.

So now that we've established it's "difficult" (i'm being generous there) to tell the diff between 1800c and native 4K, let alone 1800c and 2160c (which is what I said in my initial post), the argument isn't that people "care about resolution," it's that the HW MS has created won't likely create meaningful differences in third party titles.

flkraven

Again, it's about the context that Phil Spencer calls their box to a "true" 4k console, while the PS4 Pro is "competing with the Xbox One S".
While they're both in the same exact position - not with regards to raw horsepower, but with regards to their "trueness" of 4k rendering - i.e. 'not all the time'

But jeez, we are splitting hairs here and dissecting Phil's marketing speak. The Xbox One X is literally more powerful than the Pro, so it will without question be able to hit 'true' 4K more often than the Pro will. However, since there is no mandate, developers can do whatever the fuck they want (and if they choose sub 4K they will). Sitting here trying to define what 'trueness' means in Phil's eyes is a fool's errand. 6 teraflops is greater than 4 teraflops by quite a bit, so it should conceivably have the ability to hit that target far more often.

vpance

I thought 4K Ultra HD was native. Or assumed that at least.

Huh, guess I should have known better.

No they are basically doing the same thing the movie industry is. Movies are shot and film is scanned in all sorts of ways at a variety of resolutions. And they do vaseline effects too 😁

nynt9

I mean... it's just an opinion, but I've seen games running at checkerboard resolutions with 1080p assets compared to 4K resolution with 4K assets, and it's pretty major to me. It looks much bigger than 900p to 1080p.

Also, what EvB said.

I mean... The 900p vs 1080p part of your post was explicitly comparing with the same assets so this response doesn't counter the post you're quoting. With same assets, checkerboard 4k vs native 4k should be smaller than 900p vs 1080p.

That being said, the X1X should be able to push better assets. That's right. But I don't agree with the first part of your previous post.

EvB

Get that.

Do you think third parties are likely to leverage entirely different rendering techniques for each console?

I'd say so , given that checkerboard rendering has a very specific implementation on PS4 Pro which none of the other consoles can use.

platocplx

But jeez, we are splitting hairs here and dissecting Phil's marketing speak. The Xbox One X is literally more powerful than the Pro, so it will without question be able to hit 'true' 4K more often than the Pro will. However, since there is no mandate, developers can do whatever the fuck they want (and if they choose sub 4K they will). Sitting here trying to define what 'trueness' means in Phil's eyes is a fool's errand. 6 teraflops is greater than 4 teraflops by quite a bit, so it should conceivably have the ability to hit that target far more often.

Its still not a true 4k system.(his words) regardless of what you are trying to spin back in his favor. Its false. He is making it seem like its native 4k when literally it may just get a few more games native than the pro but still needs techniques to allow for other games to reach that output like the pro. Splitting hairs is over exaggerating its capabilities to people.

recursive

Dude, we knew this before....

I am not quite sure what the agenda is here.

No need to be so sensitive. The OP is highlighting misrepresentation of information that could easily be overlooked by only viewing MS marketing material claiming the X is the only true 4k console.

Tripolygon

Banned
Doesnt answer my question though :\
To my knowledge there isn't a dedicated upscaler but the hardware has a lot of extra power to be able to handle that.
There are specific hardwares in PS4 Pro GPU designed specifically to aid developers to use checkerboard rendering at minimal cost. And no it isn't a one size fits all solution, devs are allowed to implement their own solutions as well.

Leyasu

Banned
Dude, we knew this before....

I am not quite sure what the agenda is here.

Lol indeed.

Many seems to be under the impression that all X games will be native 4K especially after Phil's comments.

They have already stated plenty that it is to the devs.

At least they are getting that out in the open right now, so there can be less faux outrage when everyone conveniently forgets this was already said.
They said this was going to be the case for when games were 720p on Xbone (or maybe 900p)

No lies detected

Carn82

RE: texture quality
I'll just leave this here...

rottr_ps4propc_3.jpg

whats your point? This will pretty much differ per game. I'm sure that there will be X1X games that have lesser quality textures than the game running on a PC with 'high / ultra' settings. And vice versa.

Also, what EvB said.

Okay, first, people really need to start saying what do they mean with "4k assets". Is it higher resolution textures, better SSAO? Because polycounts and draw distances are not going to be a thing.

Second, if we're going to be talking textures now:

Are these "4k assets" or XB1 assets at 4k?

Fliesen

Well, Phil goes out of his way to make up a very distinct line as to where "trueness" lies. namely above what the Pro can do. So it's fair to discuss whether or not that line he drew is reasonable or meaningful.

Beyond that, i agree with you. The Xbox One X is the better console - the most powerful console on the market for the next few years, and multiplats are going to look and run better on it. I'm just somewhat baffled Microsoft feels the need to consider themselves "first across the finish line" - why aren't they content with "most powerful"? Why did they need to create a specific category for themselves, in which they could say "first!". Being first has no inherent value. You need to sell people on why the extra performance on your console is worth those 100-150 bucks (i'm still thinking that the Pro is going to receive a price drop before the One X)

This thread got into embarrassing territory pretty quickly. So glad Microsoft is not constraining developers with arbitrary mandates about game performance.

horkrux

I find it rather silly that instead of being happy to have the currently most powerful console on the market, they're drawing these arbitrary lines of where one console is any more 'true' than another.
It's like when 2 kids are racing one another, one kid determining 'and HERE is the finish line, i win' just as it overtook the other.

I can't blame them tbh. Now that we have checkerboarding, you can use the word 4K, even when you're really only hitting (pseudo-)1800p with that. Whether you can actually notice the difference is another story, but the gap to native 4K is simply one of the few selling points they have and want to emphasize.

I don't think dynamic res goes against 'true 4K' - it's a conscious and smart decision to prioritze framerate when necessary, but you are actually hitting that 4K. If you hit it more often than not, then I think that would still be in line with that slogan.

Grats MS, you built a console for the guy/girl who cares about AC Origins running at 2160c instead of 1800c on PS4 Pro.

Certainly there's $100 of difference there....

If that's what they are actually doing in AC: Origins, I wouldn't call that true 4K either.

nynt9

There are specific hardwares in PS4 Pro GPU designed specifically to aid developers to use checkerboard rendering at minimal cost. And no it isn't a one size fits all solution, devs are allowed to implement their own solutions as well.

I know the PS4P has dedicated hardware. I was referring to the X1X.

EvB

The same game Digital Foundary were impressed with on the Pro during a side by side comparison ?

Of course they were impressed by it, it's a beautiful step up from the PS4 version due to it being one of the first examples of 4K checkerboard rendering on the system.

However they highlighted this as a downside of the PS4 Pro not having enough overhead to deal with other improvements.

Digital Foundry said:
It's equally clear that the PC version of Rise of the Tomb Raider's very high texture preset offers a significantly higher level of quality on the core artwork. Cherry-pick key scenes from the mere two minutes of 4K footage released by the developer and it looks like a night and day difference when stacked up against the fully enabled PC version. Even if you watch our comparison video at 1080p resolution rather than the native 4K, it definitely stands out.

On the one hand, this highlights a fundamental weakness with PlayStation 4 Pro. Even though developers have access to another 512MB of RAM (presumably swiped for the vast 3GB system reservation), it's not enough to accommodate the 4K texture options that developers are increasingly offering with their titles. So in the case of Rise of the Tomb Raider then, it's no surprise that the PS4 Pro version offers assets in line with the existing Xbox One game, equivalent to the high texture quality setting on the PC build. It's a definite limitation - especially as Project Scorpio from Microsoft seems set to feature 12GB of memory

The point is, we can argue over 4k vs Checkerboarding til we are blue in the face, but due to the PS4 Pros limitations, we will start to see images just like the one above, but instead of PS4 and PC, it will be PS4 Pro and Xbox One X side by side.

AmyS

I would love to see demos from several different developers showing what Xbox One X is capable of in terms of graphics fidelity / detail and lighting when the pixel count is limited to merely; HD 1280 x 720p.

Imagine all its graphics performance, memory bandwidth etc put towards the above. Show us something surpassing Toy Story in real time.

Top Bottom