• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1X 4K standard includes checkerboard and dynamic

shandy706

But if AC Origins isn't native 4K, what differences are there going to be at all between X and Pro?

Better framerates, faster loading, better AF, higher quality textures, better AA, higher "graphics settings", etc.

Pretty simple question to answer.

Everything will be up to the developers to hit their targets anyway.

Fliesen

I don't think dynamic res goes against 'true 4K' - it's a conscious and smart decision to prioritze framerate when necessary, but you are actually hitting that 4K. If you hit it more often than not, then I think that would still be in line with that slogan.

i actually very much agree with this. Unlike checkerboarding, dynamic 2160p simply means that instead of 'slowdowns' we get 'resdowns' ... Usually these happen in very busy moments within the game, with plenty of shit happening on the screen. Which is pretty much exactly the time where we'd notice a lower rendering resolution the least.

So a game that runs at dynamic 2160p most of the time - to me - is still very close to a native 2160p. - it's even preferrable if a compareable native 4k game didn't have a firmly locked frame rate.

Remember Phil Harrison in 2005?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/news131205harrison

Third party games usually looked better on X360, and key titles literally rendered in higher resolution on 360, but according to Sony they weren't HD because they weren't on the PS3.

The more the industry changes, the more it stays the same.

Digital Foundry threads are going to be reminiscent of years ago.

To be fair at launch the 360 only supported ypbpr? But 720p, maybe 1080 interlaced? The ps3 launched with HDMI so could do 1080p off the bat so he's not wrong essentially. The 360 was technically under the marketing bracket of HD ready.

Magnus

People keep saying "no shit", but I don't see how using the term "true 4K" isn't deceptive to the common consumer at all. It confused me because I assumed that it meant native 4K instead of checkboarding. I don't follow all this shit like you all do and you might think shit like this is common knowledge to people, but it's really not.

That is more confusing than the term "console launch exclusive". Why do they do shit like this?

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Friends and I got a bit spun by all the True 4K PR the last few days and didn't know for sure if there were dynamic/checkboard techniques in play or if it was all truly native 4K from here on for new X1 titles on the X1X.

This is absolutely warranted clarification - so thanks OP. Can't believe people screaming that this thread/news is 'console warrior BS'. Come on guys. It's just clarifying things for people during a typically confusing time of year in this industry where conflicting info is often tossed around.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
How has this turned into a console war and specs battle...

This is the point of the thread:

I think the issue comes from Phil spinning the BS about how the Pro isn't in competition with the X as it's not got the power for True (Native) 4K when we all know full well it does and has done so on various games. Same situation applies over both machines, developers choose how they use the power available. There is no doubting the XBX is the more powerful of the two machines, but the crap Phil spouts about it not being true 4K surely then applies to his own machine if it's using other techniques to get there sometimes?

People keep saying "no shit", but I don't see how using the term "true 4K" isn't deceptive to the common consumer at all. It confused me because I assumed that it meant native 4K instead of checkboarding. I don't follow all this shit like you all do and you might think shit like this is common knowledge to people, but it's really not.

That is more confusing than the term "console launch exclusive". Why do they do shit like this?

In the case of that game, probably higher quality effects like shadow/draw distance/AF and possibly the dynamic 4K sticking to full 4K more often than the pro.

Hmmmm i see.

Guess having such a game at native 4K was too good to be true but if we are to believe DF the difference between Checkerboard 4k and Native is incredibly hard to tell. So with that in mind it's nothing but a good thing MS isn't mandating anything on developers. Would have been pretty damn shitty if they did too.

So i bet this means C4K for Anthem as well. Did we have any Native 4K games during the Xbox show?

Better framerates, faster loading, better AF, higher quality textures, better AA, higher "graphics settings", etc.

Pretty simple question to answer.

Everything will be up to the developers to hit their targets anyway.

Yeah my bad. Looking back on it it was a pretty obvious thing, haha.

But in the end it's only a good thing, if the difference between C4K and Native is that small, go for it and spend all that other power on things that really matter as well.

True 4k isn't 4k native. So Pro is true 4k?

Phil said all 1st party would be native 4k but freedom for 3rd party. Freedom is good

Skilletor

Listening to MS' pitch about the console, I thought every game would be native 4k. I didn't know it would use techniques like the Pro to get there.

MS is being incredibly deceptive in their talk about this console.

Sorry guys but the resolution hasn't been finalized yet. Spoke to a designer last night and the engine is dynamic. Doesn't mean that X1X won't be native. They are going to do everything they can to be native 4k.

You're barely trying here. See my post for some of the other differences. In the end, the games matter the most, but you're being naive saying there's no other difference.

Idk what post you're referring to.

At the end of the day, if no one is doing "true 4K" on the majority of titles (and on top of that, per DF, it's almost imperceptible when you get close with checkerboarding), what are people spending their money on? different flavors of "not really 4K" that look very similar?

Seems like a bad marketing move.

I'd say so , given that checkerboard rendering has a very specific implementation on PS4 Pro which none of the other consoles can use.

I don't know if that's true one way or the other (not sure if you have an article somewhere that says "no other consoles can use this technique), I'm guessing the results are very similar.

If that's what they are actually doing in AC: Origins, I wouldn't call that true 4K either.

And I'm not pretending to know whether they are or aren't, i'm merely illustrating that we are soooo far past splitting hairs on these techniques that, again, if MS' go to line is gonna continue to be "True 4K" when there is minimal perceptible difference, then they're in trouble.

To be fair at launch the 360 only supported ypbpr? But 720p, maybe 1080 interlaced? The ps3 launched with HDMI so could do 1080p off the bat so he's not wrong essentially. The 360 was technically under the marketing bracket of HD ready.

No need to justify it. It's the same corporate double speak. Both companies have done it.

BTW, the 360 was just as much an HD console as the PS3. There was no technically anything. You can also send 1080p over component video. Nothing is stopping it aside from the tvs not supporting it because of worries over copy protection. Aside from a single cable solution why do you think HDMI was invented?

MS always said it depends on the developer. I don't agree with a lot they are doing right now.

But this thread is RT reporting embarassing.

GHG

MS always said it depends on the developer. I don't agree with a lot they are doing right now.

This thread isn't about developers or what they are/aren't allowed to do.

It's about Microsoft's marketing methodologies and understanding what "4K" really means whenever you see it on their marketing going forwards.

nynt9

It's about Microsoft's marketing methodologies and understanding what "4K" really means whenever you see it on their marketing going forwards.

That, plus Phil's comment about the PS4 Pro being considered an X1S competitor instead of an X1X competitor because X1X does "true 4k" whereas pro doesn't, according to him.

It's about Microsoft's marketing methodologies and understanding what "4K" means whenever you see it on their marketing going forwards.

Yes their marketing is comedy levels of bad, but they didn't go out and deceive people like suggested in this thread.

Their adverts won't be free from asterisk just like the PS4Pro adverts.

Nerix

Lots of people getting really god damn defensive here

Microsoft says the difference between this and the pro is TRUE 4k gaming

They say they're the first only console to enable true 4k gaming

"Well actually we're doing checkerboarding and dynamic scaling" is not contradicting the statement that devs can use the power however they want, but it's doing the exact same shit as the ps4 pro, and making the first 2 statements plus other shit spencer has said not true.
Basically, this. But it doesn't really matter, does it?

EvB

I don't know if that's true one way or the other (not sure if you have an article somewhere that says "no other consoles can use this technique), I'm guessing the results are very similar.

The PS4 Pro has its own hardware to let Sony's implementation of checkerboard rendering happen.

It's more likely that a multi platform developer would go for a singular resolution solution that was built in from the start, rather than having signficantly different implementations across 5+ pieces of hardware.
With all the variants they are going to want their solutions to be as scaleable as possible.

Justified

If "True 4K" is the ability to run games in native 4K. The MS and Phil are lying about being the only native 4K capable console

Basically, this. But it doesn't really matter, does it?

In the context of this thread yes...since this is what the discussion is about

cakely

I'm surprised this thread ended up being so controversial. The first few pages are filled with thread whining, that's frowned upon here.

Trup1aya

From their own site:

https://news.xbox.com/2017/06/11/new-packaging-icons-xbox/

4kv1u1b.jpg

Despite their claims about "true 4K" and thus not competing with the pro, they're using the same techniques.

The Assassin's Creed Origins director confirms here that the game will be dynamic 4k on XB1X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtllzLCt1WY

Edit: there seems to be some confusion. Yes, this is old news for some but clearly new to others going by posts in this thread. Also, this thread is a reaction to Spencer's comments from recent interviews, as explained here:

For the record, I don't think there's anything wrong with checkerboarding or even dynamic 4K. I think they're fine techniques. I also think a "native 4k mandate for all games" would be a bad idea anyway.

Good. Obviously different games are going to put different amount of strains on the GPU. If anyone thought the xbox1 would run any game on any settings at native 4K they weren't thinking logically. That physically doesn't make any sense. No matter how powerful a system is, someone can make a game to push it limits.

Having checkerboard and dynamic solutions in the API is the way to go. Hopefully devs allow users to choose some of those other solutions in exchange for higher settings. That's what I would do as a guy with a 1080p tv.

borges

Banned
A "lets downplay xbox x" thread created by someone that 99% of its Xbox related messages have a negative connotation, shocking!

Peltz

You can do 1080p over component.

GHG

Yes their marketing is comedy levels of bad, but they didn't go out and deceive people like suggested in this thread.

Their adverts won't be free from asterisk just like the PS4Pro adverts.

Based on the information in the OP, Phil Spencer has already come out with some deceptive statements in the last couple of days, that's been covered in this thread already.

For the bolded: Yes, most companies do it these days, but why is it not worth highlighting so that we can understand what these things really mean as consumers?

Or is it better to be ignorant and live in a world where marketing and the media can shape perceptions under false pretences?

Sony pulled a douchebag move with Minecraft followed by a mediocre E3 showing.

There's all lot of fustration that needs to be released as this thread and the multiple Phil Spencer threads are showing us.
Funny enough this reads as the most fanboy shit in this thread 😂

Dlacy13g

Why would it not include these techniques? Do devs making PC only games not look at these techniques as possible solutions too?

The PS4 Pro has its own hardware to let Sony's implementation of checkerboard rendering happen.

It's more likely that a multi platform developer would go for a singular resolution solution that was built in from the start, rather than having signficantly different implementations across 5+ pieces of hardware.
With all the variants they are going to want their solutions to be as scaleable as possible.

100% agree.

I guess the jury will be out on how homogeneous the results are until we see actual One X titles running side by side with pro. My guess though, is they're likely to be more similar than less.

E: And for the record, I'm simply far more fascinated with the business side of how they decided to position One X. It just seems to be going for a far too narrow slice of the market.

To the point made earlier, this would be different if the games situation was different, but it isn't, unfortunately...

Luckydog

No matter how you try to spin it, this thread is nothing of the sort. The OP is a BS "GOTCHA" moment where one doesn't exist. No amount of you "keeping it real" in yet another Xbox thread derails the point that MS never said every game would be true 4K. MS is targeting true 4K, the box is built to handle 4K visuals, not just barely touch them like the pro, and that the devs will always have the final say on what they want to do.

Funny story. My (Sony) HDTV at the time of PS3 launch could only play (most) PS3 games in 480p because the PS3 didn't have a scaler that could turn 720p to 1080i like the 360 did. Most early HDTVs could only accept 480i, 480p, and 1080i.

FWIW the broadcast industry defined HD as 720p and 1080i and then later 1080p. Sony was trying to rewrite reality and claim that only a system with 1080p output should be considered HD. Then said system was often running 600p games. It was laughworthy.

Huh so we know Microsoft will not mandate publisher to push native 4k.
So why is Microsoft in the bad, if Ubisoft chooses dynamic resolution?

If Halo 6 is dynamic 4k i would rage.

Kyuur

No matter how you try to spin it, this thread is nothing of the sort. The OP is a BS "GOTCHA" moment where one doesn't exist. No amount of you "keeping it real" in yet another Xbox thread derails the point that MS never said every game would be true 4K. MS is targeting true 4K, the box is built to handle 4K visuals, not just barely touch them like the pro, and that the devs will always have the final say on what they want to do.

If you take the OP that way you might have a victim complex. The OP was nothing but informative, down to the incredibly neutral title (which could have easily been "XB1X 4K games won't actually be 4K" or some other equally inflammatory title if the that was the OP's intent).

RoKKeR

The marketing spin on this 4K stuff is all dumb. Phil's comment about this being the only true 4K console is dumb. This label is dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

I mean I'm still getting one, but this is classic Microsoft.

Top Bottom