• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

Feels like there will never be a free game with gold that is over 15 GB in size. I think so far every single free game with gold for either the 360 or the xb1 has been under that size. So we'll probably never see ryse or anything of that sort.

Chris1

Sunset Overdrive, DR3, Ryse & AC4 have had price drops to $39 MSRP, if the $39 is still a thing for the XB1 we could see them on GWG this year maybe.

Ryse, DR3, SO, AC4, Thief, Titanfall, Sniper Elite 3, Screamride, NBA 15, Don Bradman Cricket, Trials Fusion, Fantasia, Metro 2033/Metro LL, Lego Videogame, TR DE, PvZ, BF4, AC4, NFS Rivals, Lego Superheroes, MGS: GZ

That's 21 retail games below $40 now unless i'm missing some, I wonder if they'll up the GWG's at E3 to 1 retail/1 indie per month.
I'm setting myself up for disappointment, aren't I? :(

I've been having problems getting all the games both this month and last, until I discovered a little trick that seems to force it. Clear your cache, delete the partial game download from the list of your saves on the drive, and then start it again. The trick comes in turning the Xbox off after you start it. It seems the combination of the cleared cache, a fresh download, and having the console off will work. For whatever bizarre reason.

I've tried omitting certain steps and the failure still reared its head. But these particular steps do. I don't know if it's because my Xbox is old and dying or this legitimately solves an issue that prevents the download normally, but either way these steps have worked every single time without fail.

FyreWulff

Chris1

I just bought the 360 games on the web store no problems, even army of two went through fine.

UK here, maybe it's a regional problem? Though AoT has been removed from the GWG promotional page here too, but I didn't have any errors occur when purchasing it.

Akai__

Army of Two is now showing a -1, where normally the price would be. Will MS pay me 1$, if I "buy" the game? lol

Still can't download it, though. The confirmation page on the Xbox 360 opens and closes in a second and the Xbox.com page still gives me an error code.

jester

Neo Member
So I have a couple of Xbox Live 1-year cards, but no Xbox 360 or Xbox One. I wanted to know if it is possible to create an Xbox Live account, redeem the Xbox Live cards, and "purchase" the Games with Gold from a web browser (without a console) in case I ever do get an Xbox console in the future?

So I have a couple of Xbox Live 1-year cards, but no Xbox 360 or Xbox One. I wanted to know if it is possible to create an Xbox Live account, redeem the Xbox Live cards, and "purchase" the Games with Gold from a web browser (without a console) in case I ever do get an Xbox console in the future?

Yes.

One problem you may face is region-locked games on the Xbox 360, which require you to log in on an actual console at least once. The Xbox One doesn't have region-locking, so it isn't an issue.

I think the trend has been last Thursday of the month.

That would be the day before, which isnt necessarily unlikely but I think they've announced them a little earlier in more recent times.

I wonder/hope we will get two new games on Xbox One next month too although I wont hold my breath.

I'm actually really enjoying Gears Judgment. I don't know if it's just because I really wanted to play another Gears game, or if it's because it's a genuinely good game. Either way, I like the short challenge type storyline.

Chris1

Me too. I've heard that Shovel Knight will supposedly drop on the 29th, though, so it probably won't be that. :(

I wouldn't go off release dates, sometimes games have released early or even later than the 1st on XB1 and they've just made it free from the minute it's on the marketplace. It's not exactly set in stone as the 1st of the month on XB1, especially for new releases.

Back to one game a month this month, yeah?

It'll probably be a ID@ game. Not sure what it could be though. What's in the pipeline?

Back in March the Lifeless Planet developer hinted it could be on GwG and its not released yet so Im not sure whats happened with it. I'd be happy with that as I'm looking forward to it but... who knows. We'll find out soon enough

I wouldn't go off release dates, sometimes games have released early or even later than the 1st on XB1 and they've just made it free from the minute it's on the marketplace. It's not exactly set in stone as the 1st of the month on XB1, especially for new releases.

Guacamelee, Chariot, Volgarr, IDARB and Pool Nation all launched on GwG and all came out on the first of the month. It will not be Shovel Knight unless they move it back a few days and they do not launch "earlier or later", it starts on the first.

Volgarr had the button pressed a day early by accident iirc but it wasn't the plan

Back in March the Lifeless Planet developer hinted it could be on GwG and its not released yet so Im not sure whats happened with it. I'd be happy with that as I'm looking forward to it but... who knows. We'll find out soon enough

I am hoping for that one. His recent update said that it recently went through MS certification, and there were a couple more hurdles...but the release would be real soon

Chris1

Guacamelee, Chariot, Volgarr, IDARB and Pool Nation all launched on GwG and all came out on the first of the month. It will not be Shovel Knight unless they move it back a few days and they do not launch "earlier or later", it starts on the first.

Volgarr had the button pressed a day early by accident iirc but it wasn't the plan

Guacamelee was July 2nd, and i guess volgarr is the game I was thinking about that got released early

Edit: https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-O...9-36af-4ffb-9f4d-dcf0c38a9232?cid=majornelson

Look at the release date, that would make it 2/5 new games that were released earlier or later than the 1st, pretty good track record so I wouldn't completely rule out shovel knight or expect it to get delayed just to meet some silly deadline, not saying it will be that though, I'd also put my money on lifeless planet if I was to bet on anything.

Edit2: Did you even read the link you pasted me? it says guacamelee was added on July 2

Guacamelee was July 2nd, and i guess volgarr is the game I was thinking about that got released early

Edit: https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-O...9-36af-4ffb-9f4d-dcf0c38a9232?cid=majornelson

Look at the release date, that would make it 2/5 new games that were released earlier or later than the 1st, pretty good track record so I wouldn't completely rule out shovel knight or expect it to get delayed just to meet some silly deadline, not saying it will be that though, I'd also put my money on lifeless planet if I was to bet on anything.

Edit2: Did you even read the link you pasted me? it says guacamelee was added on July 2

I knew it came out at launch, I must have accidentally skipped over it but either way, I dont see it being a regular thing. We'll see when they announce the games next week.

Never mind, I guess Army of Two didn't download. And now it says I can't download it from the console. Pretty fucked how you can't even get a GWG game.

Here's hoping my mistakes will be fixed by Forza Horizon, Batman: AA and perhaps even Alpha Protocol becoming GoD titles. I regret using them in trade promos.

Top Bottom