• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: 5 million units shipped to retailers

I read this article and its no different than the DRM-Phase of terminology and catch phrases they use.

All I can say is look at the facts

Initial: Launch Edition $500
Shortly there after - Xbox one with Game $500
Recently - Xbox one with T-Fall digital $450
More recently - Xbox one system only $450 "temporarily" price drop.

Pretty much don't need to read propaganda pieces to understand their situation. Hasn't even been what barely 6 months and theres a $50 price drop already?

In the UK the Xbox one has had an effective $120 price drop with free $60 dollar game included.

TheCloser

Banned
In the UK the Xbox one has had an effective $120 price drop with free $60 dollar game included.
And its still not selling. This should tell you that price isn't the issue. It might be an issue but it's not the most sole reason for the poor sales and they need to look elsewhere. Dropping the price this early sends a bad signal to consumers. It shows a lack of confidence in the product. They should have waited till e3.

And its still not selling. This should tell you that price isn't the issue. It might be an issue but it's not the most sole reason for the poor sales and they need to look elsewhere. Dropping the price this early sends a bad signal to consumers. It shows a lack of confidence in the product. They should have waited till e3.

Do you have any evidence that it's not selling in the UK? Last I heard it was outselling the PS4.

Nintendo has had the best exclusives to date and no one has gave a crap. People care about dem p's.

You keep stating things as if they're true. I have very little interest in Nintendo exclusives so no they're not the best to me. I'm not sure you get how opinions work.

madmackem

Do you have any evidence that it's not selling in the UK? Last I heard it was outselling the PS4.
It was outselling it a few weeks back when ps4 was not in stock anywhere, I'd be shocked if that was the case now although xbox one has dopped price again now down to £349 with titanfall.

To be fair the £80 price drop is having a bit of an effect and I expect the pal charts on Monday to dominated by Xbox one.

But they have a long way to go to reach parity, much less beat Sony. The PS4 is still selling massively.

But yeah, there is no way Microsoft can go back to £429 here now. They might get away with £379.99 but anything higher (unless with more storage or more free games) is just going to poison the well.

Ironically the same thing happened with the 3DS here. Before the official price cut retailers were doing loads of £50 off promotions. Once those ended, sales slowed and only picked up again after the official price cut.

Kinan

Shipped or sold, the trajectory of Xbox One is flattening out:

ps4sales6fypj0.jpg

Next Christmas will show to what tier both new consoles belong - God tier (Wii, PS2), Success tier (Xbox360, PS3) or Fail tier (Xbox, WiiU). :p

Coolwhip

Banned

ps4sales6fypj0.jpg

Next Christmas will show to what tier both new consoles belong - God tier (Wii, PS2), Success tier (Xbox360, PS3) or Fail tier (Xbox, WiiU). :p

With Titanfall under it's belt. Thats pretty worrying for MS.

I'm sure PS4 will slow down too though. The last gen was way too long, the production of Sony has been very high and in this modern age of social media the awareness of PS4 has been very very high. I think that's why sales are so frontloaded.

It was outselling it a few weeks back when ps4 was not in stock anywhere, I'd be shocked if that was the case now although xbox one has dopped price again now down to £349 with titanfall.

Of course it's not outselling the PS4. No amount of 'manager's easter specials' or evangelists can reverse this console's fortunes. They need a proper price cut and they need to expand their first party offering.

You keep staing thing as if they're true. I have very little interst in Nintendo exclusives so no they're not the best to me. I'm not sure you get how opinions work.

I've stated it one time. Apparently that's enough for you to call me out though. Sorry if I offended you.. I'm not really platform specific, and I like to play good games. If you are a fanboy and only play games on a certain system that sucks.. broaden your horizens, or maybe get a job so you can afford stuff.

I've stated it one time. Apparently that's enough for you to call me out though. Sorry if I offended you.. I'm not really platform specific, and I like to play good games. If you are a fanboy and only play games on a certain system that sucks.. broaden your horizens, or maybe get a job so you can afford stuff.

You said the exclusives are better on Xbox so people are only buying ps4 due to fashion, then you stated that Nintendo has the best exclusives.

I'm not offended. I love playing good games too. I have very broad horizons, and can easily afford all the consoles, so stop assuming things about people to make your odd point. I don't see you lasting here long if you're going to keep posting like this.

I called you out because you keep stating your opinion as fact, then proceed to label those who don't agree as fashion obsessed, then "obsessed with p's"

Don't do that. People have different gaming tastes than you. It has nothing to do with their horizons, their income, or fashion. That's asinine to assume.

Raist

Banned
Was expecting a 2:1 ratio WW around E3 time months ago. Guess I wasn't that far off. Although there might not be any releases that would push the PS4 lead further. Anything major before E3 apart from MLB (which likely won't set charts on fire WW).

SgtCobra

In my opinion I feel the xbone has better games... Consoles are the new fashion statements. Who care's if their comfortable, as long as it looks good.
And other people think the PS4 has the better exclusives.
But if we go by your logic the Xbox One is a fine tailored suit by some guy no one knows and the PS4 some ultra tight designer skinny jeans. In this case the Xbox One is the overpriced piece of hardware and the PS4 the one who gives the best value for what you pay for (hardware-wise, software is up to you)
Oh yeah all those people bought a PS4 because it has the prettiest games and not because it was cheaper or maybe the only console available (see: mainland Europe)
You're right.

Also don't tell people to get a job, who do you think you are? Ken Kutaragi? Damn son you'll last.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

Both your username and posts are deliciously ironic.

"Good" is subjective and you even manage to acknowledge as much. Then you do a 180 and say that while there are some things that are subjectively good there are some things that are objectively good and that these align with your tastes. I actually think that most people prefer the games on PlayStation 4. If a console sells more it's most likely the case that it's either got the games (or versions of games) that people prefer or is likely to get the games (or versions of games) that they prefer. To assume that it's fashion is a pretty big leap.

Majine

Banned

ps4sales6fypj0.jpg

Well yeah, the farther we get from the launch, the more the price difference will matter. It's only going to get worse from here on out (if you want to compare to PS4).

spekkeh

Banned
Took me awhile -- got sidetracked by real life.

ps4_xbo_201404_2l3ryd.png

Last version. =P
Nice graph. The way this brand is doing here in Europe I think you could just tally up the NPD numbers cumulatively from January onwards and still have 95% confidence.

Retailer shelves are bursting with Ones. MS better sell those things than shipping them to retailers.
They should just come out with the real numbers and admit their defeat than this shipped numbers nonsense

quetz67

Banned
Retailer shelves are bursting with Ones. MS better sell those things than shipping them to retailers.
They should just come out with the real numbers and admit their defeat than this shipped numbers nonsense

I am sure they never thought about this brilliant idea.

Into

There are no two ways about it, their "vision" can go take a walk and blow its brains out, much like the Wii U Gamepad, the Kinect is a albatross holding this product back.

If Sony loves anything about Nintendo and MS right now, it is their misguided faith in their forced peripherals, inspired by the original Wii and attempts to re create that craze. Just like Nintendo and Microsoft loved in 2006 that Sony overpriced their console and made it insanely hard to develop games for.

The PS4 is not some amazing system, as of right now. It has a decent enough selection of launch games if you like mainstream games, it performs games slightly better than XB1, and it does have a promising future. But by no means is the PS4 some world beater, best console ever, thats ridiculous to imply right now. But the competition is so bad, inept and misguided that it makes the PS4 look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime.

"They wont remove the Gamepad/Kinect its a part of their vision damnit!!"

And i bet Sony hopes you are right, it benefits them more than anyone.

Nintendo has had the best exclusives to date and no one has gave a crap. People care about dem p's.

Some people care about 'dem p's', others not so much. Some people wouldn't touch Mario with a barge pole, and that's their loss as far as I'm concerned. But, choices eh.

If I had to pick right now, and this is what I had for the generation:

gameplay > framerate > resolution

I obviously would prefer them all as 'high' as possible on my console, but I'm also positive Super Mario World 3D is going to be one of my favourite games of the generation by the time it ends. Having said that, consoles outputting to match a TV's native resolution is rather important with modern fixed res TVs, but it's not the end of the world if it isn't, sometimes.

This reply is a bit of a mess, my head is supposed to be in assignment mode, but I'm dodging it for NPD fun.

Linkified

Well they do say in that piece by MS that they were shipped to retailers numbers in fairly plain English, they also gave the NPD numbers without "winning" March.

If they came out and directly said "we have sold through to consumers worldwide 4million units". What good would that do for MS?

geordiemp

According to who ? Metacritic ? Press ? mid age gaming journalists...?

My son is 10, he has a wii, not turned on in years. He and his mates play minecraft, COD zombies, skate 3, ghosts, GTA5 online (for hours and hours)...Big N is dead to him.

If Nintendo has the most attractive games to most gamers, would they not have the best sales ?

I like Nintendo games, but if I had to choose between say a Mass Effect 3 or Borderlands 2 and any Nintendo game, Nintendo does not get a look in.

My opinion is longevity wise games need excellent online or coop, and with this BIG N fail miserably...

Averon

There are no two ways about it, their "vision" can go take a walk and blow its brains out, much like the Wii U Gamepad, the Kinect is a albatross holding this product back.

If Sony loves anything about Nintendo and MS right now, it is their misguided faith in their forced peripherals, inspired by the original Wii and attempts to re create that craze. Just like Nintendo and Microsoft loved in 2006 that Sony overpriced their console and made it insanely hard to develop games for.

The PS4 is not some amazing system, as of right now. It has a decent enough selection of launch games if you like mainstream games, it performs games slightly better than XB1, and it does have a promising future. But by no means is the PS4 some world beater, best console ever, thats ridiculous to imply right now. But the competition is so bad, inept and misguided that it makes the PS4 look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime.

"They wont remove the Gamepad/Kinect its a part of their vision damnit!!"

And i bet Sony hopes you are right, it benefits them more than anyone.

Yeah. Sony doubled down and refined on their vision of the traditional console experience while MS and Nintendo got side-tracked chasing the "next big thing".

Nintendo is desperately trying to recreate another Wii phenomenon with this QoL stuff (whatever that is) while MS antiquated thinking of 'controlling the living room' fell flat on its face.

FyreWulff

ps4sales6fypj0.jpg

this chart bugs me because the PS1 isn't the contemporary of any of the other consoles and it's missing the GameCube, which was a contemporary of the Xbox and PS2, which are charted.

edit: bugs me in a data organization way, before anyone gets any ideas

Jburton

Banned
MS removing kinect will be an admission of the failure not just of MS strategy but of kinect itself.

Removing kinect from the X1 will more than likely be the end of kinect.

The operating system is built so closely to work in any decent fashion with kinect that an update to the OS will be needed to make multitasking in particular better for controller usage alone.

A big price drop this soon (E3) could do more harm than good, it already has an image perception of failure and second best ..... that combined with a kinect removal and a big price drop might cast more doubts with the public about the machine.

Panic price drops back fire all the time in many different markets.

To stand any chance of a decent second place position MS need to really work up a strategy more than just burning money, then again they have no experience in coming from behind in a generation, they even had a hard time staying in front of PS3 last gen even after Sony fucked up as bad as it did.

The failure of spending money to place first this past month is an ominous sign for MS ...... as of now it's the only strategy they have.

Hoo-doo

Banned

ps4sales6fypj0.jpg

It is flattening out, and considering the line is actually the best-case scenario of shipped=sold, it should lie even lower.

Thing is, I wonder what's going to make that line rise again in the coming months.
Sunset Overdrive? Halo 2 HD? I very much doubt they'll boost sales significantly. E3 will need something big.

Sony hasn't got the year locked in terms of games either, but they'll keep increasing simply by making more. In mainland Europe, PS4's are still nowhere to be found and delivery estimates are up to 3 months or more. Shit's cray.

Chobel

MS removing kinect will be an admission of the failure not just of MS strategy but of kinect itself.

The operating system is built so closely to work in any decent fashion with kinect that an update to the OS will be needed to make multitasking in particular better for controller usage alone.

A big price drop this soon (E3) could do more harm than good, it already has an image perception of failure and second best ..... that combined with a kinect removal and a big price drop might cast more doubts with the public about the machine.

To stand any chance of a decent second place position MS need to really work up a strategy more than just burning money, then again they have no experience in coming from behind in a generation, they even had a hard time staying in front of PS3 last gen even after Sony fucked up as bad as it did.

The failure of spending money to place first this past month is an ominous sign for MS ...... as of now it's the only strategy they have.

So MS are fucked no matter what they do? Really?

StuBurns

Banned
Removing Kinect is a lose/lose situation. It's the only thing that really distinguishes the systems. Without it it's just a weak PS4 without IGC and Halo.

I am enjoying my Xbox One, but MS have it all to do. They need a fantastic E3, they need t p quality games and new IPs, they also need to show the next batch of games are capable of being as close to PS4 as they can and show that the developers are learning.

Most of all they need to release it in other countries!

Doesn't matter if it only sells 20,000 in one country, as long as its on the shelves in the so called Tier 2 countries there will be people purchasing them slowly but surely.

Congrats to Sony. I will pick a PS4 up later on in the year...

spekkeh

Banned
I am enjoying my Xbox One, but MS have it all to do. They need a fantastic E3, they need t p quality games and new IPs, they also need to show the next batch of games are capable of being as close to PS4 as they can and show that the developers are learning.

Most of all they need to release it in other countries!

Doesn't matter if it only sells 20,000 in one country, as long as its on the shelves in the so called Tier 2 countries there will be people purchasing them slowly but surely.

Congrats to Sony. I will pick a PS4 up later on in the year...
It is on the shelves in tier 2 countries.

bbalde

Why people assumed Titanfall will sell millions. Its an online only game, I have been gaming since 1989 and I never played online, not even one ! I am certain I'm not the only one in that category... Titanfall was a perfect fit in their always online strategy which most of us hated...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Meanwhile Nintendo fans are swooning over dem 1080p Mariokart graphics.

As for the topic it seems MS is spinnning things to keep the difference between them and Sony at 2 million units. They don't want the gap to widen. I guess the next press release will count all of the units on assembly lines.

bbalde
(Today, 06:17 AM)
Quote #542 Why people assumed Titanfall will sell millions. Its an online only game, I have been gaming since 1989 and I never played online, not even one ! I am certain I'm not the only one in that category... Titanfall was a perfect fit in their always online strategy which most of us hated...

I think once it goes true multiplatform with T2, it's going to start gaining more traction. I'd say it's going to be one of the biggest new ips this generation, but it's just getting started.

kinggroin

Banned
You keep stating things as if they're true. I have very little interest in Nintendo exclusives so no they're not the best to me. I'm not sure you get how opinions work.

I don't think you understand how facts work then.

They can't be overridden by opinions; so you may as well start liking the Wii U and its games nao.

Rambone

Good work Sony, I've yet to see a PS4 on the shelf since launch day. Every store I've been to in my local metro area has plenty of Xbox Ones on the shelf, collecting dust.

Reading some of the comments in this thread, I'm a bit confused why the slow down in sales is going to spell doom for Microsoft. If anything, Microsoft appears to be genuine in their commitment to the hardware. On a hopeful note, this fall from grace may benefit Xbox gamers in the long run and mold a better Microsoft.

sinnergy

I for one can't imagine a life without Kinect, and Kinect Sports. It's my number one Sports fix. And shows exactly what the system is capable of, motivation, getting people to move and in competition.

My Xbox One is more that my gaming console, it's my sport fix, my digital media machine (netflix) and my game console.

Their vision is right.

Their hardware choices is something else ;)

Yasir

I for one can't imagine a life without Kinect, and Kinect Sports. It's my number one Sports fix. And shows exactly what the system is capable of, motivation, getting people to move and in competition.

My Xbox One is more that my gaming console, it's my sport fix, my digital media machine (netflix) and my game console.

Their vision is right.

sports fix? Get out of the house son.

The failure of spending money to place first this past month is an ominous sign for MS ...... as of now it's the only strategy they have

Why is an admission of failure bad? MS has made some pretty terrible mistakes. Not correcting those mistakes will only continue to inflict damage on their brand, or is there some rule of nature that I don't know about which states that an unacknowledged mistake doesn't count?

The simple fix to the OS being designed around the Kinect is to simply remove the motion capture, the far more expensive part, and keep the inexpensive external mic array.

The price drop of the 3DS greatly helped the sales of that device and contradicts your claim that panic price drops backfire. When the price of a product is higher than the perceived value of the product product then it will have trouble selling. The fact is that the XB1 has lesser hardware than the PS4, and neither the Kinect or the other multimedia features of the XB1 are viewed as being good enough to offset that discrepancy. The simplest and easiest to market solution to that is to drop the price. Bundling of games and services could also work but the perceived value of those services will go down over time requiring a constant changing of the bundles. The only possible bundle item that would retain its value would be free Gold subscription time which is why I think that ultimately that will have to be part of the final package along with a price cut.

As you pointed out in the end, Microsoft doesn't have a lot of options. Even if you think that dropping the price is a bad option, it is still better than the option not to.

Their vision is right.

The reason why we have things like NPD numbers is that the opinions of a few people really aren't that important when compared to the consensus of the whole. There is no doubt that there are millions of people who feel exactly the way you do. Unfortunately there are many many millions more who don't.

Top Bottom