• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: 5 million units shipped to retailers

Jburton

Banned
Why is an admission of failure bad? MS has made some pretty terrible mistakes. Not correcting those mistakes will only continue to inflict damage on their brand, or is there some rule of nature that I don't know about which states that an unacknowledged mistake doesn't count?

The simple fix to the OS being designed around the Kinect is to simply remove the motion capture, the far more expensive part, and keep the inexpensive external mic array.

The price drop of the 3DS greatly help the sells of that device and contradicts your claim that panic price drops backfire. When the price of a product is higher than the perceived value of the product product then it will have trouble selling. The fact is that the XB1 has lesser hardware than the PS4, and neither the Kinect or the other multimedia features of the XB1 are viewed as being good enough to offset that discrepancy. The simplest and easiest to market solution to that is to drop the price. Bundling of games and services could also work but the perceived value of those services will go down over time requiring a constant changing of the bundles. The only possible bundle item that would retain its value would be free Gold subscription time which is why I think that ultimately that will have to be part of the final package along with a price cut.

As you pointed out in the end, Microsoft doesn't have a lot of options. Even if you think that dropping the price is a bad option, it is still better than to option not to.

As I stated there are examples in all markets of price drops back firing, but I did not say it was the absolute rule.

The OS relies on voice commands to make multitasking intuitive among other things, many things would need overhauled.

Acknowledging mistakes is not always a bad thing as you rightly say but for me dumping kinect as a pack in would more than likely finish it off.

Additional value is a path in conjunction with a reasonable price drop, but timing is important .... not all price drops have the desired effect, perception of a product is important ..... dropping price early and substantially can have a negative effect just as easy as a positive one.

quetz67

Banned
Why is an admission of failure bad? MS has made some pretty terrible mistakes. Not correcting those mistakes will only continue to inflict damage on their brand, or is there some rule of nature that I don't know about which states that an unacknowledged mistake doesn't count?

The simple fix to the OS being designed around the Kinect is to simply remove the motion capture, the far more expensive part, and keep the inexpensive external mic array.

The price drop of the 3DS greatly help the sells of that device and contradicts your claim that panic price drops backfire. When the price of a product is higher than the perceived value of the product product then it will have trouble selling. The fact is that the XB1 has lesser hardware than the PS4, and neither the Kinect or the other multimedia features of the XB1 are viewed as being good enough to offset that discrepancy. The simplest and easiest to market solution to that is to drop the price. Bundling of games and services could also work but the perceived value of those services will go down over time requiring a constant changing of the bundles. The only possible bundle item that would retain its value would be free Gold subscription time which is why I think that ultimately that will have to be part of the final package along with a price cut.

As you pointed out in the end, Microsoft doesn't have a lot of options. Even if you think that dropping the price is a bad option, it is still better than to option not to.

I agree! And it should be fast before a critical mass is reached where people just buy the more successful, more powerful console most of their friends own - regardless of price.

coldfoot

Banned
Doesn't matter if it only sells 20,000 in one country, as long as its on the shelves in the so called Tier 2 countries there will be people purchasing them slowly
US+UK accounted for 75% of all 360 HW sales and I'm sure the 13 countries that the X1 is on sale today represent >90% of all of 360's market share. X1 isn't going to make inroads where the 360 did not

Kinan

this chart bugs me because the PS1 isn't the contemporary of any of the other consoles and it's missing the GameCube, which was a contemporary of the Xbox and PS2, which are charted.

edit: bugs me in a data organization way, before anyone gets any ideas

Well, I started the chart by comparison of PS generations and added all others by requests. :) I guess I should start digging the Gamecube sales data now. :)

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Well, I started the chart by comparison of PS generations and added all others by requests. :) I guess I should start digging the Gamecube sales data now. :)

Your chart is going to get a lot more interesting in the coming years. Keep on updating. :)

Livelife

Banned
Xbox one is officially launched in 21 countries, with a further 26 in Sept 2014...PS4 is officially launched in +48 countries.... ?

I often asked that myself too and I think overall the answer is YES.

They rely on people like Pachter to know what is going on, I think they just don't take the time to investigate moore deeply in what stuff they are invested in.

The shareholders are stupid but you guys are so smart, have all the answers and know everything. /rolleyes

The terminology is fine and seems to be what matters as witnessed by it's continued usage for years in the industry. If it wasn't acceptable do you really think they would continue to use it?

Seems to me that MSFT is fine as it's stock price is at a few yrs high and hasn't plummeted in reaction to this news. Also, based on NPD the combined Xbox One/360 seems to be keeping up with PS3/4. It's not as if the division is bleeding red.

I'm unclear as to why some thing MSFT should be in panic cause they aren't matching the competition who've launched worldwide and is doing EXCEPTIONALLY well as apposed to themselves who are only doing really well.

The OS relies on voice commands to make multitasking intuitive among other things, many things would need overhauled.

Acknowledging mistakes is not always a bad thing as you rightly say but for me dumping kinect as a pack in would more than likely finish it off.

Additional value is a path in conjunction with a reasonable price drop, but timing is important .... not all price drops have the desired effect, perception of a product is important ..... dropping price early and substantially can have a negative effect just as easy as a positive one.

While the OS is dependent on voice commands, it is not dependent on detecting motions. My suggestion was to remove the motion capture part only but keep the external mic array.

The XB1's quality is not dependent on its price. The PS4 is considered an higher quality product and yet costs less. That is why MS is having the problem in the first place. In my opinion people are placing the value of the XB1 at around $349 without Kinect. The Kinect does add some value but not that much. I'd guess $20-$75 depending on the person although the average would be towards the low end of that range. You can't hurt the perception of you product by lowering its price to the range where people expect it to be.

However to play devil's advocate against removing the Kinect, MS might have contracts in place that require Kinect support. There are probably game in development now that are reliant on the Kinect being there. I don't know the law of it, but I can image those devs might have some gripes with MS is they remove the Kinect as standard equipment. In addition, Microsoft's NUads initiative relies on the Kinect being included. They consider it a money maker for them. So it might make more sense for MS to eat the cost of the Kinect in the hopes that it will make them more money in the long run.

EagleEyes

Do people all of a sudden have issues with a company releasing sold to retailer numbers now? Sony did this all last generation with the PS3 and people didn't seem to have a problem with it? :p

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Xbox one is officially launched in 21 countries, with a further 26 in Sept 2014...PS4 is officially launched in +48 countries.... ?

It was recently mentioned that Sony are now in 70 countries. I believe it was in the official 7 million article towards the end ... I'll try to find it.

edit: here you go:

The PS4 system is currently available in 72 countries and regions*7 worldwide.

http://sknr.net/2014/04/16/sony-announces-over-7-million-playstation-4-units-sold/

I like the way you're thinking, but keep in mind that a majority of MS's console sales typically come from the US and UK. There's a reason that they concentrated on only 21 countries so far. Those extra countries aren't going to make up the difference.

Do people all of a sudden have issues with a company releasing sold to retailer numbers now? Sony did this all last generation with the PS3 and people didn't seem to have a problem with it? :p

The PS3 was also the more expensive and underpowered console for years. I'm not sure how anyone who justified an early PS3 purchase can also be an ardent opponent to the Xbox One.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I keep reading about how Microsoft shipping 5 million consoles in 5 months indicates a healthy amount of sell in for Microsoft. But is it really? We know they shipped 3.9M WW by the end of 2013. That means that 78% of all Xbox One consoles shipped, hit retail within one month and a week of launch. The other 22% are spread out over the course of 3 and a half months. To put that in perspective, the amount of PS4 consoles sold in the same (PS4 launched in PAL markets 2 weeks after it's NA launch, and a week after the X1 launch) amount of time in 2013, is 57% of the cumulative total. Shipped/Sold numbers of Xbox One are massively front loaded.

Counting from just the beginning of 2014 to the date of each companies latest sales/shipped announcements; So April 6th for Sony, and April 17th for Microsoft (to be generous, I won't even count the two weeks of April). We have the PS4 averaging about a 1M SOLD to customers per month globally, and the Xbox One is averaging 366K SHIPPED to retail per month.

Does anyone know what the Xbox 360 shipped/sold numbers globally were for Jan/Feb/March of 2006? The Xbox 360 was still supply constrained in those early months, but I really would like to know how the numbers match in that time frame.

Xbox One has been unofficially available in a lot of the other countries already.

I saw quite a few of XB1s in Malaysia, Singapore and Taiwan in the past month.

Livelife

Banned
I can count the amount of countries that are receiving PS4 stock with one hand.
Indeed undoubtedly PS4 has great demand however the xbox has less available markets.

In other words the worldwide gap would be less than 2 million if xbox was available in more markets, even factoring PS4's demand and supply constraint.

Indeed undoubtedly PS4 has great demand however the xbox has less available markets.

In other words the worldwide gap would be less than 2 million if xbox was available in more markets, even factoring PS4's demand and supply constraint.

Sure, it would be less. But, those countries aren't going to exactly set the world on fire. I'd be surprised if they, in total, sold 500k.

frizby

The PS3 was also the more expensive and underpowered console for years. I'm not sure how anyone who justified an early PS3 purchase can also be an ardent opponent to the Xbox One.

Blu Ray? Free online multiplayer? Internal wi-fi and HDD?

PS3 was never less powerful. Just more complicated. And they didn't push any crazy DRM plans.

Hardly apples-apples.

A guy I know on some other forums whom I sometimes lock in debate about Xbox One vs PS4, stated that you don't see a million units on store shelves hence 5 million shipped means that most of that has been sold through to customers.

I facepalmed and thought that this guy doesn't know about warehouses.

A guy I know on some other forums whom I sometimes lock in debate about Xbox One vs PS4, stated that you don't see a million units on store shelves hence 5 million shipped means that most of that has been sold through to customers.

I facepalmed and thought that this guy doesn't know about warehouses.
Or bathrooms.

EagleEyes

PS3 was never less powerful. Just more complicated. And they didn't push any crazy DRM plans.

Hardly apples-apples.
Guess somebody forgot how that free online was when the PS3 launched. The PS3 was an absolute mess with its online structure, most games didn't even have voice chat, no unified friends list and there wasn't even a dedicated store to buy games. That was after a year of seeing what Microsoft was doing with Xbox Live. Sony definitely learned quick aka looking to see what XBL was doing and I applaud them for that.

JaggedSac

Some things MS can do at E3 that could help clot the blood, but probably won't help much.

• Reduce price to $450 with Kinect, $350 without, Sell Kinect for $150 seperate.
  • Remove app paywall.
  • Announce each XBox can now be used as a dev kit and ID@Xbox is open to all with a $100 yearly dev fee, games and apps.
  • Show games, games, games. FH2, Halo (5, HD collection), Gears, Fable, SO, QB, some old Rare IPs getting updated, KI Season 2. They need a lot more than this.
  • Demonstrate Cortana working on XBox.
  • Announce their plans for DirectX12. They have PC plans with DX12 where I believe games purchased on XBox will be unlocked and playable on the PC, and vica versa through a new PC service.
  • Show off their AR stuff, this probably won't impress.
  • Xbox Live features, no idea what they could add that would be compelling, but Live wide usage of the matchmaking search using hashtags would be great.
  • Games with Gold on Bone
  • Open up the Xbox Platform to 3rd party OEMs.

I do think the Xbox One is probably right around 4M sold through worldwide as of the end of March. If the PS4 demand maintains its 1M a month pace through May there's a really good chance it will have outsold the Xbox One 2:1 before E3.

At this rate it also seems like Xbox One could end this year having only sold a total of 8M through two holidays. Meanwhile I could see PS4 easily being between 18-20M sold at the same point.

Pretty soon the "tracking ahead of 360" PR math is going to stop working out and people will have to admit the Xbox One had a really good first month of sales, and has flattened out significantly since the New Year.

Sure, it's a marathon, not a sprint, but Microsoft is close to getting lapped and I'm not sure they're prepared to actually run like they need to.

Livelife

Banned
It was recently mentioned that Sony are now in 70 countries. I believe it was in the official 7 million article towards the end ... I'll try to find it.

edit: here you go:

http://sknr.net/2014/04/16/sony-announces-over-7-million-playstation-4-units-sold/
I didn't know the PS4 is officially available in approximately 50 more countries...Furthermore the North America's lead is overall lead is not that great, I think xbox one is doing ok especially at that the relative higher price point.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Some things MS can do at E3 that could help clot the blood, but probably won't help much. -snip-

I find highly unlikely they will remove the app paywall or add games with gold for the bone. I am pretty sure the entire business plan for the bone revolves around gold live subscriptions.

Removing the paywall reduces one incentive to join live, games with gold is going to cost them mony.

The total cost of those two things is gonna be enough to topple their entire business plan for the generation. And they need to be profitable.

Heshinsi

I do think the Xbox One is probably right around 4M sold through worldwide as of the end of March. If the PS4 demand maintains its 1M a month pace through May there's a really good chance it will have outsold the Xbox One 2:1 before E3.

At this rate it also seems like Xbox One could end this year having only sold a total of 8M through two holidays. Meanwhile I could see PS4 easily being between 18-20M sold at the same point.

Pretty soon the "tracking ahead of 360" PR math is going to stop working out
and people will have to admit the Xbox One had a really good first month of sales, and has flattened out significantly since the New Year.

Sure, it's a marathon, not a sprint, but Microsoft is close to getting lapped and I'm not sure they're prepared to actually run like they need to.

They already are tracking behind in shipped numbers when comparing first quarter 2014 to first quarter 2006. It's the massive first month that's making the difference.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Been checking Craigslist as of late, and someone is selling their Bone with an extra controller, and six games for $550.

I've never bought a system off Craigslist, but I can see it happening in the future if I can find deals like that.

Memory problems somewhat? Of course they had problems with it; that and the 'Playstation family' bollocks got buckets of internet scorn

JaggedSac

I find highly unlikely they will remove the app paywall or add games with gold for the bone. I am pretty sure the entire business plan for the bone revolves around gold live subscriptions.

Removing the paywall reduces one incentive to join live, games with gold is going to cost them mony.

The total cost of those two things is gonna be enough to topple their entire business plan for the generation. And they need to be profitable.

Vast majority of Live subs are for multiplayer, MS realizes this, and Sony realized this. They need public perception and more boxes in homes than they need the number of people who buy an Xbox and need to pay for Live to watch Netflix. Especially when there are so many other boxes out there that they could use, and probably do.

Games with Gold of course will cost them money. It costs Sony money and they seem to be doing ok with it(same with no paywall). They need to sell boxes and get people on Live and playing Titanfall and Halo and Sunset Overdrive (all of which is a better incentive to pay for Live than Netflix). This is one way to do it. ntkrnl said it was coming. He was wrong about a few things though, but only in terms of timings and details. It is a good way to make paying for multiplayer a better pill to swallow.

Public perception is their main problem and they realize they need to do a LOT in order to get that back into the green.

semiconscious

Gold Member

Hardly apples-apples.

um, you forgot 'backward-compatibility' :) ...

yes, there were a number of factors for me that justified an early ps3. & all of them were more appealing to me than 'kinect'...

Portugeezer

Gold Member

Just because people like PS4 now doesn't mean they licked Sony's ass in the PS3 days, not at all. Sony got called out for this shit and their PlayStation family.

Heshinsi

Just because people like PS4 now doesn't mean they licked Sony's ass in the PS3 days, not at all. Sony got called out for this shit and their PlayStation family.

It's like the current console race is some people's first rodeo. Sony was called out by people every time they used shipped or their patented "PS3+PS2" combined sales tactic.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Vast majority of Live subs are for multiplayer, MS realizes this, and Sony realized this. They need public perception and more boxes in homes than they need the number of people who buy an Xbox and need to pay for Live to watch Netflix. Especially when there are so many other boxes out there that they could use, and probably do.

Games with Gold of course will cost them money. It costs Sony money and they seem to be doing ok with it(same with no paywall). They need to sell boxes and get people on Live and playing Titanfall and Halo and Sunset Overdrive (all of which is a better incentive to pay for Live than Netflix). This is one way to do it. ntkrnl said it was coming. He was wrong about a few things though, but only in terms of timings and details.

Public perception is their main problem and they realize they need to do a LOT in order to get that back into the green.

That's very nice and all jagged, but I repeat, they need to make money. They invested tons of money on this, starting with half a billion on the NFL deal and the new controller and they did that based on projections and a business plan. Now they are revising their projections downward which means less revenue and on top of that messing with live is gonna tank them. The difference with ps+ is that sony budgeted for that in advance so it's already factored into their numbers.

Jagged, I repeat, where is the money gonna come from. To give you an idea, righting the ps3 costed sony billions. Granted, so far it does not look like the bone is the unmitigated disaster the ps3 was, but these drastic measures will mean they're gonna have to go to the higher ups at Microsoft and tell them that they need money to fix this situation. And that's gonna be the third time the Xbox fails to produce any meaningful profit.

And I am not being a console warrior here jagged, competition is awesome for consumers. I want Microsoft to do great, I want Nintendo to do great.

olOgyfz.jpg

MS PR loves this, get idiot journalists to think sold-in = sold, make it seem like they're only 2 million behind when maybe 3-4 million behind in units sold to consumers

Top Bottom