• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Price To Go Back Up - Last Chance for $350

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think they'll get back to 349.99 with a SKU (no Kinect, no games), soon enough. Coming back to 399.99 for the basic model, after an Holiday where the console got deals where it had 3 games and a 50$ gift card for 349.99 will probably translate in bad sales starting from January. Not Wii U-like sales, but still bad sales.

man, 100$ price cut it would be too cerebral. im betting in yearly 50$(2015-2016) price cuts but if they do the 100$ at once god damn.

PS2 had price cut from $299 to $199 despite that it was still selling very well. Sony could use same kind of aggressive tactics with PS4 as this time they didn't overengineer their console like with PS3. Like zomgbbqftw said would not surprise me if even with $299 price point they would break even next fall.

Xenoflare

PS4 had a price bump too in Canada. Sitting at $450 because of exchange rates.

But it's the only console that raised it's price due to it.... For now.

truth411

Xbox sales are going to be hilarious in January.

Worse still they have already used the $349 price point so even if they do cut at E3 it won't really have much of an impact.

I also think it gets worse for them, I believe Sony will skip $349 altogether and cut straight to $299 next September and still break even on the hardware so if Xbox is stuck at $349 it will get absolutely destroyed forcing MS to cut to lower than $299 in order to maintain the pricing advantage that allowed them to sell more over November this year.

I think when Sony cuts the price of the PS4 it will be $299 but I highly doubt it will be next year, I'm thinking 2016. 2015 game library is crazy not to mention their indie support. If I were Sony I'd offer a better sku at the same price point. PS4 1TB hdd + bundled game for $399.

PS2 had price cut from $299 to $199 despite that it was still selling very well. Sony could use same kind of aggressive tactics with PS4 as this time they didn't overengineer their console like with PS3. Like zomgbbqftw said would not surprise me if even with $299 price point they would break even next fall.

well is just my guessing, those were better times for sony and also because they seem to maximize their profits. not that i wouldnt mind, i could finally buy my white ps4 and sell my launch unit.

Things will go back to normal for January and February , then March I predict we'll see a master chief collection bundle priced at 399.99$ with a permanent 349.99$ price tag for the "core" system that has no games or kinect.

At E3 I wouldn't be surprised by further permanent cuts - core system will go down to 329.99$ , bundle packs down to 349.99$ and DELUXE xbox ones with kinect will go down to 429.99 , stand alone kinect will go down to 129.99 (but come with 3 free games).

Potentially as early as september I can see the xbox one slim launching for 399.99$ , it will come in a couple shapes and sizes - 399.99$ will get you a digital copy of halo 5 with a 1TB hard drive OR come november a digital copy of Rise of the Tomb Raider with a 1TB hard drive. Any new console purchased from september 1st until december 31st will also include 3 months of xbox live gold with the option to upgrade to 12 months at 50% off. Other bundles might well include the 2015 assassins creed and call of duty games.

Any remaining standard size xbox ones will just get more free stuff next christmas but no further price cuts. This year the standard launch model came with forza 5 and titanfall depending on when you bought it , next year I can see it coming with both forza 5 and horizon 2 as well as kinect adventures 3 but it will still cost 429.99$.

Either way, while I believe there's a chance the price promotion ending this friday could result in it simply being a permanent price drop I don't think that will happen. The promotion did it's job, MS won november and december by a wide enough margin that XB1 and PS4 are about neck and neck in north america again , this means word of mouth on the xb1 will increase as more people own one and it could translate into a softer hit on sales in the next quarter even with the price going back up to 400$. The software promotion is where things really get screwy.

what would make you think halo gets bundled when they didn't even bother in November ?

It looks as if MS strategy was to bump the user base with the temporary $50 discount then go back to the original pricing if it was reasonably successful. I assume the NPD numbers look good enough to MS to stick with this strategy or they wouldn’t be doing this.

I think that MS believes that they will be able to continue selling the X1 (even at the original pricing) with help from the larger user base (friends and word of mouth). It’s a risky move IMO but I'm no expert in this sort of thing.

someone said on reddit to phase out the 500 gigs models and switch it to 1 TB to justify the price hike which makes sense i think...keep the 500 gig models at 350

Things will go back to normal for January and February , then March I predict we'll see a master chief collection bundle priced at 399.99$ with a permanent 349.99$ price tag for the "core" system that has no games or kinect.

At E3 I wouldn't be surprised by further permanent cuts - core system will go down to 329.99$ , bundle packs down to 349.99$ and DELUXE xbox ones with kinect will go down to 429.99 , stand alone kinect will go down to 129.99 (but come with 3 free games).

Potentially as early as september I can see the xbox one slim launching for 399.99$ , it will come in a couple shapes and sizes - 399.99$ will get you a digital copy of halo 5 with a 1TB hard drive OR come november a digital copy of Rise of the Tomb Raider with a 1TB hard drive. Any new console purchased from september 1st until december 31st will also include 3 months of xbox live gold with the option to upgrade to 12 months at 50% off. Other bundles might well include the 2015 assassins creed and call of duty games.

Any remaining standard size xbox ones will just get more free stuff next christmas but no further price cuts. This year the standard launch model came with forza 5 and titanfall depending on when you bought it , next year I can see it coming with both forza 5 and horizon 2 as well as kinect adventures 3 but it will still cost 429.99$.

Either way, while I believe there's a chance the price promotion ending this friday could result in it simply being a permanent price drop I don't think that will happen. The promotion did it's job, MS won november and december by a wide enough margin that XB1 and PS4 are about neck and neck in north america again , this means word of mouth on the xb1 will increase as more people own one and it could translate into a softer hit on sales in the next quarter even with the price going back up to 400$. The software promotion is where things really get screwy.

I like how this guy has like every week of next year plotted out perfectly to like the smallest detail. If even half of this stuff comes true I'd be shocked. Also, what's your definition of "neck and neck"?

If they go up to $399 again the X1 will fall off the cliff so hard come Jan. It's become pretty clear people do not want an X1 for the same price as a PS4. It needs to be significantly cheaper

Why would anyone buy it when we know it'll be incredibly cheap if we just wait a while

McHuj

This way they'll get another huge bump when they announce the next limited time promotion bundle in March or so.

How is it a surprise when they have been saying the whole time that this is a temporary Price cut? Heck they even told us the price was going back up in January when they first announced the price cut.

No one expected they'd actually fall through with it. Heck, I still don't think they'll be daft enough to do it

TheFatOne

This seems like such a massive mistake. Wouldn't most people just wait for the price to go down again during the fall before purchasing? Or am I giving consumers to much credit?

Chobel

dat 7k win really counts even if it cost them an arm and a leg.

vyvHAj0.gif

truth411

No one expected they'd actually fall through with it. Heck, I still don't think they'll be daft enough to do it

Really??? I know there was a lot of speculation, but that's all it was speculation. I know I'm not the only one on gaf that expected for M.S. to do exactly was they said.

BFIB

Has a "Temp" price drop ever worked on consoles? For this extended period of time, then raising the price back?

Just seems like smoke and mirrors to artificially boost those last minute sales, then announce "We're listening to the gamers. The $349 price point stands!" or something to that effect.

Even with the good holiday season the X1 is likely still 500k or so behind in the US.

With the coming of the order and Bloodborne and the stacked 2015 lineup throughout the year I'm guessing the Ps4 sees 4-5 months with big spikes. And this time around Sony has major exclusives ready for the holiday season of 2015 like Uncharted and No Mans Sky and Persona 5.. Japan sales should be better this year and well pretty much everything will be better.

Then you have the E3 299 price point incoming or the drop to 299 before the Holidays. Not going to be the same story next year as this one.

PS4 will pretty much just run away with the whole thing in 2015 building a 20 million unit lead at the very least. Weird MS would make this move.

Nintendo needs to make the Wii U $199 or something soon

Blastoise

Banned
Too bad Microsoft set a precedence. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more sales featuring the Xbone during 2015.

The price they had was most likely their only trump card.

Has a "Temp" price drop ever worked on consoles? For this extended period of time, then raising the price back?

Just seems like smoke and mirrors to artificially boost those last minute sales, then announce "We're listening to the gamers. The $349 price point stands!" or something to that effect.

hahah don't stop believing til the clock strikes midnight.

FuturusX

As a business MS has to explore every possible way to make $400 work as a pricing model for as long as possible. Expect $349 at E3. They'll take the hit in the early months of 2015.

Wow, I can't believe they are actually doing it. They must either be losing money at 349 or truly believe that they have a shit ton of momentum now for some reason. Is 399 at least going to have some incentives in the box?

Ricker

There was 2 XBox One with Kinect and a copy of Ryse and Dance Central,refurbished though,at Future Shop(Canada)today for 350....I came so close to getting one but the refurbished scared me...

While you're correct, I doubt the average consumer knows or cares that this promotion is temporary. They're gonna see the console on shelves last week for $350, and on shelves next week for $400. That's all they care about, and it's not gonna look good.

dat 7k win really counts even if it cost them an arm and a leg.

It's wasn't 7k; cboat's info was wrong. I think it was more like 200k.

Top Bottom