• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Price To Go Back Up - Last Chance for $350

MS said it was a limited time price cut just for the holidays. I'm not sure why people are surprised.

The price drop was in effect for so long it conditioned people to expect the lower price point as the "normal" price. Consumers will balk at the price going back up and most will simply wait it out. I'd expect this price hike to get dropped again quick either through official channels or through retailer "discounts" to basically keep it at the current price.

There aren't any.

The "Sunset Overdrive sold poorly" narrative is something lots of people adopt, stick to like glue, and repeat ad nauseam, yet no one can actually produce any proof of it, or back it up with any financial or PR statements. The only "proof" that exists is the fact it didn't chart the Top 10 NPD for the month it was released. That's it.

In the end, it all sounds like salty wishful thinking to me.
As a person who genuinely likes Sunset Overdrive as well as the folks at Insomniac, I don't think it requires a big leap in logic to see the game missed sales projections or just simply sold poorly. A great indicator of weak sales is the turn around on sale prices and promotions. SO had 24 hours where it was free, then people could buy the full version for a large discount less than a month after release. It has seen many prices cuts since that time. People should be paying attention to it because it's a great game, but there's no harm in acknowledging it may have under performed for MS.

Prine

Banned
With a 700k+(US) and 4m+ WW estimated deposit. OK.
I believe he was implying NA. If they take Dec by a similar margin to Nov, they would have continued on that trajectory in NA, with the price intact. Taking NA is far more important than other regions, but its not domination of the generation, PS4 has won that achievement.

rSpooky

Still have mine sitting here in the box, I just do not know what to do. We got it during the BF deals . Then two cars died and needed repairs so I asked my wife to return it (being sensible). But she saved it and gave it to me for Christmas after all. But I have a wiiu,ps4 and a very capable PC for gaming. I love gaming on all platforms but I am just not sure about the xbox one.I checked list wars , went to local stores and it just seems kind of barren in regards of games for it if you count out the multi plat games.
Am I seeing this wrong? Are some exclusive games our right now/soon worth it ? How bad is the need for those large installs and the slowness of the downloads?

It is a internal struggle between my gamer addict side and my common sense side.

wachie

There aren't any.

The "Sunset Overdrive sold poorly" narrative is something lots of people adopt, stick to like glue, and repeat ad nauseam, yet no one can actually produce any proof of it, or back it up with any financial or PR statements. The only "proof" that exists is the fact it didn't chart the Top 10 NPD for the month it was released. That's it.

In the end, it all sounds like salty wishful thinking to me.
I bought SO twice but yeah time to wake up and admit it tanked sales wise.

Really dumb when they were about to lock up this gen.

2662425-1361589542722.gif

Sydle

Still have mine sitting here in the box, I just do not know what to do. We got it during the BF deals . Then two cars died and needed repairs so I asked my wife to return it (being sensible). But she saved it and gave it to me for Christmas after all. But I have a wiiu,ps4 and a very capable PC for gaming. I love gaming on all platforms but I am just not sure about the xbox one.I checked list wars , went to local stores and it just seems kind of barren in regards of games for it if you count out the multi plat games.
Am I seeing this wrong? Are some exclusive games our right now/soon worth it ? How bad is the need for those large installs and the slowness of the downloads?

It is a internal struggle between my gamer addict side and my common sense side.

Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, Forza 5, TitanFall, Killer Instinct, and D4 are all highly regarded. If you have a Kinect then you should definitely try Fantasia and Dance Central Spotlight. I stopped checking in on Halo MCC, so I'm not sure of its current state.

Yeah, you could get TitanFall on PC but the community is pretty much dead and it's still pretty active on X1. D4 will be one of the GwG next month, so wait for that one.

If you're not feeling it now you should sell it and consider looking into it again next fall when MS goes into panic mode with even better deals and more games.

Biker19

Banned
Really dumb when they were about to lock up this gen.

LOL, they haven't "locked up" shit. America is the only region that Xbox One is relevant in & is the only region that's keeping the system afloat.

While they probably have the UK as well, it's small fry compared to both America & Europe in which they're a lot bigger.

rSpooky

Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, Forza 5, TitanFall, Killer Instinct, and D4 are all highly regarded. If you have a Kinect then you should definitely try Fantasia and Dance Central Spotlight. I stopped checking in on Halo MCC, so I'm not sure of its current state.

Yeah, you could get TitanFall on PC but the community is pretty much dead and it's still pretty active on X1. D4 will be one of the GwG next month, so wait for that one.

If you're not feeling it now you should sell it and consider looking into it again next fall when MS goes into panic mode with even better deals and more games.

Thanks for the response. I do have titanfall on PC..had a decent time with it. I have the version with free MCC ( holy mega downloads batman!!) and figured it would be my halo box for now ..ha!

Your comment about the possible deals next holiday season is on point though..

On Demand

Banned
Going to pay close attention to Amazon, Gamestop and Bestbuy's charts this weekend. I think some of the momentum will continue but PS4 will take back the lead.

Going to pay close attention to Amazon, Gamestop and Bestbuy's charts this weekend. I think some of the momentum will continue but PS4 will take back the lead.
PS4 had a giant jump on Amazon in December and it's sitting at #4 in best sellers 2014 (the other 3 are...PSN gift cards xD. XBO is at #12 and that's the AC bundle).

I don't think MS's lead is even gonna be by 100k in December tbqh.

As a person who genuinely likes Sunset Overdrive as well as the folks at Insomniac, I don't think it requires a big leap in logic to see the game missed sales projections or just simply sold poorly. A great indicator of weak sales is the turn around on sale prices and promotions. SO had 24 hours where it was free, then people could buy the full version for a large discount less than a month after release. It has seen many prices cuts since that time. People should be paying attention to it because it's a great game, but there's no harm in acknowledging it may have under performed for MS.

Missing sales projections and under-performing is quite different than "selling very poorly", as at least one person in this thread has gleefully claimed.

I bought SO twice but yeah time to wake up and admit it tanked sales wise.

People often swear to me that God is real too, yet I've seen no real proof of his existence. Show me some concrete numbers of SO's failure and I'll believe it.

blakep267

PS4 had a giant jump on Amazon in December and it's sitting at #4 in best sellers 2014 (the other 3 are...PSN gift cards xD. XBO is at #12 and that's the AC bundle).

Ehh going by monthly it's only jumped from 18 to 16

Biker19

Banned
Missing sales projections and under-performing is quite different than "selling very poorly", as at least one person in this thread has gleefully claimed.

It's not just me saying this, dude. But keep singling me out.

I wonder how accurate it is, as I don't think it's been updated in quite a while.

Sulik2

I can't wait for the deals next year. Halo 5 means I finally want an Xbone, if this year was anything to go by the deals are gonna be awesome.

RBK

Banned

#4 for the year, which is more than reasonable.

Honestly don't know how to get the monthly charts, but hourly has ACU XB1 at #6, PS4 at #8.

You're dreaming bro. Unless you want Xbox to sell so badly all of next year until holidays they have no choice but to do this.

That's only $50 less than this holiday. I think a $299 Halo 5 bundle seems like a possibility for sure.

#4 for the year, which is more than reasonable.

Honestly don't know how to get the monthly charts, but hourly has ACU XB1 at #6, PS4 at #8.

Monthly chart is here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-12/videogames

RBK

Banned
Anything is possible, but a $299 Halo 5 XB1 bundle seems incredibly unrealistic even considering MCC didn't get a official bundle stateside.

Any chance is the potential Halo 5 LE Xbox One, and history for the most part doesn't bundle the game as well.

It's not just me saying this, dude. But keep singling me out.

I know it's not just you, but you are definitely doing your part to perpetrate a belief about something based purely on speculation, conjecture, and hearsay. And this isn't the first time you've been caught and called out for doing it.

RayMaker

Banned
You're dreaming bro. Unless you want Xbox to sell so badly all of next year until holidays they have no choice but to do this.

its was going for $349 with a game this year, and you think a $50 deduction a year later is far fetched?

If yes, then I think your the one dreaming.

Biker19

Banned
I know it's not just you, but you are definitely doing your part to perpetuate a belief about something based purely on speculation, conjecture, and hearsay. And this isn't the first time you've been caught and called out for doing it.

I just go by what others think. Why should I be the one to be called out for it &/or singled out here because of it?

It gets damn tiring, & I'm fed up with it.

I just go by what others think. Why should I be the one to be called out for it &/or singled out here because of it?

It gets damn tiring, & I'm fed up with it.

The problem with going by what others think is if they're wrong, then you are also wrong.

Hell, I could be wrong. It very well could have sold like shit. My point is no one really knows. I thought the game was all kinds of awesome and well deserving of its critical praise, so I have a hard time believing all of the people who say the game tanked, especially those who are well-known to not like anything Microsoft to begin with. Saying the game may not have met sales projections is a much safer and more diplomatic way of saying Sunset Overdrive didn't set the world on fire.

The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.

I wonder how accurate it is, as I don't think it's been updated in quite a while.

Given it's the last day of the year, I would hope Amazon had enough courtesy to update it.

Then again...it is the last day of the year :\

Just when you think you've seen everything....$499 to $199 in the span of a year. Holy shit.

Yeah I'm aware it's a short-time deal but the fact the deal exists at all this soon in the cycle, that's what I'm on about.

Given it's the last day of the year, I would hope Amazon had enough courtesy to update it.

Then again...it is the last day of the year :\

Just when you think you've seen everything....$499 to $199 in the span of a year. Holy shit.

Yeah I'm aware it's a short-time deal but the fact the deal exists at all this soon in the cycle, that's what I'm on about.

It's not a "deal." It's a clearance that's barely available.

Vernia it has to be there in some supply in order to get a news article. And technically it is a deal.

I wasn't saying that like it's super-bad or something, just kind of a shocking thing to consider when you step back and think about it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
$299 + Halo5

They won't bundle their main Fall game, if they do it will be above the unbundled price, sort of like Destiny PS4 bundle. They use bundles to placate 3rd party publishers, not push 1st party games.

Serenity

The problem with going by what others think is if they're wrong, then you are also wrong.

Hell, I could be wrong. It very well could have sold like shit. My point is no one really knows. I thought the game was all kinds of awesome and well deserving of its critical praise, so I have a hard time believing all of the people who say the game tanked, especially those who are well-known to not like anything Microsoft to begin with. Saying the game may not have met sales projections is a much safer and more diplomatic way of saying Sunset Overdrive didn't set the world on fire.

The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.

Yeah you're probably right. They put it up for free play and slashed the price because they were selling so well and just wanted to give back to the community. Based MS.

Most evidence points to it not selling so well but hey no one knows. Lets just say all the games we like sell well while we're at it.

Maybe instead of thinking everyone else is just hating the game because they hate MS how about you are just defending it because you love everything MS?(Not saying you do) Seems like you're just being contrarian for the sake of it and you like the game which is cool but the massive ad campaign versus the actual sales paint a different picture than what you would like to believe.

maxiell

Hell, I could be wrong. It very well could have sold like shit. My point is no one really knows. I thought the game was all kinds of awesome and well deserving of its critical praise, so I have a hard time believing all of the people who say the game tanked, especially those who are well-known to not like anything Microsoft to begin with.

There are launch month numbers in the October NPD thread. I don't know what their expectations were for the title.

Most evidence points to it not selling so well but hey no one knows. Lets just say all the games we like sell well while we're at it.

Seems like you're just being contrarian for the sake of it and you like the game which is cool but the massive ad campaign versus the actual sales paint a different picture than what you would like to believe.

Please share actual sales data with us, physical plus digital, from when the game was released until now. US totals would be a big help. Including Europe would be even better.

If there's something you know that we don't, please share it with the class. We would appreciate it, and it would definitely put an end to the all the arguing.

There are launch month numbers in the October NPD thread. I don't know what their expectations were for the title.

NPD is US and physical copies only. I bought mine digitally so I could pre-load, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Top Bottom