• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One sells one million+ (sell through to consumers) in all territories worldwide

VillageBC

it's kind of amusing that Titanfall is considered a system seller when nobody had played the game yet. That is some serious hype machine going.

RexNovis

Banned
Xbox One “Sold Out at Most Retailers” But There Are Still Plenty Right in the Heart of New York, Including Day One Editions

XboxOneDayOne.jpg

XboxOneToysRUs-2.jpg

XboxOneToysRUs.jpg

So what's the consensus here? Is this FUD or are there legit still XB1s in stores like this. Cause that seems like a huge deal. If PS4 is out of stock everywhere and there are still XB1s out there than that means that people who cant pick up a PS4 aren't even springing for an XB1 when they see it on the shelves just to have a next gen console. Would not bode well for Microsoft at all :/

it's kind of amusing that Titanfall is considered a system seller when nobody had played the game yet. That is some serious hype machine going.

Titanfall just feels like forced hype. I'm getting it because it looks good but I'm not like foaming at the mouth over it.

If anything, I'm getting it because I have an xbox not the other way around.

Have the infamous games ever been big sellers? I thought both games crashed in price shortly after release and were quickly offered as pack ins and PS Plus freebies. Sony has a weird habit of supporting franchises people just aren't that crazy about (Killzone, Resistance, etc.)

alterno69

Banned
IMO, PS2 like domination is better for the industry as a whole, Why? I imagine it's easier for small developers to make it when they have to develope for just the best selling console and focus their resources on just one system, i imagine it's cheaper and they have more chance of making that money back instead of being forced to develope for several platforms with diferent architecture and split user base.
I think it's no coincidence so manu studios died this gen.

Skilletor

Did we have this level of scepticism over Sony's claim of selling +1m to consumers in 24 hours?

Didn't Sony announce their numbers on Saturday? 48 hours after the launch of their console?

Didn't MS announce their sales before the day was up in a lot of regions?

I'm sure it's doing well, but for me, the timing is suspicous. Seems like they wanted to have something to say.

So I just drove around Walmarts in the north Dallas area. They have XBOs but they won't sell them, they are holding them for black Friday. A few of the places lied to me saying they didn't have them, but on the phone earlier, they said they did. The first place I had to get a manager to tell me the reason they are listed as In Stock on their website, yet they "don't have any."

So I just drove around Walmarts in the north Dallas area. They have XBOs but they won't sell them, they are holding them for black Friday. A few of the places lied to me saying they didn't have them, but on the phone earlier, they said they did. The first place I had to get a manager to tell me the reason they are listed as In Stock on their website, yet they "don't have any."

Same thing for PS4. My local wal mart has some stashed away just for Black Friday.

Didn't Sony announce their numbers on Saturday? 48 hours after the launch of their console?

Didn't MS announce their sales before the day was up in a lot of regions?

I'm sure it's doing well, but for me, the timing is suspicous. Seems like they wanted to have something to say.

Maybe Xbox Live's servers are just better at reading these metrics. Remember, the statement didn't just include sales but specific stats about games e..g how many zombies were killed in Dead Rising 3.

Can we take a time-out to talk about how idiotic holding stock for Black Friday is?

You have a sale on the spot that you're turning down to... what, have your store overcrowded and extremely subject to theft and inefficient sales? Did you want to reserve it in stock for a Black Friday sale so you could earn less profit off it? Honestly, I feel like we've reached the point where this "sales holiday" feeds into itself completely independent of any sort of rhyme or reason.

That seems pretty odd.

Biker19

Banned
To be fair, I find his attempts to pretend he is impartial rather funny.

Its senjitusu sage I can't stand and have to put on ignore.

Oh yeah, Senjutsu Sage, too. Can't stand him, either.

Can we take a time-out to talk about how idiotic holding stock for Black Friday is?

You have a sale on the spot that you're turning down to... what, have your store overcrowded and extremely subject to theft and inefficient sales? Did you want to reserve it in stock for a Black Friday sale so you could earn less profit off it? Honestly, I feel like we've reached the point where this "sales holiday" feeds into itself completely independent of any sort of rhyme or reason.

I don't know. Not having your brand new console in stock for Black Friday, one of the most biggest money-spending days/events of the year, would be crazy.

That seems pretty odd.

It's horrible. I had to press them about it while just to get them to say they are being held. One location told me they were locked away. Apparently they are treating it like breaking street date if someone sells you one. Can't believe they would turn away someone wanting to drop 650 at their store.

Skilletor

Maybe Xbox Live's servers are just better at reading these metrics. Remember, the statement didn't just include sales but specific stats about games e..g how many zombies were killed in Dead Rising 3.

You'll forgive me if I don't believe anything MS says after the year they've had. I'll wait for NPD and other sales stats.

Raist

Banned
Maybe because seeing some photos and anecdotal comments of boxes being available at certain places does not equate to the console being available everywhere? If so, the comment is entirely accurate as it concedes that it may still be available in some places though not most. Unless you have data from every single retailer in the country, you have no reason to dispute that claim.

It's absurd we're even having this discussion.

We get NPD figures soon, and of course MS knows this. So let's be intelligent and just accept it (at least for now)

Well that won't tell us much about launch numbers because between now and then, there's black friday.

Codeblew

He's got the thread snapped on his X-Box One. He's not even slowing down his gaming with all of this! (It's also possible that, like many of us, he posts from work. Not like there's much else to do but GAF while code is compiling, you know?)

Well, since you can multitask by surfing the internet while compiling code, you could also do other work while compiling. That said, I do the same thing as you. heh. Well, these days, it is usually coding while being on a conference call and surfing while compiling and then when somebody asks me a question, I have to make an excuse why I didn't hear the question and have them repeat.

I don't know. Not having your brand new console in stock for Black Friday, one of the most biggest spending holidays (or days, if not a holiday) of the year, would be crazy.

Stop and actually think about that for a second. If you're selling through your entire available stock, and apparently will for months to come, why does having stock available specifically for Black Friday matter?

Resist the mass hysteria for a moment. Look at it from the perspective of a foreigner who has no experience with Black Friday and doesn't understand what the fuss is about. Why exactly is it important that you sell all these consoles on this specific day if you could have already sold them all a week earlier? You aren't getting more sales, you're just delaying the ones you would have already gotten and putting yourself at risk of overstock due to intentionally creating an unnecessary snarl in your logistics.

And you're doing all of this... why? Because you want to post really high sales numbers on one "special" day instead of consistently good sales across the entire month?

Codeblew

Did we have this level of scepticism over Sony's claim of selling +1m to consumers in 24 hours?

People didn't see PS4's on shelves 24 hours later.

Both companies can use console activations as safe metrics. That at least this amount of consoles were sold.

Not really. What about scalpers, what about people buying them for xmas gifts, what about people without internet, etc. You would just be guessing on those numbers.

It's horrible. I had to press them about it while just to get them to say they are being held. One location told me they were locked away. Apparently they are treating it like breaking street date if someone sells you one. Can't believe they would turn away someone wanting to drop 650 at their store.

I would not be surprised about the Black Friday stock hoarding.

Working retail, the reason being is that for Black Friday, stores are given individual revenue goals and a ton of hours for workers they otherwise would never given, which are absolutely massive.

This leads to given up daily sales or tiny sales potentials, like say if you wanted a unit right now, that would other wise be calculated to the Black Friday sales revenues, and having 2 big consoles releases are a sure thing to help hit revenue goals for that day. That sale they could have gotten from you that day isn't as important as if it sold on Black Friday despite it being the same amount of money.

Chobel

I don't know. Not having your brand new console in stock for Black Friday, one of the most biggest money-spending days/events of the year, would be crazy.

Whether it sold now or later won't make any difference, MS will get the same profit (maybe even less in Black Friday).

You have to run the risk of being trampled, stabbed or in a fight because a mob gets all black friday'd up, just because they want bigger sale numbers for one day.

Biker19

Banned
Stop and actually think about that for a second. If you're selling through your entire available stock, and apparently will for months to come, why does having stock available specifically for Black Friday matter?

Resist the mass hysteria for a moment. Look at it from the perspective of a foreigner who has no experience with Black Friday and doesn't understand what the fuss is about. Why exactly is it important that you sell all these consoles on this specific day if you could have already sold them all a week earlier? You aren't getting more sales, you're just delaying the ones you would have already gotten and putting yourself at risk of overstock due to intentionally creating an unnecessary snarl in your logistics.

And you're doing all of this... why? Because you want to post really high sales numbers on one "special" day instead of consistently good sales across the entire month?

I think that they just don't want to take the risk of consoles selling out by shipping them out very early before BF, & finding out that they won't be able to make more consoles in time for that day.

satam55

Banned
Xbox One “Sold Out at Most Retailers” But There Are Still Plenty Right in the Heart of New York, Including Day One Editions

by Giuseppe Nelva Nov 24th 2013 3:28PM

XboxOneDayOneWM1.jpg

Not even 24 hours after the North American launch of the Xbox One Microsoft sent a press release stating that “Xbox One is now sold out at most retailers,” but that statement must not have included Toys”R”Us or Best Buy.

Just a walk across Times Square from the location of one of the console’s big launch events to the local Toys”R”Us store, which happens to be the biggest store of the retail chain in the world, and also a very well known shopping outlet, would have confirmed that there are still plenty Xboxes to be had, as discovered by our valiant reporter Al Zamora, that went on reconnaissance today.

Talking with a store employee at the Time Square Toys”R”Us store we a learned that they have “easily a few hundred” units left. You can check a couple pictures below.

XboxOneToysRUsWm1.jpg

XboxOneToysRUsWm2.jpg

But we discovered something even more surprising by walking two avenues further, to the Midtown Manhattan Best Buy store in 5th avenue. There we were told that there are still “a lot” of units left for sale. This doesn’t mean that the Xbox Didn’t sell well, though, as the store was allocated 1500 units, and they have more stored in a truck.

The surprising part? When Al walked to the gaming aisle he was greeted by the sight of several rows of the sleek black-boxed Day One edition Xbox One units, as you can see below.

Update: the third picture below comes from the West Hollywood Best Buy in Los Angeles, for those on the west coast that might want one as well, courtesy of N4G user JuniorCE.

XboxOneDayOneWM2.jpg

XboxOneDayOneWM1.jpg

516089_0.jpg

On the other hand, both stores reported having no PS4 units available for sale at all (even if they may be covertly stockpiling for Black Friday like Walmart is doing), but it’s hard to make a direct comparison, as the Best Buy clerk told us that they received less PS4 units than Xbox One boxes.

That said, if you live in New York and want an Xbox One right away, now you know where to go, especially if you don’t care much for green and want one of those lovely black Day One editions. You don’t even need to hurry too much, as there’s plenty left.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/24/xbox-one-sold-out-but-there-are-still-plenty-right-in-the-heart-of-new-york-including-day-one-editions/
ohhh.png

Biker19

Banned
Why is that a risk?

Because if your console happens to sell out, & then can't get any more of the consoles in stock in time for BF (because most people will want them on that day), then they're SOL. Which is why I think that it's a smart move for Sony &/or Microsoft to hold them back for that day.

Because if your console happens to sell out, & then can't get any more of the consoles in stock in time for BF (because most people will want them on that day), then they're SOL. Which is why I think that it's a smart move for Sony &/or Microsoft to hold them back for that day.

People want them now.

Replicant

Can you do this with PS4 right now?

https://www.ebgames.com.au/featured...um=banner&utm_content=1240+-+Xbox+One+Out+Now

I think not. The fact is, there are endless stock of Xbone and argument that MS provided more than what's selling is a joke considering this is the same company that chose to only WW launch in 13 countries. If they have that much stock, why not launch in more countries? It's not like the console sells gangbuster in those 13 countries.

Chobel

What difference will it make if people get them now instead of BF? Sold out now or later will not make number of units sold any different.

So they're sold out of Ryse here. At the end of the day, that's really all that matters: the games and machines are selling and retailers won't drop it like the Wii U.

Codeblew

Sony isn't holding back shipments for BF, that is a retailer decision. My company got a 2nd PS4 shipment in the past couple of days (depending on store location) and put them right on the shelves. They sold out before noon. This was a small shipment compared to launch, about 1/6 the launch number. My company isn't stockpiling, they are trying to sell them as fast as they come in the loading dock.

noobie

Banned

In our side of the world, we have people who proclaim to have the knowledge beyond this world but they are fake.. So to impress with their knowledge they will say things like that there are currently 7 billion, 541 million, 32 thousand, 487 fishes in pacific ocean. Now no body can confirm this number.. and nobody can say they are wrong.. :)

So i think these stats are just meaning less in terms of hardware sales data.

klaus

Right. Apart from that all the hype is coming from gamers & reporters that have been playing the game that has been demoed publicly since E3 (and garnered a shitton of awards). But I know, it's an exclusive for MS platforms, so that certainly doesn't count ;)

SRTtoZ

With how MS rushed the sales data it just seems like MS wanted to 'aha!' Sony as quick as they could so their stats would match up. Very weird.

With how MS rushed the sales data it just seems like MS wanted to 'aha!' Sony as quick as they could so their stats would match up. Very weird.

Yup, seems a bit a fishy but who knows. I don't MS would be willing to lie like that. More than likely they overestimated demand and it just kind of fizzled out. Too early to tell

Odrion

Banned
At least Infamous is actually exclusive and thus worthy of being called a "system seller" whereas Titanfall is coming to 3 platforms so people will be way less inclined to upgrade from 360/downgrade from PC.

Will Titanfall outsell Infamous? Probably. But that's because it's a cross platform game. Will Titanfall on Xbox One outsell Infamous? Not sure. Depends on how many people have the consoles by then. If PS4 significantly outsells XB1 and the attach rate is similar, Infamous might actually outsell Titanfall on XB1 (though it probably won't if you factor in the PC/360 versions).
Well, a ton of people went out and bought Playstation 4s so that they can play higher rezzed versions of games they could've bought a month before on consoles or the PC they already own. So I'm starting to think that Titanfall being on the 360 and PC won't impact Xbone sales.

So the reason why I can't find an Xbox One in my area in Toronto is because MS sent them all to LA and NY?

Hope they realise they could have sold them faster if they were more equitable in their distribution.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Yup, seems a bit a fishy but who knows. I don't MS would be willing to lie like that. More than likely they overestimated demand and it just kind of fizzled out. Too early to tell

Or a few high profile stores in a high profile city received an overstock and pictures of it mislead people into thinking that you can get them anywhere for some reason?

Matriox

Well, a ton of people went out and bought Playstation 4s so that they can play higher rezzed versions of games they could've bought a month before on consoles or the PC they already own. So I'm starting to think that Titanfall being on the 360 and PC won't impact Xbone sales.

There was a lot of hype for both consoles before launch, meaning people held off of purchasing games for pc/previous gens for next gen. There were still plenty of people who bought pc/ps3/x360 versions of those games, but the consoles releasing within that timeframe gives hesitation considering they would have to double dip or upgrade when they could just wait and have a somewhat different experience with next gen. With Titanfall releasing all at the same time, we will have friends/reviewers letting us know if those consoles are worth picking up before Titanfall even launches.

This could be good or bad depending on the numbers, but those that didn't get launch consoles or have no interest in the between time could very easily just hit up the pc/x360. Also, those multiplatforms that are coming to both Xbox One and PS4, Titanfall isnt coming to PS4 so id say a good portion of those ps4 owners who are interested in Titanfall are going PC.

I don't want to assume the creative accountings that they may or may not have done for their PR, but on the topic of the rumoured 'stock availabilities' of Xboxes...

Are anyone at retail receiving another major shipment for Black Friday, or have you already gotten them?

Top Bottom