• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One sells one million+ (sell through to consumers) in all territories worldwide

Wynnebeck

Banned
No, it's not. I don't understand where this is coming from.

Competitive platforms are good for the consumer. Sales parity is completely irrelevant to the consumer. In fact, if one platform lags behind the other, it is because the consumer has decided that one platform is not actually good for them. That is how it works. The dog wags the tail.

This "competition is good" thing has grown completely into a monster. Competition is the means by which a lessor is weeded out. If a platform is weaker, it should lose. That is competition. This whole "parity is good for the consumer"/"two platforms selling well is good for the consumer" sentiment is bizarre.

What you are espousing is not capitalism or competition but instead crony capitalism in which market competitors are propped up for the sake of having market competitors.

Thank you. Can we finally put that sentiment to bed once and for all?

Bgamer90

Banned
Multiple consoles doing well means more unique content/options for me to choose from as a gamer. If I'm tired with one console, I can easily move on to another as long as that console is getting good content and that pretty much boils down to that console doing well too.

But hey, it seems like I'm no where near as serious/emotional about gaming as some people here are.

Fake or not doesn't really matter. Sony is probably going to have record breaking numbers on friday. Wouldn't be shocked they hit 1-2mil on friday alone.

Multiple consoles doing well means more unique content/options for me to choose from as a gamer. If I'm tired with one console, I can easily move on to another as long as that console is getting good content and that pretty much boils down to that console doing well too.

But hey, it seems like I'm no where near as serious/emotional about gaming as some people here are.
Your post count says otherwise, but that's okay.

Boogdud

No, it's not. I don't understand where this is coming from.

Competitive platforms are good for the consumer. Sales parity is completely irrelevant to the consumer. In fact, if one platform lags behind the other, it is because the consumer has decided that one platform is not actually good for them. That is how it works. The dog wags the tail.

This "competition is good" thing has grown completely into a monster. Competition is the means by which a lessor is weeded out. If a platform is weaker, it should lose. That is competition. This whole "parity is good for the consumer"/"two platforms selling well is good for the consumer" sentiment is bizarre.

What you are espousing is not capitalism or competition but instead crony capitalism in which market competitors are propped up for the sake of having market competitors.

I don't know what to say, except thank you. Thank you for reassuring me that there is at least one other person out there that gets this concept. It has baffled me for years, particularly how forced it is in the gaming industry by people who are supposedly critics and analysts.

Heh, where in my posts have I ever said that I want Nintendo or Sony to flat out fail?

You guys are hilarious. Sorry for having fun with a MS console.
Are you pretending your reading comprehension skills have deteriorated? You understand full well what I'm alluding too when I mention your post count (In this thread alone)

Are you pretending your reading comprehension skills have deteriorated? You understand full well what I'm alluding too when I mention your post count (In this thread alone)

He's got the thread snapped on his X-Box One. He's not even slowing down his gaming with all of this! (It's also possible that, like many of us, he posts from work. Not like there's much else to do but GAF while code is compiling, you know?)

He's got the thread snapped on his X-Box One. He's not even slowing down his gaming with all of this! (It's also possible that, like many of us, he posts from work. Not like there's much else to do but GAF while code is compiling, you know?)
Probably right, still, there's gotta be an emotional investment if he feels the need to respond to every doubt about the xboxone.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Heh, where in my posts have I ever said that I want Nintendo or Sony to flat out fail?

You guys are hilarious. Sorry for having fun with a MS console.

Good lord. Please stop acting like you're the poor Xbone fan everyone is picking on. Noisy said you can't enjoy your console. What you need to realize is that one console selling better than the other is competition in its natural state. This organic balance will correct itself with both companies takin steps to appeal to more consumers. There is no need to gas up this idea of "both consoles need to sell on parity!" because it makes no sense. This has nothing to do with hurt feelings over your choice in console.

beast786

Good lord. Please stop acting like you're the poor Xbone fan everyone is picking on. Noisy said you can't enjoy your console. What you need to realize is that one console selling better than the other is competition in its natural state. This organic balance will correct itself with both companies takin steps to appeal to more consumers. There is no need to gas up this idea of "both consoles need to sell on parity!" because it makes no sense. This has nothing to do with hurt feelings over your choice in console.

to be honest it took time for me to figure this out. As a big playstation fan I was glad for xbox success. PSN at least I believe would have remained shell of itself if wasn't for XBL.

hence, I wanted xbox one to succeed and keep sony on its toes and not being complacent as they showed on ps3.

I do believe its human nature to relax when no competition and being aggresive when down or equal.

So, part of me believe that natural order of competition wins out. but, I am hoping a good competition will bring the best out of both. it could price, services , more spending on unique and creative ideas etc

Wynnebeck

Banned
to be honest it took time for me to figure this out. As a big playstation fan I was glad for xbox success. PSN at least I believe would have remained shell of itself if wasn't for XBL.

hence, I wanted xbox one to succeed and keep sony on its toes and not being complacent as they showed on ps3.

I do believe its human nature to relax when no competition and being aggresive when down or equal.

So, part of me believe that natural order of competition wins out. but, I am hoping a good competition will bring the best out of both. it could price, services , more spending on unique and creative ideas etc

Oh no doubt. However, when you are confusing acknowledgement of this concept with fanboyism, it comes across as silly. He just needs to take a breather and come back later.

beast786

Oh no doubt. However, when you are confusing acknowledgement of this concept with fanboyism, it comes across as silly. He just needs to take a breather and come back later.

Also, what would AC or even COD would look or play like if instead of releasing in 6 different and unique platform or just 1 or 2. I believe games shined on ps2 because all resources were to one project and used that platform to its maximum, which brought higher game quality competition within . Hence that lead to both increase in quantity and forced quality due to higher competition .

As you can see I go back and forth? ;p

Content goes wherever it will sell, the only exception being first-party funded content.
There being "multiple consoles doing well" has no bearing on whether there's "unique content" all it does is increase the number of systems one would need to experience said content.

People need to stop with these warped arguments about how "competition" means everybody gets an even slice of the pie and that without some sort of forced sales parity everything becomes homogenous.

So wait, this was just shipped to retailers? What happened?

There's no way to really verify independently one way or the other. You basically choose to take Microsoft at their word or don't, though it's worth noting that's not really anything new when it comes to US numbers. We pretty much just take them on good faith because there's no real independent reporting system in North America tracking the sales.

The NPD numbers won't be out for a while, and even they don't really directly track console hardware sales. (Actually, even the organizations that do track hardware retail generally only track numbers shipped and not sold-through in EU, right?)

I just put him on ignore altogether. I don't know why people keep giving him attention to begin with.

What's actually surprising is that he keeps pushing that ps2 sales argument but people have shot down his argument why the ps2 dominated in 2 or 3 different threads already.

beast786

So wait, this was just shipped to retailers? What happened?

ship to consumers. Albert confirmed it. Even though I don't believe a word he says as he is a proven lier. but, you can't lie about this as a public company making these announcements if false can have the SEC on your doorstep as it can lead to volatility in stock. So this particular pr has to be 100% correct when it comes to unit sold. To whom and how. has to be factually correct. Unlike subjective bs spin.

ship to consumers. Albert confirmed it. Even though I don't believe a word he says as he is a proven lier. but, you can't lie about this as a public company making these announcements if false can have the SEC on your doorstep as it can lead to volatility in stock. So this particular pr has to be 100% correct when it comes to unit sold. To whom and how. has to be factually correct. Unlike subjective bs spin.

Does this mean a thread title change is in order?

Did we have this level of scepticism over Sony's claim of selling +1m to consumers in 24 hours?

Yes, actually. The first page was mostly people asking whether or not the statement was/should have been "shipped" rather than "sold through", and it continued to be a point of contention until Yoshida specifically corrected a media source that used the "shipped" terminology in reporting it. (At which point it became about whether or not the media were all horrible Sony shills for taking their marching orders on stories from corporate.)

Infamous is not close to Titanfall in system selling ability at all imo, still not a big enough franchise. It has nowhere near the hype that Titanfall is receiving. GT7 and Uncharted would be on par.

InFAMOUS is a very popular franchise in the PS community, and it's the game a lot of people (like me) are waiting for to pick up a PS4. Titanfall well surely sell more WW, but it's not exclusive, so it won't require people to get a Xbone to play, whereas InFAMOUS will.

Yes, actually. The first page was mostly people asking whether or not the statement was/should have been "shipped" rather than "sold through", and it continued to be a point of contention until Yoshida specifically corrected a media source that used the "shipped" terminology in reporting it. (At which point it became about whether or not the media were all horrible Sony shills for taking their marching orders on stories from corporate.)

But in the OP, we have direct confirmation of it being sold to customers from Microsoft's PR release and not "shipped". So if all it takes is a statement from the source (as was the case of Shu's response) then why are we still speculating in the case of MS?

Pain

Banned
Did we have this level of scepticism over Sony's claim of selling +1m to consumers in 24 hours?
We didn't have pictures of piles of PS4s stacked a day after Sony said they were sold out at retailers. We didn't have Sony announce their figures before launch day was over. Surely you get why there is doubt around Microsofts figures and how they counted them.

But in the OP, we have direct confirmation of it being sold to customers from Microsoft's PR release and not "shipped". So if all it takes is a statement from the source (as was the case of Shu's response) then why are we still speculating in the case of MS?

The original statement from Sony was fairly unambiguous as well.

The reason we have skepticism is because both companies insist on having a culture of secrecy around their US sales, never submitting to scrutiny over the numbers or even mentioning them except when it specifically benefits them. The natural reaction to people behaving in a furtive manner is skepticism, and it will continue until a decent reporting system for these sales arises in America.

By contrast, no one's ever particularly skeptical of Media Create Sales/Famitsu numbers, regardless of what company or console they currently favor, right?

Steel

Banned

Sony had 3 days to gather the data. MS announced it before stores even closed. Does seem strange, no?

Edit: For the record, I'm not assuming MS is lying, just saying there's reason to be suspicious, and thus reason to discuss.

AlfeG

The original statement from Sony was fairly unambiguous as well.

The reason we have skepticism is because both companies insist on having a culture of secrecy around their US sales, never submitting to scrutiny over the numbers or even mentioning them except when it specifically benefits them. The natural reaction to people behaving in a furtive manner is skepticism, and it will continue until a decent reporting system for these sales arises in America.
Both companies can use console activations as safe metrics. That at least this amount of consoles were sold.

We didn't have pictures of piles of PS4s stacked a day after Mkcrosoft said they were sold out at retailers. We didn't have Sony announce their figures before launch day was over. Surely you get why there is doubt around Microsodfs figures and how they counted them.

Then its reasonable to assume therefore that they had shipped more than they sold. Microsoft - like Sony - presumably calculated the amount of units it sold by measuring how many had signed into their online network services using the device. I find that more likely than every retailer giving them a live feed of till sales of the unit.

MS have a responsibility to their shareholders. The idea that a corporation of this magnitude would effectively lie in public about their sales in an attempt to save-face to video game fanboys is absurd. Everyone expects the PS4 to sell more due to its price; Microsoft doesn't have to demonstrate sales parity during launch.

I imagine there are some people here who are just baffled as to why the rest of the public didn't care about resolutiongate and hardware differences as much as they themselves did.

njean777

Or you could just have all the games on one console and never have to spend 500$ on another, but you wouldn't like that I guess.

Where does the "it's now sold out at most retailers", not even 24h after launch, bit come from then?

Maybe because seeing some photos and anecdotal comments of boxes being available at certain places does not equate to the console being available everywhere? If so, the comment is entirely accurate as it concedes that it may still be available in some places though not most. Unless you have data from every single retailer in the country, you have no reason to dispute that claim.

It's absurd we're even having this discussion.

We get NPD figures soon, and of course MS knows this. So let's be intelligent and just accept it (at least for now)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Multiple consoles doing well means more unique content/options for me to choose from as a gamer.
If developers want to make a game, they'll make it for whatever platforms are available that it's suitable for and for which there are no other obstacles preventing them from doing so. Plenty of unique content will exist regardless of the precise number of consoles "doing well".

Besides, "doing well" seems to be a very low bar to achieve, given how the last few generations have gone: Competitors have typically been distant 2nd/3rd to the market leader and still gotten plenty of content. So "doing well" hardly seems to require sales parity or even close to it.

Both companies can use console activations as safe metrics. That at least this amount of consoles were sold.

The problem isn't that Sony and Microsoft don't have an accurate way to gather the data, the problem is that there's no transparency. I would expect that they have extremely detailed sales data by region, retailer, and even a pretty accurate idea of the demographic data pertaining to their customers.

I don't really have any reason to trust them on any of that data they share when they choose to do so only when it's to their benefit, though. There's no good third-party reporting of the numbers, and neither company is inclined to give any of that information when it isn't directly for the sake of building good marketing (ie, when they have big benchmark statistics to trumpet).

To put it another way, I'm sure the United States government has perfectly accurate and useful census information. If the government were to tell me, 'Oh, we're not sharing any of that information, though. Just know that more Americans are healthy and happy than ever before!' I don't think I'd be particularly inclined to trust them.

Exokell

Banned
how many millions of ps4 does sony have right now to sell? we got black friday and europe launch for this month. Then we got december next month. Are we expecting more than 6 million sold for this yr?

nynt9

Infamous is not close to Titanfall in system selling ability at all imo, still not a big enough franchise. It has nowhere near the hype that Titanfall is receiving. GT7 and Uncharted would be on par.

At least Infamous is actually exclusive and thus worthy of being called a "system seller" whereas Titanfall is coming to 3 platforms so people will be way less inclined to upgrade from 360/downgrade from PC.

Will Titanfall outsell Infamous? Probably. But that's because it's a cross platform game. Will Titanfall on Xbox One outsell Infamous? Not sure. Depends on how many people have the consoles by then. If PS4 significantly outsells XB1 and the attach rate is similar, Infamous might actually outsell Titanfall on XB1 (though it probably won't if you factor in the PC/360 versions).

Top Bottom