• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One supports Suspend/Resume at launch, PS4 doesn't

I think some are jumping into a defensive shell because this is a blemish on Sony.

But people are of every right to call out Sony on this. Not too long ago Microsoft had touted a revolutionary feature for Vista, that it would ship with it called WinFS. All of us Tech junkies were salivating at the introduction of a new file system based off of SQL but as some of you may know a few months before launch it was announced that WinFS would not be part of launch and would come at a later date. Microsoft was crucified in the press because of it, even worse when it was revealed that it was scrapped, although some of the tech was later implemented into various other platforms.

My point is, if a company promises a feature and touts it as a big part of their product, but fails to deliver it with said product they should get a lot of flack for it.

Just as MS has gotten flack and ridicule for over promising on availability worldwide so should Sony get the same for this.
They are currently getting a lot of flack for this, and some are defensive, it's similar to every bad news about every company, ever.

Vestal

Gold Member
even if the X1 Flash is 100 MB/s, it would still take like half a minute to resume a suspended game (if also reading from HDD for redundant assets)

That's not were it would reside, it would reside in memory. Low powerstate would keep enough juice to maintain the memory state.

geordiemp

I think some are jumping into a defensive shell because this is a blemish on Sony.

But people are of every right to call out Sony on this. Not too long ago Microsoft had touted a revolutionary feature for Vista, that it would ship with it called WinFS. All of us Tech junkies were salivating at the introduction of a new file system based off of SQL but as some of you may know a few months before launch it was announced that WinFS would not be part of launch and would come at a later date. Microsoft was crucified in the press because of it, even worse when it was revealed that it was scrapped, although some of the tech was later implemented into various other platforms.

My point is, if a company promises a feature and touts it as a big part of their product, but fails to deliver it with said product they should get a lot of flack for it.

Just as MS has gotten flack and ridicule for over promising on availability worldwide so should Sony get the same for this.

I agree, give us the feature, but don't knock 10 % off the GPU or gimp the performance by even 1 %. 1 st, 2nd and 3rd priority is the game

Raist

Banned

Well to be fair, unlike your example, Sony never said it would be supported day 1. Of course people assumed that function will be there since they talked about it. That's a fair enough assumption. But it's a bit weird to go "But they promised! pre-order cancelled."

Vestal

Gold Member
So once again, a company gets shit on for being honest with its consumers. I prefer for them to come out and say it instead of omitting/dancing around the subject.
They are getting flack for not having a feature that was showcased as a big part of the system since it was announced.

I don't get it - yes its a nice feature to resume a game.

But if doing so means to GIMP the running of the game, then no thanks.
You're under the assumption that this affects game performance? How?
So once again, a company gets shit on for being honest with its consumers. I prefer for them to come out and say it instead of omitting/dancing around the subject.
Noone is criticizing them for being honest. They're criticizing them for delaying a feature that was announced/expected to launch with the system. Im sure you can understand the difference.

danwarb

But its more important that after that 5 seconds or 2 minutes we can play the game in glorious 1080p.

If it boots in a NANOSECOND but is sub par - then who cares ?

I do, if the games are still good and the overall user experience is much better.

Vestal

Gold Member
Well to be fair, unlike your example, Sony never said it would be supported day 1. Of course people assumed that function will be there since they talked about it. That's a fair enough assumption. But it's a bit weird to go "But they promised! pre-order cancelled."
The preorder cancel crap is hilarious if anyone is actually doing that I would suggest they take that money and go see a shrink they have much more pressing issues to attend than entertainment.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

maybe a better example would have been powershell and not winFS

even if the X1 Flash is 100 MB/s, it would still take like half a minute to resume a suspended game (if also reading from HDD for redundant assets)

I don't think it's exactly clear how Xbox One will handle game suspension. The way Cerny described the PS4 feature it seems the RAM remains powered even in sleep mode so it never leaves memory. Xbox One will have lower power states, but I don't think it ever drops into a sleep or hibernation equivalent state, so a running game could stay resident in memory there, too.

Vestal

Gold Member
maybe a better example would have been powershell and not winFS
Well powershell was over promised, it really hit its stride in version 2. Now I use it every day hehe. Get-food "Chinese" -filter "pepper steak" | for each object {get-mouth -consume $_}

UNCMark

Banned
I don't think it's exactly clear how Xbox One will handle game suspension. The way Cerny described the PS4 feature it seems the RAM remains powered even in sleep mode so it never leaves memory. Xbox One will have lower power states, but I don't think it ever drops into a sleep or hibernation equivalent state, so a running game could stay resident in memory there, too.

Sure would be nice if they'd make a video demoing it. It's not like they don't have a bunch of finished Xbox Ones around and a ton of employees capable of recording a video and uploading it to youtube.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Well powershell was over promised, it really hit its stride in version 2. Now I use it every day hehe. Get-food "Chinese" -filter "pepper steak" | for each object {get-mouth -consume $_}

not only overpromised but really delayed too

I was so excited for it and then I never learned it :(

Dragon

Banned

Don't really know much about powershell since we have a LAMP stack at work but is it akin to bash on Unix?

imtehman

Banned
not surprised, Sony has always been behind on things like this since the ps3's inception, and it seems that they aren't necessarily playing catch up, but on a wait and see approach and bite MS's things.

I wonder if Sony didn't even begin implementing this feature until they found out MS will have it?

not surprised, Sony has always been behind on things like this since the ps3's inception, and it seems that they aren't necessarily playing catch up, but on a wait and see approach and bite MS's things.

I wonder if Sony didn't even begin implementing this feature until they found out MS will have it?

Except they announced it 3 months before and have a handheld thats been on the market (techincally 2 handhelds actually) 2 years that has it.

It was announced before Microsoft...

UNCMark

Banned

I expect Sony will be behind MS in this regard all gen, but ahead in stuff like PS+ offerings. I'm OK with it.

oSoLucky

Noone is criticizing them for being honest. They're criticizing them for delaying a feature that was announced/expected to launch with the system. Im sure you can understand the difference.

I get it, but regardless they're still getting negative reactions on a subject that I don't think is that big a deal. It is a very nice feature to have, but not deal breaking except for rare extreme circumstances. Don't get me wrong, but I'm all for convenience, hell this is one of my favorite features of the Vita.

I expected that most of the features announced for the XB1/PS4 to not be available at launch, so I'm not really disappointed to hear that some have been delayed. There must have been something not working as intended or Sony simply felt as if there were bigger fish to fry. Life goes on.

geordiemp

You're under the assumption that this affects game performance? How?

The talk of 10 % GPU reserved for xbox one and the 3 OS virtual etc etc and MS gone quiet on how well the best selling games will run ....

If Sony can do an instant stop / resume then yes do it, but don't take any risks on how games run is my simple view

If it was a simple implementation with 'no side effects' then Sony would have done it already

Artorias

Banned

Subtle.

wow, then there really shouldn't be any reason why Sony doesn't have it at launch. Or at least, not have it before microsoft

It clearly points to development trouble on the PS4. /sarcasm.

Maybe developing a console is hard work. We get to hear about all of the headaches MS is going through because we have "insiders" who have direct access there, but not so much over at Sony. Maybe Sony is having an easier time but these issues are happening there too, we just dont hear about it.

Dysun

That's unfortunate on Sony's behalf, but kudos to Microsoft. It's a good feature that I was looking forward to, will have it eventually on my PS4 though

Orca

All Sony said was that some features shown were 'aspirational' in nature. It's not until now that we're finding out which ones those were.

Wynnebeck

Banned
That's unfortunate on Sony's behalf, but kudos to Microsoft. It's a good feature that I was looking forward to, will have it eventually on my PS4 though

Could have sworn PS4 has the same ability of Xbone to suspend a game but none of them have the same ability of the Vita (at present).

Jack_AG

Banned

This man has never heard of the PS Vita.

Holy.

Shit.

Krakn3Dfx

Better that they put it in there incomplete or not fully tested and brick a bunch of systems I guess. Seems like a feature that could go real bad if it's not 100%, it'll be cool when it's ready to go, but rushing things on a $400 console that I'd like to keep for many, many years seems like a bad idea.

Jedi2016

This is a new generation; you're purchasing the console to do things you couldnt do previously, otherwise why would you be buying it?
For the games. Those are the things we want differently. I could give a shit if the console stood up and danced a jig, I'm only after the games.

I fail to see why I should suddenly be disappointed that I won't be able to suspend/resume until later. Do you really expect people to cancel their pre-orders for something silly like this? No, of course not. So there's not much sense in bitching about it, since it's not going to change anything. For anybody.

And really, how much of a delay do people expect? "Not at launch" does not mean "not ever". And it's not going to be delayed until 2017, either... I expect we'll get the suspend feature before we get Infamous. A couple of months at the outside, and then no one will care.

That's exactly what someone with an agenda would say.
2Zu3Rbg.png

Haha, perfect.

This isn't a deal breaker by any means, I'm not getting one at launch though.

Prine

Banned
This is a feature that "would've been nice", Sony OS / services seems up in the air, one area where MS have been great in.

Xamdou

Very disappointing it isn't available at launch, looks like PS4 players will enjoy traditional game saves by check points and manual saves.

zroid

Banned
Too bad, this is by far the most compelling next gen feature for me. Don't give a shit about streaming video (I do love screenshots though).

Well I wasn't planning to get either system /at launch/ anyway so it's no skin off my nose.

Kiant

This man has never heard of the PS Vita.

Holy.

Shit.

I don't think many people have ;) BOOM

but in all seriousness this isn't even that groundbreaking of a feature, I turn my shit off at the plug when I leave the house or w/e. Maybe if you were in middle of a super duper hard boss fight but you had to go out to work or something then yeah could be useful? but that's pretty damn specific.

subrock

I'm really trying to figure out whether the whole premise of this thread and the replies therein are satire. I just can't muster any feelings of outrage over this.

Very disappointing it isn't available at launch, looks like PS4 players will enjoy traditional game saves by check points and manual saves.

Quick question. Did you expect to use this in lieu of saving?

Because if you do I see alot of rage in your future. System crashes, power cuts, games quiting to install emergency updates.

And thats not even mentioning saves for sections people want to replay, NG+ and fresh runs.

Manual saves and check points arent going away any time soon.

Holy shit, this guy never heard of the PSP.

I don't know how I feel on the subject!

Pro:
It takes precious GPU space 2-10% to implement the feature. Screw that! Make the parity between the PS4 and X1 wider.

Cons:
If it uses little resources and we wouldn't notice! Do it!

If only we knew...

Top Bottom