• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One supports Suspend/Resume at launch, PS4 doesn't

geordiemp

This
again

wow, let me change my pre-order to xbox one...

Does anyone think tier 10 features like snap and resume play take precedent over how the game runs for Ps4 buyers ....?

The whole reason I am defecting from MS 360 is the fact they have gimped the GPU for lots of features which are not as important as playing the game.

This is concerning to me because it seems like a feature that would have a significant hardware aspect for it to work reliably. The fact that it's not there makes me wonder whether it's more of a hardware problem then failure to program this feature into the OS (not an overall "this hardware is faulty" problem, just not built to support this feature). I'm no console engineer so I don't know this by any means, it's just seems concerning to me. It's a bummer for sure, I was really looking forward to this feature.

Anyhow, I hope this ends up working because it really sounded convenient.
Christ, these types of posts crazy thick with logical leaps and bounds. This stuff borders on concern trolling. How do you go from obvious crunching to have the OS ready for launch to "this cannot work because of hardware limitations"?

Do people say that shit about the myriad Xbox One features that were delayed? Sure, some people like to joke about the delayed features on the Xbox One, but I don't see posts on the same level as this one or the OP's "old Sony" quip.

Seeing some people act like this is some kind of victory for Microsoft is equally confusing. I'm pretty sure the list of features that actually work at launch is much shorter than the list of stuff that's been delayed.

Metfanant

It's worrying that its still not ready this late into the year. But most of all, the disconcerting thing is the feeling that Sony may lag behind in providing software functionality to their console this generation as they were last time round. It was the reason I originally sold my PS3 to get an Xbox 360.
Frankly I'm more worried by one of the consoles providing an inferior gaming experience...ya know about the games? The reason we all buy these things in the first place?

Saty

Can you seriously not see how these kind of posts come across like an over-reaction? Was sleep mode really that important to you?

The importance of said feature to me isn't relevant as the importance Sony assigned to it. It was talked-up at the original announcement event as part of the emphasis on PS4 being a great improvement in convenience and immediacy.

Owzers

This was one of my favorite features when they announced it, hope Sony gets it running asap but it's a bit disconcerting that it won't be at launch, runs the risk of never happening at all.

It's worrying that its still not ready this late into the year. But most of all, the disconcerting thing is the feeling that Sony may lag behind in providing software functionality to their console this generation as they were last time round. It was the reason I originally sold my PS3 to get an Xbox 360.

With everything Microsoft has pushed to 2014 you think Sony is the one lagging behind?

Oppo

As long as the multitasking is there, I'll survive.

I've been living with boot times all current gen, little while longer won't kill me.

emb

This is a minor thing, but I hate the "no need to finish this, we'll just patch it in later" philosophy. I'd honestly rather just wait for things to be finished, instead of beta testing. (Though I guess this is generally more applicable to games than consoles.)

Link please?
Where have you been the last four months?
This is a minor thing, but I hate the "no need to finish this, we'll just patch it in later" philosophy. I'd honestly rather just wait for things to be finished, instead of beta testing. (Though I guess this is generally more applicable to games than consoles.)
This has happened at every console launch since the ability to perform firmware updates arose. These companies are crunching big time to get these things in a workable state, so some features simply won't be available at launch.

The same has been true of operating systems for computers since time immemorial. Your expectations are unrealistic.

AndreasWs

Neo Member
God dammit, first it seems like the hard drive in PS4 does not have infinite space and now this. Sigh, pre-order cancelled

Christ, these types of posts crazy thick with logical leaps and bounds. This stuff borders on concern trolling. How do you go from obvious crunching to have the OS ready for launch to "this cannot work because of hardware limitations"?

Do people say that shit about the myriad Xbox One features that were delayed? Sure, some people like to joke about the delayed features on the Xbox One, but I don't see posts on the same level as this one or the OP's "old Sony" quip.

Seeing some people act like this is some kind of victory for Microsoft is equally confusing. I'm pretty sure the list of features that actually work at launch is much shorter than the list of stuff that's been delayed.
Calm down, holmes. I said I had some concern, it was simply a post expressing my thoughts. It was a very measured post, not full of doom and gloom. No one's pissing on your favorite company or console. . I'm buying a PS4 at launch, this was a feature I've been looking forward to since it was announced, and I'm surprised it doesn't work. That's it, no underhanded agenda. Seriously, take a chill pill, and quit misquoting people to set up straw men.

coldone

This was one of my favorite features when they announced it, hope Sony gets it running asap but it's a bit disconcerting that it won't be at launch, runs the risk of never happening at all.

they have it on psp, vita etc for a long long time/just chill out. it will arrive in less than 90 days. they did it before windows had proper hibernation mode.

Nags

Banned
Don't care. This is a feature that was just icing on the cake.
Doesn't makes up for the multitude of blunders behind the design philosophy that is the new xbox.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yes, suspend/resume not being available at launch is disappointing but calling it an "old sony" move is waaaay overplaying your hand, OP. Trying to somehow shame their OS team into rushing it? That's always a good plan...if they're not ready, better let them have the time to get it right. 8 generations of console hardware without this feature makes me think you should be able to wait a few more months.

RulkezX

I'm in two minds about launch now.

I think it might be more fun being on the internet reading reactions than actually playing games :)

Suspend resume is that even neccessary for a home console? We have options like auto save, cloud saving, standby, plus the ps4 and Xbox one are home consoles, not portable devices like the Nintendo 3ds and vita.

I think it's an overrated feature considering like a desktop computer it's going to be in one spot and rarely if ever move for a long period of time from your home entertainment system unless you are just re-arranging your living space. Suspend resume IMO is awesome for portable devices since you're always on the move and you might have to pause what you're playing, but for a home console I just don't see the point. Don't be lazy save your progress, turn off your console, save some money on a utility bill if you even have to pay one. I'm not downing the implentation of a "new" feature tho, if people actually want this, hopefully they add it.

Protome

That would be funny if forza wasn't 1080p among other games probably.
At the moment Forza is the only confirmed one for Xbox, where as most (all?) PS4s lineup is 1080p.

CoD was announced as 1080p but then that big rumour hit and idunno if that got resolved.

https://twitter.com/albertpenello/status/393944655932297217

This was one of the most interesting features about the PS4 which I was generally looking forward to using, seeing how well it works on the Vita. It was also a feature that Mark Cerny boasted at the PS Meeting in February. This seems typical old Sony of past years. I'm knobbed off about it.

Edit - to all those throwing the 'agenda' comment - check post history.

Ha ha! You mentioned something that doesn't favor the PS4 and you're getting hit with "agenda" comments? Ha ha ha.

Sucks that's not ready for PS4 fans. I've never used a suspend thing with games. I'll have to see what the hub bub is about on the X1 with it.

Ha ha! You mentioned something that doesn't favor the PS4 and you're getting hit with "agenda" comments? Ha ha ha.

Sucks that's not ready for PS4 fans. I've never used a suspend thing with games. I'll have to see what the hub bub is about on the X1 with it.

This seems typical old Sony of past years. I'm knobbed off about it.

If you can't see the flame potential in that, you're a poor judge at anything.

ItIsOkBro

For instance, Ben Kilgore, corporate vice president of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business said, a player could stop gaming for the day, and then come back the next day and say "Xbox on," and the console would "bring you right back to where you were in the game."

Everything that has been stated about it seems to have been stated months ago; A recent update about the feature (after the recent news) would be nice though.

Well that's better.

That was seriously my most anticipated feature about ps4, but it's coming eventually, so that's all that matters.

Everything the suspend feature provides, you can use the pause button to do.

Unless the console has serious overheating issues its not as useful as people think.

I wouldn't want to just leave my game paused for three, four, five+ days at a time

At the moment Forza is the only confirmed one for Xbox, where as most (all?) PS4s lineup is 1080p.

CoD was announced as 1080p but then that big rumour hit and idunno if that got resolved.

Not only is this not true but it's completely irrelevant to this discussion. Let's focus on the topic.

this is completely untrue. NBA 2k14 is also confirmed 1080p on both consoles.

That was seriously my most anticipated feature about ps4, but it's coming eventually, so that's all that matters.

I wouldn't want to just leave my game paused for three, four, five+ days at a time

I wouldnt want to leave my console on fullstop for three, four five+ days at a time, even in a low power state.

Top Bottom