• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One supports Suspend/Resume at launch, PS4 doesn't

I don't care. I prefer not to have all features at launch. I like seeing my console improve even more after launch and the most important features are already there.

UNCMark

Banned
Excellent news for people buying the One at launch. I'm pissed Sony couldn't manage to include a seemingly simple feature they touted in February. Hopefully it's patched in soon. It's interesting that Sony can't do this, but they can add Twitch support so quickly, whereas MS announced Twitch support long ago but it wont make their launch(makes me think MS watched the Sony reveal and decided then to add Twitch support). This thread, though. Wow. Some people get too invested in corporations.

I thought another game popped up as 1080 on both as well outside of CoD and NBA.

FIFA is.

Jedi2016

We know it's coming. We've lived without it for decades now. We can go another couple months without it being the end of the world. It's not a feature that I ever considered when deciding which was "better", so it makes absolutely zero difference in my purchasing decisions.

I don't care. I prefer not to have all features at launch. I like seeing my console improve even more after launch and the most important features are already there.
My god. This is brilliant.

We know it's coming. We've lived without it for decades now. We can go another couple months without it being the end of the world. It's not a feature that I ever considered when deciding which was "better", so it makes absolutely zero difference in my purchasing decisions.

I dont understand people's logic here. This is a new generation; you're purchasing the console to do things you couldnt do previously, otherwise why would you be buying it?

B.O.O.M

Knobbed off....don't think I've heard that one before

As for this good on MS...but as long as it comes to PS4 soon after it really is a non issue. What's important at launch is that the OS works smoothly and quickly. Rest of the bells and whistles are secondary.

DeltaJay

Banned
This is good but MS needs to get the One's priorities straight when it comes to features.

External drive support at launch > Suspend/resume at launch

Vestal

Gold Member
This is good but MS needs to get the One's priorities straight when it comes to features.

Given how the one has been marketed with the tv stuff and instant everything it's not far fetched to say this was a core feature of the functionality of the one.

Well, we all like to get what we want as fast as possible, and 30 seconds can feel like a long time. It's the same situations as the killzone developers doing everything they can to remove all the company logos from startup. Fast and responsive is good.
instant satisfaction isnt as rewarding as working for something... just look at any spoiled child who crys when something doesn't go instantly right.. 30 seconds is nothing. Its a cool feature but nothing worth getting upset over.

Are you going to be buying every launch game or something? If anything, external hard drive support is one of the better features to delay because its importance only really starts to matter as you go further into the generation and you have a bunch of games. It shouldnt matter much at all in the beginning. I'm not saying it's good that it was delayed, I'm just saying if you're prioritizing for things that need to be there at launch I dont think that's one of them.

Raist

Banned
What did Microsoft push to 2014? Also this isn't a big deal, Sony will put it in quickly probably.

System release in multiple countries
Voice command support in multiple countries
External HDD support
YT/Twitch etc
Kinect sports rivals release

Probably not a complete list.

UNCMark

Banned

I agree with this and wish they also left out the disc eject option at launch. Would have given me something to look forward to. They could have possibly included it in a Christmas update and labeled it a gift.

Microsoft just keeps buttering me up. Will be perfect for nfl Sundays. Or I could just snap the redzone package I have to the screen. Not sure if that works though.

BajiRav

This also possibly means that background downloads won't work at launch because low power state won't be available.

Doesn't actually say you can turn it off, as it's supposed to be an always on console for 10 years, but it certainly implies that doesn't it? We'll know soon.
wasn't there a thread about some dev. saying "Xbox Off" immediately turns it off? Combine that with "Xbox On" and you have suspend resume.

Amusing mental gymnastics of saying Xbox One is same as PS4 (not you but others).

madmackem

Again this should be added to op, it can still multi task suspend and resume just not standby and resume as many are getting the two mixed up.

DeltaJay

Banned
Are you going to be buying every launch game or something? If anything, external hard drive support is one of the better features to delay because its importance only really starts to matter as you go further into the generation and you have a bunch of games. It shouldnt matter much at all in the beginning. I'm not saying it's good that it was delayed, I'm just saying if you're prioritizing for things that need to be there at launch I dont think that's one of them.

Given how the one has been marketed with the tv stuff and instant everything it's not far fetched to say this was a core feature of the functionality of the one.

I understand both points and believe me I'm in no way belittling this feature. It's on the fly processes like this that make the system. However, with mandatory installs and the lack of being able to switch out HD I do tend to get kind of worry about storage. So, not too get OT too much, from what I've seen from videos of the suspend feature it's looking pretty seamless.

I thought it wasnt that kind of sleep feature?

From earlier:

For instance, Ben Kilgore, corporate vice president of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business said, a player could stop gaming for the day, and then come back the next day and say "Xbox on," and the console would "bring you right back to where you were in the game."

Everything that has been stated about it seems to have been stated months ago; A recent update about the feature (after the recent news) would be nice though.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

I'm just hoping NAS support comes with it... I have tens of terabytes waiting for my X1 game storage

This is ridiculous. The whole process takes less than a minute. Even less if you put the disk in the drive while the console is in stand by.

Less than a minute on what? Here's a video of my PS3 going from a cold boot to a loaded save game. It takes over two and a half minutes. Next gen consoles have 16 times as much RAM and only 3 times faster optical drives and marginally faster HDDs. The promise of going from a sleeping console to in game in less than 5 seconds is pretty incredible.

geordiemp

Less than a minute on what? Here's a video of my PS3 going from a cold boot to a loaded save game. It takes over two and a half minutes. Next gen consoles have 16 times as much RAM and only 3 times faster optical drives and marginally faster HDDs. The promise of going from a sleeping console to in game in less than 5 seconds is pretty incredible.

But its more important that after that 5 seconds or 2 minutes we can play the game in glorious 1080p.

If it boots in a NANOSECOND but is sub par - then who cares ?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

even if the X1 Flash is 100 MB/s, it would still take like half a minute to resume a suspended game (if also reading from HDD for redundant assets)

Foxix Von

Christ, between this thread and the PS4 hdd cache thread I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall of hyperbole and stupid for breakfast this morning.

Good for the Xbone. It'll probably come soon after launch for PS4. Not really huge deal. Especially when you consider that the xbone doesn't even ship with a functioning OS, they're BOTH coming in hot and nearly unfinished.

Kerub

Banned

This. Microsoft is throwing all their cards on the table in an attempt to close in on PS4. Sony is aiming higher.

Vestal

Gold Member
I think some are jumping into a defensive shell because this is a blemish on Sony.

But people are of every right to call out Sony on this. Not too long ago Microsoft had touted a revolutionary feature for Vista, that it would ship with it called WinFS. All of us Tech junkies were salivating at the introduction of a new file system based off of SQL but as some of you may know a few months before launch it was announced that WinFS would not be part of launch and would come at a later date. Microsoft was crucified in the press because of it, even worse when it was revealed that it was scrapped, although some of the tech was later implemented into various other platforms.

My point is, if a company promises a feature and touts it as a big part of their product, but fails to deliver it with said product they should get a lot of flack for it.

Just as MS has gotten flack and ridicule for over promising on availability worldwide so should Sony get the same for this.

geordiemp

I don't get it - yes its a nice feature to resume a game.

But if doing so means to GIMP the running of the game, then no thanks.

oSoLucky

So once again, a company gets shit on for being honest with its consumers. I prefer for them to come out and say it instead of omitting/dancing around the subject.

But its more important that after that 5 seconds or 2 minutes we can play the game in glorious 1080p.

If it boots in a NANOSECOND but is sub par - then who cares ?

Sure, I'm firmly in the PS4 camp, but I do think it's a bummer the game suspend and sleep won't make launch. I can't afford a PS4 this year anyway, but the Vita firmware was iterated on rather quickly so I trust Sony will get it working pretty swiftly so I'd probably never even be effected by the delay.

Top Bottom