• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One system update coming today

oVerde

Banned
Just received. The logo didn't flash'd for me, and splash green screen took a while to go.

I left it on standby and gone cooking my dinner, when got back the power brick were amber.

Walked out and saw power brick was orange, "Xbox On" didn't work so I turned it on and saw the splash screen. No progress bar on the first Xbox One logo, just a green screen, so I can see some people getting confused and turning it off - ruining their console :(

EDIT: Looks like my flash version is still the same, maybe it was just shut down without me knowing instead of sitting in standby like I assumed.

Yeah they need a progress bar, very confusing as to what is going on. How they could not have something that simple in place is rather silly.

Just got my update

Could you tell us what version its running? Thanks! I think mine updated...

This is cool and all, but I hope they fix the upscaler someday.

I think Ryse showcases that effect of the upscaler can be disabled and replaced with a developer's own solution. Maybe because a lot of early titles needed to make launch, developers didn't have time to address the issue.

ParityBit

I don't think my power brick ever went Amber, but I got the update bar and splash screen .... I don't think it ever shut off. Unless it did and turning it on with the controller was enough.

OmahaG8

Seriously this.
I got the update just now, turned my console on, saw an initial progress bar indicator and it was moving, figured that was the update itself but I guess that was maybe the download, and now I am just staring at the boot screen.

Ooooh, as soon as I typed "staring" it finished. But it was a good minute of boot screen, if not longer. Any indication whatsoever that it is doing something would be nice.

Just make it fucking ripple or anything. A damn hourglass - just not "nothing". Not if it's going to take as long as it does.

Where the hell is my Dolby Digital, Microsoft?
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

If anyone is having issues updating their XB1 there is a manual way of updating it.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/offline-system-update-diagnostic-tool

"Offline System Update Diagnostic Tool

The diagnostic tool should only be used to troubleshoot a console that’s having trouble downloading the system update from Xbox Live. Please exhaust all other troubleshooting before attempting this process, as the diagnostic tool file is a very large file and this troubleshooting process will take considerable time to complete. Troubleshooting can be found on Troubleshoot system updates on your Xbox One console.

....."

OmahaG8

If anyone is having issues updating their XB1 there is a manual way of updating it.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/offline-system-update-diagnostic-tool

The diagnostic tool should only be used to troubleshoot a console that’s having trouble downloading the system update from Xbox Live. Please exhaust all other troubleshooting before attempting this process, as the diagnostic tool file is a very large file and this troubleshooting process will take considerable time to complete. Troubleshooting can be found on Troubleshoot system updates on your Xbox One console.

....."

The lack of posts is everyone checking furiously.

Phreaker

I said "Xbox on" and my Xbox turned on...so I didn't get the update.

Heh, if only the reverse were true. I said "Xbox on" and my Xbox didn't turn on…so I said it again and again, then did it old school and pressed the Xbox button on the controller. :]

statham

....."

rather not chance doing it that way, I'll just wait for the amber light of update.

OmahaG8

I just turned my system off like 3 minutes ago (after having it off for 10 minutes). Said screw it and turned it on to play dr3, and now it's installing. So I guess it downloaded fast...

Mononoke

Banned
You have to let it sit a while like the poster above mentioned. I turned mine off for only 1-2 min and then turned it back on, but after reading the above post, I left it off a bit longer and in about 5 min, I saw the Xbox Light flashing on and off. So it is live, just have to tell it turn off and leave it off for a little bit.

But more important, for those that have the update notice anything different? I know that when Major mentions updates in the past, he does not seem to mention everything, so just wondering if there are some other little things that people are noticing. I am doing some stuff around the house, so have not had time to re-boot the system as of yet.

Personally, I won't be able to tell until a day or two. Typically what happened in the past is, I would play my Xbox One daily but would always leave it in sleep mode when I was done playing. Then my OS would start to get laggy after a couple days of use. I assume this is the "memory leak". Hard resetting my Xbox One is the only thing that would clear this up, and make the OS smooth again.

So basically, I guess by the weekend if my OS doesn't lag again (or as much) then I can say this update was great. I know there is more stuff that was added, but I can't really tell any difference.

Cynn

Turned on my X1 and got no update. What I did get was an error message across the bottom of the dash about dogfood. You read that correctly.

aOiyazM.jpg

Mononoke

Banned
Went to stand by for about 30-40 minutes twice in the past couple hours and no amber yet.

Will try again later

Are you in the instant on beta (or do you have that option checked off). I mean, I assume so given you said "stand by". Only thing I can think of. Maybe try hard powering down the Xbox One. Then reboot it again, then say "Xbox Turn Off" and then give it another 10 min or so.

sangreal

Turned on my X1 and got no update. What I did get was an error message across the bottom of the dash about dogfood. You read that correctly.

aOiyazM

image is broken, but this is an error (or some debug status) trying to load your pins. Dogfood-V4 is the value of the x-xbl-ccp-instance-version request header

not sure why it is showing up on the dashboard

Klocker

Are you in the instant on beta (or do you have that option checked off). I mean, I assume so given you said "stand by". Only thing I can think of. Maybe try hard powering down the Xbox One. Then reboot it again, then say "Xbox Turn Off" and then give it another 10 min or so.

Yes have that checked. was thinking about that earlier but I manually closed my game....will try your suggestion thx

Sean

Banned
Thanks for the info. I wonder what pin has the "Dogfood" value attached to it. lol

dogfood is a term that is used when testing stuff internally (aka 'eating your own dogfood'). I assume this string of text is probably something meant for MS employees / dashboard developers that they forgot to turn off or it got enabled somehow

Mononoke

Banned
Yes have that checked. was thinking about that earlier but I manually closed my game....will try your suggestion thx

Yeah it's worth a shot. I would just hard power it down (so make sure to fully turn it off). Then reboot it. THEN say "Xbox Turn Off" etc. Then try it again by letting it sit. If that doesn't work, i guess just wait until it eventually hits. Weird either way.

statham

Before the update when I did the "test multiplayer connection" it told me "can't get a teredo IP address" now its saying "Its all good" :)

Thrax

Banned
Still haven't gotten mine yet :p
Just turned off the Xbox for about 10 minutes. Power brick never switched to orange.
I've got download updates automatically checked.

Cynn

That's not an error - it's a request.

Cyborg confirmed?

dogfood is a term that is used when testing stuff internally (aka 'eating your own dogfood'). I assume this string of text is probably something meant for MS employees / dashboard developers that they forgot to turn off or it got enabled somehow

Ahh thanks! My dash is responding laggy as well as if it's displaying transitions at 10fps. I think it's time to power off and wait for the update before turning it back on.

watership

Got the update. First thing I noticed is that logging in after a suspend I get the full screen gamerpic greeting each time. Haven't seen that since the I first chose my pic weeks ago. I used to get the smaller "hi" notification on resume.

I haven't got the update yet. According to Wikipedia the new version is:

6.2.10217.0 (xb_rel_launch.131205-2200)

My XB1 is still at:

6.2.10210.0 (xb_rel_launch.131118-1159) fre (The fre must be since I'm in Canada? Even though I'm using English.)

Somehow amazingly I played 3 rounds in a row of BF4 Obliteration without it crashing. I also received the Achievement for playing 100 rounds in the first 21 days. I think they gave it to me as a reward for putting up with their BS because about 2 days ago it said I was at 13 and their is no way I played 87 rounds in the past two days. lolz That or it glitched out. GG Dice, GG.

Mononoke

Banned
so it doesn't fix the broken party system

thanks for nothing hyrb

My assumption based on what has been said, is that the party chat thing is a ways off. I don't know how far off. Maybe it will be in a month. But yeah, definitely wasn't going to come this soon.

Honestly, I don't really have high hopes for a lot of changes being made quickly. I think because Xbox One's OS is so closely tied to the Windows 8 platform and they want that parity, I think changes to the OS is going to take a bit longer.

Fredrik

Not a big issue but why do you have to turn it on manually after the install? On the 360 it just reboots itself.

Still no 50hz support for pal tv broadcasts :(

TBH for normal tv it's not a huge issue but for sports (which is pretty much the only reason I have satellite tv!) it's horrible! By the time it comes my family will probably be so fed up xbox will not get the opportunity to be the media centre that I bought it to be :(

RyudBoy

So I put my xb1 in standby mode and it began updating. Saw the lights blink a few times and then it turned off after a few minutes. Turned on the console using the controller, saw the normal boot screen with the green background, and my OS version is the still the same as before... 6.2.10120.0

Tried putting it in standby a couple more times, nothing. :/

Your console will automatically download the update after you turn it off. Once the update has been downloaded in the background, your console will power completely down. Please note: You will need to manually power your console back on after the update has been downloaded. Because the update will power your console completely down, the “Xbox On” voice command won’t be available until after the update is fully installed.

Wow, that sounds like a user experience hot mess.

Top Bottom