• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One system update coming today

hwalker84

Great so nothing is fixed then. I'm still paying for a single player console here.

This has to be the most bizarre way to update a console ive ever experienced.

Have you tried opening ports in your router or adding the Xbox One to your DMZ?

And yes I agree with you that the whole process is bizarre.

1. We should have the ability to check for updates like every device known to man in 2013
  2. When the update is automatically downloaded in the background a notification should pop up telling you there's an update available
  3. The console should be able to return to standby if the update is done while in standby

Great so nothing is fixed then. I'm still paying for a single player console here.

Well to be fair the "change log" only mentioned fixes for the wireless networking and connectivity issues. There may be other things still pending for the NAT problems people are having.

As I said I can get mine open by setting up a manual port forward. You shouldn't need to do that these days though with modern routers and UPnP. My Xbox 360 talks to the same router perfectly fine using UPnP.

Xone9

Banned
woke up to an orange power supply light..
powered it on via touching the logo on the console, green progress bar for like a minute than a xbox one logo for 2 minutes than I am all good..

nothing noticeable as far as a change..

realized I had $8 in credit for some reason though and got Peggle 2.. =)

TheGrue

I am out of town and was worried my wife would freak out when the XBox wouldn't turn on with voice this morning. She said it turned on like normal which means it did not update last night. I guess it only checks when you go into standby or will it check intermittently? When did the patch release in the U.S.? Trying to figure out why mine didn't update. I don't get home until tonight. Want to make sure my wife and kids don't brick this thing.

Xone9

Banned
i have never pulled the plug on my xb1... always used "Xbox Off" so it is in standby mode..

I pulled the plug last night for the first time, let it boot, then went to bed... and woke up to the upgrade waiting for me..

so if you didnt get the upgrade yet, try powering down your xb1, then pull the plug for 10 secs or so, then power on and just wait it out

I don't think they intend for people to try to "force" the update. That's why the option's not there. It'll happen eventually, so I wouldn't worry so much about it.

It's not like you can't go online until you update a la PS3, right?

I don't think it's necessary to unplug. Got mine overnight and was greeted with a fully powered-down system with an amber/orange indicator on the power brick. Turned it on and watched a download and/or install progress bar filling for a couple minutes and then a green X1 animating logo for a few more minutes. Working fine.

JaggedSac

I had a progress bar for this.

You guys sure you didn't? Turned on my box (cold boot). Turned on instant on, turned it off again.

Turned it back on, progress bar appeared.

I had a progress bar as well. Black screen with progress bar, then the green screen with Xbox logo. Took maybe 5 minutes.

lil smoke

Banned
I am out of town and was worried my wife would freak out when the XBox wouldn't turn on with voice this morning. She said it turned on like normal which means it did not update last night. I guess it only checks when you go into standby or will it check intermittently? When did the patch release in the U.S.? Trying to figure out why mine didn't update. I don't get home until tonight. Want to make sure my wife and kids don't brick this thing.

For me it was in between 5-6AM EST.

Big bright flashlight probably make my kids pee the bed.

Klocker

i have never pulled the plug on my xb1... always used "Xbox Off" so it is in standby mode..

I pulled the plug last night for the first time, let it boot, then went to bed... and woke up to the upgrade waiting for me..

so if you didnt get the upgrade yet, try powering down your xb1, then pull the plug for 10 secs or so, then power on and just wait it out

To completely power down if you run in standby all you need to do is hold the xbox orb on the console for about 5 seconds and it shuts down, powers off.

Also.... update, Mine was in standby overnight and was ready to install when I booted up today

Mine downloaded the update sometime overnight. Took maybe 3-4 minutes for it to update once I turned it on this morning. So far the only thing that has been noticeable is that the UI isn't all laggy anymore.

cripterion

Still no update for me... this shit is so confusing compared to last gen. Things should be simplified as you go through the ages, not the fucking opposite.

EDIT : just as I post that the my power supply light turns orange, just lol

Klocker

Still no update for me... this shit is so confusing compared to last gen. Things should be simplified as you go through the ages, not the fucking opposite.

actually for most people who don't read forums or twitter or MN, there is no confusion at all

they just come up to their machine, it does not respond to voice, they hit the button on controller, two to three minutes later it boots and they have no idea anything changed

it's just us impatient, on top of every change gamers that even notice. ;)

I think their goal is silent updates. Just like my DirecTV Box updates all the time overnight and I have no idea unless they pop up a new feature list on boot.

oVerde

Banned

The fact it's over simplified now and anxious people can't bare with.

Leave on standby, don't care about it, when you come back to your gaming session you'll need to manually turn on your console and wait a bit more on startup, end of history.
There is no prompts, signs, notifications, check boxes, nothing, just background update working

You're not able to play online multiplayer with a moderate NAT?

Ghosts tells me I have a moderate NAT all the time and I still play just fine.

Wizman23

Banned
You're not able to play online multiplayer with a moderate NAT?

Ghosts tells me I have a moderate NAT all the time and I still play just fine.

I thought NAT only had to do with P2P gaming. Since everything on XB1 runs on dedicated servers I thought NAT didn't matter.

malfcn

Getting update now. It's weird, as soon as I turned off my console last night in power-saving it was already amber. That would explain the lag during KI matches. Was it downloading during multiplayer games?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. Nor use party chat. Only on open for me for both. No update for me just yet. My power brick is still white.

That sucks.

I had a lots of problems with my NAT. Ended up putting my router to factory settings, which put it to moderate. Then I did that trigger network check in the settings and it has been open ever since. Makes no sense, but glad it worked.

Regarding the update, I had my system in power-saver mode so I guess I have to wait a bit?

shandy706

Haha, this explains why my wife called me and said the Xbox wouldn't come on when she was telling it to.

After she powered it on manually she said it worked.

IRQ

Banned
I haven't got my update yet. I turned it off by my voice yesterday and came from work today, nothing has happened. Now I turned it off by the controller.. Nothing also. The light on the power brick still white as Casper.

any suggestions?

sangreal

I haven't got my update yet. I turned it off by my voice yesterday and came from work today, nothing has happened. Now I turned it off by the controller.. Nothing also. The light on the power brick still white as Casper.

any suggestions?

You're not really missing anything

sangreal

lol. That' not the answer I was looking for bro. It's better to have it updated than not, right? :p

Not much else to tell you -- it seems to be some kind of staged rollout. I tried for hours to force the update last night with no luck. Woke up this morning with the amber light on

Caayn

Great, downloaded this updated earlier today and now I can't play multiplayer on BF4 anymore. Every other multiplayer game works fine.

Satchel

Banned
lol. That' not the answer I was looking for bro. It's better to have it updated than not, right? :p

Read a few posts from the last page. Like mine.

Try cold booting, then turning on instant on on, then turning it off, then back on.

IRQ

Banned
Read a few posts from the last page. Like mine.

Try cold booting, then turning on instant on on, then turning it off, then back on.

Instant on is always on on my Xbox. I did turned it off by holding down the power button. Waited for a few minutes then turned it on from the power button. And turned it off by my voice.
Is this the same as the method you have described?

Smokey

-Came home
-Orange light on power brick , "oh must be the update"
-Press power on X1
-Progress bar, followed by X1 green screen for a minute or so
-At dashboard

Sounds like I've been a lucky one

Quite happy with the noticeable performance improvement. But then again, I didn't expect anything less from a software company. Can't wait how they evolve this OS just like they always did with their previous iterations!

Top Bottom