• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 Million is a very old number. That was just 2015 sales. Halo 5 is probably ~7M by now thanks to those XB1S bundles. Very much still relevant. Halo 4 most likely sold around 9M or 10M units so going from that game's terrible reception and MCC, Halo 5 hasn't done too bad. Will probably end with a LTD of ~8M which I believe is where Reach is at.

LTD sales probably look like this right now.

Halo CE: 6M
Halo 2: 8M
Halo 3: ~12M
Halo Reach: ~8M
Halo 4: ~9M
Halo 5: ~7M

Pretty consistent performance since H2, with H3 bring the clear peak of the franchise.

Ridiculous spin here. You arbitrarily decide to include Halo 5 bundle numbers (which are a total asspull by your own admission) against previous titles LTDs (which are inaccurate) that don't include bundles.

Halo 4 sold worse than Reach. Halo 5 has sold less than half of Halo 4.

Consistent performance, yes, consistently downhill.

Dynomutt

Obviously. I'm surprised people took you seriously. Man, people are fired up about tomorrow! Gaf may shut down.

Have you seen any Mosquitoes today gamz?

Also how would you feel if:

1.) Scorpio supported variable resolutions with Freeze sync including 21:9.A

2.) A HD mic is built into the controller for full on voice integration.

Ridiculous spin here. You arbitrarily decide to include Halo 5 bundle numbers (which are a total asspull by your own admission) against previous titles LTDs (which are inaccurate) that don't include bundles.

okay now i can't tell anymore if this is great sarcasm or serious :O

Dynomutt

Having said that, I'll put my hand up. I was one of those who was very confident it would have Zen.

Your not alone. When Phil kept on pushing premium I thought this was going to be a Alienware micro console ala MS. I also thought MS was going to fully abandon the Xbox One name but they have integrated it into this generationless approach well.

LowSignal

I feel like #2 would have me muting everyone because I can hear them blasting their TV's sound.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It was a joke to try and lighten the mood a bit lol. I am truly intrigued by Scorpio though I think it'll probably outpace the Pro by a good margin. People seem very excited for it and I know I am.

According to Sony, pro is 1-in-5 of PlayStation sales. And PlayStation is selling 2:1 vs Xbox one. So if Scorpio only *matched* pro, it'd need to be selling 40% of all Xbox sales. And if you think it'll outpace pro by 'a good margin' then you'd be looking at Scorpio being 50-60% of total Xbox sales. I just don't see that happening when the largest sales are driven by the value boxes at this phase in the generation

gamz

What you mean about mosquito posts? I'd love number 2.

? No? Welfare was pulling numbers out of his ass

yeah sure. that were estimates he stated
but including bundle copies a spin?

if you would exclude certain copies sold like that, Gran Turismo franchise sales would be below 50 million units
not to mention the fact, that today 95% of all consoles sold* are bundled with a game
all those Uncharted, Battlefield 1, Call of Duty and Fifa sales don't count?

*in the US - number could vary per region

Dynomutt

What you mean about mosquito posts? I'd love number 2.

People who can't stay away from the E3 hype it's too good. They keep coming back.

I'm shocked we haven't had any leaks. Phil probably has a pile of tranquilizer bodies somewhere at MS headquarters.

Chitown B

Halo 1 5.5M
Halo 2 8M
Halo 3 12.1M
Halo 4 9.75M
Halo 5 5M

He's actually not wrong tbh and that doesn't include the spin offs and remasters. Halo reached its peak with Bungie and 343i is killing the franchise.

Halo 5 had the record of fastest selling Halo game and then word of mouth on how shit it was killed the rest of the sales imo.

They're not killing it. People have way too many games to play these days. It's not 2007 anymore. H5 is a great game that I don't have the time to play.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Are they still going the virtualization route on the OS? I never understood how that could be good for performance in any way.

I believe it's beneficial because it csn suspend each OS in real time thus giving all resources to the OS that needs it.

Trup1aya

Holy shit guys. Total hyperbole from both sides of the discussion.

A lot of People absolutely DO "give a shit about halo".

But interest in the series is hovering dangerously close to an all-time low.

But this low is still more than most franchises can manage to sell on a single platform.

All we know is Halo's sales are somewhere north of 5m. Its a massive decline from the 10-12 mil from previous entries, which is deeply troubling, yet its still a massive number in and of itself. It also generates a ton of money.

Halo needs to reverse this alarming downward trend, but it isn't dead.

Welfare

Lol what?

How does including bundles equal me being arbitrary? Literally every game includes bundle sales. Also I assume bundle sales added ~1M more with the game selling ~1M standalone in the 17 months since launch. Maybe I'm not being "HALO IS DAD GUYS LOL" enough.

There is no evidence 4 sold less than Reach. Halo Reach was at 7M units before Halo 4 launched, and Halo 4 sold over 4M in one month and was the fastest selling Halo title in the US up to June 2013.

To further prove this, the Halo series sold an additional 10M units between December 2012 and October 2014, so before the MCC launch. It's pretty clear Halo 4 is responsible for a large part of that 10M, so really Halo 4 probably is at >10M by now. Legacy sales of Halo 3, ODST, Wars, Reach, CEA, and new sales of Spartan Assault would contribute to that 10M, and at best, Reach makes up 2M of that (which is probably and very likely impossible) but either way, Halo 4 is still higher than Reach, just add 1M more to each in my post.

Also how are my LTD inaccurate anyway? I don't source chartz and you just saying I'm wrong doesn't mean I am.

Halo Reach, 4, and 5 sold worse than 3, 4 more than Reach, and Halo 5 has yet to surpass Reach.

kadotsu

Banned
This may sound like flamebait but when EA pushed the Anthem reveal into MS' conference my first thought was: "Fuck, less time for 1st party games", which is stupid but I hope to see some fire tomorrow and not a partnership parade.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
This may sound like flamebait but when EA pushed the Anthem reveal into MS' conference my first thought was: "Fuck, less time for 1st party games", which is stupid but I hope to see some fire tomorrow and not a partnership parade.

Remember... Xbox conference is running past their time. Spencer's latest comments suggest around 15 minutes longer than usual

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Your not alone. When Phil kept on pushing premium I thought this was going to be a Alienware micro console ala MS. I also thought MS was going to fully abandon the Xbox One name but they have integrated it into this generationless approach well.

This is why anyone thinking $499 is crazy.

For all intents and purposes, this thing has effectively the same arts as a Pro. From a manufacturing perspective, this thing will cost basically the same as a Pro to make. Which launched a year earlier at $399 at a profit.

There is simply no way known this thing is launching a year later for a cent over $399

For all intents and purposes, this thing has effectively the same arts as a Pro. From a manufacturing perspective, this thing will cost basically the same as a Pro to make. Which launched a year earlier at $399 at a profit.

There is simply no way known this thing is launching a year later for a cent over $399

I hope you're right

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

I don't think you can box it in so easily though. Sure the CPU is the same, but it has unique differences from Pro (more ram, vapor cooled cooling system, each system individually tested to produce the exact right of electricity...if you take the Digital Foundry stuff at 100% face value) and even the XB1 S (no ESRAM, which was expensive...but more ram than a Pro. Different architecture style from the XB1. Apparently as small as an S?)

And there is certainly such a thing as perceived value. Making it a premium price above Pro gives it an allure of a high end box, much like the $150 Elite controller compared to a $60 controller. MS is not shy from going high end with XB1 and even their current Surface line.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I don't think you can box it in so easily though. Sure the CPU is the same, but it has unique differences from Pro (more ram, vapor cooled cooling system, each system individually tested to produce the exact right of electricity...if you take the Digital Foundry stuff at 100% face value) and even the XB1 S (no ESRAM, which was expensive...but more ram than a Pro. Different architecture style from the XB1. Apparently as small as an S?)

And there is certainly such a thing as perceived value. Making it a premium price above Pro gives it an allure of a high end box, much like the $150 Elite controller compared to a $60 controller. MS is not shy from going high end with XB1 and even their current Surface line.

One S is about to drop to $199.

$399 is incredibly Premium in comparison. Hell, $349 is premium compared to $199.

Most of the cost of Scorpio would be in R&D. Not manufacturing. I'd be surprised if they factored R&D into the price to the point where they price it out to die.

DopeyFish

$399 is incredibly Premium in comparison. Hell, $349 is premium compared to $199.

Most of the cost of Scorpio would be in R&D. Not manufacturing. I'd be surprised if they factored R&D into the price to the point where they price it out to die.

Actually royalty of AMD chips would be quite high at launch

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

I still say $449. It would be stupid of them not to, because it will still sell out this holiday.

Holy shit guys. Total hyperbole from both sides of the discussion.

A lot of People absolutely DO "give a shit about halo".

But interest in the series is hovering dangerously close to an all-time low.

But this low is still more than most franchises can manage to sell on a single platform.

All we know is Halo's sales are somewhere north of 5m. Its a massive decline from the 10-12 mil from previous entries, which is deeply troubling, yet its still a massive number in and of itself. It also generates a ton of money.

Halo needs to reverse this alarming downward trend, but it isn't dead.

exactly... finally a bit of common sense

According to Sony, pro is 1-in-5 of PlayStation sales. And PlayStation is selling 2:1 vs Xbox one. So if Scorpio only *matched* pro, it'd need to be selling 40% of all Xbox sales. And if you think it'll outpace pro by 'a good margin' then you'd be looking at Scorpio being 50-60% of total Xbox sales. I just don't see that happening when the largest sales are driven by the value boxes at this phase in the generation
Ah didn't think of it like that tbf.

Kevin

So I'm trying to install Phantom Dust in anticipation of the Scorpio unveil but my Xbox One S 2tb is telling me I don't have the space for it. Game is under 10gb and I have about 915gb left. Any idea what the issue is?

DopeyFish

Xbox One dropping another $50 according to Kotaku. That $400 Scorpio price seems even more certain now me thinks.

If MS was really ballsy, imagine if they had $349 as their price. Sony would have absolutely zero momentum with a $50 price cut.

_SAKY_

If MS was really ballsy, imagine if they had $349 as their price. Sony would have absolutely zero momentum with a $50 price cut.

That would cool for fans but perhaps, to an extent, financial suicide for the Xbox division. Selling a mid-gen upgrade at loss is not going to win the generation for MS. Mindshare for this gen belongs to Sony. I say they should save such tactics for the beginning of the next gen.

DopeyFish

That would cool for fans but perhaps, to an extent, financial suicide for the Xbox division. Selling a mid-gen upgrade at loss is not going to win the generation for MS. Mindshare for this gen belongs to Sony. I say they should save such tactics for the beginning of the next gen.

The largest impact to this gens consoles cost is royalties to AMD.

All they'd be doing is paying them a lump sum upfront.

Just imagine $2b charge assuming 30 mil sales. MS takes immediate financial hit but then they net higher profitability via increased userbase.

They'd need approximately $70 per user to break even. Half gets XBL... attach rates are 8:1 or higher.

It's only a risk if hardware failures occur again.

And if rolling generations are a thing it puts them in strong position moving into next iteration.

Jumeira

Banned
So how soon after the MS presser do we think this is going to go up for pre-order on Amazon?
Really nervous about this, don't want to miss out on the initial batch no matter if the risk is low, I'm going to be sweating bullets on Amazon hoping it to pop up.

Day 0 fingers crossed.

Not going to work, this is an outdated mode of thinking. The days of the generational hard resets of install bases are over; third-parties hate it and they're holding the cards in the industry these days. I'm sure there will be a "PS5" but it won't play exclusively PS5 games, and PS4pro will be able to play games that are released after PS5 comes out, for instance. Everything from here on out is iterative.

Not going to work, this is an outdated mode of thinking. The days of the generational hard resets of install bases are over; third-parties hate it and they're holding the cards in the industry these days. I'm sure there will be a "PS5" but it won't play exclusively PS5 games, and PS4pro will be able to play games that are released after PS5 comes out, for instance. Everything from here on out is iterative.
So much hyperbolic statements in your post.
I'll write 2 points as to why you're wrong. All info is available through Google or NeoGAF and Reddit.

1) Both MS and Sony have come out and outright stated (go look it up) that there will be next generation consoles just like every other that came before.

2) Both MS and Sony have outright stated there will NEVER be exclusive Pro or Scorpio games no matter what. These consoles are just to bridge the gap between the current and next gen consoles.

Both of these statements directly contradict what you just posted but if you have an insider info please do share. If not then please don't spread bollocks around like it's the truth.

Edit: Oh and no... Third parties do not hold any cards. Without Sony and MS they wouldn't have customers to sell to. Please point me in the direction to where any third party stated they don't like generations. Last gen they were crying out for the next gen consoles so your statement doesn't add up I'm afraid.

There will be a next gen, Pro and Scorpio will not play PS5 and Xbox Next games and that'll be that.

iMax

1) Both MS and Sony have come out and outright stated (go look it up) that there will be next generation consoles just like every other that came before.

2) Both MS and Sony have outright stated there will NEVER be exclusive Pro or Scorpio games no matter what. These consoles are just to bridge the gap between the current and next gen consoles.

Microsoft hasn't said either of these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom