• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much hyperbolic statements in your post.
I'll write 2 points as to why you're wrong. All info is available through Google or NeoGAF and Reddit.

1) Both MS and Sony have come out and outright stated (go look it up) that there will be next generation consoles just like every other that came before.

You should just provide sources for this point, save everybody else looking it up individually.

Heretic

The largest impact to this gens consoles cost is royalties to AMD.

All they'd be doing is paying them a lump sum upfront.

Just imagine $2b charge assuming 30 mil sales. MS takes immediate financial hit but then they net higher profitability via increased userbase.

They'd need approximately $70 per user to break even. Half gets XBL... attach rates are 8:1 or higher.

It's only a risk if hardware failures occur again.

And if rolling generations are a thing it puts them in strong position moving into next iteration.

Don't get my hopes up, man...

Charcoal

Does anyone have any experience buying a console from Gamestop at launch? I'm trying to decide if I want to sell my GS gift card to Cardpool for Amazon credit, but I'll lose $30 if I go down that road.

yurinka

You should just provide sources for this point, save everybody else looking it up individually.
He doesn't need to provide sources for a well known fact mentioned multiple times by Sony and MS. In any case it's the one who says the opposite mentioned by Sony and MS who should provide sources to back that.

greenmind

Banned
I am Day 0 as well, but I need to trade in my two Xbox Ones and my One PS4 day one. I have a nintendo mini that I could get $250 for which is crazy, but I am gonna hold on to that and hope they dont make more.

big_z

Getting excited for Scorpio after listening to the waypoint e3 podcast. According to Patrick and Austin who broke the pro news devs were down about the pro but are apparently very positive on Scorpio so it'll be interesting to see why.

Fingers crossed for $349 and a $150 trade up credit...

Xenoflare

Getting excited for Scorpio after listening to the waypoint e3 podcast. According to Patrick and Austin who broke the pro news devs were down about the pro but are apparently very positive on Scorpio so it'll be interesting to see why.

Fingers crossed for $349 and a $150 trade up credit...

$349 US sounds too extreme, $399 is already pretty up there. But with the $199 One S a $399 wouldn't be that off.

Just hope it's $499 CAD and a good trade-in deal for the One S, if that is the case I'm all set, though I won't be holding my breath.

big_z

$349 US sounds too extreme, $399 is already pretty up there. But with the $199 One S a $399 wouldn't be that off.

Just hope it's $499 CAD and a good trade-in deal for the One S, if that is the case I'm all set, though I won't be holding my breath.

The Canadian dollar is why I'm hopping for $349. The Pro for what it's worth is overpriced here but Microsoft has been better with pricing and has done decent trade in programs.

ElNino

It'll probably be a set trade-in promo (at EB at least) for any "current" gen console (ie. Xbox One, PS4, Xbox One S), similar to the PS4 Pro deals. I'd rather keep my One S and trade in the Day One for the Scorpio.

Xenoflare

The Canadian dollar is why I'm hopping for $349. The Pro for what it's worth is overpriced here but Microsoft has been better with pricing and has done decent trade in programs.

Spencer did stress the fact that Scorpio is a premium console, but on the other hand if Microsoft wants to undercut Sony they could price it lower to your $349 point but I think that's way too big of a loss.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
This is not true.

Sure it is.

Console company pays AMD money for R&D costs ($300-500-ish million) and gets a license of the IP. Console company then takes design to fab, pays costs directly for manufacture.

AMD gets royalties based on age and units made. Age dictates how much they're getting multiplied by the amount of units they had manufactured. (so it allows for descending costs due to selling model)

Also it's heavily frontloaded so that AMD extracts their value.

http://www.gamechup.com/amd-explains-how-it-aims-to-generate-revenue-from-console-business/

i mean... they don't even hide that's what is done. for XB1, MS has been buying the chips. (I assume due to protect themselves from the 360 failure rates from happening again) They were previously licensing and can do it again to crush cost of build.

big_z

Spencer did stress the fact that Scorpio is a premium console, but on the other hand if Microsoft wants to undercut Sony they could price it lower to your $349 point but I think that's way too big of a loss.

$349 compared to $199 regular Xbox S still says premium to the average consumer. Microsoft wants the market back and I'm sure they know Sony is holding a $50 price cut in mind depending on what they announce. Microsoft has the opportunity to put the squeeze on Sony here, I'm just hoping they're viscous enough to take it.

Kuro

$349 compared to $199 regular Xbox S still says premium to the average consumer. Microsoft wants the market back and I'm sure they know Sony is holding a $50 price cut in mind depending on what they announce. Microsoft has the opportunity to put the squeeze on Sony here, I'm just hoping they're viscous enough to take it.

They're not going to take a big hit like that for something that will probably be supply constrained. They know the faithful will buy up most of the stock at launch just like with the Pro. They can begin price dropping when sales inevitably slow down.

need for speed has been 30 fps on consoles forever, no?

going to 4K 60 fps is too hard if they're targeting 1080p 30 fps on Xb1/PS4

I believe so

My comment is mainly directed towards the people who believe the custom secret sauce non-Jaguar but still a Jaguar CPU would provide drastic improvements in framerate over whats seen on the Pro.

2 options ?

1080p 60 and 4k 30

Possible but doubtful. It would depend what on the devs prioritize. I'd imagine it would look like a different game if they favored framerate over eye candy.

DopeyFish

I believe so

My comment is mainly directed towards the people who believe the custom secret sauce non-Jaguar but still a Jaguar CPU would provide drastic improvements in framerate over whats seen on the Pro.

Possible but doubtful. It would depend what the devs prioritize. I'd imagine it would look like a different game if they favored framerate over eye candy.

Has nothing to do with the CPU.

Just in raw terms, trying to shift a 1080p30 game to 4K60 would be ~8x the computational workload (4 times the resolution, 2 times the framerate)... just remember scorpio is about 5x

So if it's a 30fps game on XB1, it'll likely be 30fps in 4K on scorpio. If it's a 60 fps game on XB1, it'll likely be 60fps in 4K on scorpio.

May not always be the case if CPU dependent, but should usually be.

I believe so

Possible but doubtful. It would depend what on the devs prioritize. I'd imagine it would look like a different game if they favored framerate over eye candy.

It's a need for speed game. No sense pouncing on every game that isn't 60fps. What happens when Forza 7 is 60? Fact is different teams have different priorities.

Poppyseed

It's gonna be $399. I can feel it. I can feel it I tells ya!

$449 at most.

It better be $399. It's the only price that makes sense. XBONE S is now $199, so $499 is not going to cut it. Also, PS4 Pro will almost certainly get a price cut this holiday season to compete with Scorpio. So a $499 Scorpio will look plain ridiculous next to a $349 PS4 Pro, more power or otherwise.

DopeyFish

It better be $399. It's the only price that makes sense. XBONE S is now $199, so $499 is not going to cut it. Also, PS4 Pro will almost certainly get a price cut this holiday season to compete with Scorpio. So a $499 Scorpio will look plain ridiculous next to a $349 PS4 Pro, more power or otherwise.

The OneS isn't going $199. The $50 thing is only for bundles so it's price is going to be $249

1) Both MS and Sony have come out and outright stated (go look it up) that there will be next generation consoles just like every other that came before.

There will be a next gen, Pro and Scorpio will not play PS5 and Xbox Next games and that'll be that.

He doesn't need to provide sources for a well known fact mentioned multiple times by Sony and MS. In any case it's the one who says the opposite mentioned by Sony and MS who should provide sources to back that.

However you're both wrong. Why the aggression, both of you? Just chill a bit. MS have said there will be consoles after Scorpio but that the idea of "generations" and resets is dead.

Source (one of many):

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-talks-xbox-scorpio-and-the-end-of-consol/1100-6442774/

"For us, we think the future is without console generations," ... "But we'll see. We're going to learn from this, we're going to see how that goes.... If the games and the content deliver, which I think they will do, I think it will change the way we think about the future of console gaming."

EBreda

Eventually Scorpio is gonna be the base model and the next Box will be again a powerhouse. That's what I get from MS messaging. No more resets at all. Libraries carry over forever.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
However you're both wrong. Why the aggression, both of you? Just chill a bit. MS have said there will be consoles after Scorpio but that the idea of "generations" and resets is dead.

Source (one of many):

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-talks-xbox-scorpio-and-the-end-of-consol/1100-6442774/

"For us, we think the future is without console generations," ... "But we'll see. We're going to learn from this, we're going to see how that goes.... If the games and the content deliver, which I think they will do, I think it will change the way we think about the future of console gaming."

Not sure why they're dogpiling on you - this generationless approach by MS has been known for a while.

"Don't need to provide sources"...give me a break.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Eventually Scorpio is gonna be the base model and the next Box will be again a powerhouse. That's what I get from MS messaging. No more resets at all. Libraries carry over forever.
Phil has stated he's not interested in totally doing away with traditional hardware generations and that the Scorpio situation is kind of an outlier for them. I expect there will be an all new and cutting edge system comb probably in 2021 or so .

That said I fully expect Scorpio to be the main (base) platform for Xbox by late 2018.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
There will be a next gen, Pro and Scorpio will not play PS5 and Xbox Next games and that'll be that.

You know, even though Sony and MS has said there will be no Pro or Scorpio exclusive games, it wouldn't be the first time a big games corporation has lied. Or changed their tune. It just depends if either install base will end up large enough for it to be smart business.

Xenoflare

That reminds me, did MS mention anything about the games that runs sub 1080p? DA:I for example. I don't think those games will receive a resolution jump without a patch.

I do hope it fixes the 24fps Sleeping Dogs tho, yes yes I know PC version is a thing

wachie

Sure it is.

Console company pays AMD money for R&D costs ($300-500-ish million) and gets a license of the IP. Console company then takes design to fab, pays costs directly for manufacture.

AMD gets royalties based on age and units made. Age dictates how much they're getting multiplied by the amount of units they had manufactured. (so it allows for descending costs due to selling model)

Also it's heavily frontloaded so that AMD extracts their value.

http://www.gamechup.com/amd-explains-how-it-aims-to-generate-revenue-from-console-business/

i mean... they don't even hide that's what is done. for XB1, MS has been buying the chips. (I assume due to protect themselves from the 360 failure rates from happening again) They were previously licensing and can do it again to crush cost of build.
Read your own link.

AMD spells it out clearly. The royalty model was for 360 and Wii and they have now switched to manufacturing model.

big_z

That reminds me, did MS mention anything about the games that runs sub 1080p? DA:I for example. I don't think those games will receive a resolution jump without a patch.

I do hope it fixes the 24fps Sleeping Dogs tho, yes yes I know PC version is a thing

Anything with a dynamic resolution will run at the max. So for example battlefield 1 should be 1080p 60fps.

But if a resolution was set by the developer then it will max out at that without a patch.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
IIRC last years conference leaked during the dress rehearsal. The year before that, someone pressed the upload button on Xbox.com before the conference and we got full Halo and Forza details.

So it's not too late for everything to blow up. :p

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I feel like this is everyone when I talk about Scorpio's price.

3PzS2xH.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom