• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S confirmed? (alleged leaked controller packaging says yes!)

Kinda partial to this style personally

x3PjxV3.png
Cant see either of those designs working. We already saw the parts inside. Rumors are that Series S has just a weaker GPU and maybe no disk drive. They cant just cut the Xbox series x in half horizontally because the parts wouldnt fit in. The fan would take up 40% of the system. Also the vertical cut doesnt make much sense because they would need to use 2-3 small fans on top. I think it will be just like the Series X from with the size in every direction reduced a little bit and one smaller fan on top. They wont spend much development time to make a different cooling system, arangement of the hardware parts.

joe_zazen

There's confusion where you have to explain
- Why is this 1080p device better than all these other, cheaper ones, with more games on them? Good luck explaining CPU/SSD to a parent
- The X is actually better in GPU and RAM quantity. Explain why some 4K devices are actually not as good as this 1080p one
- "Where did this come from? I just heard of Series X, is this a knock-off?"
- You can't just point to games because everything is going to be cross-gen
- All the names are very similar, and give no indication on improvements/changes (unlike Switch or PS5 which are clearly distinct)

You're imagining a pretty roset scenario where
A) The parent knows they want a new XBox, and isn't just waltzing in on some vague hint from the kid
B) They know they have a 4k tv (you'd be surprised how many don't)
C) They know they'll never buy a 4k tv for the next 7 years
D) The sales guy can explain it perfectly (I've already had them get the name wrong, repeatedly)

Sprinkle this with XBox's dead brand in most of Europe and RoW, where people are going to barely get any advertisement or store space for it + the fact that MS is refusing to market it at all, despite it being clearly a tougher sell.

lack of MS acknowledgment that S even exists makes me think it will hurt the brand in some way. Lack of focus? Make xbox look cheap and crappy like low end phones do for android? Games will look and play crappy on the system, so have to hide it? Idk, but there is a reason it is hidden.

joe_zazen

PC gaming has been a thing for a very long time.

Also the difference between the S and X is supposedly basically the power needed to go from 1080p to 4K, so the exact same game will run on both consoles, just at different resolutions (and maybe framerates).

Have there been rumours of that? I haven't seen any, and it doesn't make sense. Why would MS make two 10-12TF consoles? The leaks have all been that the S is a next gen @ 1080p console, the X is next gen @ 4K. The PS5 will be next gen with reconstructed 4K/1440-1800p.

But what do you mean by that? What gameplay loops do you think there could be that have required the power that these consoles have? You're just going to get more or bigger versions of what we have had for the last decade. There's not going to be some magical new style of gameplay that needed x teraflops to be possible. Resolution, framerate, graphical quality and scale are the only things that are going to change. Storytelling/characterization especially has nothing to do with power or new architectures.

the more powerful rumor is that the xss cpu is a slight upclock over ps5. So worse ssd, memory, and gpu with a 2% better cpu.

I feel like if you don't include a controller, you will piss people off. I think many would be angrier about $65 after the fact, or an unplayable Christmas gift, than simply having the system be $50 more or something.

True but I'm thinking they're banking on lots of buyers already having an Xbox controller to plug into it. Or getting those sales from unsuspecting parents.

Zoro7

Banned
It’s leaked now they might aswell come out an announce it.
I still think the lineup is a mess. You have the One, One X, Series S and Series X. I know the first two are discontinued now but they are stilling running games for the next 2 years.

All with differences in power. You need to be a nerd to know the differences.

MrFunSocks

Banned
lack of MS acknowledgment that S even exists makes me think it will hurt the brand in some way. Lack of focus? Make xbox look cheap and crappy like low end phones do for android? Games will look and play crappy on the system, so have to hide it? Idk, but there is a reason it is hidden.
The One X GPU isn’t better than what the S will have. Completely a generation apart. The TF count isn’t the same across the generations and architectures.

Schmick

shit.... theres wars about controllers too!?

I'm looking at my DS4 and Xbox Controller.... nothing. I feel nothing. Just a means to play some games. I even switch around when i'm playing on PC.

Schmick

It’s leaked now they might aswell come out an announce it.
I still think the lineup is a mess. You have the One, One X, Series S and Series X. I know the first two are discontinued now but they are stilling running games for the next 2 years.

All with differences in power. You need to be a nerd to know the differences.
Why would you have to worry about the differences. Surely its only a concern when you go to the shop to buy one and besides just like you said One, One X have been discontinued and no doubt the One S will be too very soon.

Too much drama about the naming convention.

Lets hope that parents dont get the PS5 and PS5 Digital only mixed up. They basically look the same!

PC gaming has been a thing for a very long time.

Also the difference between the S and X is supposedly basically the power needed to go from 1080p to 4K, so the exact same game will run on both consoles, just at different resolutions (and maybe framerates).

Have there been rumours of that? I haven't seen any, and it doesn't make sense. Why would MS make two 10-12TF consoles? The leaks have all been that the S is a next gen @ 1080p console, the X is next gen @ 4K. The PS5 will be next gen with reconstructed 4K/1440-1800p.

But what do you mean by that? What gameplay loops do you think there could be that have required the power that these consoles have? You're just going to get more or bigger versions of what we have had for the last decade. There's not going to be some magical new style of gameplay that needed x teraflops to be possible. Resolution, framerate, graphical quality and scale are the only things that are going to change. Storytelling/characterization especially has nothing to do with power or new architectures.

I came across some info here in gaf that mentioned Series S Cpu is way more powerful than PS5 or something like that

sandkiller

Imagine if the Series S is indeed 199 and it can play 3P games with similar quality to PS5 (specially GaaS type games) with the benefit of the Gamepass?

That's a scenario where I can see it eating into Sony's plan...

FunkMiller

Gold Member

I think you’re dismissing the idea of gaming innovation to try and rationalise designing new games for older or weaker tech. I don’t know what new gaming innovation could happen in the next gen, because I’m not a game designer, but I will remain dubious about any game designed to run on both weaker and stronger console architecture.

Having said all that, if I see great games running on Series X or Series S that I can’t play on Ps5, I will very probably buy one or the other.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I think you’re dismissing the idea of gaming innovation to try and rationalise designing new games for older or weaker tech. I don’t know what new gaming innovation could happen in the next gen, because I’m not a game designer, but I will remain dubious about any game designed to run on both weaker and stronger console architecture.

Having said all that, if I see great games running on Series X or Series S that I can’t play on Ps5, I will very probably buy one or the other.
PCs have existed for a long time yet there has been no groundbreaking gameplay systems that required state of the art hardware. Gameplay just isn’t something that’s being held back other than in terms of scale, and even then scale hasn’t been a problem for a while.

the last game that really pushed anything was crysis, and it was pretty much graphics and physics.

Last edited:

TBiddy

There could potentially be an issue with games designed for both Jaguar and Ryzen and HDD/SSD, but when we're talking purely GPU power (which we're doing with regards to XSX/XSS), I can't think of anything that would be 'held back'.

Zoro7

Banned
Why would you have to worry about the differences. Surely its only a concern when you go to the shop to buy one and besides just like you said One, One X have been discontinued and no doubt the One S will be too very soon.

Too much drama about the naming convention.

Lets hope that parents dont get the PS5 and PS5 Digital only mixed up. They basically look the same!

For people who aren’t in the know, this is a clusterfuck. When did I bring up the PS 5? Not sure why you’re bringing that up.

Marketing these consoles has been a shit show for Microsoft.
The series S got leaked by the packaging of a controller. Which begs the question if everything is ready why not just announce the console?

Imagine if the Series S is indeed 199 and it can play 3P games with similar quality to PS5 (specially GaaS type games) with the benefit of the Gamepass?

That's a scenario where I can see it eating into Sony's plan...

Consider other bits of hardware - even the One S digital version wasn't that cheap, and $199 is what the Switch Lite costs, or just over what 3 Xbox controllers would cost. Way too cheap for a next gen system. There is just no way it will be $199 unless it is bundled with something like a mandatory 2 year Gamepass Ultimate sub.

Last edited:
Consider other bits of hardware - even the One S digital version wasn't that cheap, and $199 is what the Switch Lite costs, or just over what 3 Xbox controllers would cost. Way too cheap for a next gen system. There is just no way it will be $199 unless it is bundled with something like a mandatory 2 year Gamepass Ultimate sub.
Only way Series S could hit $199 is with a 500GB SSD and no controller.
But why would Microsoft do that? $299 for next gen is already a bargain
The fucking Switch is $299

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

We already have a developer on the record saying Lockhart wont be a problem as it shares the SSD and GPU family.

trikster40

wonder what its going to be priced at 🤔? Imagine Series X is 100 dollar cheaper then PS5(disc version) and series S is 200 dollars cheaper. that would make things really interesting.

Sony learned from PS3 to never be more expensive than your competitor. Well, hopefully they did.

Microsoft sure did. Well, I hope they did.

I expect both consoles to be the same price.

Schmick

For people who aren’t in the know, this is a clusterfuck. When did I bring up the PS 5? Not sure why you’re bringing that up.

Marketing these consoles has been a shit show for Microsoft.
The series S got leaked by the packaging of a controller. Which begs the question if everything is ready why not just announce the console?
Because the subject is 'marketing confusion'. I brought up a valid point about the PS5 and the PS5 DO.

Theres another event in August we'll probably know more about the S then.

Mmnow

I agree it isn't good that it hasn't been mentioned, but let's be realistic here. It's been said a million times.

You can't announce a Series S without announcing the price for the Series X, and Microsoft doesn't want to announce the price of the Series X until they can hammer home that it's cheaper than PS5.

It's ridiculous marketing and lack of price at this point is bizarre for both consoles, but I'd say that's the most obvious reason the Series S isn't officially announced yet.

Gaz

you don't NEED batteries, you have the OPTION to use them.
and there is literally no negative about this.

want to use AA batteries? you can!
want to use AA rechargeable batteries? you can!
want to use the official rechargeable battery pack? you can!
want to use the vast array of third party battery packs? you can!

as opposed to:
want to use AA batteries? NOPE you can't!
want to use AA rechargeable batteries? NOPE!
want to use the official rechargeable battery pack? you can! but you will never be able to replace it without killing you warranty!
want to use the vast array of third party battery packs? NOPE!

if you can criticize anything about how Microsoft is handling this it is maybe the pricing of the controller in combination with a play and charge kit, that's maybe a bit too high, but the concept is absolutely perfect.

Great post and yeah I seriously don't get the complaints about the batteries at all. I actually prefer them and am glad they exist. I mean look at how utterly shit the DS4's battery life was. If anything, those AA batteries would have been useful there so you didnt spend most of your time being tethered to the console.

Dane

[/QUOTE]
you don't NEED batteries, you have the OPTION to use them.
and there is literally no negative about this.

want to use AA batteries? you can!
want to use AA rechargeable batteries? you can!
want to use the official rechargeable battery pack? you can!
want to use the vast array of third party battery packs? you can!

as opposed to:
want to use AA batteries? NOPE you can't!
want to use AA rechargeable batteries? NOPE!
want to use the official rechargeable battery pack? you can! but you will never be able to replace it without killing you warranty!
want to use the vast array of third party battery packs? NOPE!

if you can criticize anything about how Microsoft is handling this it is maybe the pricing of the controller in combination with a play and charge kit, that's maybe a bit too high, but the concept is absolutely perfect.

I tought it was ridiculous back in the day, then I got a PS4 and realized why people are in favor of it, the DS4 charge lasts way less than a diposable battery, DS3 was said to have a very long charge, plus including the choice of removing and replacing batteries is something good, IMO they just should have added a play and charge kit for the console package.

mckmas8808

Banned
Great post and yeah I seriously don't get the complaints about the batteries at all. I actually prefer them and am glad they exist. I mean look at how utterly shit the DS4's battery life was. If anything, those AA batteries would have been useful there so you didnt spend most of your time being tethered to the console.

Is it that hard to plug up your controller to the console when you finish playing a game?

supernova8

Banned
Cant see either of those designs working. We already saw the parts inside. Rumors are that Series S has just a weaker GPU and maybe no disk drive. They cant just cut the Xbox series x in half horizontally because the parts wouldnt fit in. The fan would take up 40% of the system. Also the vertical cut doesnt make much sense because they would need to use 2-3 small fans on top. I think it will be just like the Series X from with the size in every direction reduced a little bit and one smaller fan on top. They wont spend much development time to make a different cooling system, arangement of the hardware parts.

I wonder if they would bother with a different size. Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper manufacturing-wise if they just had a black Series X and a white Series S but have the dimensions the same? Same way that the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro are identical aside from the camera on the back.

DaGwaphics

Is it that hard to plug up your controller to the console when you finish playing a game?

For me, it's more about the controller disconnecting during gameplay. I like to just grab a couple more eneloops and keep playing wirelessly.

I guess the street date just got broken on these or?

If the X|S on the manual is legit, it would appear they have to announce soon if they were bringing these controllers to market before the console.

For me, it's more about the controller disconnecting during gameplay. I like to just grab a couple more eneloops and keep playing wirelessly.

If the X|S on the manual is legit, it would appear they have to announce soon if they were bringing these controllers to market before the console.

Wasn't there a rumor that this would launch before PS5?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

A lot of looting has taken place in Chicago last 24 hours or so probably why these are leaking there.

NickFire

I'm glad we have confirmation finally, but is anyone else kind of shocked that we have confirmation by way of retail leaks in early August??????????????

Maybe its perfectly normal for a next generation retail product to leak even though it has not been announced yet, but its causing me to wonder if MS is playing coy as to Holiday 2020. Labor Day is a holiday and not too far off.

Banned
I'm glad we have confirmation finally, but is anyone else kind of shocked that we have confirmation by way of retail leaks in early August??????????????

Maybe its perfectly normal for a next generation retail product to leak even though it has not been announced yet, but its causing me to wonder if MS is playing coy as to Holiday 2020. Labor Day is a holiday and not too far off.

it could mean that Microsoft will launch way sooner than we expected?
what if they launch next month for example? do it like the phone manufacturers roll these days, reveal pricing and release date only weeks ahead of launch?

who knows

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
Why would anyone want to buy 1080p console in 2020 and beyond? Even on 1080p TV there is very big difference between PS4Pro/X1X and base consoles. Microsoft botched one console generation and they learned nothing apparently.
The same reason people buy phones, laptops and many other consumer electronics that only support 1080p.

Many PC gamers only play 1080p games because 1440p/4K displays are super rare and super expensive.

Literally every other product under the sun has tiered options to cater to price-conscious consumers.

Last edited:

T-Cake

Wasn't there a rumor that this would launch before PS5?

September even - if COVID hadn't happened.

To be honest, I'm kind of expecting Microsoft to have an event at GamesCom where they say "Guess what. You can get your hands on Xbox Series S|X in two weeks time!"

Last edited:

NickFire

it could mean that Microsoft will launch way sooner than we expected?
what if they launch next month for example? do it like the phone manufacturers roll these days, reveal pricing and release date only weeks ahead of launch?

who knows
I think it is definitely possible that this launches way earlier than expected with a cell phone vibe. Would make sense to me if software is available. A couple months head start could be huge.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Form follows function. The Series X's form factor is strictly for cooling. A smaller chipset wouldn't need as much cooling and thus would have a more traditional shape.

Geruda065

Judging from this image.Since there is no Series S in it. What if Series S is the same shape and form as Series X just all white? Probably not but just a thought
yrF5ef8.jpg

Last edited:

splattered

Either that or it's somehow a positive surprise that they haven't decided to show yet.

Top Bottom