• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S confirmed? (alleged leaked controller packaging says yes!)

T-Cake

I think it is definitely possible that this launches way earlier than expected with a cell phone vibe. Would make sense to me if software is available. A couple months head start could be huge.

Plus I don't think any of the manufacturers have been using units at home this far in advance of launch before. To have the hardware ready and then be in testing for almost 11 months is a bit mad.

Alx

I wonder if they would bother with a different size. Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper manufacturing-wise if they just had a black Series X and a white Series S but have the dimensions the same? Same way that the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro are identical aside from the camera on the back.

It would make sense for production costs, but the huge size of SerieX isn't exactly something buyers would want, and if there's a possiblity to have a smaller form factor for the less powerful console, it would help its sales too. Also maybe it could be used for the "SerieX slim" when it comes to that. :p

Banned
Cant see either of those designs working. We already saw the parts inside. Rumors are that Series S has just a weaker GPU and maybe no disk drive. They cant just cut the Xbox series x in half horizontally because the parts wouldnt fit in. The fan would take up 40% of the system. Also the vertical cut doesnt make much sense because they would need to use 2-3 small fans on top. I think it will be just like the Series X from with the size in every direction reduced a little bit and one smaller fan on top. They wont spend much development time to make a different cooling system, arangement of the hardware parts.

it's hard to say.
but first of all, if they make it discless then that would immediately free up a ton of space inside the system

remove RAM chips and shrink the APU a bit would make it possible to shrink the motherboard.

less CUs means less heat means smaller heatsink.

less CUs and less RAM = lower power system = smaller PSU

so there is a ton of room for size reduction. as the heatsink is gigantic and the disc drive takes up a lot of space as well, while almost every other component can be shrunken down.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I’ll ask this here, as it got lost in the next gen thread:

Is it definite that the Series S is discless and digital only? Or are we still waiting on an official announcement to know?

...only I need a new 4k blu ray player, and a Series S would be a great inexpensive option if it had one.

CAB_Life

They better have fixed the goddam drifting joysticks this iteration. Happened on 2 controllers and even and elite controller (though wasn’t as bad). You can fix it by removing the clips inside but then the L3/R3 presses get spastic and sometimes stick.

Mmnow

Is it definite that the Series S is discless and digital only? Or are we still waiting on an official announcement to know?

...only I need a new 4k blu ray player, and a Series S would be a great inexpensive option if it had one.
It's not announed yet, but there's that really obvious gap on all the box art we've seen so far. It'd be weird to put Series S on a box if it was discless.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's not announed yet, but there's that really obvious gap on all the box art we've seen so far. It'd be weird to put Series S on a box if it was discless.

Good stuff. Fingers crossed it will have 4k blu ray. That will pretty much guarantee a sale to me, if the rumoured price is anywhere near true.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Nothing is confirmed about the Series S in terms of it being discless. But all signs point to it being discless. (various rumors support this)

One S has a 4K Blu Ray Player if you want the console aspect but you can find 4k players around $200 if you hunt pretty hard. There was just a refurb sale on a sony 4K player for $50.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Nothin gis confirmed about the Series S in terms of it being discless. But all signs point to it being discless. (various rumors support this)

One S has a 4K Blu Ray Player if you want the console aspect but you can find 4k players around $200 if you hunt pretty hard. There was just a refurb sale on a sony 4K player for $50.

Yeah, I’ve looked at a One S... but was obviously hoping a Series S would have blu ray too, as I can run next gen games on it, as well as use it for movies. My Sony 4k is still going, but I’m getting the odd issue here and there, so want an upgrade in next few months. Series S would do the job nicely.

mortal

Banned

guess the street date just got broken on these or?

EfEO0s1XoAM80rL

dd0.jpg

Don't rule out there being more than one other Series:

Series S: Small (no disc)
Series D: Disc drive
Series X: X gon give it 2 ya

You heard it here first. I'm serious.

Allandor

Judging from this image.Since there is no Series S in it. What if Series S is the same shape and form as Series X just all white? Probably not but just a thought
yrF5ef8.jpg
Xbox series S(tream) ;)

You don't need a 4k image if you just stream the games from the internet. 1080 is more than enough for streaming. Everything else would just to bandwidth heavy or be to noise-sensitive for the compression.

Yeah, I’ve looked at a One S... but was obviously hoping a Series S would have blu ray too, as I can run next gen games on it, as well as use it for movies. My Sony 4k is still going, but I’m getting the odd issue here and there, so want an upgrade in next few months. Series S would do the job nicely.

Considering Xbox One Digital was discontinued, we should expect Series S to replace both SAD and One X at the same time

Iced Arcade

I still can’t get my head around how you can design and program games that take full advantage of the Series X’s power, but will also run on this less powerful console.
Almost like PC hasn't had minimum and recommended setting for decades without a hitch.

CamHostage

So, I guess the Xboxes now go Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One... Xbox Series? Or just Xbox again?

I think it's kind of a dumb name but kind of a smart name, as it gets off the numbering scheme and naming battle and just says, an Xbox is an Xbox from now on.

It's a little weird thought that they jumped to Series X with the "launch" model "alongside Lockhart" S), as that doesn't give room to stretch as upgen upgrades (because maybe there is no "midgen" if this is the "last generation Xbox" and everything will just follow the PC model of having some technological landmark points but still mostly relying on scaling to determine whether a game will or will not play on your home console.)

When the time comes, will we get an Xbox Series XX? Xbox Series X2? Xbox Series Y? (And then, would the Lockhart-style version of that be the Xbox Series SS? Series SX? Series S2? Xbox Series T?)

Don't rule out there being more than one other Series:

Series S: Small (no disc)
Series D: Disc drive
Series X: X gon give it 2 ya

I'm totally in for Series P: Portable.

nobody knows yet. but I would suggest going for series x.
since you need 4K bluray, it means you got a nice panel. and if you ever want to play some xbox games on that panel, do the right choice

Chittagong

Gold Member
So, I guess the Xboxes now go Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One... Xbox Series? Or just Xbox again?

I think it's kind of a dumb name but kind of a smart name, as it gets off the numbering scheme and naming battle and just says, an Xbox is an Xbox from now on.

It's a little weird thought that they jumped to Series X with the "launch" model "alongside Lockhart" S), as that doesn't give room to stretch as upgen upgrades (because maybe there is no "midgen" if this is the "last generation Xbox" and everything will just follow the PC model of having some technological landmark points but still mostly relying on scaling to determine whether a game will or will not play on your home console.)

When the time comes, will we get an Xbox Series XX? Xbox Series X2? Xbox Series Y? (And then, would the Lockhart-style version of that be the Xbox Series SS? Series SX? Series S2? Xbox Series T?)

I'm totally in for Series P: Portable.

Series P?

Kokoloko85

Reminds me of the 360 days and the Xbox 360 core package.

Series S is either:

A Steaming Machine
A portable ( what Id like. All your Xbox games old and new on the go )
A Xbox series X core? Like no controller, no disc drive, no harddrive or really small HDD?
Or the lower spec machine which has been rumoured.

skneogaf

Interested to see how many people buy this as most people have 1080p screens so it should be popular as I believe games will be 1080p and maybe more on one or two titles.

I see Xbox fans getting excited at the possibility of a series S and I have to ask, are you a real Xbox fan or just shilling for MS?

Nobody, not one gamer across this beautiful Earth should be wishing for a launch console to be less powerful console to launch side by side with a powerful console because "some people can't afford it"

I've never known any fan, fanboi or warrior to want 'their' company to launch a weak console. Insanity.

IF the series S is real, I see it being phased out within 18 months of launch. This is Kinect all over again; chasing a crowd instead of being the trend setters.

Man this shit makes me mad*

*within the context of gaming, not an irl mad.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I see Xbox fans getting excited at the possibility of a series S and I have to ask, are you a real Xbox fan or just shilling for MS?

Nobody, not one gamer across this beautiful Earth should be wishing for a launch console to be less powerful console to launch side by side with a powerful console because "some people can't afford it"

I've never known any fan, fanboi or warrior to want 'their' company to launch a weak console. Insanity.

IF the series S is real, I see it being phased out within 18 months of launch. This is Kinect all over again; chasing a crowd instead of being the trend setters.

I think most Xbox fans never wanted this thing to come out.

I'm both an Xbox fan and a Playstation fan.. and have been wishing this thing was a rumor or cancelled the entire time, I know I'm not alone.

do your homework first, then call people "shills".
its not "weak".
same cpu, same ssd, but gpu good for lower than 4k resolution.
it will be offered with options for a low monthly payment (20-30), including game pass.

I can see many people liking that.

Banned
Reminds me of the 360 days and the Xbox 360 core package.

Series S is either:

A Steaming Machine
A portable ( what Id like. All your Xbox games old and new on the go )
A Xbox series X core? Like no controller, no disc drive, no harddrive or really small HDD?
Or the lower spec machine which has been rumoured.

we know pretty well what Series S is, the leaks have been pretty straight forward.

same CPU with same clock speeds

GPU with fewer CUs with a performance between 4 and 5 TF (the exact number depends on their final clock speed decision which can change up to the very end)
-this targets to run Series X games at 1/4 to 1/3 of the resolution of the same game running on Series X. so basically ~1080p

Same GDDR6 RAM but less of it.

the only real unknowns are if it has a disc drive or not, most speculate that it has no disc drive

Last edited:

CamHostage

Almost like PC hasn't had minimum and recommended setting for decades without a hitch.

I get what you're saying, and think in general the style of set-top gaming boxes is at a point where scaling makes sense (though there are advantages to doing things the dedicated way too, especially with consumer-oriented hardware specs and a limited number of model upgrades over time) ... but then again, you said the words "without a hitch" then went on to describe a game that just launched with a whole slew of unfortunate hitches.

Maybe if you spend $2g building a PC, you're used to relatively few hitches (with those hitches being more nitpicks than actual problems,) but for those of us who generally go for more affordable PCs (or particularly if you're on general laptop hardware,) I feel like we're pretty used to PC games having hitches, and you either futz with your PC for ages getting all the drivers and updates and crap or you just roll with it because you're too cheap to buy elite hardware that will get you into the "without a hitch" realm. To be fair to PCs, console games have a lot of hitches to them too if a game isn't optimized, and PCs have come a long way, but I've bought some pretty modestly-specced games and have been hitched to hell with them on my PC devices.

Also, just look at the "Minimum Requirements" for Horizon:
  • MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K@3.3GHz or AMD FX 6300@3.5GHz
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 (3 GB) or AMD Radeon R9 290 (4GB)
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 100 GB available space
That's a lot of letters and numbers, half of which are mostly-meaningless corporate acronyms to replace the previous meaningless corporate acronym. (At least NVidia has been pretty consistent in incrementing its cards by the hundredths and now thousandth, though they do sometimes take cards and "rebrand" them to a lower number, like when a bunch of the GT 700 line was rebrand to be GT 600 cards. And its mobile card counting system has lapped itself once or twice.) Even Intel's attempt to simply things with the i3/i5/i7 model was quickly rendered moot because each generation of chips is different. And although it seems like it'd be simple to just have a Steam feature that automates everything to just read in your specs and check it against the Min/Rec Reqs (the way Google Play store does for the wide variety of Android Phones, and I would imagine Apple does the same for iPhone,) the recommended process for buyers to verify before purchasing on Epic GameStore and to my knowledge Steam is to open up your preferences and read a comparison chart manually. Sure, it's not that hard once you get used to knowing the specs that matter and have some experience in knowing how your PC runs, but

And, just for reference, here's the specs check process for console gamers:

MINIMUM:
  • PlayStation 4

Ideally, the same will go for Series X (and it is rumored that this is the whole point of Lockhart, to offer "minimum viability" without ever breaking the console gen spec. Everything will run on both, just Series X will do it at Max and Series S will run it at Min.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Hardcore gamers, maybe not. Parents, though, absolutely they want a cheaper Xbox, if their kid isn't going to be a pain about it. Dual-console gamers too; I'm mostly a PlayStation guy, but if I could throw a Series S on the shelf for cheap, I could totally fuck with Forza Horizon and Everwild. International gamers also, where the price is much rougher against their currency these days. Or, I don't know, people who have been in and out of jobs for the past 8 months due to an international pandemic, but are supplementing just enough to be able to afford one little bit of light in their world with a launch of the console they've been waiting so long for...

Price matters a whole ton to the larger gaming audience. It just does.

PS3 and 3DS both struggled with their elite-level prices, but when the prices dropped, they became competitive choices for the market (with some pack-ins.) Xbox One, same thing, it would have been a nightmare if they had stuck with the original pricetag and Kinect (though I personally like Kinect a bit, more as a multi-tool than a game-playing device, and not at that pricetag.)

Price matters, and because price matters, it matters to gamers. Any fan, fanboi, or warrior, they'll change their tune real quick if their console gets less support because it's priced too high and is not selling. Like, Nintendo fans have always existed, but there sure seemed to not be many of them around when the Wii U was failing, but now that Switch is a blockbuster, they're coming out of the goddamned walls...

Also, the way they're doing Series X/S (supposedly) is pretty ingenious, where they're launching the Pro and Standard models simultaneously without any impact on one another's software quality besides one outputting at a lower resolution or whatever. Will believe it when I see it (and I'm curious how much that'll actually knock off the price, because if Series X is $499 or more and Series S can't come in way under that, that's just too high for my impulse buy,) but it seems like a modern way to come to market at first glance.

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

lack of MS acknowledgment that S even exists makes me think it will hurt the brand in some way. Lack of focus? Make xbox look cheap and crappy like low end phones do for android? Games will look and play crappy on the system, so have to hide it? Idk, but there is a reason it is hidden.
It really is that simple.
If MS had a very good, yet very cheap system at 1080p, they would have shown it off from the start, as Sony did with the PS5DE.

I feel that the problem they want to avoid dealing with is the inevitable confusion the Series S will generate, as well as having to talk constantly about how much worse your games will look after being shown.
Imagine if they had to explain how much uglier Infinite would look on Lockhart after how poorly it was received.

Tulipanzo

You do know that the new Xbox’s will be fully backwards comparable so will have as many games as the older console day one
If it doesn't have new games, then what's the point in buying a new box? Somebody with an X1S or X1X will be able to play the same games, possibly better on X1X.
It's a product of XBox's cross-gen approach, but a Series S will offer basically nothing over a X1. The CPU/SSD(?) are not an easy sell to the hypothetical parent people were bringing up.

All parents need to know is its the new xbox and one of them is cheaper. Do you really think the average electronics purchaser is unfamiliar with the terms 1080p and 4K?
You'd be surprised, but still there's plenty of 1080p devices that will have more marketing, more games, and be cheaper than the Series S by launch. Again, no exclusives kill the concept dead on arrival.
Cheaper variants routinely sell worse, because nobody buying a new console goes for the worse model.
It's why the Switch Lite sold worse, and even the 20GB PS3, despite the latter being correctly lambasted for its cost.

It's like you live in a world where smartphones aren't a thing. Children don't end up with the latest iPhone every year because the parent doesn't understand that there are cheaper options, and how that scales in terms of features.

Even if you got the dumbest customer and the dumbest sales assistant, they could probably just about work out two skus, they could work out cost and they could work out how new the device is.

You seem to be under the impression someone looking for the new thing might accidentally buy a seven year old PS4 instead of the Series S. That isn't going to happen.
You're again considering a perfect retail setup. It's very likely that to clear out stock a certain box would be pushed over another. For example, very easily, stores having to clear out unsold X1SADs and X1Xs, which would be rapidly depreciating and be on massive sales. Really, a scenario where both costumer and worker are on the same page as you proposed is very unlikely.
Plus, in most countries the more popular boxes (Switch and PS5) will obviously get more push.

The phone market is massively different from the console market, from pricing, to marketing, no naming conventions, to audience, down to how you even purchase one.
Phones are a necessity, and their feature set reflects that. My high-end phone would be unsuitable for people that need a smaller phone, or older folks that want an easier experience. The variety of the customer base is reflected in the device.
The console market is far more enthusiastic, and better performance at a reasonable price point is always the goal.

By phone standards still, the XBox offering is pathetic.
They have:
- The newest and best, but with no exclusive features to boast
- An objectively far worse version of the above, with 0 marketing
- The decrepit old model, still cheaper and plays the same stuff
- A better version of the old model, which might be better and cheaper for 4K than the new cheap one, but I guess it's discontinued?
It's like if Apple offered the Iphone 11 Pro Max, a butchered version of the same, or the IPhone 5. Actually, at least Apple uses numbers so you can tell which is newer.

You keep saying "this 1080p device" as if that is on the packaging. No, it's simply Xbox Series S not Xbox 1080p Device. If the kid can't specify that he/she wants a Series console and not the One, then maybe they deserve to get the One. Also, there are things called return policies. The kid wouldn't even open the box when he unwraps the gift unless he's a moron. If the sales clerk can't say, yes, these are the latest Xbox products then they should be fired. Man, you guys make the simplest shit seem so confusing. LOL

Also, like phil said, the XSS will play all Xbox One games.
I'm glad you agree with me that MS's marketing is needlessly confusing. In your ideal scenario the wrong console is bought and has to be returned because even the kid hates it.

No it won't.
The Switch and PS4 are both going to be cheaper, have way more titles and established reputation, and also operate at 1080p.
A next-gen system lacking most next-gen features isn't going to appeal to the PS5/XSX demographic, but it just looks like a shittier option when far more competent and cheaper systems are already on the market.

DarkLite

Banned
If it doesn't have new games, then what's the point in buying a new box? Somebody with an X1S or X1X will be able to play the same games, possibly better on X1X.
It's a product of XBox's cross-gen approach, but a Series S will offer basically nothing over a X1. The CPU/SSD(?) are not an easy sell to the hypothetical parent people were bringing up.

I think you have no idea what you are talking about and how the market works. As if Casuals will get a $499 console at launch. No, they will wait several years anyway, and then there will be a lot of exclusive games worth upgrading the console for.
And yes, XSS will provide a better experience, since it's using a brandnew CPU (that is faster than the PS5 CPU) and also using an SSD, so shorter loading times etc., which is a huge advantage compared to X1X.
Also, by then there will be plenty of exclusive games.

You'd be surprised, but still there's plenty of 1080p devices that will have more marketing, more games, and be cheaper than the Series S by launch. Again, no exclusives kill the concept dead on arrival.
Cheaper variants routinely sell worse, because nobody buying a new console goes for the worse model.
It's why the Switch Lite sold worse, and even the 20GB PS3, despite the latter being correctly lambasted for its cost.
You know that we have a huge economic crisis for the next couple of years going on right? And gaming is a luxury, so offering a cheaper model is a good way to deal with this crisis.
And the price is THE most of important factor when buying a new console, there are a lot of surveys that confirm that, that was the number one reason PS4 sold so many units in the beginning, because it was $100 cheaper.
Same as PS3 was a huge flop at the beginning because it was way more expensive than X360 and yes X360 was way cheaper and sold better in the beginning.

You're again considering a perfect retail setup. It's very likely that to clear out stock a certain box would be pushed over another. For example, very easily, stores having to clear out unsold X1SADs and X1Xs, which would be rapidly depreciating and be on massive sales. Really, a scenario where both costumer and worker are on the same page as you proposed is very unlikely.
Plus, in most countries the more popular boxes (Switch and PS5) will obviously get more push.

What are you talking about? Clear out unsold units? When was this happening? And can you clear out SOLD units?

The phone market is massively different from the console market, from pricing, to marketing, no naming conventions, to audience, down to how you even purchase one.
Phones are a necessity, and their feature set reflects that. My high-end phone would be unsuitable for people that need a smaller phone, or older folks that want an easier experience. The variety of the customer base is reflected in the device.
The console market is far more enthusiastic, and better performance at a reasonable price point is always the goal.

Again, you are confusing hardcore gamer/early adaptors to casual gamers.

They have:
- A better version of the old model, which might be better and cheaper for 4K than the new cheap one, but I guess it's discontinued?
Again, casuals don't give a shit about casuals especially in the phone market. Do you really think people will buy an android because it has an exclusive game? lol
And the exclusive will come.
Objectively far worse version? Not really. XSS will play the games in lower res, if you don't have a 4K TV you won't see a difference.
Old model playing the same stuff? Not really, there are already two games at launch that are XSS/XSX only. And of course shorter loading times, etc.
A better version of the old model? It's a complete new architecture, you can't compare it at all. New SSD, new CPU etc. if you by that standard we shouldn't buy any new console at all.

The Switch and PS4 are both going to be cheaper, have way more titles and established reputation, and also operate at 1080p.
A next-gen system lacking most next-gen features isn't going to appeal to the PS5/XSX demographic, but it just looks like a shittier option when far more competent and cheaper systems are already on the market.

It's not lacking any next-gen feature, it just runs all games in 1080p compared to 4K. Everything else is the same. What is so hard to understand about it?
It does not look shittier, if you have a 1080p Screen.

It's super easy to understand:
4K Screen = go with XSX
1080p Screen = go with XSS.

Games will look the same.

Sony

Nintendo
The Switch and PS4 are both going to be cheaper, have way more titles and established reputation, and also operate at 1080p. A next-gen system lacking most next-gen features isn't going to appeal to the PS5/XSX demographic, but it just looks like a shittier option when far more competent and cheaper systems are already on the market.

• The Switch is a different segment altogether.
  • Why would the PS4 have 'way more titles' than the Series S? The Series S will be backward compatible with Xbox One games and will most likely support next-games that are currently confirmed to be exclusive to Series X, logically at lower graphics settings. So if anything, Series S will have more games than PS4.
  • Lacking most next-gen features? The only next-gen feature that it is likely to lack is ray-tracing. Other than that, it is said that it shares the Series X architecture (RDNA 2, Zen 2 etc., SSD).
So how on earth will it be seen as a PS4 competitor? You're quite out of touch if you genuinely think that. Especially if future third party games will release on Series X, Series S and PS5 consoles only.

DarkLite

Banned
It really is that simple.
If MS had a very good, yet very cheap system at 1080p, they would have shown it off from the start, as Sony did with the PS5DE.

I feel that the problem they want to avoid dealing with is the inevitable confusion the Series S will generate, as well as having to talk constantly about how much worse your games will look after being shown.
Imagine if they had to explain how much uglier Infinite would look on Lockhart after how poorly it was received.

What are you talking about? No, MS is focusing now on Hardcore gamers and early adaptors. Most casual gamers don't give a shit about all those events and don't even know what E3 is, why should they shift the focus? Doesn't make any sense.
It could also easily be that they want to offer a much cheaper console than Sony. Why should they go ahead and give them any insights? This would be stupid.

And no it will not create any confusion at all. Again:

Customer: Hi, I want a new console.
Employee: Do you have a 4K TV or a FULL HD TV?
Customer: Just Full HD, not interested in 4K for the next couple of years.
Employee: Great, go with XSS, it's designed for FULL HD TVs, no need to waste resources and money on stuff you don't even use at all and won't even see on your screen.

Done.

Tulipanzo

• The Switch is a different segment altogether.
  • Why would the PS4 have 'way more titles' than the Series S? The Series S will be backward compatible with Xbox One games and will most likely support next-games that are currently confirmed to be exclusive to Series X, logically at lower graphics settings. So if anything, Series S will have more games than PS4.
  • Lacking most next-gen features? The only next-gen feature that it is likely to lack is ray-tracing. Other than that, it is said that it shares the Series X architecture (RDNA 2, Zen 2 etc., SSD).
So how on earth will it be seen as a PS4 competitor? You're quite out of touch if you genuinely think that. Especially if future third party games will release on Series X, Series S and PS5 consoles only.
You're already trying to avoid the fact the Switch will likely outsell the Series S handily, despite them being closer in price and an obvious power advantage.
The PS4 shares most of the Series S's library, is also at 1080p, will be much cheaper come year end, and has 7 years of titles.
For people not looking for the improvements of next-gen, chief among which is 4K, the choice is far from clear.

Again, the issue we're having here is that MS has refused to market the Series S at all, so we don't know which customers it might be going for.
Still, if the aim seems to be for people whose primary concern is money, then those people don't buy next-gen systems for quite a while, especially if they don't have any new games.
If you just want to play Halo, then you are fine with any XBox, and won't buy a Series S. By the time XBox starts getting exclusives then:
1) 4K adoption will be even higher (it's already over 50% as of last year)
2) The XSX/PS5 will be lower in price still, making a worse box an odd decision

To be frank, the thing needs to be way cheaper than MS seems to want to spend on it for it to be relevant in the 1080p space, and hopelessly outmatched by the proper next-gen systems.

THE DUCK

Banned
I'm sincerely confused at:

-People on this forum that don't get the idea that some people can't afford $500
- People on this forum that think more than one game system can't survive at once (um, switch...Xbox, ps4, xbox one x, ps4 pro.......all on the market at once, it's already been done)
- People on this forum that write off ms as totally clueless, failed at xbox one, and have no chance going forward. This is a multi billion dollar profitable company that has huge resources and brand recognition. The battle is far from over, it's really just getting warmed up.

Mmnow

They have:
It's like if Apple offered the Iphone 11 Pro Max, a butchered version of the same, or the IPhone 5. Actually, at least Apple uses numbers so you can tell which is newer.

I'm glad you agree with me that MS's marketing is needlessly confusing. In your ideal scenario the wrong console is bought and has to be returned because even the kid hates it.

You're having to work really hard to make a scenario where this is confusing. Not just to me, but all your replies. You're wrong, by miles.

I'll repeat my original point, because you seem hell bent on ignoring it. People aren't as stupid as you think they are.

But it's fine, if in November there are a bunch of kids accidentally getting soldering irons and toastie makers instead of a Series S, I'll admit I was wrong.

Tulipanzo

What are you talking about? No, MS is focusing now on Hardcore gamers and early adaptors. Most casual gamers don't give a shit about all those events and don't even know what E3 is, why should they shift the focus? Doesn't make any sense.
It could also easily be that they want to offer a much cheaper console than Sony. Why should they go ahead and give them any insights? This would be stupid.

And no it will not create any confusion at all. Again:

Customer: Hi, I want a new console.
Employee: Do you have a 4K TV or a FULL HD TV?
Customer: Just Full HD, not interested in 4K for the next couple of years.
Employee: Great, go with XSS, it's designed for FULL HD TVs, no need to waste resources and money on stuff you don't even use at all and won't even see on your screen.

Done.
I mean, it's obvious you don't work in retail, but this is just getting farcical.
Most people will be aware of PS5 and XSX, but have no idea about a far worse system that has only existed in rumors, Marketing still exist to make people want something, and MS has done nothing to make people want Lockhart, and the confusion can be easily seen.

This confusion is not exclusive to MS, ofc. People will get a PS5DE and discs in the same store, because you can only do so much. Some people aren't as involved as us, and will be ignorant of very obvious stuff.
You're also waaay overestimating poor retail workers.

An actual conversation I had, for example:
E: You can make a reservation for next-gen consoles, a PS5 or the XBox One Series X
Me: That's not right
E: I'm sorry, the XBox Series One X
Me: I'm good, thanks

Tulipanzo

You're having to work really hard to make a scenario where this is confusing. Not just to me, but all your replies. You're wrong, by miles.

I'll repeat my original point, because you seem hell bent on ignoring it. People aren't as stupid as you think they are.

But it's fine, if in November there are a bunch of kids accidentally getting soldering irons and toastie makers instead of a Series S, I'll admit I was wrong.
At retail, MS will have:
- Old 1080p console
- New 1080p console
- Old 4K console
- New 4K console
All with the same naming conventions, same design language, even the same box for games (it's just XBOX).
You have to be willfully obtuse to pretend this is easy to understand for anyone but you and me.

Just a simple example.
Is the Series S going to play games at X1X settings? It's got a better CPU, but a sligthly worse GPU (even accounting IPC gains), and less RAM overall. This is the kind of confusion that MS has done nothing to clear up, yet it will fall on overworked, overstressed retail workers, often trying to just clear out stock, to solve. Yet you expect no problems to arise

Top Bottom