• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 2 official Japanese twitter account and website thread

Xenoboy

hqdefault.jpg

Kaizer

Banned
Man, this is beginning to feel like a Shin Megami Tensei game with all of the differing Blade designs - I really dig it.

Fireblend

Banned
Man, this is beginning to feel like a Shin Megami Tensei game with all of the differing Blade designs - I really dig it.

Said the same exact thing earlier and stand by those words. I really love how despite how "inconsistent" the designs themselves are, they're being unified and translated really well through the rendering cel-shaded style of the game.

Really looking forward to seeing more of these.

DemWalls

Do we have a list of the Artists who are contributing to this game? It is pretty expansive

I don't think so, but in the footage from Milan Games Week someone said something along the lines of "they had every renowned artist in Japan design a Blade". Clearly that's an exaggeration (I doubt the game will have thousands of Blades), but the list will probably be quite long.

Harpoon

Do we have a list of the Artists who are contributing to this game? It is pretty expansive

Masatsugu Saito - Main characters and artwork
Tetsuya Nomura - Torna Empire (Titan, NPC's, etc)
Kunihiko Tanaka - Blade Finch
Nakaba Higurashi - Blade Uka
M Hakus - Blades Azami and Kubira

Yasushi Suzuki did Vasara's design, and taiki (can't really find an informative page on him?) did Hotaru's.

Also, I think Torna's more an Illuminati-style organization than it is an empire from the way they've described it; Mor Ardain's more the empire with how it's annexing other Titans.

The number of Blades is kinda overwhelming for me already, as someone who has 100% every Xenoblade game so far. Hope they are not too difficult to track down.

CGiRanger

Banned
Also, I think Torna's more an Illuminati-style organization than it is an empire from the way they've described it; Mor Ardain's more the empire with how it's annexing other Titans.
Good point. I'll edit that from now on.

These are some pretty cool graphics to me. Its like cel shaded but its not?
Yeah, the new shaders that they're using in the engine I think makes the characters look so much better than what Monolith has shown in previous games.

I mean, it has come along so much from this:

And especially THIS:
79sSO39.gif

I like the potential for this Blade to be a double element of Fire and Ice. Like it starts out one element and when you switch off, the element changes, which adds an additional layer of complexity to the Blade Switches.

I don't think we do, but it's been reiterated that a lot of artists lent their hand to the game to make character designs, apparently not unlike how Let it Die got a ton of different bands to make songs for the game. While the art is inconsistent, the cutscene animation and shading style of the game seems to make it work better than one would think.

tsundoku

do we know if this game has dual audio
im interested in having a large jrpg for one of the worse winter months but i cant deal w that dub

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Good point. I'll edit that from now on.

Yeah, the new shaders that they're using in the engine I think makes the characters look so much better than what Monolith has shown in previous games.

I mean, it has come along so much from this:

And especially THIS:
79sSO39.gif
I really never thought Lin looked that bad, especially after playing the game

Yeah, Lin's character design isn't the problem. It was more-so her obnoxious consistent personality that made me resent the fact that she must always be present for any story progression, etc.

Fireblend

Banned
im interested in having a large jrpg for once of the worse winter months but i cant deal w that dub
We don't have confirmation either way. I don't mind the dub (plus it's the norm in RPGs that the dub sounds awful leading up to release and ends up being great or at least ok) but it'd be nice to have.

Fireblend

Banned
Its cool if they don't want my sale. If the japanese version has english text i'll just buy that but even Zelda managed to get dual audio.
I don't think they're doing it to spite you personally, what an odd way to look at it. Still, we don't know. It wouldn't surprise me if it did.

Akai

I would absolutely love at least having an optional download for the japanese audio track, as several of my favorite voice actresses have parts in the game, but nothing we've heard from the dub so far is terrible.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yeah, Lin's character design isn't the problem. It was more-so her obnoxious consistent personality that made me resent the fact that she must always be present for any story progression, etc.
I actually really enjoyed Lin and she offered a lot of brevity, except for the forced tatsu food jokes

CGiRanger

Banned
Eeeh, I thought she looked very bad in several of the cutscenes (especially the ones that repeated involving Tatsu). It's that lifeless doll-like face. Reminds me of the terrible style Tri-Ace adopted to their in-game characters of their HD games, plastic dolls.
I would absolutely love at least having an optional download for the japanese audio track, as several of my favorite voice actresses have parts in the game, but nothing we've heard from the dub so far is terrible.

Yeah, I'd like to see some receipts of the definite examples of "bad voice acting" that we've heard so far.

I mean, there are some lines that I thought were kind of eeeh, like Rex's infamous "Take Thisssss!" (really hope the in-game context is better, though it could be intentionally bad if he is supposed to try to act tough and gets swatted down by the lady Mor Ardain soldier), and some of Pyra's delivery ("That is Our Dream!" and "I wont use that power..." sound forced to me).

But nothing I've heard is to the level of Hyrule Warriors' dub. Every line I've heard in the trailers sounds like it's been phoned in.

Zolo

I think the models for Xenoblade 2 are good. For some reason, Star Ocean struggles with character models looking 'alive'.

Maxinas

Its cool if they don't want my sale. If the japanese version has english text i'll just buy that but even Zelda managed to get dual audio.

Atlus delivered by releasing a free dlc for Japenese VA in Persona 5. So it’s possible Nintendo could do the same if people complain enough.

CGiRanger

Banned
Wanted to put all the Special Blades and their Artists in one post (thanks to Almond for the gifs):

Finch - Kunihiko Tanaka
giphy.gif

Vasara - Yasushi Suzuki
giphy.gif

Hotaru - Taiki
giphy.gif

Azami - M Hakus
giphy.gif

Kubira - M Hakus
giphy.gif

Uka - Nakaba Higurashi
MLGIMNA.gif

Quite a mishmash of characters that are being put together. I would like to hope that each unique Blade will have some kind of backstory to them, as it'd be a shame otherwise. I wonder if these are acquired at random through Core Crystal Resonance, or if some Blades will be specific to certain in-game events.

Yam's

Atlus delivered by releasing a free dlc for Japenese VA in Persona 5. So it’s possible Nintendo could do the same if people complain enough.

I wrongly assumed we were in an era where dual audio was finally the norm. FFXV, Persona 5, even Zelda got it. As a non English speaker, I have a hard time listening to that kind of anime characters speaking English. Where would be the best place to ask them for a dlc? Nintendo's twitter? Monolith's?

TheMoon

im interested in having a large jrpg for one of the worse winter months but i cant deal w that dub

We don't, it's highly unlikely.

It won't.

Zelda didn't get dual audio, it was a global SKU to boot and had only a tiny amount of voiced cutscenes. X2 will milk its card's capacity to the max with just one.

I wrongly assumed we were in an era where dual audio was finally the norm. FFXV, Persona 5, even Zelda got it. As a non English speaker, I have a hard time listening to that kind of anime characters speaking English. Where would be the best place to ask them for a dlc? Nintendo's twitter? Monolith's?

Not one place. All places. Politely.

Mediking

Wanted to put all the Special Blades and their Artists in one post (thanks to Almond for the gifs):

Finch - Kunihiko Tanaka
giphy.gif

Vasara - Yasushi Suzuki
giphy.gif

Hotaru - Taiki
giphy.gif

Azami - M Hakus
giphy.gif

Kubira - M Hakus
giphy.gif

Uka - Nakaba Higurashi
MLGIMNA.gif

Quite a mishmash of characters that are being put together. I would like to hope that each unique Blade will have some kind of backstory to them, as it'd be a shame otherwise. I wonder if these are acquired at random through Core Crystal Resonance, or if some Blades will be specific to certain in-game events.

I'm throwing money at the screen but nothing is happening!!!!!

CGiRanger

Banned
Uka's design definitely made me go "huh?" at first, but it's slowly grown on me. I like that her figure seems to be more "fit" and proportional than say, Pyra and her large bust size. I also like how well her artwork actually translated into the in-game engine.

Of course, the Baten Kaitos artist Higurashi made all her designs for those games very "strange" and unique. But then again they're also quite memorable

adroit

I like that her figure seems to be more "fit" and proportional than say, Pyra and her large bust size.

Yes, strongly agree. Personally, characters (male or female) with bare skin (or fur) don't bother me at all. The only thing which exasperates me are HUMONGOUS busts on trim women. They strike me as an unflattering caricature of female anatomy.

Almond

So if the pattern continues, who do you think will be the next party member revealed for Monday's tweet?

I'm gonna go with Eyepatch Guy and then his Blade Hikari (I'm assuming) tomorrow. They're the only other characters from the art work that we haven't gotten any details on yet.

Harpoon

So if the pattern continues, who do you think will be the next party member revealed for Monday's tweet?

I'm gonna go with Eyepatch Guy and then his Blade Hikari (I'm assuming) tomorrow. They're the only other characters from the art work that we haven't gotten any details on yet.

Isn't Hikari the blonde Blade, or was that never confirmed?

Top Bottom