• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

Menitta

Even if this series didn't need support I'd be day 1. These games are too good. I'm partially bummed Kiwami is getting localized because I was gonna get it at a con next weekend if it wasn't but my joy outweighs it.

Seiryoden

I think this is actually the first Yakuza I'm not getting day one, because Gravity Rush 2 is out four days before it and Kat takes BIIIIIIG priority over Kazuma I'm afraid.

I was writing a snarky post, but you know what ? Gravity Rush is fucking awesome, Kat is a great character like Kiryu, games are expensive and this is all on Sony for not managing their calendar better. You like Japanese games? Nothing...Nothing...Nothing...Last Guardian, FFXV, Nioh, Nier, Gravity Rush 2, Persona 5. And then publishers bleat about games underperforming relative to expectations smh

Any fancyboy versions coming to Europe?

Note that I'll buy all of these to support there eventually being a 2 Kiwami so I can actually play through this series.

Hag

Took the dive when Yakuza 6 came out and just Platinumed it like a half hour ago, it wasn't easy especially not knowing Japanese but between guides, the help of others and streamers I got through it. It was great so I'll probably pick up 0 when it comes out here and enjoy a Yakuza game without having to dig so deep.

How long for the plat? I plan to Platinum 0 and 6

Backflip

I'm doing what I can to spread the good word. Back in October, I was interviewed by a French TV channel for a documentary about the mafia in video games. I kept talking about Yakuza :).

Here is the 9 minute version of the show that was posted online (when it was shown on TV it lasted 13 minutes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q76lSEooFgg

I've been telling everyone and their mother to support the franchise but I've been saying the same thing about Gravity Rush which I also love and now I'm faced with the fact that I simply can't afford 2 full price games within days of each other.
I've already scratched RE7 from my list since RE is way bigger and can survive without me but I'll be gutted if I end up not being able to support sega for localizing Y0 or sony for gambling on a sequel to a game I love so dearly.
I'm not even accounting for the fact that I wont have time to play them which is the reason I barely bought any games this year but I absolutely want to support these 2 (and Nier) but I'm not sure I'll be able to.
I'll obviously grab them eventually but Q1 is just too fucking much, I mean, this shit is insane.

delSai

Remake. Made with the Y0 engine with a completely revamped battle system and lots of new stuff for both the story and side activities.

Oh damn thats much more than i knew about it, i thought it was just better graphics and that kind of stuff.
Now i'm even more hyped!

I preordered it the very day it became available on Amazon. I'll be paying a premium on international shipping but I don't care. Yakuza is love, Yakuza is life. Yakuza 4 was my first Yakuza game, so here's an Akiyama Revelations video, because Yakuza is fun, funny and awesome. :)

Yakuza 4 - Akiyama Revelations

ZeroX03

Banned
How long for the plat? I plan to Platinum 0 and 6

Someone else posted that Yakuza 6 is a pretty simple platinum and looks like maybe 50-60 hours.

I think Yakuza 0 is one of the stupid 100% completion required games in the series that nobody should undertake.

Only 4, Kiwami and 6 are even slightly reasonable I think.

SephLuis

Considering Y2 is the greatest game of all time, it has to be coming.

Probably it is, but I think they might be spending a little more time in production.

Kiwami used a lot of things coming from Y0 and I doubt they will reuse the same things from Y6. I think they will enjoy the down time to see how they will push the series forward.

Past

This game has weird sci-fi energy knives?

I thought it was supposed to be (semi) realistic.

You won't see any of that in the story and cut scenes. The game play is over the top craziness, but the story is realistic for the most part.

CrazyHal

Most of you probably saw a couple of videos and gifs of the game where characters are quite literally trowing money in the air. What's up with that? What excatly happen in japan back then? Well, if your interested, here are 2 articles talking about the japanese economy between 1985 and 1990.

http://www.thebubblebubble.com/japan-bubble/

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...sons-from-when-the-bubble-burst/#.WGa-SMuvDqA

I think everyone will enjoy the game a bit more by having a good understanding of how life in japan was like back then.

there was a lightsaber in 2

Lightsabers have been in from the beginning - you can get some in the first game which are insanely useful when fighting Amon (you can just stun lock him over and over to beat him easy - stops him from spamming grenades at least!).

Menitta

This game has weird sci-fi energy knives?

I thought it was supposed to be (semi) realistic.

The transition into gameplay is a superpower in it of itself.

Cutscenes-OH NO HES GOT A GUN
Gameplay-
tenor.gif

Maybe he means in Europe because I only got the standard edition here.
Can't even get that.
Oh yeah, that sucks. I'm in the same boat as you guys btw :(

Thanks for the reminder I'll be preordering soon if that's available. I still have both 4 and 5 unplayed and i've played none of the other games either. Should I play 4 and 5 in that order before this? Are they both worth playing? Sorry for my noob status - I've been buying the games to support getting more of them since they need to see sales to keep releasing the series here!
Short answer:
Play Yakuza 4. Save Yakuza 5 for later parts of 2017.

Detailed answer:
Yakuza Series Starter Guide | Welcome to Kamurocho

Most of you probably saw a couple of videos and gifs of the game where characters are quite literally trowing money in the air. What's up with that? What excatly happen in japan back then? Well, if your interested, here are 2 articles talking about the japanese economy between 1985 and 1990.

http://www.thebubblebubble.com/japan-bubble/

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...sons-from-when-the-bubble-burst/#.WGa-SMuvDqA

I think everyone will enjoy the game a bit more by having a good understanding of how life in japan was like back then.

Interesting.

That looks like a cutscene.

In engine QTE technically. When you get the tigers health down below a certain point you'll get a "Feel the heat" prompt where you have to button mash to get your heat gauge to fill. Once its full you hit Triangle on the controller to pull off a special finishing heat move. Yakuza 2 has one for each boss, if you want to fight the hidden boss battles you need to make sure you perform every heat move in the game including these special heat moves (as well as fulfil many other requirements)

Xater

I'll get this and RE7 on the same day. I'll probably sacrifice Nioh for that. That game has still a bunch of question marks around it for me anyway.

The only thing that bums me out about Yakuza Zero is the included arcade games. Not that they are bad but seeing what is included in Yakuza 6 makes it look worse. lol

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'll get this and RE7 on the same day. I'll probably sacrifice Nioh for that. That game has still a bunch of question marks around it for me anyway.

The only thing that bums me out about Yakuza Zero is the included arcade games. Not that they are bad but seeing what is included in Yakuza 6 makes it look worse. lol
OutRun tho!

but yeah, 6 has better games even if there's only 2 of them...

Yakuza 5 really burnt me out even though I enjoyed it a lot. I really wish you could turn off random encounters completely since it becomes a real grind after a while. I really hope Y0 is a leaner game with less bloat than Y5.

Yakuza 5 really burnt me out even though I enjoyed it a lot. I really wish you could turn off random encounters completely since it becomes a real grind after a while. I really hope Y0 is a leaner game with less bloat than Y5.
You can do that by equipping an accessory called Beads of Good Fortune. I do agree with what your saying tho.

You can do that by equipping an accessory called Beads of Good Fortune.

Never collected that in my playthrough if I recall correctly. I just started mainlining the story after I started as the ex-baseball player because all the same sidequests (eating at restaurants for the guy, taking pictures etc) were repeating for each character.

Alo0oy

Banned
I wanna get into Yakuza, but I'm gonna wait until the Summer, I'm saving up for Nioh, Nier, Horizon, Mass Effect, and Persona (Possibly GR2, depending on how my savings plan goes).

And if we get Crash and Dark Souls 3 DLC in the Summer, then I'm sorry, I'll wait for a sale.

I will get into the series eventually when my wallet isn't being assaulted though, I can promise you that.

Never collected that in my playthrough if I recall correctly. I just started mainlining the story after I started as the ex-baseball player because all the same sidequests (eating at restaurants for the guy, taking pictures etc) were repeating for each character.
Yeah, Yakuza 5 was the worst offender in that regard within the Yakuza series. I honestly don't remember any other Yakuza game doing this. Though I haven't played them in a while.

kvn

Since there is never going to be a Sleeping Dogs 2 and I was always interested in jumping in... this will be my new thing. Would never pre-order anything, but this has basically been out for ages. So, pre-ordered.

ZeroX03

Banned
Since there is never going to be a Sleeping Dogs 2 and I was always interested in jumping in... this will be my new thing. Would never pre-order anything, but this has basically been out for ages. So, pre-ordered.

For I think the third time in a week, I'll point out this series isn't really like Sleeping Dogs at all.

It's a JRPG with a beat em up battle system. Not open world.

StereoVsn

Thanks for the reminder I'll be preordering soon if that's available. I still have both 4 and 5 unplayed and i've played none of the other games either. Should I play 4 and 5 in that order before this? Are they both worth playing? Sorry for my noob status - I've been buying the games to support getting more of them since they need to see sales to keep releasing the series here!
You should wait till Zero, play that, buy Yakuza 3 physical (unfortunately not on PSN), play that, pickup Kiwami in the summer (Y 1 remake), and then play 4,5 and 6 in early 2018. It will be Uear of Yakuza!

when I see all the hype a " fresh " start this game can get here on gaf, I really think Ishin when the drought of PS4 games was real at launch, could have sold well in the west. Ishin is a great game and the samourai setting marketing could have been easy enough

Shoeless

I know, I know. I'm just mourning.

I'd say one thing Yakuza has that is similar to Sleeping Dogs is the "virtual tourism" aspect. For anyone that's ever been to either the Japanese cities portrayed in Yakuza, or Hong Kong in Sleeping Dogs, they really nail the little details. So while it's still not as a good as actually going down yourself, it's eerie how much of it actually looks and feels right.

I still flip out every time I walk into a convenience store in Yakuza and hear that same damn door chime "ding dong" that I got so familiar with in stores while I was living in Asia. It's just those little details that sell the whole thing.

SephLuis

I wanna get into Yakuza, but I'm gonna wait until the Summer, I'm saving up for Nioh, Nier, Horizon, Mass Effect, and Persona (Possibly GR2, depending on how my savings plan goes).

And if we get Crash and Dark Souls 3 DLC in the Summer, then I'm sorry, I'll wait for a sale.

I will get into the series eventually when my wallet isn't being assaulted though, I can promise you that.

Do it like every beginner here and,jump on this train and ride it with everyone else.

With the amount of people starting the series, I think the OT will be spectacular

And I can guarantee Y0 is worth full price.

StereoVsn

Do it like every beginner here and,jump on this train and ride it with everyone else.

With the amount of people starting the series, I think the OT will be spectacular

And I can guarantee Y0 is worth full price.
Also something to think about is that this is not a short game. There is a lot of content, ton of side content, arcade games, karaoke, club management, etc... It's a really good game with great characters, fun combat and good environment to explore. Oh and the food looks great :).

Seriously , it's one of the best games that's going to come out the entire next year. So buy that.. and Gravity Rush 2 (Kat is awesome).

Menitta

when I see all the hype a " fresh " start this game can get here on gaf, I really think Ishin when the drought of PS4 games was real at launch, could have sold well in the west. Ishin is a great game and the samourai setting marketing could have been easy enough

I agree with this 100%. Ishin came out in February 2014 where the only noteworthy PS4 games were Killzone, Knack, and Infamous which came out in March. If they released Ishin worldwide day and date it easily would've sold well. FFS, I bought Thief because the only PS4 game I had at the moment was Killzone Shadow Fall. Back then I wasn't a Yakuza fan. I probably would've gotten Ishin.

Top Bottom