• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

I played through 1-5 in the first half of last year. They're all fantastic in different ways(3 is the best story, 5 is the best side content).

So of course I have Zero pre ordered. Keep these games coming!

Lucentto

Banned
I have always been interested in the Yakuza series, and this game looks like a good place to start. Unfortunately my January and subsequent months are completely filled out. I won't be able to get this game anytime soon.

ZeroX03

Banned
is it bad or just unnecessary?

I got mini game master, I can do anything now it feels like lol

It's not bad, but it's not that good either.

I would not put in the hundreds of hours to get the platinums on these games, especially when you're already quite a few titles behind. You could platinum so many more games in that time lol. Apparently Kiwami and 6 are closer to 4 in terms of platinum time (sub 100 hours) at least.

It's not bad, but it's not that good either.

I would not put in the hundreds of hours to get the platinums on these games, especially when you're already quite a few titles behind. You could platinum so many more games in that time lol. Apparently Kiwami and 6 are closer to 4 in terms of platinum time (sub 100 hours) at least.

Yeathatsjustlikeyouropinionman

ubiblu

First Yakuza game. :) I'm really excited.

How's the Platinum in this?

Congrats, it's an amazing game and was my first Yakuza game also. I've beaten five of them since :)

Platinum is doable but time consuming, and only one of the trophies is bullshiit RNG.

Elios83

I will do my part, as always with this series ;)
Pretty excited that this will also be the first PS4 Yakuza I'll play although it's a cross gen title and not truly conceived for PS4 like Yakuza 6.

Yakuza 5 only took me 126 hours to platinum, not that long really.

Never again.

Took me 140 on the dot. Only thing that dragged for me was the damn Fighting Arena 4 times over! Otherwise it was damn fun, it was more satisfying getting the 100% on this than it was basically finishing every other game last year (well, bar Bloodborne).

I love the challenge of getting 100% in these games. All but two trophies in almost all the games can be gotten just by playing the games, they are dead easy. Its just two trophies that require more work - 100%ing the completion list and the EX Hard mode trophy (which requires a second playthrough).

Personally 100%ing the games has never been a hassle for me, outside of some grinding in Ishin because that completion list was just silly (pet a cat 100 times or something, just why?). 100%ing the mini games has always been the focus for me because I absolutely love how well designed they are (bar a couple) - crane game, fishing, the various games of the arcade, host(ess) clubs/management, gambling, Karaoke and everything else in between. I was actually a bit disappointed that 6 has no real trophy associated with the completion list, bar one for completing 100 tasks on said list, which I got yesterday. Maybe its just me, but compared to the collectathons and random reptitive tasks of other 100% lists (usually in open world games) I just continually get pulled into the world of Yakuza due to the wide variety of mini games that I love and side stories that are really engaging, and end up doing most of the objectives/trophies without even trying - since most of them just revolve around you playing the mini games well, I end up getting them sooner rather than later anyway. Its only stuff like Cat Fighting in Yakuza 0 that I hated doing, that was just garbage.

is it bad or just unnecessary?

I got mini game master, I can do anything now it feels like lol

If you got Mini Game Master in 3 then there isn't anything in the series that should cause you issues. I never got MGM in 3, Baseball and Pool kept screwing me over, its been a while since I tried though so I'll have to give it another try sometime, not before I replay 4 and Kenzan though. Later completion lists are just more time consuming due to the fact that they add more and more mini games - 5 gives you a ton of new ones + new cities and another drama events. None are really all that hard though.

Tailzo

I played through Kenzan although I cannot read japanese. It was awesome. In my dream scenario, everyone should buy Yakuza 0, kiwami and 6, so we then can get Ryū ga Gotoku Ishin! someday :)

I played through Kenzan although I cannot read japanese. It was awesome. In my dream scenario, everyone should buy Yakuza 0, kiwami and 6, so we then can get Ryū ga Gotoku Ishin! someday :)

Play ishin with guides like I did. I had a wonderfull time

El-Suave

With every physical release in the West I keep wondering if I should import from the US or buy here in Europe thinking one region's sales might matter and help more than the others. Usually I end up buying locally but this time I'm importing for the preorder goodies of the US version at Amazon.com.

I've only played through Yakuza 3 and 4, but am absolutely getting Yakuza 0 this month. Been way more hyped as time went on for it that I thought I would be, and with Kiwami being a remake of the first Yakuza and getting released this summer, I just can't pass on it either. Too bad they didn't do the same for Yakuza 2 though, would have been great to play through the Yakuza most fans of the series believe is the best one.

Do I absolutely need to play Yakuza 5 before playing Yakuza 6?

This is a worthy thread. I was debating just waiting for Sega to do a PC port, but fuck it, I'll just double dip if that happens. You have my sword!

Now if only they would release a physical version of Yakuza 5 so I could have a complete row of the mainline games in the ol' game cabinet.

I've only played through Yakuza 3 and 4, but am absolutely getting Yakuza 0 this month. Been way more hyped as time went on for it that I thought I would be, and with Kiwami being a remake of the first Yakuza and getting released this summer, I just can't pass on it either. Too bad they didn't do the same for Yakuza 2 though, would have been great to play through the Yakuza most fans of the series believe is the best one.

If you had played none of the Yakuza games, then I would have said no and suggested you just play 0 and Kiwami.

But as it stands, I think you should play 5 before 0 and Kiwami, if you can. It's not necessary to enjoy 6, and 5 is a pretty big game with a LOT of stuff but it's still worth playing IMO.

Not absolutely essential though, and if you really can't fit into your schedule/budget then I wouldn't recommend going out of your way for it.

0 and Kiwami are must-plays though.

Jimrpg

With every physical release in the West I keep wondering if I should import from the US or buy here in Europe thinking one region's sales might matter and help more than the others. Usually I end up buying locally but this time I'm importing for the preorder goodies of the US version at Amazon.com.

If you want the business card holder get the US version, otherwise buy whatever is cheapest for you (EU I'd imagine). Also I don't know if there's DLC for Yakuza 0 but I think Sony requires you to download DLC from the game's region so you'd have to set up a US account if you buy the US game.

Some of the people who've played Yakuza 6 says it makes more sense if you play Yakuza 5 first, but it is 45 hours long and it really depends if you have the time.

I'm also seriously hyped for Yakuza 0. For the first time, we are getting a Yakuza game somewhat earlier in the console life cycle. While Yakuza 3 was in 2010, that was still some 4 years after the PS3 launched AND there was a huge backlash on that game from cut content that I think killed any chance of it being a success.

As much as I enjoy the Yakuza games, Yakuza 1 and 2 were kinda antiquated and pushing the PS2 to the absolute brink. It was slow and had long loading times for pretty much every encounter. Yakuza 3 was a huge step up, but by the time they got to Yakuza 5 it was feeling archaic again on 720p/30fps. Even though Yakuza 0 is a cross gen game, it's 1080/60 and it looks like a significant step up from Yakuza 5 anyway so I'm pumped.

Peroroncino

Play ishin with guides like I did. I had a wonderfull time

I still have brand new Ishin, however I'm waiting for some cutscenes and dialogues translations, KHHsubs started to work on it but currently it's on hold for whatever reason. :/ Which is a shame because playing through Kenzan understanding every cutscene was a blast.

I'll buy it just to support the series.

Own physical copies of 1 and 3, and have 4 from PS+.
Played about half of 1 and it was fun but nothing amazing, but the later entries should be better. Will go back to 1 eventually, and then need to track down a copy of 2.

Does this game have any licensed music from the 80's?

I used to be heavily invested in Japanese Pop & Indie music from the 80s until the late 90's and would love to hear some songs from back then. :D

Backflip

Yakuza 5 only took me 126 hours to platinum, not that long really.

Never again.

I still have to beat the Coliseum with Akiyama to get the Platinum Trophy (and to finish the game on Extra Hard but that shouldn't be too hard). Is there a way to do that without it taking too long? It took me quite a while to do it with the other characters. Going up the ranks and the last few fights are a pain!

Damnit, I was hoping you'd all say it wasn't necessary at all to play 5 before 6 lol. I might just watch the cinematics since my PS3 isn't plugged in anymore though, would be a lot shorter to do so too.

I still have to beat the Coliseum with Akiyama to get the Platinum Trophy (and to finish the game on Extra Hard but that shouldn't be too hard). Is there a way to do that without it taking too long? It took me quite a while to do it with the other characters. Going up the ranks and the last few fights are a pain!

No real easy way unfortunately, Akiyama straight up sucks for the arena, probably the hardest of the four to finish it with. Best thing to do is just doing the pit cage matches (1 match) against high ranked opponents and getting a ring out victory as quick as possible. That's the closest way in my experience to rise up the ranks, but then you still need to beat the end tournaments which are annoyingly difficult with Akiyama. Best thing to do from my experience is to knock an enemy to the ground, then press triangle (you need to be in red heat mode for this to work) so that you'll somersault (time it just as they hit the ground before your heat prompt appears, else you'll perform a heat move instead).
Somersaulting the downed foe will basically prevent them from getting up, so they'll be stuck on the floor forever as you chip away at their health. Takes two decades to complete a fight that way but its still easier than actually fighting some of tanks head on!

Backflip

No real easy way unfortunately, Akiyama straight up sucks for the arena, probably the hardest of the four to finish it with. Best thing to do is just doing the pit cage matches (1 match) against high ranked opponents and getting a ring out victory as quick as possible. That's the closest way in my experience to rise up the ranks, but then you still need to beat the end tournaments which are annoyingly difficult with Akiyama. Best thing to do from my experience is to knock an enemy to the ground, then press triangle (you need to be in red heat mode for this to work) so that you'll somersault (time it just as they hit the ground before your heat prompt appears, else you'll perform a heat move instead).
Somersaulting the downed foe will basically prevent them from getting up, so they'll be stuck on the floor forever as you chip away at their health. Takes two decades to complete a fight that way but its still easier than actually fighting some of tanks head on!

I was afraid that I would have to use that strategy. What bums me out is that I'll probably won't have time to Platinum the game before 0 comes out. Thanks for the info though.

I was afraid that I would have to use that strategy. What bums me out is that I'll probably won't have time to Platinum the game before 0 comes out. Thanks for the info though.

Yeah. I hunted high and low for strategies for this bit (it was pretty much the last thing I had for my 100% list) and its the only thing that worked. Just have patience for the longer arena battles and you'll be fine. Its worth spreading it out though, else you'll probably get sick of the arena!
Thankfully the arena requirements on 0 for 100% are far less grindy, and you get to fight a bear (in the arena). win win!

vypek

Didn't realize how close this game is. Will be my first Yakuza game and from the comments here it will quite possibly be a platinum that I will gladly skip over lol

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Do you still get a decent amount of trophies from completing reasonable amount of the game ?

Say 60% or so ?

Also with people saying the yakuza games take 25-40 hours to complete (main story+some side content), does the main story have a decent pace? Are cutscenes few and far between or are they decent ?

DonkeySauce

Neo Member
This might sound like a crazy question given how much other content there is in this game, but how is the mahjong mini-game? I have been trying to get into riichi mahjong but there are not tons of english games to do so with. Can anyone who regularly plays riichi mahjong comment? Thanks!

ZeroX03

Banned
Do you still get a decent amount of trophies from completing reasonable amount of the game ?

Say 60% or so ?

Also with people saying the yakuza games take 25-40 hours to complete (main story+some side content), does the main story have a decent pace? Are cutscenes few and far between or are they decent ?

You don't really get many trophies from doing the main story, but most of the trophies are little things where the majority are easy to clean up. I think you should be able to get like 80% reasonably.

There's constant cutscenes. These games are 10 hours if you skip all cutscenes and side content. Good story pacing and direction.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
You don't really get many trophies from doing the main story, but most of the trophies are little things where the majority are easy to clean up. I think you should be able to get like 80% reasonably.

There's constant cutscenes. These games are 10 hours if you skip all cutscenes and side content. Good story pacing and direction.

Like actual proper cutscenes, if so thats amazing, great to hear about the trophies too thanks

Man i need to stop asking questions, makes the wait unbearable for this game.

Damnit, I was hoping you'd all say it wasn't necessary at all to play 5 before 6 lol. I might just watch the cinematics since my PS3 isn't plugged in anymore though, would be a lot shorter to do so too.
I've heard that there is a summary of Y5 in the beginning of Y6 that brings you up to speed. Though, Shadow and others who have played Y6 can give you more details on that.

Exactly what Zero says. The game has plenty of cutscenes (especially the ending, that was long!) but its well paced and keeps hitting you with decent twists and reasons to go on. The first couple of chapters "feel" the slowest to me since its still introducing you to mechanics so its slower going. Once you clear those chapters, and especially in the second half of the game the game will come into its own - with good pace and excellent set pieces/story revelations. Thankfully as you swap between each character each couple of chapters it keeps the pace up, unlike 5 which "reset" every couple of chapters so you go through several slow parts just as the game starts to get going, its rather annoying.

For most Yakuza games, assuming you partake in side activities at least once and really explore the game world, you'll get around 75%-80% of the trophies bar the EX Hard mode and 100% completion trophies which require an additional playthrough and grinding.
Its worth noting though - Yakuza 0 is slightly different compared to past games in the series - each chapter (or every other chapter or so) has a chapter specific trophy tied to the story, some of which are rather obscure - one example of an easier chapter specific trophy that'll probably unlock for most people naturally is pulling off team up heat move attacks.
However then you have stuff like purposely letting a food item (story based item) go cold after you purchase it, or purposely failing one specific boss QTE etc. I missed around half of them and will be using my English playthrough to mop those trophies up (assuming the Japanese and English games both share a trophy list like 5 did).

I've heard that there is a summary of Y5 in the beginning of Y6 that brings you up to speed. Though, Shadow and others who have played Y6 can give you more details on that.

6 recaps the very end of 5 (basically shows the end cutscene from 5) but if your not aware of what Haruka and Kiryu have been up to in that finale you might be a little lost in the beginning (especially as to why Haruka is acting the way she is - her entire personality and her motives early on in 6 might seem a little odd for anyone that didn't play all the way through 5). You certainly won't be lost by not playing 5, but I just don't recommending skipping it.

6 recaps the very end of 5 (basically shows the end cutscene from 5) but if your not aware of what Haruka and Kiryu have been up to in that finale you might be a little lost in the beginning (especially as to why Haruka is acting the way she is - her entire personality and her motives early on in 6 might seem a little odd for anyone that didn't play all the way through 5). You certainly won't be lost by not playing 5, but I just don't recommending skipping it.

I see. So it's doable but not recommended. I guess people who don't want to play Y5 need to find and watch a recap of that game then.

I'm the one person who's preordered the game at the Gamestop in my city. I do work at that store though so I try to push people to buy it. But I think it may just be my manager and myself who buy this game. Stuff like Yakuza doesn't play well to kinda rural Texans

jackal27

Banned
Ok, so I own and have played a good amount of Yakuza 1, but I haven't beaten it. How important is the plot in these games? Should I be ok to play this one? You guys are really making me want it and usually I wait for sales on non-Nintendo games.

Tohsaka

Any ps4 pro improvements?

No, it came out before the Pro existed. It's already 1080p 60FPS on the base PS4, though.

Ok, so I own and have played a good amount of Yakuza 1, but I haven't beaten it. How important is the plot in these games? Should I be ok to play this one? You guys are really making me want it and usually I wait for sales on non-Nintendo games.

This is a prequel to the whole series, it's fine to just play it now.

I just pre-ordered mine through Amazon, and I noticed release date delivery wasn't an option. Was this the case for anyone else? I do have Prime.

jackal27

Banned
No, it came out before the Pro existed. It's already 1080p 60FPs on the base PS4, though.

This is a prequel to the whole series, it's fine to just play it now.

Ah I see. How much have the games improved since the first? I've enjoyed what I've played of the first a lot, but it's definitely clunky in some ways. Searching for things on in the city sections can be a chore.

Top Bottom