• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Aenima

It is?? Only played 3 and 4 but 3 is by far my favourite.
I enjoyed all Yakuza games, but the fact that they cutted some of the mini games out for Yakuza 3 in the west, left a bitter taste. Its still a great game to me but in the end its all a matter of opinions.

raven777

It is?? Only played 3 and 4 but 3 is by far my favourite.

It usually is. Of course, everyone has different opinions but from people I know and some Japanese people usually feel 3 is the worst (mainline) title. Not saying 3 is a bad game or anything.
Also the content cut was quite bad..

I would say 3 is easily the weakest of the Western releases, if for no other reason than the content that was cut in the localization. A Yakuza without hostess clubs is no Yakuza at all.

Yeah, 3's cut content definitely makes it the weakest. It just doesn't feel like a proper Yakuza game if I can't play mahjong, go into hostess clubs, etc.

GeoramA

Downloading now. First major PS3 game I'm playing since Stick of Truth.

I wish PS3 had a share button considering all the crazy shit that happens in these games.

I would say 3 is easily the weakest of the Western releases, if for no other reason than the content that was cut in the localization. A Yakuza without hostess clubs is no Yakuza at all.

Hostess clubs I'd say were easily to worst part of Yauza 4.

Hated every minute of it, I called one of my hostesses Pigvomit out of my dislike for them.

jorgeton

Woke up before work to play this. All these feels. Intro really was great. Low-key way to start but so well done.

I spent way too much time on Taiko Drum Master.

heringer

Guys, help me enjoy Yakuza 2.

What about this game makes people love it so much? The story I understand, it's really interesting, but everything related to gameplay is kind of bad. Navigating through the map is terrible, with the camera constantly changing and requiring control adjustment, the overall clunky movement and the shallow RPG elements. Combat never seem to change. It's fun but it gets old really fast as it's always exactly the same. Most side quests are just "go there and beat that guy".

I dunno. I remember enjoying Yakuza 3 way back, so what's going on? isn't Yakuza 2 considered the best of the bunch? Or is it just in terms of story?

Should I just skip and go straight to 4?

Does anyone know if it's possible to do the sightseeing photography quest right away or if it's something that'll need to be done over time? I don't want to spend time searching for them if it's not something you can actually complete initially.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Does anyone know if it's possible to do the sightseeing photography quest right away or if it's something that'll need to be done over time? I don't want to spend time searching for them if it's not something you can actually complete initially.

You can complete it as soon as you get it.

Tizoc

EDIT: I just added $5 to my main account so I can buy all those Yakuza 5 avatars.
I'll be left with some cash since I never buy anything from my main account, but it was $5 well spent~

https://fat.gfycat.com/HiddenLongFlatfish.webm

;_;

Sorry guys Majima Goro is forever #1 bro
majima2.jpg

What about this game makes people love it so much? The story I understand, it's really interesting, but everything related to gameplay is kind of bad. Navigating through the map is terrible, with the camera constantly changing and requiring control adjustment, the overall clunky movement and the shallow RPG elements. Combat never seem to change. It's fun but it gets old really fast as it's always exactly the same. Most side quests are just "go there and beat that guy".

I dunno. I remember enjoying Yakuza 3 way back, so what's going on? isn't Yakuza 2 considered the best of the bunch? Or is it just in terms of story?

Because it's a PS2 game and that's when a lot of us played it. $30 for a new copy when it released (yep).

Also I don't think many people would also find isometric angles confusing. Yakuza was not the only series to use that...

I don't complain about REmake or RE2 for that....

But if you find it unplayable, you may as well skip it.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

the series isnt necessarily for everyone. if these things bother you in 2 theyll bother you in 4, except the fixed angles.

Zach

I was only able to watch, like, ten or fifteen minutes of the beginning this morn but I'm exciteeeedddd. Can't wait to play the game. :D

Dio

Banned
I went into a Club Sega and immediately wasted an hour on Virtua Fighter 2 and Taiko Drum Master.

This is Yakuza, all right.

oneida

I went into a Club Sega and immediately wasted an hour on Virtua Fighter 2 and Taiko Drum Master.

This is Yakuza, all right.
i'm sad the online mode of VF2 is tucked away on the title screen. it implements a room system not present in the standalone digital release of VF2.

there seems to be a sound bug on jeffry's stage.

Having a hell of a time trying to download this. First time, it got stuck at 98%. The next time, 75%, and overnight last night, 51%.

I'm not losing HDD space each time (68gb free since I started), but I have been downloading over WiFi, which I'm pretty sure is the problem. So I switched to wired this morning and set it to DL while I'm at work.

Wish me luck!

Dio

Banned
Well, that's funny.

A host just came up to me in a brawl and said 'hey, what's up man, give me money please' in Engrish but the subtitles said something completely different. I guess it assumed I would get a Japanese sound bite and not get one I could understand clearly.

UK GAF, if you hadn't bought it yet, please re-tweet this to see why the price went up GBP 3 extra
https://twitter.com/AHM7777/status/674237966127116288

I'm assuming it's cuz VAT or some taxes, either way I'd like to know the reason behind this before I buy it :p

Retweeted it. You can return the favour by voting for this post on the PS Blog:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015...-fat-princess-adventures-more/#comment-685817

I'm certainly not going to skip the game over this, but i'd like to know what warranted the GBP 3 price hike. The originally announced price of GBP 29.99 is already higher than €39.99, no need to make the difference even more pronounced.

GReeeeN

I still feel that the orphanage parts are the best parts of gaming from last gen. It's so deceptively simple but it makes the payoff at the end so much more intense.

maybe in the wide scope of things + once the game is complete, and you see the ending,

but as a new comer into the series expecting a pretty cool yakuza/ Japanese city culture type game, and having the first few hours of my experience looking for lost kids and making them dinner in rural Okinawa wasn't quiet what I was expecting. I do like slower paced games, so I'll go back to it and hope it picks up soon!!

I give it another shot try to finish it before moving onto 4 and 5

oneida

Then explain how he could have possibly enjoyed 3. I'm very similar. Loved 3 and 4 but didn't bother with 1 and 2 after trying them.
explain what's so different about the combat. i played through the whole series over the oast four months so i'm confident in saying the combat in 3 is effectively identical to 2 with only minor refinements.

MYeager

Then explain how he could have possibly enjoyed 3. I'm very similar. Loved 3 and 4 but didn't bother with 1 and 2 after trying them.

The combat hasn't really changed much since the first. They've added some different weapon attacks and Heat moves, but it's not like the combat from 3 is a leap up from 2, it's a hop at best.

That said one of his complaints is the combat never changing, so he might like 4 because at the very least each character feels different in combat and maybe that variety will help.

oneida

More combos, more heat actions, more objects/items, tighter controls, three additional characters.

Why wouldn't you want him move on to 4? I still don't get your angle here.
because if he cant enjoy the best game in the series, he won't enjoy 4. 2 isn't as archaic as you're making it out to be and is as good an example of what makes the series appealing as can be. yes, he remembers enjoying 3 more "way back", but clearly the series isn't clicking with him now.

and 3 only has one character.

Stuart444

I started with Yakuza 3 and it's my favourite. I didn't even know about the cut content at the time until I read stuff about Yakuza 4 not cutting content lol.

I forget why I got Yakuza 3 but I'm so glad I did, love this series <3

brawly

because if he cant enjoy the best game in the series, he won't enjoy 4. 2 isn't as archaic as you're making it out to be and is as good an example of what makes the series appealing as can be. yes, he remembers enjoying 3 more "way back", but clearly the series isn't clicking with him now.

I was talking about 4 as he already played 3. Agree to disagree then. For me even going back to that generation and controller is a huge hurdle.

jorgeton

Yakuza 3 is awesome. It was my intro to the series. Sure, the orphanage stuff at the beginning was really slow, but it did pay off in the end. I liked the story in 3 more than in 4 too.

It also has the superior Boxcellios.

I just want to go home and play more Yakuza 5 ;;

Aki-at

Until 5 I have to say Yakuza 3 was my favourite in the series.

But the gameplay in 2 isn't any less smooth than 3, 2 is a massive step up from the original which definitely feels outdated now to me. Still an enjoyable title but the second one was really what elevated the gameplay of the series from good to great I feel.

I'll finally get playing in an hour or so, can't wait!

After I'm done with it I'll probably go back and finish 1 and 2 I also have dead souls to try.

Until 5 I have to say Yakuza 3 was my favourite in the series.

But the gameplay in 2 isn't any less smooth than 3, 2 is a massive step up from the original which definitely feels outdated now to me. Still an enjoyable title but the second one was really what elevated the gameplay of the series from good to great I feel.

3 & 4 have seamless battles, that alone is a game-changer.

Top Bottom