• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Razlo

I too think 3 is the weakest (yet great). I wonder how many people who like 3 more than 4 do so because 3 was their first game in the series?

I've been playing since 1, so here's how I see it:

1: Great story, establishes series
2: Amazing new characters, maybe best story, good refinements
3: Good refinements, big graphics upgrade
4: Gigantic content shift, huge variety
5: So far seems like the biggest yet

Past

I am loving this game, but damn the story is really slow so far. I am already on chapter 3 with Kiryu and barely anything of importance happened plotwise. Reminds me of Yakuza 3 where they make you go do pointless little chores. I hope the story picks up soon.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
i have a job interview to prepare for in 3 hours and i must remain strong

the temptation to just fuck around in Y5 is too strong ; ~ ;

SxP

Of course, my PS3 did NOT automatically turn on and download the game. Glad I can put the PS3 in storage after this game. Just picking up a DS3 again was a terrible experience after so many hours of playing with a DS4.

Well, I won't be playing today considering it's a 22GB download. Stupid SCEE and their incompetence in everything.

"Ha ha, fuck you," says Shogi. "All your pieces are already captured, and I've got super pieces running around the board."

"It's only turn 10!" says I.

brawly

Of course, my PS3 did NOT automatically turn on and download the game. Glad I can put the PS3 in storage after this game. Just picking up a DS3 again was a terrible experience after so many hours of playing with a DS4.

DS4 works with the game.

MYeager

This game's a lot hard than 4 was.

I thought it was easier, or at least feels so over time. If you're still right at the beginning there are moves you learn from trainers that feel overpowered almost. If you still feel it's difficult make sure to do the Gourmet King sub-quests for each character. You'll get powerful buffs from food items that way.

Just out of curiosity how many times did you guys die in Yakuza 3 and 4? I noticed yesterday it was only(?) twice in both games for me (playing on normal).

5taquitos

Started on Normal, it seems pretty standard difficulty-wise. Encounter rate is way up though, it seems, which is fine by me.

I thought it was easier, or at least feels so over time. If you're still right at the beginning there are moves you learn from trainers that feel overpowered almost. If you still feel it's difficult make sure to do the Gourmet King sub-quests for each character. You'll get powerful buffs from food items that way.

I'm not complaining, mind. I actually prefer 3 to 4 because it was a harder game.

You playing on hard? I chose normal and Ishin was kicking my ass a lot more.

Yep.

Trace

Banned
I know one other person already mentioned it, but you're pretty much screwed if you try and do the taxi stuff with a DS4. I think it has to do with the triggers being picked up different, but it's pretty much impossible not to get "sudden acceleration" every single time.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Just out of curiosity how many times did you guys die in Yakuza 3 and 4? I noticed yesterday it was only(?) twice in both games for me (playing on normal).
3 retries in Y3 but i think at least one of them was some non-death thing. my only death in 2 was the failed QTE at the last moment in the game lol.
don't remember how many times i died in 4 but it was probably a lot as it was the game i started with.

Only a short way in but it just feels great to be playing another English Yakuza game.
I know one other person already mentioned it, but you're pretty much screwed if you try and do the taxi stuff with a DS4. I think it has to do with the triggers being picked up different, but it's pretty much impossible not to get "sudden acceleration" every single time.
That really sucks to hear, I'm borrowing this PS3 from a friend and my only controller option is the DS4. Hopefully it won't be too much of a downer.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Started on Normal, it seems pretty standard difficulty-wise. Encounter rate is way up though, it seems, which is fine by me.

Really? Doesn't seem like it to me. Plus enemies no longer aggressively chase after you like in previous games. They basically just stand still until you get extremely close to them. And even then you can hold R1 to walk by them and they won't even notice you (if they haven't yet). It feels like 5 is way more lenient on you as far as random battles go. And hell, one of the early substory rewards is an item that reduces random battles if you equip it.

Cess007

I too think 3 is the weakest (yet great). I wonder how many people who like 3 more than 4 do so because 3 was their first game in the series?

I guess this is me. I always wanted to give Yakuza a try, but i couldn't until Yakuza 3. Maybe that's the reason i like Yakuza 3 a bit more than Yakuza 4.

You playing on hard? I chose normal and Ishin was kicking my ass a lot more.

Kinda wish I had gone with hard but I'm sure once a boss comes around it'll be fine.

Now my download has finally finished I'll be playing on Hard, I usually find normal to easy.

Ishin is a strange one though, that game was pretty brutal difficulty wise early on. Plus the battle dungeon stuff (later levels) were hard, even with the difficulty set to easy!

5 is still harder than 4 though, which in my opinion was far too easy (on normal difficulty). Outside of a few fights the AI was incredibly relaxed, barely attacking me at all.

Stuart444

Grr, any tips for these taxi races? Trying to do the second one now and for some reason, even when I don't hit anything, the taxi just starts slowing down eventually which always gets me near the very end of the freaking race :/

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Grr, any tips for these taxi races? Trying to do the second one now and for some reason, even when I don't hit anything, the taxi just starts slowing down eventually which always gets me near the very end of the freaking race :/

Save your turbo and heat actions for the end of the race. I haven't lost one yet.

Are you upgrading your taxi as you go? I always tended to do all the other taxi related events to get XP to purchase upgrades before doing the races.

5taquitos

Really? Doesn't seem like it to me. Plus enemies no longer aggressively chase after you like in previous games. They basically just stand still until you get extremely close to them. And even then you can hold R1 to walk by them and they won't even notice you (if they haven't yet). It feels like 5 is way more lenient on you as far as random battles go. And hell, one of the early substory rewards is an item that reduces random battles if you equip it.

I think I didn't understand the encounter bypass mechanics at first. After
drinking with my boss the first night
I decided to walk home instead of heading straight home. Since I was drunk and not sneaking past fights, I was getting into them every block, sometimes immediately after finishing the last one.

Edit: Also I'm sure this will come with time, but it was super easy to pick out enemies in Y4, since they'd stand still amongst the crowd. I know that the bad guys in Y5 get red speech bubbles, and I'm starting to recognize them a bit more, but they definitely blend in more than previous games.

Stuart444

Save your turbo and heat actions for the end of the race. I haven't lost one yet.

I'll try that. Might be able to get two turbos out but yeah, guess I'll try saving the heat action this time.

edit: NOPE. the slowing down of the taxi for seemingly no reason (did it at the start of the race) just screws me over :(. Guess I need to upgrade the taxi or something

brawly

Ishin is a strange one though, that game was pretty brutal difficulty wise early on. Plus the battle dungeon stuff (later levels) were hard, even with the difficulty set to easy!

I haven't gotten very far in Ishin (4th chapter I think), but yeah it's pretty brutal, especially the boss battles. It also had me running from street mobs way too often, lol.

Too bad that some of the songs are once again omitted.
I kinda miss the one that is used during the opening taxi ride / title display.

Kane1345

I'll try that. Might be able to get two turbos out but yeah, guess I'll try saving the heat action this time.

edit: NOPE. the slowing down of the taxi for seemingly no reason (did it at the start of the race) just screws me over :(. Guess I need to upgrade the taxi or something

You using a DS4 for it? I'm not entirely sure but I seem to remember someone saying that taxi races with the DS4 resulted in some sort of problem. This sound familiar to anyone?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Edit: Also I'm sure this will come with time, but it was super easy to pick out enemies in Y4, since they'd stand still amongst the crowd. I know that the bad guys in Y5 get red speech bubbles, and I'm starting to recognize them a bit more, but they definitely blend in more than previous games.

You're definitely right about enemies being super easy to pick out in Y4. And while they do blend in a bit more in 5, I'm starting to be able to pick them out after only a few hours of play.

Top Bottom