• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Squishy3

I just walked into a convenience store.

You can read the ENTIRE FIRST CHAPTER of any of these series: A-Bout, Ahiru no Sora, Baby Steps, Be Dash!, BLACK OUT, Chojin Gakuen, Countrouble, FAIRY TAIL, GE Good Ending, Hajime no Ippo, A Town Where You Live, Attack on Titan, Sherlock Bones, Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome, Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, Animal Land, Cage of Eden, Initial D, Kaiji (the Kazuya-hen arc,) Ghost in the Shell, Minami-ke, PONCHO, Sengoku, Suna no Eikan, and Kurono Royale.

This is surreal.

I also recognize Serani Poji playing over the convenience story speakers. I have that CD.
I didn't even think to scroll through the magazines. Shit. I saw Ippo on the Weekly Shonen cover but thought it was just the cover.

Dio

Banned
I didn't even think to scroll through the magazines. Shit. I saw Ippo on the Weekly Shonen cover but thought it was just the cover.

Look to the right of that stand. There's a stack of books next to the ATM. You can read manga there.

Squishy3

Look to the right of that stand. There's a stack of books next to the ATM. You can read manga there.
Ah, that makes sense. I also guess I should go pick up money out of the ATM sometime too since I remember the game telling me about that.

Honestly in the beginning I was kind of sideswiped with the "How much money to send to the Sunshine Oprhanage?" decision. I didn't expect to make a hard moral decision in a Yakuza game!

jorgeton

Did they tone down the violence in the game compared to 4? Done a few fights now and none of the enemies seem to display damage or bruise at all.

I was wondering that too. The HEAT attacks seem less brutal. Like they cut a few frames from and toned down the bone crunching sound effects a bit. Maybe I'm just mis-remembering..

heringer

Thanks to everyone who answered me back in page 11. I'll skip Yakuza 2 and get 4. I think my main issue with 2 is that navigating is just not fun, feels very clunky. Since the PS3 games are much better in this aspect, I might like it better.

I was wondering that too. The HEAT attacks seem less brutal. Like they cut a few frames from and toned down the bone crunching sound effects a bit. Maybe I'm just mis-remembering..
I was just playing Yakuza 4 so it's definitely been toned down. No bruising on enemies and at least so far no blood staining. Takes a lot of the punch of the combat away but oh well. Think this game is on a new engine so that might be why.

Combat feels so great though, heat attacks can hit multiple people in a way that feels more natural and most of your attacks will hit enemies on the ground which was finicky in previous games.

jorgeton

I was just playing Yakuza 4 so it's definitely been toned down. No bruising on enemies and at least so far no blood staining. Takes a lot of the punch of the combat away but oh well. Think this game is on a new engine so that might be why.

Combat feels so great though, heat attacks can hit multiple people in a way that feels more natural and most of your attacks will hit enemies on the ground which was finicky in previous games.

Ah. Well, they're still hilarious to behold, but I do miss the slightly over the top brutality.

Agreed the combat does feel better. HEAT attacks are a lot less finicky this time. Much easier to pull off the contextual attacks.

Ogni-XR21

Downloading now, will take a while, only at 7%...

But I still have to finish Yakuza 4 first, started it a good while ago but never made it to the end. Plan to finish it during my upcoming vacation and jump right into 5 once I'm done.

Squishy3

Some of them might have been toned down, like the foot stomp, but then there's the one where you break a guy's pelvis by slamming his butt down on one of the poles that keep cars from going onto the sidewalk. That sound is gross.

Also the Heat attack where you're grinding dude's faces on pavement. That's some good sound design.

Ah. Well, they're still hilarious to behold, but I do miss the slightly over the top brutality.

Agreed the combat does feel better. HEAT attacks are a lot less finicky this time. Much easier to pull off the contextual attacks.

Ishin and what I've played of Zero seem to be a nice and bloody return to form despite the new engine.

Hoping that Splash Wave and Passing Breeze are playable in the taxi, was never fond of Magical Sound Shower.

Temascos

Neo Member
First post on GAF :)

Downloaded the game this morning (UK based) but sadly at work atm, only got past the intro but excited for further beatdowns in the PS3 swan song. I've got platinum trophies for 3 (The Minigame Master trophy was utterly painful, damn Batting Cages), 4 and Dead Souls. Hopefully I don't have to mentally destroy myself on Pachinko.

One of my friends tried to download this to his PS3, and had 26 gigs free but for some reason it wouldn't let him even start the download, so he's getting a 500 gig drive just so he can play this. Hopefully the dedication works out.

Dio

Banned
First post on GAF :)

Downloaded the game this morning (UK based) but sadly at work atm, only got past the intro but excited for further beatdowns in the PS3 swan song. I've got platinum trophies for 3 (The Minigame Master trophy was utterly painful, damn Batting Cages), 4 and Dead Souls. Hopefully I don't have to mentally destroy myself on Pachinko.

One of my friends tried to download this to his PS3, and had 26 gigs free but for some reason it wouldn't let him even start the download, so he's getting a 500 gig drive just so he can play this. Hopefully the dedication works out.

You need 44 gigs free, even though it needs 22 gigs or so.

MYeager

Some of them might have been toned down, like the foot stomp, but then there's the one where you break a guy's pelvis by slamming his butt down on one of the poles that keep cars from going onto the sidewalk. That sound is gross.

Also the Heat attack where you're grinding dude's faces on pavement. That's some good sound design.

Saejima's are more brutal looking, especially one of his Climax Heat moves. Kazuma does have a suplex/powerbomb move that's awesome.

Temascos

Neo Member
You need 44 gigs free, even though it needs 22 gigs or so.

Yeah, that's what we figured out in the end. Bit of a pain.

On the plus side at least there's content and gameplay that makes it all worth it. Ready to get to Club Sega at the first opportunity the game lets me do.

5taquitos

Yeah, that's what we figured out in the end. Bit of a pain.

On the plus side at least there's content and gameplay that makes it all worth it. Ready to get to Club Sega at the first opportunity the game lets me do.

I spent over an hour in Club Sega as soon as I could go in. My UFO Catcher game was on point.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Wooooo this is now sitting on my PS3 all downloaded and installed ready to rock, going to get dinner and then it's Yakuza time baby!

I too think 3 is the weakest (yet great). I wonder how many people who like 3 more than 4 do so because 3 was their first game in the series?

I've been playing since 1, so here's how I see it:

1: Great story, establishes series
2: Amazing new characters, maybe best story, good refinements
3: Good refinements, big graphics upgrade
4: Gigantic content shift, huge variety
5: So far seems like the biggest yet

Nah I've been with the series since the first game released on PS2 and I prefer Yakuza 3 over 4 for some particular reasons.

1. After the events of 1 and 2 I loved seeing the caring side of Kazuma helping the kids with the orphanage. It's my favourite part of the whole series.

2. I prefer playing a Yakuza game just with Kazuma. He's my bro/man crush and he's fucking awesome. This doesn't mean I dislike Akiyama/Saejima etc. I just like Kazuma more and I still wasn't bored playing a full game as him during 3. However I realise this is probably a minority opinion amongst Yakuza fans.

3. I love his bro-ship with Rikiya who's a great character in the series.

But then I honestly think all the games are fantastic and people prefer whatever entry over the others for various reasons. The only one of negligible quality is Dead Souls and I loved the shit out of that too! Pure fan service. It's all good! :)

5taquitos

2. I prefer playing a Yakuza game just with Kazuma. He's my bro/man crush and he's fucking awesome. This doesn't mean I dislike Akiyama/Saejima etc. I just like Kazuma more and I still wasn't bored playing a full game as him during 3. However I realise this is probably a minority opinion amongst Yakuza fans.

I will never get tired of playing as Kazuma. He's one of my favorite video game characters of all time.

IrishNinja

yeah, i love kazzy-chan but playing as others makes him even larger/more mythic

hating everyone who's playing this game while im at work, especially that fiendish bishopcruz

also! Y5 JP is like $20 from amazon & some places, might finally grab it just to round off the shelf, shame Isshin's not that cheap

Word is that Y5 US recognizes data from 1 & 2 HD, for whatever good that does us.

aw goddammit, meant to install that one on this system but totally forgot, wonder what i missed

I just walked into a convenience store.

You can read the ENTIRE FIRST CHAPTER of any of these series: A-Bout, Ahiru no Sora, Baby Steps, Be Dash!, BLACK OUT, Chojin Gakuen, Countrouble, FAIRY TAIL, GE Good Ending, Hajime no Ippo, A Town Where You Live, Attack on Titan, Sherlock Bones, Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome, Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, Animal Land, Cage of Eden, Initial D, Kaiji (the Kazuya-hen arc,) Ghost in the Shell, Minami-ke, PONCHO, Sengoku, Suna no Eikan, and Kurono Royale.

This is surreal.

I also recognize Serani Poji playing over the convenience story speakers. I have that CD.

This was one of the first things I checked. I thought for sure these would have been cut, as they wouldn't translate them for English and there must be some licensing required for including them in the game. Very pleased to see that these were included as well as its a really nice little detail to the in game world.

I've played most of the first part/chapter this evening. Just as great as I remember, if a little dark? Might need to tweak the brightness options a tad...

The only complaint (and its not really a complaint to this game) is that I've gotten so used to 0 and Ishin on the PS4 with their silky smooth 60FPS fights that going back to 30 ish in 5 feels like a rude awakening. Its still an amazing game, but I really do hope that Sega decide to release (at least in Japan) a PS4 remastered collection of 3-5 for the PS4, or just release the whole series on Steam.

Oh, and this was interesting - when starting the game I had the usual item rewards for having save files of past Yakuza games on my HDD. 3, 4 and Dead Souls were expected, but I also got items for having Yakuza 1 HD and Yakuza 2 HD saves on my HDD. Odd that they make mention to these games, and ignore Kenzan! Did the Japanese release ignore Kenzan! as well? Doubt it means anything, just an odd inclusion is all.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They never will at this point, but I've been saying since 4 that Kiryu should have gone into a mentor role for a new character to build the series around.

Or just give me Tanimura Cop Adventures: The Game

Herla

The game is stellar and I'm already losing myself looking for stores and minigames but...

...could someone tell me if the italian restaurant near Kiryu's home looks like a UE3 game that failed to properly load textures?
I haven't played a PS3 game in a while, but I don't remember Yakuza 4 looking this bad and it's weirding me out. I want to know if I just need to get used to it again or if there's some issues with my game, because it really looks blurry as hell...

The racing music is amazing. Shame about the DS4 not working to well with the driving, I think I can just switch back and forth between the DS4 and 3 for now at least.

Stuart444

I've spent all day just doing Taxi stuff. :D Think I'm almost done the races
Just got one more of the four kings to beat.

I love this game <3

Unit24

Damn, the AI has some crazy rubber banding in the racing missions. I was only able to beat a beginner mission by sticking next to the other car and boosting ahead at the last second.

Sgblues

Yeah if you have saves the previous games, you'll get the unlock bonuses, even from HD1&2, you'll get the Koi Amulet and Yellow Dragon wrap from 1 and 2.

Dio

Banned
I just went Sea Fishing.

Holy fuck, my hours spent practicing catching a huge tuna in Yakuza 3 is paying off. All my skill came back to me for this minigame.

And I just fished up a god damn fucking umbrella. This thing fought me like hell at 150m, it's an INANIMATE OBJECT!

grimmiq

Combat seems harder than the last couple, I probably only used 2-3 healing items through my entire playthrough of 3, used one on the second fight in 5.

MYeager

I just went Sea Fishing.

Holy fuck, my hours spent practicing catching a huge tuna in Yakuza 3 is paying off. All my skill came back to me for this minigame.

And I just fished up a god damn fucking umbrella. This thing fought me like hell at 150m, it's an INANIMATE OBJECT!

They made fishing easier, you can just reel in quick until it gets red, reel out until line tension is green, reel in quick again. I loved how it was in Yakuza 3.

IrishNinja

Yeah if you have saves the previous games, you'll get the unlock bonuses, even from HD1&2, you'll get the Koi Amulet and Yellow Dragon wrap from 1 and 2.

...goddammit

i wanna say kenzan! got a belly warmer from some other game at the time too? haha it's been a bit

androvsky

The game is stellar and I'm already losing myself looking for stores and minigames but...

...could someone tell me if the italian restaurant near Kiryu's home looks like a UE3 game that failed to properly load textures?
I haven't played a PS3 game in a while, but I don't remember Yakuza 4 looking this bad and it's weirding me out. I want to know if I just need to get used to it again or if there's some issues with my game, because it really looks blurry as hell...

I recall Yakuza 5 having some incredibly garbage textures in places in the Japanese demo, and I thought I read the full game had the same problems. And yes, those textures were bad compared to Yakuza 4. Actually, if it's kind of a brown texture that could've been a wood texture then it's the one I'm remembering from the Japanese demo. I remember it being in a restaurant.

Sgblues

...goddammit

i wanna say kenzan! got a belly warmer from some other game at the time too? haha it's been a bit

Well normally for the JP version, if you had a Kenzan save, you'll get the gion bell but not for localized version which is the only bonus you don't get, interestingly in Y3 and Y4, they gave you the bell normally.

SephLuis

I just went Sea Fishing.

You did the old man sidequest didn't you ?

I did the same and about 10 minutes fighting it, slowly reeling when it came back and forth and to the sides, I finally won this majestic battle and my prize was:

a fucking oil drum >_>

Top Bottom