• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

preta

Lucky you! This game has an NG+ mechanic where you can just play as solo Adol switching weapon types!

This is not entirely correct. The way it works is that after beating the boss at the end of the postgame dungeon, you receive three accessories that, when equipped, give a character an attribute in addition to their natural one. So if you have a character equipped with the accessories that grant the other two attributes, they can have all three attributes at the cost of not being able to equip any other accessories. You also become able to freely change party size at this same point, meaning you can go solo as any character (or use any two characters).

Speaking of Ys Origin, for the physical version is there any real difference between the Hong Kong version or the Limited Run Games version? I collect physical games and missed out on Limited Run, Hong Kong version should be just as good?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Eh half the issue with the other characters not feeling as good as adol is that he get's all the power up exiliers and your best acessories *arc slash is busted too* So while the other characters are fun and would be good in their own ways Adol just swamps them in raw power and damage output

Ventara

So I changed my button configuration around a bit, and I ended up putting Evade and Dash on the same circle button. Before I get used to it, will this cause me any problems later on? Will there be a boss battle where I need to be dashing and jumping at the same time (I have jump on the X button, so I can't do both)?

preta

So I changed my button configuration around a bit, and I ended up putting Evade and Dash on the same circle button. Before I get used to it, will this cause me any problems later on? Will there be a boss battle where I need to be dashing and jumping at the same time (I have jump on the X button, so I can't do both)?

Evade and Dash are on the same button by default (L1), so no, you shouldn't have any problems.

Ventara

Evade and Dash are on the same button by default (L1), so no, you shouldn't have any problems.

Derp, I was focused on what button configuration I wanted that I didn't realize they were on the same L button to begin with, lol. Anyways, thanks!

TheFatMan

Digging this game after 8 hours. Just got another party character but I don't play on using them at this point because I like my original three!

preta

Derp, I was focused on what button configuration I wanted that I didn't realize they were on the same L button to begin with, lol. Anyways, thanks!

Dashing is not generally something you'll be doing in the middle of combat anyway - it's more for getting around areas faster.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Chapter 2 ending thoughts.

They kinda fucked up boss placements imo, as funny as seeing the dino eat the dude the spider should have been the last boss with you chasing him into the cave avoiding traps along the way. Should have been fight him, spider drops down eats his ass then fight spider or way you came in gets blocked off and you fight the spider shortly after. That boss was way over tuned in comparison to it's follow up bosses and felt like who they wanted to be a big chapter finale
and the dude sure as hell was not a chapter ending worthy boss

lionpants

Chapter 2 ending thoughts.

They kinda fucked up boss placements imo, as funny as seeing the dino eat the dude the spider should have been the last boss with you chasing him into the cave avoiding traps along the way. Should have been fight him, spider drops down eats his ass then fight spider or way you came in gets blocked off and you fight the spider shortly after. That boss was way over tuned in comparison to it's follow up bosses and felt like who they wanted to be a big chapter finale
and the dude sure as hell was not a chapter ending worthy boss
I was laughing out loud as Barbaros kicked the bucket. The animations and writing is just so ridiculous that you can't take it seriously. I felt sad for Little Paro though... He liked the captain. Ya, I totally agree. The spider was tough and the rest were easy.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I was laughing out loud as Barbaros kicked the bucket. The animations and writing is just so ridiculous that you can't take it seriously. I felt sad for Little Paro though... He liked the captain. Ya, I totally agree. The spider was tough and the rest were easy.

The biggest issue with two bosses after the spider is that Arc Slash kinda negated needing to do half of their weak point stuff properly it just lets you aoe everything effortlessly

Hippo needed to turn with it's bites more too

Alucrid

Banned

"here lies captain barbaros. wait, was his first name captain or did we forget to ask him?"

redcrayon

Had to laugh at Dogi talking to Adol in the opening scene.

"You're twenty years old and still eager for adventure!"

I suppose 20 counts as approaching retirement in JRPGs, I mean he hasn't been a teenager for a matter of months :D

Had to laugh at Dogi talking to Adol in the opening scene.

"You're twenty years old and still eager for adventure!"

I suppose 20 counts as approaching retirement in JRPGs, I mean he hasn't been a teenager for a matter of months :D
Actually Adol is 21 in VIII. Which means he's officially over the hill. :p

redcrayon

Actually Adol is 21 in VIII. Which means he's officially over the hill. :p
Ha. Poor sod. He ends up stranded with nothing but a rusty sword and a sailors outfit, but Laxia, last seen in her fineries below deck, somehow managed to escape with her lovely rapier, a full intricate adventuring outfit and a towel. She's either a pre-cog or incredibly lucky. Or incredibly competent- maybe she was in the process of gearing up to head upstairs to kick arse when it all went down :D

Really enjoying this, the whole scenario feels nice and adventurous and that's what I love in an rpg. Might reconfigure the button layout a bit though- having 'switch character' as the same button as a skill button when R is held down, and then just R being block, and then L+R being special move seems a bit too easy to mess up so far. I'm playing on Vita, presumably its better with the extra triggers on PS4? Maybe I just need more practice.

Started playing today got to chapter 2, so far ys 8 has been exactly what I expected. Another mediocre party ys game with waaaay too much story with flat uninteresting characters surrounded by our out of time silent protagonist. It's nice to have jumping back but combat still breaks down into flash guard/dodge into special spam to unleash your super move. The new camera was also a terrible decision whoever thought behind the back with lock on was a good idea should be fired.

I always felt ys was missing a generic tsundere who's introduced with a garbage fan service scene and comically doesn't know how to cook oh ho ho *vomits*

Aeana

Started playing today got to chapter 2, so far ys 8 has been exactly what I expected. Another mediocre party ys game with waaaay too much story with flat uninteresting characters surrounded by our out of time silent protagonist. It's nice to have jumping back but combat still breaks down into flash guard/dodge into special spam to unleash your super move. The new camera was also a terrible decision whoever thought behind the back with lock on was a good idea should be fired.

I always felt ys was missing a generic tsundere who's introduced with a garbage fan service scene and comically doesn't know how to cook oh ho ho *vomits*

I strongly disagree with the camera part. The change in camera perspective makes it dramatically better for me, personally. I changed the lock on to only lock on things in front. But I don't actually use lock on for much besides bosses, it's not necessary.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah man Ys combat is pretty shitty overall, I mean Oath just relied on you jumping over stuff to avoid things over and over hella boring :p

Don't get me started on how abusive flash dodge was in Origin too :O

I strongly disagree with the camera part. The change in camera perspective makes it dramatically better for me, personally. I changed the lock on to only lock on things in front. But I don't actually use lock on for much besides bosses, it's not necessary.

I agree lock on isn't necessary for non bosses, but just exploring the island there's no real value in the new camera location. With the old camera you could quickly survey the battlefield and know when to dodge/guard and what my allies were doing. Now that ys has decided to try and copy kingdom hearts I find my allies now are off doing god knows what off camera and I look more at the mini map to tell where enemies are and not the actual screen. The only advantage of the new camera is I can look out on those """beautiful""" vistas to see upres vita graphics ooh.

Yeah man Ys combat is pretty shitty overall, I mean Oath just relied on you jumping over stuff to avoid things over and over hella boring :p

Oath in felghana is great. 7, memories, and 8 are all a huge step back. I'd rather they brought back the bump system from ys 1 then play another one of these swap parties members to slash/pierce/bash for weakness exploiting.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'll seriously never understand your complaint about the character swapping.

The characters are weapon movesets to learn from my point of view.

The combat in this game.is fast fluid and challenging as well. I had more trouble with a boss in chapter two than any boss in oath and origin besides about 4 of them

Dog boss oath
Elemental robot oath
Mantis yunica
Last boss yunica

Breaking it down to its system mechanics and saying boring that's all this issss does a huge deserve for how good the combat is in 8

Me too. They embraced the third person camera as well, it influences the way the level design works in terms of verticality in some areas and how everything interconnects. Everything, for the most part, feels like it happens within the same interconnected game world which also isn't easy to do.

I didn't realise you can change the lock-on to work on things within your field of view! That sounds like it would help a lot.

I think some of the criticisms are valid, though. You *could* argue that the combat mechanics lack depth, but the mechanics that are there (dodging, guarding, using skills or positioning) are utilised to the fullest and you're still kept on your toes with every new boss fight. That's all excellent stuff. The pace of the game's combat means it's best to focus on a small number of mechanics.

Blue-kun

The characters are weapon movesets to learn from my point of view.

The combat in this game.is fast fluid and challenging as well

And honestly, you can just... not switch characters, if it bothers you this much. I sure as hell played this game with two slash charas and a pierce one in my party and never had to go and actually switch. You can easily either ignore or just spend a bit more to defeat enemies who resist it, lol. This was on Nightmare and no items back on the Vita version, so...

silva1991

Combat is so much fun. I'm not expert in anime terms, but I'm guessing Laxia is what they call tsundere -__-

God she's annoying.

Why would you pay for this game at full price? Just curious. If I had your opinion of the franchise at this point I would have waited for a sale or watch a let's play for example.

Also, I can't be the only one that locks on all the time.

Mr.Jeff

Camera's one of my big bugbear's about the game as well. I despise the directly behind camera. A slightly more top down one, at least for bosses would suit me far far better.

With as it stands now, I find it really hard to judge distances for attacks in front of me combined with slightly fuzzy edged particle effects, it makes dodging an absolute nightmare.

There was a boss in Celceta and another in 8 that does a large frontal beam attack which you're required to dodge and at higher difficulties it boils down to "I hope you can grasp through trial and error when to avoid this" which does not make for fun for me.

The character writing complaint, well, I did half warn you. With Ys, you know how they're going to be written, and they certainly don't do themselves any favours initially. I ended up liking most of them by the end bar except Sahad.

The characters are weapon movesets to learn from my point of view

That's nonsense for so many reasons

1) allies that draw enemy aggro and deal damage to enemies radically change how the games are designed and how the games feels to play

2) your allies have different amounts of health and stats that all have to be micromanaged between weapon and armor upgrades

3) allies have different personalities which may draw a player to want to use one over another even if it may not be as efficient a team composition.

4) allies keep talking during cut scenes and feel the need to stop the exploration every 2 screens to point out the foot prints in the sand or complain how we still haven't found anyone yet

5) more a personal point but why did they remove adol's ability to wield all 3 types of weapons after 7? That was a clever solution to get around problem 3. In mem of celceta it meant I almost never used the other slash character because it feels weird to not have Adol in the party in these games.

Why would you pay for this game at full price? Just curious. If I had your opinion of the franchise at this point I would have waited for a sale or watch a let's play for example.

Also, I can't be the only one that locks on all the time.

I wasn't going to, but then the price dropped like a rock on amazon where it was cheap enough with some amazon credit where I didn't feel upset buying it day 1.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Like at the end of the day all oath is jump over stuf, whirls wind over or earth dash through things and mash attack or fireballs and do rush mode when an opening is there

You just always sound jaded when oath is just as simple at the end of the day.

Calling 8 mediocre action game is a huge disservice to it

Nyoro SF

Hey, I enjoy the Sahad and Laxia dynamic a lot.

I think the past games have had really dull and crappy characters, but Ys VIII definitely changed things in this regard. Ricotta and Hummel are also hilarious and Paro is great. You can definitely tell they took the boring character criticism to heart from past games.

It's too bad the localization is so shitty that a lot of humor has been lost though.

EDIT: The damage your allies do to bosses is very small, it hardly affects any balance. And the management of the other two characters is extremely easy, it's as far from "micromanage" as you can get. And you really only have to worry about team composition on Nightmare or higher. I don't like the mini cutscene interruptions but they're a small deal in the grand scheme of things.

Like at the end of the day all oath is jump over stuf, whirls wind over or earth dash through things and mash attack or fireballs and do rush mode when an opening is there

You just always sound jaded when oath is just as simple at the end of the day.

Calling 8 mediocre action game is a huge disservice to it

There's a simple way to understand this

I had a lot of fun with all the pre party system ys games, more fun and enjoyment then I get out of party ys. They may not have the same amount of subsystems and mechanics as the later games but more isn't better imo. Those older ys games felt a lot tighter in terms of gameplay and design and I think the simple mechanics helped the gameplay to shine. Also minus origins all the solo adol adventures combined had less text then one random chapter of party ys.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That's nonsense for so many reasons

1) allies that draw enemy aggro and deal damage to enemies radically change how the games are designed and how the games feels to play

2) your allies have different amounts of health and stats that all have to be micromanaged between weapon and armor upgrades

3) allies have different personalities which may draw a player to want to use one over another even if it may not be as efficient a team composition.

4) allies keep talking during cut scenes and feel the need to stop the exploration every 2 screens to point out the foot prints in the sand or complain how we still haven't found anyone yet

5) more a personal point but why did they remove adol's ability to wield all 3 types of weapons after 7? That was a clever solution to get around problem 3. In mem of celceta it meant I almost never used the other slash character because it feels weird to not have Adol in the party in these games.

I wasn't going to, but then the price dropped like a rock on amazon where it was cheap enough with some amazon credit where I didn't feel upset buying it day 1.
1. There are typically more enimies being more agressive in this game to make up for it, all of the characters have big hitting attacks and in doing so typically have all the attention from monsters tho they are typically being mowed down as you push forward.

2. Kind of a whatever point, from my point of view everything 2 or 3 shots me anyways and gear upgrades are not something to worry about as most of that is taken care of quickly on a return trip and I don't have to worry about it til the next upgrade set.

3. That's on the person once again a whatever point I'm doing my best to learn what everyone can do as I plan doing bosses with each character alone when possible in the future.

4. Shrug

5. That's in the game way layer as acessories so any character can have any attribute not just Adol mostly there for new game plus

This post wasn't addressed to me and generally I disagree with the idea that party system = weapon switch, but I want to respond it lol

allies that draw enemy aggro and deal damage to enemies radically change how the games are designed and how the games feels to play

This is mostly incorrect. Only the player controlled character draws the attention of enemies. This can actually be exploited in Seven by using party switch to avoid certain boss attacks.Certain moves that track the player character movement and be evaded by switching to party members outside of its tracking/range or even on opposite sides of the screen in certain cases

Ys VIII actually addresses this by having the characters swap positions vs having the player's position swap to the characters.

your allies have different amounts of health and stats that all have to be micromanaged between weapon and armor upgrades

ROFL yeah. about as much as you have to manage Adol's stats in any previous Ys game.

Leveling and equipment are actually way less important in the modern games vs older ones. Especially Oath which has really really REALLY rigid progression requirements. If you can deal with Oath nothing in this game or any other Ys game should bother you in that regard.

allies have different personalities which may draw a player to want to use one over another even if it may not be as efficient a team composition.

Yes. Welcome to JRPG parties. This is entirely the point of them. It's supposed to be fun.

I think this is a valid reason for why the party system =/= weapon system....but I think in this case it's for the better.
allies keep talking during cut scenes and feel the need to stop the exploration every 2 screens to point out the foot prints in the sand or complain how we still haven't found anyone yet

This isn't my experience at all in this game. I mean yeah there are cutscenes, but they aren't as frequent or as pointless as you suggest. They mostly exist to feed information to the player and keep them on track.

more a personal point but why did they remove adol's ability to wield all 3 types of weapons after 7? That was a clever solution to get around problem 3. In mem of celceta it meant I almost never used the other slash character because it feels weird to not have Adol in the party in these games.

Like someone explained earlier this actually comes back in this version in NG+ where you can equip accessories to any character to give them one or both of the other attributes, and manipulate party size from 1-3.

:rollseyes:

Top Bottom