• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

Jolkien

You obtain the second meno for Hummel giving him a gift. If you just got the third one, there's still time untill you can get said gift.

Thanks I'll keep looking Now I'm trying to figure out how to get to the chest in B1F of the Monastery, wonder if there's a second entrance.

Thanks I'll keep looking Now I'm trying to figure out how to get to the chest in B1F of the Monastery, wonder if there's a second entrance.

I was there for like twenty minutes. Granted I was sleepy at the time but I kept going in circles until I gave up.

So yes, you will get there later on.

silva1991

This game is way longer than what I expected it to be.

I'm guessing there is at least one more area/dungeon since I still haven't fought any monster that drops
underworld bone/hide

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
It seems that this game has been really overlooked by gaf, only 29 pages so far in an official thread?

Anyways, I was a bit scared when I saw all the crafting and map completion stuff early on, along with the slow and dialogue heavy intro chapter, but thankfully the game is still fairly linear, well-paced with the right amount of optional backtracking. So far, I've never had to grind for crafting materials too.

The whole deserted island conceit, rounding up survivors, building a base, and the relationships/paranoia that develop are pretty interesting compared to the typical Ys plot, or most rpgs for that matter. Not to mention it compels you to explore, find new survivors which contribute to unlocking new shops or town features. The Dana stuff, not so much. At least they didn't name the tree "Yiggdrasil" again :p

In the midst of chapter 3. Only issue I have so far is the shite translation.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It seems that this game has been really overlooked by gaf, only 29 pages so far in an official thread?.
Pretty sure it's safe to say the series is more well known for it's pc releases atm in the west so the lack of one right now is kinda holding back that wave of players

Haven't really played much the last couple days in favor of finishing Miitopia and Splatoon 2's SP... but thinking on it, the Dana dungeon might be one of my most favorite segments in the game. It reminds me a lot of the more traditional Adol-only games so much.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Haven't really played much the last couple days in favor of finishing Miitopia and Splatoon 2's SP... but thinking on it, the Dana dungeon might be or of my most favorite segments in the game. It reminds me a lot of the more traditional Adol-only games so much.

It's pretty much a super mini version of origin

Wagram

My biggest complaint with the game (area variety) seems to be letting up. There's quite a bit in the later half of the game. Also, I agree that Dana's dungeon is the best in the game.

I wish there were more puzzles and platforming in the dungeons. Walking forward with a different background skin does get old.

Is it normal that I unlock certain people memo's out of order?

For example for Hummel, I have memo 1 and 3. I saw in the gift guide that you need to give him a gift for number 2. But Dina doesn't have that one in stock. Same for Kuina's gift.

Did I miss something or will it become available later in the story? Just started chapter 5.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is it normal that I unlock certain people memo's out of order?

For example for Hummel, I have memo 1 and 3. I saw in the gift guide that you need to give him a gift for number 2. But Dina doesn't have that one in stock. Same for Kuina's gift.

Did I miss something or will it become available later in the story? Just started chapter 5.
That's normal and stuff will show up eventually

silva1991

I haven't finished the game yet, but how tough is the post game dungeon? There is a tough boss in the
silent tower
and I was wondering if I should beat him first.

Mr.Jeff

I haven't finished the game yet, but how tough is the post game dungeon? There is a tough boss in the
silent tower
and I was wondering if I should beat him first.
That boss you mentioned is of a lower level than the post-game dungeon.
The dungeon itself is mostly okay, the last boss is tough but not too unreasonable.

That said, if you're in post game territory, it's really quick to buff yourself with stat potions.

Wagram

That was a total I seen it coming into what the hell is happening.

P.S. Someone needs to have Falcom teach Square-Enix how to do water based bosses.

how long is this game? I just recently beat the ancient beast in intercept mode and it seems like I haven't even scratched the surface yet at 10 hours played.

silva1991

That boss you mentioned is of a lower level than the post-game dungeon.
The dungeon itself is mostly okay, the last boss is tough but not too unreasonable.

That said, if you're in post game territory, it's really quick to buff yourself with stat potions.

Thanks. I might try irt for a bit today. I'm ready to move on to different games.

Great game by the way and I hope it sells well.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
HOLY FUCKING SHIT WHAT A FIGHT

Top 3 fight in the series easy god damn

My chest is pounding

I haven't slept.... I need sleep... CANT SLEEP TOO HYPE FROM VICTORY x.x/

Edit: Im kinda sad I potentially could have NO DMG'd it too but I lost my rhythm at two spots :l

Blue-kun

HOLY FUCKING SHIT WHAT A FIGHT

Top 3 fight in the series easy god damn

My chest is pounding

I haven't slept.... I need sleep... CANT SLEEP TOO HYPE FROM VICTORY x.x/

Edit: Im kinda sad I potentially could have NO DMG'd it too but I lost my rhythm at two spots :l

brb imagining which boss this was, hahahaha.

Mr.Jeff

I wanted to highlight it on twitch but that page isn't loading for me today for whatever reason

But it's a big spoiler boss.
from dana's dungeon final boss

I got insanely lucky with it's attack pattern and was able to push out super high damage at various points.... this was after 2 1/2 hours of fighting it lol
My third most struggled with boss! haha

The switch between the Hammer form and the Luminous form are a nightmare because it has a bunch of different timings for it's attacks.
Then the third phase is just a clusterfuck of pain. Trying to dodge the pillars that luminous form creates? Impossible. While that's going on you'll either get the flame form with it's ridiculous fire breath attack of the hammer form which either screws you over with shockwaves or creates gigantic goddamn pillars.

It's a good fight though. I ended up just getting lucky

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah the final phase is a true cluster fuck and the light form barrage of fucking melee sucks if you miss time it once since it typically fucks over the timing and rhythm of the other attacks, also you made that waaaay harder on yourself than you should have haha you could have wrapped the fight up twice as fast if you used dana's buff

XD how long did it take you to grind to 73? I was at 67 and that was after 3 tempest xD

Mr.Jeff

Yeah the final phase is a true cluster fuck and the light form barrage of fucking melee sucks if you miss time it once since it typically fucks over the timing and rhythm of the other attacks, also you made that waaaay harder on yourself than you should have haha you could have wrapped the fight up twice as fast if you used dana's buff

XD how long did it take you to grind to 73? I was at 57 and that was after 3 tempest xD

I can't work out Dana's buff. Cause I play conservatively, I'll get a few hits in before I'm back to dodging and then I've lost all my SP....

As for level
On one of the previous levels where you get hammer form, there's an oddly placed level 60 mob in a zone where you're meant to be level 53. I kinda grinded that to 60 really quickly at the time then the levels just kinda grew? I did use a couple of +1 level seeds though cause I needed something to spend crystals on

Definitely a great additional boss.

I look forward to you doing the true end. See if you have as many problems as I did. Probably not so much with a full party!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I gotta do the other optional boss stuff first then Ill start the ending up, at the end of the day I'll be pullingmy hair out when I go for my no damage attempts

redcrayon

Endgame Dungeon spoilers

Luxor hill. Polygon-shaped platforms floating in space connected by corridors at regular angles, again Falcom? I feel like I only just saw it in Trails of Cold Steel 2, and then it was immediately followed by the same in SMTIV:A. What is it with these dungeons, they are such a boring letdown after the others. I get that it's supposed to be 'otherworldly' but at this point it's about as familiar an rpg environment as generic sewers.

Maffis

This game really became easy when you obtained Savage Mask and Saint Ring together, and spamming Adols skill where he uses a huge saber attack around him. Everything dies in 2 hits, even at end game.

Top Bottom