• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Breath of the Wild will seemingly have dual audio [Up: Nope]

99Luffy

Banned
Wait, I was only kidding in my previous post, but people actually do this? I mean, you do you, but, like, you're ok with missing the music and everything else just because you don't like the VA?
I was talking about turning the voice volume down.

Again, I understand that some have their preferences. But acting like the English dub is the worst voice acting in a major game is a bit overkill.
Its like ghibli animation for me. Some of those english VA I absolutely cant sit though. Chloe moretz In Tale of Kaguya was a recent one I couldnt get through.

lantus

Just based on the trailer, the English VO didn't seem right. It kind of had that anime dub feel to it. Japanese sounded much more convincing.

How? She does less crying and it's the least emotional crying for a scene where she is collapsing into Link's arms with deep disappointment.

I thought the less crying of the English one felt more real. The animation was enough to communicate the emotion. Combine it with the scream-cry of the jp and it's too much. Too bad I don't have the same affinity for the rest of the English performance in the trailer.

The Lamp

She sounds like a baby in the Japanese one.

Did you hear the other languages?
https://youtu.be/q0A2uWcanbg

English has the least emotional cry. It sounds dry.

Spanish is GOAT

I thought the less crying of the English one felt more real. The animation was enough to communicate the emotion. Combine it with the scream-cry of the jp and it's too much. Too bad I don't have the same affinity for the rest of the English performance in the trailer.

The animation is disconnected to the English cry. The mouth is wide open while she exerts herself into his arms, yet there are several moments within the cry where she doesn't make any sound.

PSqueak

Banned
Wait, no dual audio?

Man, I feel sorry for y'all american folk and your shitty dub.

Frankly im super baffled, how the fuck did america end up with the worst dub?

I thought between English and Japanese, English was way better. Th Japanese one felt over dramatic and screechy.

Japanese Game/anime voice acting is super hammy as the standard, so it gets a pass, most consumers of japanese media are used to it and appreciate it's hammy charm.

Did you hear the other languages?
https://youtu.be/q0A2uWcanbg

English has the least emotional cry. It sounds dry.

Spanish is GOAT

The animation is disconnected to the English cry. The mouth is wide open while she exerts herself into his arms, yet there are several moments within the cry where she doesn't make any sound.

We actually agree that the Spanish is the best so I think we're on the same page. Though if I were the director I would take something closer to the English one than the JP one to be honest.

Wait what?

I planned on just putting the Voice volume slider down and just reading subtitles. If I dont have that option then thats actually game breaking for me. Not enough to not play the game but enough to wait until I can buy it second hand.

I don't think you understand what "game breaking" means.

NeoGAF on Zelda games before Breath of the Wild: I WANT VOICE ACTING IN MY ZELDA!

NeoGAF on Zelda: Breath of the Wild before launch: I WANT DIFFERENT VOICE ACTING IN MY ZELDA!

Bold Prediction:

NeoGAF on next Zelda game before launch: WHY ARE THESE VOICES DIFFERENT FROM BREATH OF THE WILD?

NeoGAF on Zelda games before Breath of the Wild: I WANT VOICE ACTING IN MY ZELDA!

NeoGAF on Zelda: Breath of the Wild before launch: I WANT DIFFERENT VOICE ACTING IN MY ZELDA!

Bold Prediction:

NeoGAF on next Zelda game before launch: WHY ARE THESE VOICES DIFFERENT FROM BREATH OF THE WILD?

This comment only works if it is the same people posting that.

Otherwise you're saying nothing other than "different people want different things!!"

En-ou

So the Wii U version is the definitive version with the undub possibility?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

not possibility. definitely.

i got the perfect solution for you switch guys:
load up youtube lets play zelda japanese during your cutscenes..LOL

Roo

I find it horrible, specially the old woman in the beginning of the trailer. I hope i can change to English because otherwise i think I'll be canceling my amazon.es order of the game an import the US version instead.

It's probably my bias speaking anyway haha
I personally know most of the voice actors hired for the Spanish (Latin America) version so I'm very pleased and excited about it.

ika

Don't like the English and Spanish dubs... and those are the two only languages I understand reading... :( I hope at least if we can't choose Japanese voices, give us the option to silent the voices and go all text.

Maybe they can do some day-1 update to add the option to change the voices, if we ask them politely...

daxgame

Yeah, I'm fine with the game being in Japanese in all it's entirely since I'm importing the game anyway. What I wanted to know is if an American console will actually let me change its system language to Japanese or will it be restricted to your typical offerings with Nintendo of America (English, French, Spanish, and Portuguese).

I ask because I wasn't able to procure a Japanese preorder of the Nintendo Switch whereas I have an English one preordered as backup. I don't want my Japanese copy of LoZ: BotW to be English due to some silly system language restriction.

The OS too :p. That said I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case, I thought you can set even your WiiU in japanese? I'm too lazy to check though.

Right, because asking for a simple setting of something that's already in the game (to pick a a track audio while keeping the text in another language) seems a lot.

How? She does less crying and it's the least emotional crying for a scene where she is collapsing into Link's arms with deep disappointment.

I hear more of a breathless and semi gasping sort of crying from the English VO take on it. Less shrieky/overcome and more straight up defeated. It, along with all the english VO ive heard is perfectly fine

wmlk

I've more of a problem with Deku Tree and old lady's English VO tbh. It's like you can tell which lines they're reading exactly.

Istaerion

The OS too :p. That said I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case, I thought you can set even your WiiU in japanese? I'm too lazy to check though

Yeah, that's not an issue either. =P

I haven't owned a Wii U in the longest time, so I don't know if they changed the system language restriction or not overtime.

If you get the chance, I'd appreciate it!

Ghandi

Banned
Its astonishing that I think the German VO is better than the english one....this happend like never before in gaming for me?

I think beyond good &evil had good german VO and maybe some obscure Point and click adventures (cant remember the names, but the rest is usually rubbish

The english one is not terrible, just well seems worse than german or japanese.

muteki

The OS too :p. That said I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case, I thought you can set even your WiiU in japanese? I'm too lazy to check though.

Right, because asking for a simple setting of something that's already in the game (to pick a a track audio while keeping the text in another language) seems a lot.

Simple settings in games have never really been a nintendo thing. Drives me nuts.

Latin Spanish is the best I've heard so far. Fan of German too. I don't get how people say Zelda's cry in the English version doesn't make sense... When crying emotionally like that it's normal to not really make much sound because you're gasping for air. The Japanese one doesn't make much sense because her cry gets louder when it should be muffled by Link's arms and her head moves less suggesting that she should be easing up a bit (Which is also why the French version is so bad). It also alternates back and forth really annoyingly, almost like a yodel.

Latin Spanish is the best I've heard so far. Fan of German too. I don't get how people see Zelda's cry in the English version doesn't make sense... When crying emotionally like that it's normal to not really make much sound because you're gasping for air. The Japanese one doesn't make much sense because her cry gets louder when it should be muffled by Link's arms and her head moves less suggesting that she should be easing up a bit (Which is also why the French version is so bad). It also alternates back and forth really annoyingly, almost like a yodel.
Everyone is an expert of acting now. They keep saying it's the worst because the old lady isn't particularly old witch sounding, and because they just want to say they like the Japanese dub by insulting the English one.

Personally if I had the choice, I'd go with Spanish as it's definitely the one I liked the best outside of 'irule' but the English one isn't a bad choice as it's ultimately my primary language now.

I wouldn't choose the Japanese outright.

Hackers exist because two dozen forum posters want to play a game in a language they don't understand?

I mean, I'm all for more choice but the reactions here are getting silly.

You're really bad at counting. There's already 495 posts in this thread complaining about this dick move by Nintendo.

It's probably my bias speaking anyway haha
I personally know most of the voice actors hired for the Spanish (Latin America) version so I'm very pleased and excited about it.
Ah, i meant the castillian Spanish one. It sounds so fake and they pronounce Hyrule in the most cringey way... the English one seems to me much much better

Lebon14

Unless they offer Jap audio + sub as DLC (which 99.9% won't happen), I can confirm that I will be listening to my Foobar2000 playlist while playing the game and have subs on.

Can't be assed to be forced to listen to music I'll be bored to listen to if there isn't any compelling reasons for me to do so. Jap dub + sub was my reason to listen to the game's soundtrack.

Top Bottom