• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Breath of the Wild will seemingly have dual audio [Up: Nope]

If I understand the GameXplain correctly, on the Switch at least, once you change the system language to Japanese, the game's audio and text switch to Japanese.

If that's so doesn't that mean the languages are included on the cart but are inaccessible due to what system language you're using?

Wait but this means:
If my console setting is german i can hear german dub and if the consloe setting is english i can hear english dub?
Only problem is dub+sub is tied together?
Or what?

This is why this is especially ridiculous. It implies it wouldn't be much work for them to implement when the files are there worldwide in the first place.

Mokiki

Neo Member
Awww damn now I am extremely disappointed. It shouldn't be this hard to include dual audio. Storage Space is no longer an issue and even if you just can't pack it on the initial storage medium DLC is always an option, so people could download just the language they want.

I know this isn't a Nintendo problem but a general one. Still I really hoped maybe the Switch might start a much more modern Nintendo. :/

*edit* And its especially stupid since apparently all voice files are present. They are just locked by your console's region setting. Come on Nintendo it's no rocket science to uncouple it and make it a game option.

Typical Nintendo, never implementing what fans want when it takes them little next to nothing to drag the files to the game to put in dual audio. I hope they are bombarded enough that you can download a patch that puts it in.

maxcriden

Typical Nintendo, never implementing what fans want when it takes them little next to nothing to drag the files to the game to put in dual audio. I hope they are bombarded enough that you can download a patch that puts it in.

Is there an online petition about this yet? Perhaps they'd take notice if they saw demand for a patch.

Ghandi

Banned
Yes according to the video game language is tied to the system language.

If you set the switch to english. Both VO and subtitles are english. If you set it to japanese both the VO and subtitles are japanese. If you set it to german, both the VO and subtitles are german etc.

yes.

This is why this is especially ridiculous. It implies it wouldn't be much work for them to implement when the files are there worldwide in the first place.

Great! Feared for a sec I am stuck on my english import version.

For me personally idgaf about this. 1st Playthrough english, 2nd german, 3rd japanese.
But I can see the annoyance in wanting to use a foreign language on the first run.

daxgame

I doubt emailing them will get me any real answers since they've been so very vague with just about everything.

I was excited to hear the Switch is region free and multiple region accounts would be possible, but now it seems you would be screwed if your console can't actually be changed to the language you desire.

I hope since it's region free, all languages will be present and be capable of being switched to, but it hasn't been clear and it's been a typical Nintendo move to restrict that by the console's actual manufactured region.

I think you misunderstod here: yes, you can change to the language you desire. But if you set "japanese" you'll get the game dubbed AND with text in japanese.

Coffinhal

A campaign should be implemented to force them to do it. Put pressure on them on social media. We want a day one patch.

I don't care about Japanese audio. I just need the French dub.

Are you French or you just liked it ?

The Zelda voice in the French trailer was soooo bad

Moraizen

There go my hopes that we might be able to play Smash Bros. Switch in japanese, that American Ryu really does a number on my hear drums.

I thought that Nintendo was starting to change their stance on this, even the last Rhythm Paradise games had options for both Japanese and English languages, but then Fire Emblem Fates got released...

I guess I could concede on the Fire Emblem example if it was related to the limited space of the 3DS cartridges, but the Switch version has everything included... There are no excuses this time.

PtM

Banned
Wait a second, are they suggesting the game will contain multiple language audio files for all users but the only way to access them is to change your system settings and this also changes the text/interface? Because that seems utterly stupid and an immense waste of space on the cartridge or for anyone going digital on their space is at a premium storage device.

I find it hard to believe Nintendo would do that.
Isn't this how everybody does it?
I think you misunderstod here: yes, you can change to the language you desire. But if you set "japanese" you'll get the game dubbed AND with text in japanese.
Only thing is you have to set your whole OS to Japanese.

GAMETA

Banned
I want the japanese version with english subs... is that asking too much Nintendo? Can't you just enable it as a free add-on download... it's not like you'll have to recode the whole fucking game. =/

takriel

Damn, I'm lucky to get the German version, then. Sorry for you English fellows stuck with Zelda's bad English voice acting :/

I'm in love with the Spanish dub so I couldn't care less about the rest. ❤
I find it horrible, specially the old woman in the beginning of the trailer. I hope i can change to English because otherwise i think I'll be canceling my amazon.es order of the game an import the US version instead.

Astral Dog

Awww damn now I am extremely disappointed. It shouldn't be this hard to include dual audio. Storage Space is no longer an issue and even if you just can't pack it on the initial storage medium DLC is always an option, so people could download just the language they want.

I know this isn't a Nintendo problem but a general one. Still I really hoped maybe the Switch might start a much more modern Nintendo. :/

*edit* And its especially stupid since apparently all voice files are present. They are just locked by your console's region setting. Come on Nintendo it's no rocket science to uncouple it and make it a game option.
Region locking at least,i wonder why there wasn't a thread about it

Istaerion

Yeah, I'm fine with the game being in Japanese in all it's entirely since I'm importing the game anyway. What I wanted to know is if an American console will actually let me change its system language to Japanese or will it be restricted to your typical offerings with Nintendo of America (English, French, Spanish, and Portuguese).

I ask because I wasn't able to procure a Japanese preorder of the Nintendo Switch whereas I have an English one preordered as backup. I don't want my Japanese copy of LoZ: BotW to be English due to some silly system language restriction.

This sounds like the way Nintendo handles language in most of its games, so I'm not surprised.

This. Even when the console is completely region locked, forcing a region would make a game play in that language.

Games like that yarn Kirby game had a prototype English script in it's Japanese release for instance that only required the region to be set.

Kudo

Even Atlus USA finally offers dual audio, and we're going to have big publisher like Nintendo take this step back now?
Come on.

TWill

Neo Member
In the presentation. It was a japanese dub and the text that seemingly appeared as part of the game was in English?

So I'd like to believe there is hope this is how it will work out.

In the presentation. It was a japanese dub and the text that seemingly appeared as part of the game was in English?

It isn't uncommon for Nintendo to use footage with Japanese dub and English sub while the final game only has English dub...

kunonabi

Other m had English subtitles available in the Japanese release so it's possible. That was a really premium release though so I'm not all that convinced of it happening again.

martino

I don't care about Japanese audio. I just need the French dub.

from the trailer :
females voices are near japan match
male are bad

text is too freely translated imo...
open your eye -> wake up
deku tree sentence become it seems you don"t remember me...
the father sentence become "now you must know" instead of "you are ready" (huge difference of context and accomplishment to me here)

it"s subtle but ...it's here and i don't understand why because it's mostly voice over.

99Luffy

Banned
Uuuuuuuugh... I have to suffer through the English version. No way to just turn voices off?
Wait what?

I planned on just putting the Voice volume slider down and just reading subtitles. If I dont have that option then thats actually game breaking for me. Not enough to not play the game but enough to wait until I can buy it second hand.

Neoxon

My god, the English voice acting isn't anywhere near as bad as you guys are making it out to be. I get people having their preferences, but this is ridiculous.

My god, the English voice acting isn't anywhere near as bad as you guys are making it out to be. I get people having their preferences, but this is ridiculous.

How is it ridiculous? Different strokes for different folks.

I find it amazing that there are people who find Xenoblade's dub unironically good, but I don't view their opinion as ridiculous.

Give people options and there'll be less for everyone to complain about.

Neoxon

How is it ridiculous? Different strokes for different folks.

I find it amazing that there are people who find Xenoblade's dub unironically good, but I don't view their opinion as ridiculous.

Give people options and there'll be less for everyone to complain about.
Again, I understand that some have their preferences. But acting like the English dub is the worst voice acting in a major game is a bit overkill.

You didn't like Xenoblade's dub?

Top Bottom