• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics #11: Out Run is coming!

Arcade ports are all great, but everything that isn't Altered Beast is way up there anyway. Make sure you get Galaxy Force, or at least check out the screens for it on its Miiverse board. Insane look to that game.

TDLink

Champ! Can't wait for afterburner!! What are the best of what's out? Are they all good ports?

They're all great except Altered Beast. Galaxy Force II is flat out amazing considering how old it is. I really like Shinobi III also. Can't really go wrong though aside from Altered Beast.

AmyS

Aside from Altered Beast being based on the MD/Genesis version, not the arcade, the 3D effect is very weak, the weakest I've seen, unlike Shinobi III which has a much better 3D effect.

At least System 16 arcade Altered Beast exists on the Wii Virtual Console Arcade (not talking about the console version on regular Wii VC).

Ooooh, they've added two music tracks!

sp_img01.png
sp_img02.png

Also digging the arcade-style background for the cabinet display option.

img_ss21.jpg

Platy

The amount of love they put on those games is INSANE !

Look at the AMOUNT OF OPTIONS that an ARCADE GAME has !

rjc571

Banned
Too bad they didn't put in the new music tracks from Outrun 2. I really loved Shiny World and those corny lyrical tracks.

Nothing on the game page about updating the framerate. Guess it's gonna remain at 30 :(

No Testarossa, but now we can pick car colors! That's kinda cool.

ipora29TJMOgH.jpg

GLORIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSNESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS~~~~~~~~

iwSgWZ7B7GhHY.jpg
iV8JsPP78VbmG.jpg

Looks like the composers for the new songs have worked on Cave shooter music and menu music from the Sega Vintage collections.

Okay, pretty hype for the two new music tracks.

sp_img01.png

Cruising Line is by M2's own Manabu Namiki. He contributed to a looot of Cave soundtracks like Mushihimesama, DoDonPachi and DeathSmiles. Also Opoona, and the awesome remixes from M2/Konami's WiiWare 'Rebirth' games.

sp_img02.png

Camino a Mi Amor is by Jane-Evelyn Nisperos, otherwise known as chibi-tech. She provided the cool menu music for SEGA's Vintage Collection stuff (like this), and seemingly did an original track in 3D Fantasy Zone. SEGA BRING THAT SHIT OVER HERE.

More importantly, she's responsible for making the NES somehow pump out this ridiculously crunchy dubstep.

Well that's disappointing. No new game mode available? Two new tracks are awesome news, especially since I like Chibi-Tech's chiptune work, but the 3D better justify buying this over playing the Cannonball app.

Nice. Car colors is a pretty nice trade-off for the horse emblem.

I figured there would be new music but I figured it would be pulled from various home ports (some of them had extra music).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Shame this only has a Faux-rari Testarossa, but whatever. All the options and new music (omigod, new music!) will make this the best version of Outrun.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
I'm looking over that page in Google translate and man are there tons of options here.

- Choice of car color (Google translates it as "model" so it might even be different car types)
- Save states
- "Replay" option that will play back recorded gameplay at normal, half or double speed.
- Steer with slide pad, d-pad, or touch-screen
- 5 difficulty levels - on the lowest level there will be no other cars on the road
- Time limit can be set on a scale of 1 to 5
- Can select between playing the Japanese version or International version. The stages are arranged differently depending on the version.
- Can switch between mile and kilometer display
- Buttons are completely user configurable
- Three shifter types: Toggle, Hold, and Automatic
- Four screen display types: 4:3 (original), 16:9 (widescreen), Full (zoomed to fill the 3DS screen) and Cabinet (arcade cabinet view)
- Moving housing (optional) - simulates the Deluxe Outrun arcade cabinet by tilting the screen when you steer
- Environmental sounds (optional) - simulates the sounds the motors in the deluxe arcade cabinet made when it tilted side to side.
- Volume sliders for sound effects, BGM and environmental sounds
- Separate setting for engine sound volume (3 levels)
- Equalizer - It is possible to process the reproduced sound of the game
- BGM test menu
- 2 new BGM tracks in addition to the original 3 (5 in total)

Whew!

Had to look for a video of the deluxe arcade cabinet out of curiosity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhnRkdY9IA8

Branson

I'm looking over that page in Google translate and man are there tons of options here.

- Choice of car color (Google translates it as "model" so it might even be different car types)
- Save states
- "Replay" option that will play back recorded gameplay at normal, half or double speed.
- Steer with slide pad, d-pad, or touch-screen
- 5 difficulty levels - on the lowest level there will be no other cars on the road
- Time limit can be set on a scale of 1 to 5
- Can select between playing the Japanese version or International version. The stages are arranged differently depending on the version.
- Can switch between mile and kilometer display
- Buttons are completely user configurable
- Three shifter types: Toggle, Hold, and Automatic
- Four screen display types: 4:3 (original), 16:9 (widescreen), Full (zoomed to fill the 3DS screen) and Cabinet (arcade cabinet view)
- Moving housing (optional) - simulates the Deluxe Outrun arcade cabinet by tilting the screen when you steer
- Environmental sounds (optional) - simulates the sounds the motors in the deluxe arcade cabinet made when it tilted side to side.
- Volume sliders for sound effects, BGM and environmental sounds
- Separate setting for engine sound volume (3 levels)
- Equalizer - It is possible to process the reproduced sound of the game
- BGM test menu
- 2 new BGM tracks in addition to the original 3 (5 in total)

Whew!

Had to look for a video of the deluxe arcade cabinet out of curiosity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhnRkdY9IA8

Uh. Damn. I almost want to buy it just to support the effort from these guys. Helps that Outrun is pretty sweet too.

Two new music tracks? Nice. Looks like I'll be picking this up next week.

Seriously love the effort M2's been putting in these ports.

Elija2

I can't believe they were actually able to put this many features into it. They must have completely reverse-engineered the game or something.

If only Nintendo put half as much effort into their 3D Classics. Why don't they hire M2 to do their own? They're already doing some Virtual Console emulators for them.

wondermega

If only Nintendo put half as much effort into their 3D Classics. Why don't they hire M2 to do their own? They're already doing some Virtual Console emulators for them.
'Cuz N don't care? Also nobody else seems to either, publisher-wise. Which is a shame for us, of course, but if the only publisher out of the lot of them that is interested on supporting such a thing is Sega, then we aren't bad off at all.

Even so, it's always gonna be aggravating to think of all that missed potential..

AdanVC

Each week I'm buying one SEGA 3D Classics game to support this guys of M2. They have been doing an excellent job with this ports. Hope Out Run is released soon outside Japan :(

The hardest part about these games is waiting for the announcement of what's next, the best bit is the fact that when a release date is announced, it's always a week away :)

Robin64

M2 are pretty amazing with the effort to go to for these things. The GBA emulator for Wii U VC was all them, and it shows.

I can't believe they were actually able to put this many features into it. They must have completely reverse-engineered the game or something.
If they did they've reinvented the wheel. The cannonball guy already did that, and reprogrammed it in portable C whilst he was at it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
All those juicy options... and no online leaderboards :(
Is there a way to use Miieverse effectively for leaderboard-like competitions?

Actually, I know who I'd like to see. Square Enix. No, not for any RPGs or anything like that: Because they own these guys (and presumably at least some of their rights):

APGUs2W.jpg

Wow you nailed it.
It's too bad S-E never lets Taito do anything interesting (aside from mobile crap and random arcade games nobody will ever get to play)

Platy

Remind people that if it is out, this means that the Miiverse community is out, and with that is screenshots you can see in 3d in your 3ds

RTghshw.png

Just change your miiverse region to Japan

any salty miiverse posts about no Testarossa?

Honestly, why are people even complaining about that? Sega likely wasn't about to bother renegotiating the licensing for that, so this minor edit was probably the only way Outrun was going to make it to 3DS. I can live with that as opposed to being uncompromising and having Outrun passed on by Sega.

Anyways, it looks gorgeous. The widescreen mode features no upscaling and fits the entire horizontal resolution of the 3DS. The framerate is extremely smooth. There's plenty of options to edit controls and view modes, but you already knew that from Sega's website. I'll play around with it more after work today.

I bought my JP 3DS about a year ago primarily for Sega's 3D Classics, and this game in-particular. Worth the wait.

Voliko

Honestly, why are people even complaining about that? Sega likely wasn't about to bother renegotiating the licensing for that, so this minor edit was probably the only way Outrun was going to make it to 3DS. I can live with that as opposed to being uncompromising and having Outrun passed on by Sega.

Anyways, it looks gorgeous. The widescreen mode features no upscaling and fits the entire horizontal resolution of the 3DS. The framerate is extremely smooth. There's plenty of options to edit controls and view modes, but you already knew that from Sega's website. I'll play around with it more after work today.

I bought my JP 3DS about a year ago primarily for Sega's 3D Classics, and this game in-particular. Worth the wait.
How are the 2 new tunes?

Man, I can't wait to get my hands on this in NA. Coming off of the stellar arcade ports from the first batch of Sega 3D classics, I'm expecting great things.

BriBri

Remind people that if it is out, this means that the Miiverse community is out, and with that is screenshots you can see in 3d in your 3ds

RTghshw.png

Just change your miiverse region to Japan
I've seen that avatar before!

Game is ace. I need sleep...

Top Bottom