• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics #11: Out Run is coming!

This is more Arcade-specific ports this time around that last time! Prior it was just Hang On and Space Harrier, while GF2 was a port of the PS2 version, and Altered Beast was the Genesis one.
Super Hang-On had already been done for the Vintage Classics series, and Space Harrier also came from the SEGA AGES series alongside GFII. Something new and daring (and also possible, since M2's analyzed the Y Board) would be Power Drift, which hasn't had a home port in ages.

If they do have the Ferrari license, the logical new game mode would let you drive different car models with unique physics for each.

Rlan

Super Hang-On had already been done for the Vintage Classics series, and Space Harrier also came from the SEGA AGES series alongside GFII. Something new and daring (and also possible, since M2's analyzed the Y Board) would be Power Drift, which hasn't had a home port in ages.

If they do have the Ferrari license, the logical new game mode would let you drive different car models with unique physics for each.

While possible, i'd wager it being for a season 3 than now. The 3D classics seties needs to not only be good with its choices to show off 3D, but also it's genres. Too many racing games at once will spoil it.

I'm betting a platformer and beat em up will be next. Who knows, maybe they'll do something real weird like Zaxxon?

wondermega

Awesome. Dreams do come true.

Also in for Fantasy Zone, I was actually really hoping that would make the cut as well.

kitsuneyo

I think this might push me over the edge to actually buy a 3DS!

I wish these ports would come to the Wii U eShop (in 2D of course).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Heck yeah, this was the first game I thought of when I heard Sega starting their 3D Classics. This second "season" is starting to interest me with Fantasy Zone & now this.

....now I continue waiting to see if 3D Sonic 3 & Knuckles will ever happen.

R&D

Banned
That was the one I was waiting for.

How's Galaxy Force II and Streets of Rage? Never played the originals but the 3D seems good in those.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
GF2 was a port of the PS2 version
not really true, it used the updated sprite work from the PS2 conversion but was still built off of the original (and, apparently super complicated) arcade hardware. it's a hybrid in that sense.

in the same vein, Space Harrier 3D included a boss that was exclusive to one of the home console conversions (SMS?) but M2 still built from the arcade version.

GMxuz.png

My wallet is ready. Now bring Afterburner 2 too.

Khaz

While possible, i'd wager it being for a season 3 than now. The 3D classics seties needs to not only be good with its choices to show off 3D, but also it's genres. Too many racing games at once will spoil it.

I'm betting a platformer and beat em up will be next. Who knows, maybe they'll do something real weird like Zaxxon?

Dammit Sega, I still want Zaxxon 3D (and the rest of the Master System 3D collection) on the 3DS!

X and Y board seem to be the best they can do, and these boards mainly produced in your face racing / shooting games. What they may do is adapt another Megadrive game into 3D like they like to do. Gotta make that Gigadrive work.

krrrt

These 3D classics are the first and only time I have not felt cheated after buying a re-release.

Still too expensive though imo

Tizoc

These 3D classics are the first and only time I have not felt cheated after buying a re-release.

Still too expensive though imo

Aren't these being sold for like $5-6 on US eShop? For classics like these that's a fine price.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Aren't these being sold for like $5-6 on US eShop? For classics like these that's a fine price.

Considering the sheer amount of work that's gone into them, even the arcade games (which are like $8, I think) feel like an absolute steal.

I've been hearing good things about these ports. I'm hoping to see more un-ported arcade games get the 3D Classics treatment.

Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder anyone? Or how about Outrunners? Quartet?

Khaz

Awesome.

Now let's all hope that Wonder Boy in Monster Land is next.

Not much parallax scrolling in this one. Now Monster Lair...

I really hope, this comes to europe, too.

There's no reason they won't. We could have doubted the first ones to come, but they did and they were successful. We just need to wait until all eight games are completed, then wait one more year, and then we'll have them.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Return of Death Adder would definitely be interesting... though I hope that they just skip to that and ditch the rest of the series, frankly.

As far as future racing games go, I'm still most interested in Turbo Outrun. Something about the turning animation for cars in Outrunners and Power Drift really turns me off of them... though I can't say I've actually played any of these, so I hardly know what I'm talking about.

stuminus3

Thanks for the link. Must be quite cool in 3D. But since I have no nostalgia for them, are they good/playable even now?
All three of the arcade games released in the first wave are very playable. Space Harrier and GFII are timeless, IMO.

mclem

Thanks for the link. Must be quite cool in 3D. But since I have no nostalgia for them, are they good/playable even now?

It's difficult, and it's arcade difficulty, so you can clearly see the seams where they were encouraging you to shovel in coins - but I'm told it's quite beatable on a single credit (Not that I can do it myself!), and most importantly: It's a ton of fun.

Skelter

Banned
So has Sega released sales numbers on the 3D Classics? Hopefully it sold well enough in the US and EU that this is coming.

LoveCake

Is this the original game or one of the Coast 2 Coast games ?

Please be Coast 2 Coast SP 3D.

Also it has After-Burner on there to :D

Phantasy Star's not going to benefit from 3D in terms of play experience the way the Super Scalar games have. :|

so you can clearly see the seams where they were encouraging you to shovel in coins
Not that you could even do that with the SDX cabinet, which was supervised and probably queued a prodigious line of consumers after your one play. Playing on an upright cab, though (or, in our case, the 3DS), it's perfectly playable as a 1CC game, though it takes a long-ass time to master the game (my usual playthrough style involves playing as well as I can from start to finish, which probably isn't healthy, but certainly means I don't get to fudge). GFII, excepting its two flaws (visually obnoxious lava and random spawn patterns for some shootable things), is really amazing stuff.

X and Y board seem to be the best they can do, and these boards mainly produced in your face racing / shooting games. What they may do is adapt another Megadrive game into 3D like they like to do. Gotta make that Gigadrive work.
They have no choice but to port Mega Drive games, since they're less work and more profit than the arcade projects. I still want to see 1981's Turbo, though, as that's perhaps SEGA's first arcade powerhouse still worth playing.

Return of Death Adder would definitely be interesting... though I hope that they just skip to that and ditch the rest of the series, frankly.

God forbid they go with Golden Axe 2, then 3, then Death Adder!

As far as future racing games go, I'm still most interested in Turbo Outrun. Something about the turning animation for cars in Outrunners and Power Drift really turns me off of them... though I can't say I've actually played any of these, so I hardly know what I'm talking about.
Power Drift needs reappraisal with a top-notch M2 port (the Yu Suzuki Game Works port is flawed!), but Turbo Outrun and, if at all possible, Outrunners would be just as great.

Top Bottom