• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics #11: Out Run is coming!

I just hope they move up from the System Y and Genesis games. Go higher! 32X, Sega CD (Sonic CD yiss), SATURN!

Panzer Dragoon, NiGHTS, VIRTUAL-ON! Money on the table, even at a premium price!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I just hope they move up from the System Y and Genesis games. Go higher! 32X, Sega CD (Sonic CD yiss), SATURN!

Panzer Dragoon, NiGHTS, VIRTUAL-ON! Money on the table, even at a premium price!
Knuckles Chaotix 3D would be nice, if not for the fact I'd finally get a chance to try the game out.

Panzer Dragoon would also be nice to try out.

Tizoc

Not going to happen, but would be perfect:

phantasystar1.jpg

iF YOU have a PS3, make a JPN account and buy the Phantasy Star collection. They come with the English versions too.

Neff

Greatest game music ever

I'm going to have to pick this one up.

MSS always gets big ups, but Splash Wave is where it's at. Even Kamiya knows what's up.

Here's the "Not Ferarri" Ferarri from Shenmue OutRun for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebzkWxV9p88

I would surmise that they wouldn't pay for the Ferarri license for a low-key (albeit lovingly made) port.

Yep. They'll just do this version, and we'll be happy.

But... if they did get the license, it'd mean that they could release OROA again, which would be great, because it's one of the greatest driving games ever made and I never had the chance to buy the fucker.

So, fingers crossed...

iF YOU have a PS3, make a JPN account and buy the Phantasy Star collection. They come with the English versions too.

II-IV are also on the Sonic Mega Drive/Genesis collection (with imo the first and best as an unlockable) on PS3/360.

Aerocrane

I wish they would release a new version that has working online multiplayer. Or can I play it multiplayer and just missing it?

PC version should work through Tunngle or Evolve by using a VPN to play online through the LAN play option. I have not tried it though.

Lettuce

Oh yeah!!!

Cant wait!

So how are they getting around the Ferrari license then?

Next up Rad Mobile and Power Drift please SEGA

Jucksalbe

Banned
This has the 16-bit version of PS1? In english?

No. It's the SMS version. There's nothing in English that wasn't in English before, but it's an extremely well-made collection and has some options to make the games more bearable (like the option to increase movement speed and experience earned).

DirtyLarry

When can we pick this up? Outrun on the 3DS is a instant purchase for myself, and i Happen to have some store credit that is burning a hole in my pocket.

Harlock

No. It's the SMS version. There's nothing in English that wasn't in English before, but it's an extremely well-made collection and has some options to make the games more bearable (like the option to increase movement speed and experience earned).

Thks. I think PS1 still very playable even in cartridge format, because you can save in anyplace. I have the virtual console version and the Sonic Collection version (you have to unlocke). Dont rememeber now if the Sonic Collection version has the FM sound option like in the Wii VC.

Guys, it's all about Passing Breeze. Hiro knew best: he took Casiopea's jazz-fusion stylings and adapted them for FM synth, and it's a glorious saudade. Only thing more rad is the theme to Enduro Racer!

Also, it's kinda nice to know that I don't have to go and buy the Saturn version of Outrun (for the 60fps, which apparently isn't even done properly) anymore. I can just get this, because I know it'll be the best version out there.
Jacking it up to 60 FPS would be challenging, but anything's possible after Galaxy Force II. I just wonder what they're going to offer as a new game mode.

Have you seen CannonBall? https://github.com/djyt/cannonball/wiki

(arcade OutRun code, reverse engineered and reprogrammed in a modern language, so it can be run most modern computers)

Supports options for: 60fps, widescreen, double internal resolution, new game modes, course designer, force feedback and more.

It's amazing.

Yeah, but they're probably not at all aware that it's a thing. Only after exhausting their domestic options did M2 look on U.S. YouTube for footage of the SDX Galaxy Force cabinet so they could record machine sounds. Internet insulation'a a thing in Japan.

AmyS

CannonBall is so awesome.

I don't think 60fps would be too challenging for 3D Out Run on 3DS, at all.

The Out Run super-scalar hardware was far less powerful & advanced than the Y Board / Galaxy Force II and still well less than X Board / After Burner II.

OutRun hardware only produced 128 sprites and 2 background title layers, half that of the X Board.

http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=697

http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=698

It's really a matter of what will play better, the original 30fps, or Saturn's 60fps smooth mode. 60fps looks much nicer, but 30fps on Saturn plays better, for odd reasons someone else can explain if it has not been already.

CannonBall OutRun plays fine at 60fps though, unlike the Saturn version at 60.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
The former, surely, which would also mean...

OH GODDESS! Don't do this to me. It's the one reason I miss my 360. Surely SEGA will make sure to through this up on Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
OH GODDESS! Don't do this to me. It's the one reason I miss my 360. Surely SEGA will make sure to through this up on Steam.

It ultimately depends on whether or not Sega actually went to the effort of re-obtaining the Ferrari licence. Doing so for a 3DS port would be ridiculous but 2006 has become a collector's item on Steam since it disappeared from the store a good few years ago now. Konami, seemingly out of the blue, reacquired the Saw licence last October and the UK sub for the game, which actually covers all of PAL Land, ran out of keys during the Halloween Sale as, like OutRun, it too had become something of a rare curio due to a long absence.

mclem

Not going to happen, but would be perfect:

phantasystar1.jpg

If they were to do this, it'd be a missed opportunity if they didn't exploit the touchscreen in an EO-type fashion. It doesn't necessarily need to integrate directly with the game, either; just having it be an independent notepad would be awesomely handy.

Raitaro

WOOHOO!

Yep. Yep! YEP! I was almost tempted to punch my money through the screen when I read this news.

bXF8JcM.png

(Now do Turbo Outrun and Outrunners as well please SEGA - and bring all of them to the West of course.)

Edit: I wouldn't mind a port of Outrun 2 either, especially if it features the Coast 2 Coast tracks as well. Together with Out Run 1, these games would be my ideal holiday games to take with me.

Edit 2: but for the love of all that is red and fast, don't port over the genesis version of Out Run 1 SEGA; stick with the arcade original or Shenmue version or don't bother.

They didn't port the Genesis version of Galaxy Force II, and OutRun's hardware isn't as rigorous as the Y or X Boards, so no worries here. I can't wait to read the translated After Burner II interview, Horii and Okunari must have horror stories to tell.

I'm really happy that they are getting the Ferrari rights back for the new Outrun 3 so they can go ahead and have the original car in this game!

:(..............

soothe.

Let's stick with Sonic 2 first. And Sonic 3. And Sonic and Knuckles. And Sonic CD (!)

but all of those games have already been re-released countless of times. the first and only time we've seen Chaotix is its original release, so let's stick with that?

Is it normal for games announced but not yet paged on SEGA's site to simply disappear several days later? Because I'm no longer seeing the grey tab for OutRun in the 3D Classics hotbar.

UPDATE: It's gone when I'm on the FZ page, but present on others. Probably just a bug.

AmyS

Out Run is one of the finest games SEGA ever made.

Japan and U.S. flyers:

0Zdwd8z.jpg

kIi6j7Q.jpg

pHqeZH1.jpg

ZYfWWpy.jpg

bRp6x8Y.jpg

ptMUia0.jpg

GJAwRUg.jpg

GiuSRU3.jpg

Everyone with a Saturn should own a copy of

JbIq8V1.jpg

Dslelkx.jpg

Developed by Rutubo Games.

Some of the remixed music was cut out of the NA & EU releases of the 3-in-1 Sega Ages compilation published by Working Designs. Although the Japan and NA releases both allow both 30fps and 60fps play.

Not sure how the EU / PAL release worked, with regard to 50 Hz (25 and 50 fps ??)

Given some of the bonus settings from Afterburner II 3D were taken from Climax, it'd be nice to see some gameplay modes (Heart Attack, Time Attack, etc.) from OutRun 2 show up in the same capacity.

That'd usually be a pretty asinine thing to hope for, but M2's already gone above and beyond for this line of ports, so it's nice to dream.

OutRun's one game that deserves new game modes, considering how well it always sells. At the very least, this port will need enough to compete with Cannonball, which, though not in 3D, gives me tons of ways to play the game as I see fit. Rivals would be a good inclusion, as would time trials for individual stages, Heart Attack, &c.

sörine

Banned

There's still a lot of MD stuff I want (and Power Drift!) but I wouldn't mind Sonic CD, Revenge of Death Adder and Virtua Racing too. As great as the games on Saturn or Model 2 would be I feel like the work involved there might hurt the volume of releases too much to be worth it.

AmyS

As far as anything beyond the Y Board games that have yet to be made such as Power Drift and G-LOC Air Battle, I really only (realistically) care about System 32 Golden Axe: The Revenge Of Death Adder and Out Runners.

Those would be great for local wireless multiplayer, especially Revenge Of Death Adder with 4 players.

TDLink

What are the other 3D classics?

Out Now Everywhere
Space Harrier
Super Hang On
Sonic the Hedgehog
Altered Beast
Galaxy Force II
Ecco the Dolphin
Streets of Rage
Shinobi III

Coming Everywhere Later This Year/In Japan First
Afterburner II
Fantasy Zone
Out Run
???

I get the feeling Sonic CD would take a really insane amount of time and effort to give the 3D treatment. All those psychedelic background layers, the special stage, and how would they tackle the FMV? =x

The next platformer will probably be Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, because it's an unwritten rule that game has to appear whenever SEGA does anything retro-related.

Out Now Everywhere
Space Harrier
Super Hang On
Sonic the Hedgehog
Altered Beast
Galaxy Force II
Ecco the Dolphin
Streets of Rage
Shinobi III

Coming Everywhere Later This Year/In Japan First
Afterburner II
Fantasy Zone
Out Run
???

Champ! Can't wait for afterburner!! What are the best of what's out? Are they all good ports?

Top Bottom