• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics #11: Out Run is coming!

Hello again, old friend.

iMy5Gf2Faov8V.jpg

iNAZcb2DoFsew.jpg

ibeDfYCz0U6YvO.jpg

ibvqSCh1hhZ4G2.jpg

iUrJGZxz0MveL.jpg

ib2q0J4czTJMkr.jpg

iUItClZ8gyP6a.jpg

ibyWAPOBUxM2Bi.jpg

ibyXvSqr30QxDD.jpg

StayDead

Nope. It somehow took SEGA almost an entire year to bring over the first lot of games, so I wouldn't expect 3D OutRun until early 2015 if we do get it.

The thing that took them so long is more than likely getting it rated since that takes forever outside of Japan in some countries.

I don't have the time nor money to pick this up yet, but let it be known it will be mine! :>

rjc571

Banned
No prancing horse sadly, and no car selection other than unlockable paint jobs.

Beating the game unlocks different mods for your car, which improve its handling and maximum speed. You get a different mod for each of the first four courses that you finish on. When you beat all five courses you unlock the original arcade version, but I think the only difference is that the arcade version runs at half the framerate.

StayDead

TPB what's the new music like? I can't remember the name of the song but I think one of them was composed by the BRS guy.

Beating the game unlocks different mods for your car, which improve its handling and maximum speed. You get a different mod for each of the first four courses that you finish on. When you beat all five courses you unlock the original arcade version, but I think the only difference is that the arcade version runs at half the framerate.
I don't remember reading this on the release page. Glad to hear it's set to 60 FPS, though, and that there's a bit more customization than I anticipated. Excellent!

I own all of the Sega 3D classics aside from Ecco and this might be the best yet. As well as the usual options to tinker with screen size etc, the upgrades, new music and inclusion of the arcade version are all very welcome. Plays amazing too and the 3D effect gives it some incredible draw distance.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I own all of the Sega 3D classics aside from Ecco and this might be the best yet. As well as the usual options to tinker with screen size etc, the upgrades, new music and inclusion of the arcade version are all very welcome. Plays amazing too and the 3D effect gives it some incredible draw distance.

Man, these positive impressions are encouraging. Glad they really delivered with one of Sega's best games.

I mean, not that they haven't been delivering this whole time.

deleted

Looks amazing - glad to see that M2 is helping out with Nintendo's own titles too. They should stock up and just run the whole VC.

Branson

Well that's a little letdown. It looks more an unfaithful port than a powered version of the original game to me
The Ferrari liscense probably doesn't come cheap these days.

I don't think it makes it any less unfaithful though. It's just a symbol and maybe a slightly different looking car

LoveCake

The Ferrari liscense probably doesn't come cheap these days.

I don't think it makes it any less unfaithful though. It's just a symbol and maybe a slightly different looking car

I would've thought that the 3DS would be able to run OutRun Coast 2 Coast though, with Nintendo's huge cash pile i'm sure they could've stumped up the cash for a new license, then have a 3DS 3D version & also a 2D WiiU eShop version.

AdanVC

Wow. Kinda sad that who knows when we would be able to have Out Run outside Japan :'( Looks so damn good. I'm buying all the 3D SEGA Classics (Yes, even Altered Beast, it's so bizarre but cool) every week to show support at least.

Yes Boss!

Never played this game prior but damn is the 3D great. The stuff where you go through the pseudo tunnels is nuts. Must have been crazy-mind-blowing in the arcade. Cool shit.

StayDead

So after failing countless times I finally got to exit a. People in this universe shouldn't be allowed to drive, pulling out infront of me all the damn time.

The turning tuneup seems really powerful and driving with it makes you feel like a total boss taking corners with no issues at all. Just every single track in this game, especially the new music just feels so good to bomb it down the road too.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I wonder if it'll be another short wait for the next game in the series. IIRC, Outrun was announced just a few days after Fantasy Zone came out. Maybe we can expect to hear about something else pretty soon...?

I mean, that's all we with US 3DSes have to enjoy at this point.

Kyzon

I would've thought that the 3DS would be able to run OutRun Coast 2 Coast though, with Nintendo's huge cash pile i'm sure they could've stumped up the cash for a new license, then have a 3DS 3D version & also a 2D WiiU eShop version.

SEGA put out the game though :)

Lettuce

No prancing horse sadly, and no car selection other than unlockable paint jobs.

Well that's a little letdown. It looks more an unfaithful port than a powered version of the original game to me

Well the actual car is different also....

iUItClZ8gyP6a.jpg
irDcJapEE2R0g.jpg

Its the same model they used in Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol. 1....

outrun-startup-dc.png

Surely it does resemble a proper Testarossa that much that they would have to change the shape, just removing the badge would of been enough???

StayDead

All exits secured, I think I actually found it harder when I was using all the tune ups.

arcade mode BD

I like it, but I've grown accustomed to my cruising wave, what mode is everyone playing? :eek:

Respawn

Banned
HERE we go.

We all knew it was coming, but man am I glad to see it confirmed. Will buy immediately.

Also, it's kinda nice to know that I don't have to go and buy the Saturn version of Outrun (for the 60fps, which apparently isn't even done properly) anymore. I can just get this, because I know it'll be the best version out there.
Saturn? The Xbox version is god like.

Man. Years ago, I would have never figured I'd have portable. 60 fps, arcade perfect/superior ports of Space Harrier, After Burner II, Galaxy Force II and OutRun, let alone with legitimate new content. What a world we live in.

(Also, Camino A Mi Amor is a really great tune, wow.)

Well the actual car is different also....

iUItClZ8gyP6a.jpg
irDcJapEE2R0g.jpg

Its the same model they used in Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol. 1....

outrun-startup-dc.png

Surely it does resemble a proper Testarossa that much that they would have to change the shape, just removing the badge would of been enough???

So M2 didn't make their own car for this? From the screens it looked different than the Shenmue 2/YSGWv.1 version.

Voliko

The horizontal lines that the 3DS XL screen produces due to the nature of it's display, like the PSP 3000 screen, kind of annoy me, but they are spot on for these classics. Yeah, they aren't that dark, but it's kind of cool for these games. Looks decent in the screens above.

Unintended pseudo-scanlines :)

Man. Years ago, I would have never figured I'd have portable. 60 fps, arcade perfect/superior ports of Space Harrier, After Burner II, Galaxy Force II and OutRun, let alone with legitimate new content. What a world we live in.

(Also, Camino A Mi Amor is a really great tune, wow.)

No Super Hang-On? For shame :(

Which of Sega's 3D classics hold up the best? I haven't spent a ton of time with any of them.
Much as I love Galaxy Force II, Super Hang-On's the most robust game SEGA made that's in the first batch. It's balls-to-the-wall hard, and it'll take memorizing course layouts and traps over time, but the game ain't ever unfair.

AdanVC

Everytime this thread bumps onto the first page I get excited thinking it was finally announced to be released in America/Europe :c

Jucksalbe

Banned
Everytime this thread bumps onto the first page I get excited thinking it was finally announced to be released in America/Europe :c

I'd expect they'll release the games in a similar fashion as they did with the first wave. So all within a few weeks. But that would also mean they won't announce a Western release before all the games for their second season are announced in Japan.

jett

D-Member
I have to thank this thread for making me aware of Cannonball. That's just an amazing piece of software.

AmyS

Pretty nice video comparing (all?) the different ports of Out Run, including the GBA version that's part of Sega Arcade Gallery, and the PS2 remake.

http://youtu.be/RFrz2zzV91E

-Arcade
-Sega Dreamcast
-Sega Saturn
-GameBoy Advance
-Sega Mega Drive
-PC Engine
-Sega Master System
-Sega Master System (Out Run 3D)
-Sega Game Gear
I-BM PC Compatible
-Commodore Amiga
-Atari ST
-MSX
-Commodore 64
-Amstrad CPC
-ZX Spectrum
-PlayStation 2

Fails to mention that the NA Saturn version on Sega Ages Vol 1 also includes the 60 FPS smooth mode of the Japanese release, NA only lacked the remixed music. Otherwise a good video.

Voliko

Much as I love Galaxy Force II, Super Hang-On's the most robust game SEGA made that's in the first batch. It's balls-to-the-wall hard, and it'll take memorizing course layouts and traps over time, but the game ain't ever unfair.
Seconded. Super Hang-On is the best of the batch. The stakes are super high and a single crash can spell doom for a run. It is one of the most intense games that I've ever played and it requires high proficiency and practice to master. Nailing a sharp turn and getting right back up to speed feels so good. Running into another driver always gets my blood boiling!

Top Bottom