• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

Randomizer

How hard would it be to open a bunch of files in a 3D rendering programming and rerender them at a higher resolution?

Is this a fucking joke Capcpom? :lol :lol

Who buys this shit seriously?

Remaster on left, original on right
BuRFNDLIAAA_iYZ.jpg:large
Well, at least there's dynamic crotch shadows.

Sandfox

Original moving background FMVs were rendered out at 30fps. The entire game would be built around it.

Wasn't the same thing true for RE4, or am I thinking of another game? Most people would probably prefer it if they just made everything but the FMVs 60 fps.

R0nn

In the announcement video they claim they have more or less rebuilt the graphics from scratch, but going off these screenshots, that's not the case at all. It's just an upscaled REmake with some filter applied to it.

Maybe they were talking about the original REmake in terms of building the game up from scratch? Maybe it looks much better on X1/PS4/PC? Maybe they are just bad screen grabs?

Watevaman

Still haven't played RE1, so I'll probably look into this. This one is pretty much an HD remaster of the GC version? It's only RE1, though, not 0?

So this is the third remaster that was released on a Nintendo console which isn't coming to the Wii U I believe, their was SoulCalibur II HD, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (which the original was the highest selling Tales game outside of Japan) and now this. And people are convinced Capcom is supporting the console, and VC so doesn't count.

Sectus

Looking at screenshots, it looks like the pre-rendered background hasn't been re-rendered. Looks like they've just added a filter to combat the low resolution.

But anyway, this is pretty great news. It's about time this got ported from GC. And while I prefer the tank controls, I think it's also smart they've adding camera relative controls. They would be bombarded with complaints otherwise.

I refuse to buy this sad excuse for a remaster. The worst part is though that if this sells poorly because it looks so terrible Capcom will just use it as an excuse to say that nobody wants survival horror games.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
very, very happy.

edit: oh god damn it

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Another remaster!!!! Oh no!!

We are officially in the remaster generation! All these remasters and zero new games!
If you want to play RE you should buy the original system. Capcom probably had to cancel 5 new AAA titles to RElease this.

yes I'm being sarcastic]

Capcom, what the fuck?? Just applying a bloody photoshop filter to the backgrounds and that's it?
Capcom is like a kindly old grandmother who you ask her for a Transformers toy for Christmas but instead she gets you a Go-Bot

That requires money, and Capcom wouldn't be making this if it was expensive to develop.

But then again it will go on sale for 20$, as we all know Capcom, on PSN and XBL for a port that is just an upscaled version of the original, no new assets etc. Nothing they remaster in the sense of a true "Remaster".

they are, but they let you choose which way you want to cut it.

pop_hd_wide_ss01.jpg

pop_hd_wide_ss02.jpg

But they give you 4:3 option anyway

Now it looks even more like an easy cash grab.

I guess the limited time to release will not help the game in getting the face-lift it should have gotten.

ZangBa

Wow those screens look pretty awful, and only 30 FPS on current gen consoles? Seems like yet another lazy port job from Capcom I won't bother supporting. Disappointing how amazing this could have been if some real effort was put into it.

Even if it doesn't look that good I'm still excited as shit to play it for the first time. I'm sure this will be around 15 dollars anyways so I'm not mad.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Hmm on second thought this doesn't look so good. Nah, I think I'll just let my PS Vita Accessory go without this one. But hey maybe they have an RE2 remake on the way. Or another re-release of RE4.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm not one of those mental people that think 30 fps is better than 60 fps, but I can't see it making much difference in a game with a static camera.

Why bother updating when fans will do it for you. /capcom

In any case, I am one of the guys who never played the REmake so I will definitely check it out.

myca77

If it's really just up-rezed and pan and scan I should stick with the Wii version on the Wii-U, but like many I really want a resi 2 remake, so I may have to buy it just for that (but maybe when it's on sale).

Will wait for reviews I guess.

AniHawk

So this will be what?... The 14th re-release of RE4. Just milking that udder dry.

no, this is re1.

re1 psx: march 22, 1996
pc: december 6, 1996
saturn: july 25, 1997
re1dc psx: september 25, 1997
re1dcds psx: august 6, 1998
psn: november 22, 2006

deadly silence (ds): january 19, 2006

remake gc: march 22, 2002
remake wii: december 25, 2008

remake remaster ps3: november 27, 2014
remake remaster 360: november 27, 2014
remake remaster pc: early 2015
remake remaster ps4: early 2015
remake remaster xb1: early 2015

so yeah, this technically brings it up to 14, but it would be the 13th rerelease/remake/remaster. at least more effort went into shopping this around than re2 when it was ported to the dreamcast and gamecube.

Dunkley

How hard would it be to open a bunch of files in a 3D rendering programming and rerender them at a higher resolution?

Hard if you don't keep the files around.

No thanks on that Remaster though, I'm better off finding a Wii copy of ReMake and letting the WiiU upscale the output as a whole.

Top Bottom