• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V confirmed 30fps 1080p on both Xbox One and Playstation 4 (read post #217)

SfHzt3H.gif

Frankly, I think we should expect a very CPU punitive game, and compute heavy as well.
Hopefully the baseline is low enough to allow many to play it, but the ceiling will certainly be high.

There are rumors that GTA 5 PC might support Mantle. It could be a real game changer in this game.
Mantle? Interesting... IV was an Nvidia title.

What if there are differences that aren't huge? What do you consider the tipping point for evil parity conspiracies or lazy devs?

I ask because this parity shit is hilarious to me as someone who plays primarily on PC. If I lost my shit and refused to buy any game that might underutilize my hardware, I basically wouldn't have purchased a single new title starting about half way through last-gen.

It's a curious thing to refuse something that meets your normal expectation because it's not better enough than what someone else is getting. Kinda sends the message that you care so much about the supremacy of your box of choice that you'll willingly forgo games that you'd otherwise enjoy.

If I get called an Xbox One apologist, that will make my day.

Is this the reverse version of "Why don't you buy a PC if you care so much about differences" argument? I am not sure.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The framerate was expected. I'm surprised though about the One being 1080p. Hopefully the tradeoff was worth it, everyone deserves to play this game in the highest quality.

I have a hard time believing that when explosions are happening and physics and particles are going wild that both systems will maintain that locked 30fps.

Does this mean PS4 is capable of a framerate between 30 and 60 fps and R* decided to work on a steady 30 instead ?

Probably, yes. Locking it at 30 will most certainly give the PS4 version more room to work with before dropping below 30. A likely scenario is that the PS4 could run unlocked in the 40-50's, while the XB1 in the 30-40's. The XB1 has less room to work with, and will probably be more likely to drop below 30 (if either one were to drop below 30).

Developers tend to prefer a locked 30 because you don't get any jumps in framerate (from 50 to say 30), and because 30 works well with most display refresh rates.

Another scenario is that the PS4 might have slightly better effects, or something like that, and in this situation the two versions might be running at similar framerates.

Either way, I think owners of both consoles should be happy.

On Demand

Banned
Resolution and framerate for me are the absolute most important things. I'll happily take a reduction in graphics quality to get a steady 1080p/60fps.

I would have been completely OK if the graphics stayed the same from the PS3/360 version, but upgraded to 1080p/60fps.

Nevertheless, I am happy with 1080p/30fps for GTAV on PS4/Xbox One.

Yeah i like my resolutions and framerates too. I'm just saying when both consoles run a game at 1080p that doesn't mean parity or the gap is closing. There's a million different things going on inside a games engine besides resolution.

We'll see how much better the PS4 version is.

Patroclos

Banned
I have to wonder why R* would intentionally not take full advantage of the PS4's significant power difference.

I expected 1080/60 or 1440/30, this flagrant slap in the face of PS4 owners is completely unacceptable.

Hey Miles, since you are going to troll, enjoy the touch pad functionality and speaker support. Did Rockstar put rumble trigger support in? If not you better get on those lazy devs...

RetroStu

Banned
Has anyone ever thought that this game doesn't push either console too hard?, it is an updated last gen game after all. There are not always going to be differences between both versions of games, especially if both consoles are not being pushed to the limits.

x3sphere

Its really sad when HD remakes can't get 60fps on hardware that is nearly a decade newer. Rockstar has always been about pushing graphics over fps but jesus christ.

GTA games have historically been very demanding on CPU. The CPU inside Xbox One and PS4 is not a big leap over last-gen. I imagine it's a big limitation here for 60 FPS.

Has anyone ever thought that this game doesn't push either console too hard?, it is an updated last gen game after all. There are not always going to be differences between both versions of games, especially if both consoles are not being pushed to the limits.

Pretty much any game can "push hard" if you crank up certain settings (AA, tessellation, etc.) up enough. It doesn't really work that way.

Kezen

Banned
Mantle? Interesting... IV was an Nvidia title.
Max Payne 3 as well. Nvidia and Rockstar seem to have a good relationship but word on the street is GTA 5 will be an AMD Gaming Evolved game, with a possible Mantle support.
Given that the game will very likely use a lot of GPU compute to make up as much as possible for the lackluster Jaguar cores, it's a foregone conclusion that AMD 200 series will shine, along with Maxwell.

I really hope Mantle support will be confirmed, it could be THE killer-ap AMD need.

Occam

Hopefully they utilize PS4's twice as powerful GPU in some meaningful way, eg by giving the PS4 version more stable framerate, better anti-aliasing, draw distance, effects etc.

ironcreed

Banned
A win all around. It's looking they have done an incredible job on the next-gen versions, making this very much worth a buy whether you have already played it or not.

I was on the fence about picking up the PS4 edition instead of waiting out the Steam release... but this news makes the wait for the PC version in January all the easier.

I will wait for DF to make a final judgement, but I am going to be severely disappointed in R* if there are not any real differences between the 2 versions.

virtualS

There are so many variables to games beyond resolution that I'm not bothered unless a dev explicitly states that they are making their game look identical on non identical hardware to avoid debates and stuff while also claiming to push hardware.

RetroStu

Banned
Pretty much any game can "push hard" if you crank up certain settings (AA, tessellation, etc.) up enough. It doesn't really work that way.

What i mean is maybe they simply made the game they set out to make and it isn't pushing either console to the limit. Or maybe it is but they had to work much harder to get the X1 version to the same level.

You're telling me some people genuinely believe MS is "gimping" the PS4 in a few multiplatform games ?
I always thought they were sarcastic.

I'm deathly serious. Look at the evidence.

Assassins Creed Unity - 900/30 on both consoles, even though one has a benchmarked power difference of nearly 50% in its favour.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Inexplicably has frame-rate and lighting issues that aren't in the X1 version, even though there's a 50% power difference in the PS4 favour

And now this, Sure, it's a PS marketed game, but it's clear that MS got to R* in some way. Probably has something to do with that $50m loan MS gave them all those years ago.

Cant tell if srs?

You do realize running at a consistent 60fps is exactly twice as difficult as running at a consistent 30fps (in single gpu situations where the bottleneck is the gpu and vram is not an issue). I know the ps4 is more powerful than the xbox1 but lets be srs here. Its not a PC (insert elitism)

Funny thing is, I would put money on this game not even staying at 30fps during action, I bet the slowdowns are going to be pretty common.

There's no excuse for a game being 1080/30 on two platforms when one platform has a 50% power difference in its favour.

It's only logical that that 50% should be used to increase either the resolution or frame-rate and yet it does neither. It's suspicious and I'm stunned anyone is trying to brush this off.

How can it not be taken a legit slap in the face to PS4 owners? What is the reason behind R* not tapping that additional power?

Even Square Enix tapped that power to make Tomb raider superior on the PS4 and yet R* settle for parity?

Something stinks...

Figments

I have to wonder why R* would intentionally not take full advantage of the PS4's significant power difference.

I expected 1080/60 or 1440/30, this flagrant slap in the face of PS4 owners is completely unacceptable.

I was waiting for you, Miles.

You did not disappoint.

omonimo

Banned
What i mean is maybe they simply made the game they set out to make and it isn't pushing either console to the limit. Or maybe it is but they had to work much harder to get the X1 version to the same level.
Xbone bandwith it's a mess compared the Ps4.I really doubt they will be on par.

Top Bottom